closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: World athletics. London

World athletics. London

Anyone been watching ? I think it's been a very poor show for team GB.
    they wanted / expected 6 to 8 medal. Be lucky to get 3 now.

There's a lot of 'young blood' in our team and I think they've done very well.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It's been a poor show for the toothless IAAF, a shambles of an organisation that fails the athletes and public in equal measure and has done for years.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It's been a poor show for the toothless IAAF, a shambles of an organisation that fails the athletes and public in equal measure and has done for years.
    What a farce with the sprinter from Botswana ? Pathetic. Felt sorry for him

Haven't most of them got the runs?

They might get round the track quicker - every cloud.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    There's a lot of 'young blood' in our team and I think they've done very well.

R
    Rubbish. Underperformed and they are mentally soft. Many high profile athletes didn't go to the UK championships so they could be ready for the world championships. Worked out well hasn't it?
    Last edited by ronin; 9th August 2017 at 05:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Rubbish. Underperformed and they are mentally soft. Many high profile athletes didn't go to the UK championships so they could be ready for the world championships. Worked out well hasn't it?
    Harsh but fair. Laura Muir ran like an idiot in the 1500 metres final. Her rivals would have been overjoyed when she decided to take on the role of pacemaker for them. Holly Bradshaw in the pole vault did what she does best, which is fluff it each time she reaches a final. Katarina Johnson-Thompson usually makes a fist of the shot put and javelin throw in the heptathlon. This time she added the high jump to the list of events she struggles with. Andrew Pozzi finally arrives at a major championships injury-free and promptly fails to make it to the final of the 110 metres hurdles.

As with most things, we're not as good as we think we are.

We've had a good few years with a number of truly world beating athletes. That has now come to an end and we're returning to the fairly mediocre nation that we have historically always been.

The glory years were never going to last forever, we just need to lower our expectations.

Master
    And another thing: Holly Bradshaw in the pole vault at this and other major events. What's this nonsense of looking to her coach in the crowd and waiting for him to give her the command to take off down the runway? This bizarre ritual happens every time she jumps.
    Well done to her coach for producing an athlete totally unable to think for herself.

It's good to see the upper classes, double barrelled names, competing and showing their mettle.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

The 6-8 medal target is/was what is known as a stretch-target - in order to achieve it the identified potential medal athletes would have had to hit way beyond their PB's, so it was always unlikely.

That said, what is disappointing is the number of athletes who haven't hit SB's, given that this would have been designated their peak event for the year. :(
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 13th August 2017 at 21:27.

Master
    Don't follow it but was listening to the sports segment on Radio 4 this morning and the presenter said something like blah, blah, he only missed a medal by 4 tenths of a second.

It doesnt matter if it was 4 tenths or 4 weeks he lost....why is it ok to congratulate a nearly won, the mind boggles.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Don't follow it but was listening to the sports segment on Radio 4 this morning and the presenter said something like blah, blah, he only missed a medal by 4 tenths of a second.

It doesnt matter if it was 4 tenths or 4 weeks he lost....why is it ok to congratulate a nearly won, the mind boggles.
    4th in the world is still a great achievement. With that attitude you might as well call the silver medallist the first of the losers

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    4th in the world is still a great achievement. With that attitude you might as well call the silver medallist the first of the losers
    And she would be correct!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    And she would be correct!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Shame about the weather for them tonight though

Can't wait till friday, Daphne Schippers running 200m......

Daphneeeee!!!!!!

What's that BBC presenter think she looks like in pristine leather motorcycle jacket and massive stiletto heels? The word "inappropriate" came to mind.

Holly Bradshaw. What a mess. The coach needs to be shot, I fully agree with the comment above.

Craftsman
    Well it finished well tonight!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Feel bad for Mo and Bolt. Bit of a changing of the guard this championship

The relays 4x100 awesome they just kicked butt come on GB and well done Mo on his silver, it was a tough race. Shame on Bolt pulling up in the relay, we went today was great fun

I've really enjoyed hearing Jessica Ennis-Hill's former coach Toni Minichello's pundetry. Brilliant to finslly her about events and athelte technique from a qualified, medal producing coch, really enhances the coverage for me, well done BBC.

As for Denise Lewis, Daley Thompson and Colin Jackson...............please give me strength!

World athletics. London

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I've really enjoyed hearing Jessica Ennis-Hill's former coach Toni Minichello's pundetry. Brilliant to finslly her about events and athelte technique from a qualified, medal producing coch, really enhances the coverage for me, well done BBC.

As for Denise Lewis, Daley Thompson and Colin Jackson...............please give me strength!

I've nothing against Toni Minichello as he's a great coach but to criticise three gold medalists is just wrong.

No one knows their sports better than the athletes themselves!

Master
    I've nothing against Toni Minichello as he's a great coach but to criticise three gold medalists is just wrong.

Agreed. But Michael Johnson is head and shoulders above them as a pundit. Always worth listening to.

The guy also happened to win four Olympic golds and eight World Championships golds. A true legend of track and field.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 13th August 2017 at 09:45.

Not necessarily. A coach may have a broader perspective, coached many athletes.

Craftsman
    Makes me laugh all the negativity. We came 3rd overall in the Olympics last year which would have been unheard of years before. We've improved as a nation unbelievably over the last couple of decades (I'd expect mainly due to lottery funding) and I think the problem is now that we're expected to win rather than hoped for.

Yes it appears we had a bad time of it but slating them won't help. I also found it somewhat frustrating with all the commentators were saying the USA were going to win the relay when actually we trounced them with the 3rd fastest time ever recorded, and yet it hardly seemed to raise any excitement amongst them.
    To busy blubbering about bolt pulling a muscle.

Medal target met :)

Well my prediction of 3 or 4 medals blew out the window
    Great relays for GB
    i still think a few athletes didn't perform well

Master
    BBC coverage terrible. Can someone please get rid of Denise Lewis

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Medal target met :)
    Yes but only one individual athlete won medals! We often win medals in the relays anyway so winning medals in all 4 relay events, which is a great achievement, is only papering over the cracks.

Winning the relay events is like winning the Ryder Cup. It's fantastic but do they have the ability to step up and win medals in the individual events where it counts. Looking at the groups, I'm not sure...
    Last edited by ronin; 14th August 2017 at 07:41.

Blog Entries
    The Dutch did good. In fact, this was the best World Championship achievement ever for the Dutch squad - we did better during the Olympics, btw. All medals were won by women, we have a long tradition of women performing in athletics (Fanny Blankers Koen: 4x gold on the 1948 London Olympics started it this).

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Yes but only one individual athlete won medals! We often win medals in the relays anyway so winning medals in all 4 relay events, which is a great achievement, is only papering over the cracks.
    Not sure it's really as bad as you make out.

We had a lot of young athletes just outside the medals, settings PBs, etc, in the first year of the 'olympic cycle' (nothing to do with bikes).

These, if sustained (of course, no guarantee of this), are great results for upcoming athletes and bode very well for the next Olympic games. Also Adam Gemili, who was the outstanding performer in the 4x100 relay wasn't fit for the trials for the individual sprints, so may well have added to the tally.

Hitting the target of 6 medals depended on older athletes performing at their best and some didn't (for whatever reason).

Looking forward, I think this was actually a pretty positive championship and, however achieved, the mission was accomplished even without some of the expected performers performing.

M

PS Is "Fanny Blankers Koen" a work safe search term?