closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember Ming Thein? He has his own watch brand now

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Probably will be more expensive and complicated though now he has tested the waters, I'm not in the market for a tourbillon or minute repeater or whatever...
    i think the idea is to have a mix of simple and more complicated watches. Complicated also means more cost, R&D and risk on his side too, so will have to be a bit wary of that I think. But I doubt Ming is disillusioned by the fact one watch gives him total license to charge $$$ more for a product that doesn't deserve it. It goes against the ethos of the brand too.

Master
    Good review buddaaaayyyy! It does look a good bit smaller than the GO but looks good in the pics on your wrist. The dial is a nice mix between traditional and some of the more design-led minimalist styles you always on Paul Smith shirt-wearing architects and the like! 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    i think the idea is to have a mix of simple and more complicated watches. Complicated also means more cost, R&D and risk on his side too, so will have to be a bit wary of that I think. But I doubt Ming is disillusioned by the fact one watch gives him total license to charge $$$ more for a product that doesn't deserve it. It goes against the ethos of the brand too.
    Oh I'm not suggesting he will take the piss but rather it will be beyond my budget!

Oh I'm not suggesting he will take the piss but rather it will be beyond my budget!
    I dunno, I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a few simpler watches in the same price range. Maybe a tad higher(?) but they have to be careful if prices rise too much. Part of the charm has been the affordable-ish price point.

Noticed on insta today last batch going on sale tomorrow (Sunday) UK time 2pm. If you're interested, be ready on the buzzer!

Journeyman
    I just managed to order an anthracite one. Not sure why I did it and forgot about import duty....

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

It's a fantastic watch - still like mine. Worth every bit of the price. Allegedly one on chrono24 went for $3k or so!

Selling on will be fine. Wish I got the anthracite too, but happy with blue!

Master
    It's a fantastic watch - still like mine. Worth every bit of the price. Allegedly one on chrono24 went for $3k or so!

Selling on will be fine. Wish I got the anthracite too, but happy with blue!
    And I am very happy with mine. Have recently received a Stowa MABLE with a blue dial, and because of the Ming it has not got a look in - it is just a bit "boring" in comparison.

Beautiful looking watches. I was very tempted to purchase a blue one myself in this last round, but I decided against it at last minute for some reason. I think I had resale value in the back of my mind in case I didn't like it, but reading the above, I guess that wouldn't have been an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    And I am very happy with mine. Have recently received a Stowa MABLE with a blue dial, and because of the Ming it has not got a look in - it is just a bit "boring" in comparison.
    Indeed, it's a very wearable watch. My only issue are the straps, too stiff for me even though the quality looks ok.

As for resale - wouldn't have been an issue. Reason being a lot of 'serious' collectors seem to really like it and a 'consensus' of being under priced.

Personally think the price was spot on. Any higher and it wouldn't have done so well.

Craftsman
    I've only just read this thread - what a shame I didn't see it 2 days ago, as I have obviously missed out on this round. I've registered for the newsletter, so hopefully I'll have an opportunity next time.

I think both versions of the 17.1 look stunning, and I like the fact that it, to my eyes at least, looks like 2 stunning dials.

I can imagine each looking superb in sunshine, as well as other lights.

If I had to choose one (which I am not in a position to!), I'd probably go for the blue dial.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Can't believe I missed it again! I was on the page refreshing before the announced time, had it added to cart but didn't manage to pay fast enough. I had a pleasant conversation with Ming afterwards, he said it depended on speed of the payment processor as they didn't have a way to reserve upon adding to cart. There will be a successor to the 17.01 as well as a flagship model coming towards the end of the year, neither of which will be limited editions.

Also sounds like he has grand plans with a whole series of designs and sub brands.

I'm still gutted I missed out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
    I just managed to order an anthracite one. Not sure why I did it and forgot about import duty....

How much will it be by the time it arrives do you think?

Can't believe I missed it again! I was on the page refreshing before the announced time, had it added to cart but didn't manage to pay fast enough. I had a pleasant conversation with Ming afterwards, he said it depended on speed of the payment processor as they didn't have a way to reserve upon adding to cart. There will be a successor to the 17.01 as well as a flagship model coming towards the end of the year, neither of which will be limited editions.

Also sounds like he has grand plans with a whole series of designs and sub brands.

I'm still gutted I missed out!
    Oh thats a shame! Maybe you get lucky in the secondary market in a few months.

I'm hopefully going to see the flagship in Nov, will report back. The successor should also be in the same philosophy as the 1701. A bit unfortunate they're not going to be limited, but makes this a little special

Journeyman
    How much will it be by the time it arrives do you think?
    I have sent a DM

Journeyman
    I have sent a DM

Mindforge your inbox is full

Oh thats a shame! Maybe you get lucky in the secondary market in a few months.

I'm hopefully going to see the flagship in Nov, will report back. The successor should also be in the same philosophy as the 1701. A bit unfortunate they're not going to be limited, but makes this a little special
    That will be interesting! Do report back.

That will be interesting! Do report back.
    I've actually seen a few sketches already, but can't say much ;)

But if Ming can pull off the ideas he wants it'll be a true flagship.

If you're at Salon QP you may catch it ;)

Journeyman
    Hi, as I said in earlier post I purchased mine as a bit of an impulse. Therefore I have listed for sale on eBay. This is not intended to be a way of avoiding SC (I don’t have enough posts to post there yet) but I am willing to sell to a forum member at cost if you PM me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just got a message that Ming watches have released their new upcoming watch - the 19.01. This is meant to be the flagship of the brand, and looking at the product page it certainly looks out there. What do people think?

https://ming.watch/products/19-01

Craftsman
    The back looks great. The front looks Fossil.

Master
    Back looks great, not that I care about display backs, but front is not remotely attractive

The front is definitely out there. I'll be reserving judgement till tomorrow when I see it in real life

But 5k?

Craftsman
    the 19.01 dial looks incredible and the movement looks brill too.

Shame about the price though

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    But 5k?
    Its proper haute horloge. He wanted Richard Mille level as a minimum for the finishing. And the dials come from some of the best.

Bang for buck probably worth it - but if people like it is another thing.

I'm not fully convinced about the dial but I think all that sapphire makes it difficult to actually appreciate.

I really like that - looks like you could get lost staring into that dial, and the 100+ hr reserve is great.

And it's so appreciated the they've not gone all wrist mounted dinner plate and kept it at 39mm and 11mm thick.

But I won't be buying one.

Banned
    I think the price point is correct. I love everything about it and the I think it's a winner.

I wouldn't stretch to its retail price but maybe half of that. no doubt this will sell out easily.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I really like that - looks like you could get lost staring into that dial, and the 100+ hr reserve is great.

And it's so appreciated the they've not gone all wrist mounted dinner plate and kept it at 39mm and 11mm thick.

But I won't be buying one.

Pretty much my thoughts. Like everything about it bar the price.

Master
    If you squint it has a similar overall aesthetic to a Moser. I’d much rather have a Moser personally but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    If you squint it has a similar overall aesthetic to a Moser. I’d much rather have a Moser personally but each to their own.
    Moser really p*sed me off last year at salonqp. Totally ignored me at their stand and just brushed me off. Didn't get a chance at all to play with their watches.

Soured me off their watches totally despite liking their designs. Funny how experiences like that shape opinions. Will ignore them completely tomorrow I think.

Master
    ^
    Are you planning on buying one soon?
    If so, then maybe you could use this opportunity to express your disappointment and annoyance – this year’s representative, if not the same as last year, may wish to make amends for what happened then.
    You might be offered a free factory visit by way of atonement.

I saw. Hm not sure, movement looks fantastic from the back. I don't really like the skeletonised hands. Difficult to imagine the effect of the solid sapphire without seeing it in real life. Price is beyond my reach.

What do you think?

@PJS - not sure I'd ever buy a Moser after my experience.

@mindforge - reserving judgement till tomorrow. Concern for me is legibility of dial since the markers on the crystal seem to sit on the transparent section of the dial. And how the fade effect looks in real life.

The movement is stunning - I cannot think of anything in the same price range with a movement that can compete.

It looks better on the Hodinkee site with real photos. I'm going to hold out for the 17.02. This new release has cemented my desire for a blue dial rather than grey...

I got some proper time with the 19.01 at SalonQP and wanted to report back.

Case - the watch is slightly bigger at 39mm and wears better than the 17.01 - the added thickness and near zero bezel makes it a lovely size. The lugs are a bit odd in this prototype and will be changed in the final to not be so angular (if that is the right word). Otherwise the sapphires dominate and it is a visual treat. There is a lot of sapphire and I am happy they've managed to get AR done properly on this watch - it was a bit pants on the 17.01.

Dial - will divide people, but its brilliant. And I've been assured the gradient will be even better for the final production and will touch the edges more so than the prototype. The markers sit on the top glass and I was still concerned with legibility, but again I've been told it will be more 'white' and legible for the final. Lastly tons and tons of X1 lume which is amazing.

Movement - not all the angulage had been done properly on this prototype and it wasn't fully Rhodium coated, but you can see it is an impressive movement. It has a lovely depth to it and frankly I don't know of any movements even up to 20/25k (?) if not higher that compete. I saw Armin Strom and they shared some very similar cues in the skeletonisation - but at much much higher prices. I guess we leave final judgement for the production version, but it is gorgeous.

Overall brilliant watch, the only thing at the show which was of interest in the same range was the Habring2 Doppel 3 chrono which unfortunately is now like £7k. For £5/6k I don't know if you'd find such a unique watch. But at the same time I can totally understand if the visual styling is not to your liking.

Pics next post (need to do it from phone....)

And the pics!

The Ming is very much growing on me. The dial is stunning.

Thank you for sharing your more 'real' shots.

Master
    I think I like it. Honestly, it’s so different I’m finding it hard to be sure. I certainly admire it.

I also saw this yesterday and was very impressed.

Untitled

Soooo thought I'd update this thread and inform anyone interested that I ordered the 19.01

In the end I sat down with my collection and thought about what direction I want to take it in. I've not had major re-structuring for a while and my last watch (Daytona) meant the money put in watches was at the max - so selling would be required.

Having tried many of the higher 'mainstream' brands its time to change it up and my watch journey I think takes me to 'independent'/smaller watch makers. I did a hell of a lot of looking around of what fits in my eventual budget of £15k (once I sell off some watches...) and really nothing comes close to the Ming for the price.

I think I'll be ordering an Ochs und Junior too over the coming months too to round out my intro into this slippery slope! Admittedly this comes with a risk of residuals, but hey ho that is the game!!!

Wow I'm sure that will be something to behold in real life!

Wow I'm sure that will be something to behold in real life!
    It certainly left an impression after SalonQP that's for sure! I admit though for most the price is maybe too much of a gamble. I hope Ming gets better recognition for this watch when it finally hits the street (sometime in July) - it really is interesting.

Personally I don't see the difference between Ming and say Czapek - which also is a 'new' brand (operational last year), they bought the rights to the name. Yet they don't get the same comments on price despite having the same approach to sourcing components to fulfil their vision.

It certainly left an impression after SalonQP that's for sure! I admit though for most the price is maybe too much of a gamble. I hope Ming gets better recognition for this watch when it finally hits the street (sometime in July) - it really is interesting.

Personally I don't see the difference between Ming and say Czapek - which also is a 'new' brand (operational last year), they bought the rights to the name. Yet they don't get the same comments on price despite having the same approach to sourcing components to fulfil their vision.
    I wouldn't worry about it if you love it, especially having handled it in person. I'm interested to see the next model...

I wouldn't worry about it if you love it, especially having handled it in person. I'm interested to see the next model...
    Nah not worried - just puzzled by the reactions, though it no doubt is in part due to coming out with such a well priced first watch. I think somewhere in Jan/Feb for the next one, should be much, cheaper - though I imagine still a bit more up on the 17.01. That really was massively underpriced....

Nah not worried - just puzzled by the reactions, though it no doubt is in part due to coming out with such a well priced first watch. I think somewhere in Jan/Feb for the next one, should be much, cheaper - though I imagine still a bit more up on the 17.01. That really was massively underpriced....
    Ah well let me know if you want to give up your 17.01 once its big brother arrives!

Journeyman
    Did you pay full list price for the 19.01? I am not sure I agree that the 17.01 was massively underpriced - I had one briefly and it felt about right for the watch and the accessories. I think they surprised themselves with the effectiveness of their marketing and the desire to have a limited edition of a first watch from an obviously innovative new kid on the block.

I wish them well, as someone above said it is great to see this level of innovation and creativity. But as the prices creep up (eg Habring2) so does the risk to the collector and volume sales may be more difficult to achieve.

Did you pay full list price for the 19.01? I am not sure I agree that the 17.01 was massively underpriced - I had one briefly and it felt about right for the watch and the accessories. I think they surprised themselves with the effectiveness of their marketing and the desire to have a limited edition of a first watch from an obviously innovative new kid on the block.

I wish them well, as someone above said it is great to see this level of innovation and creativity. But as the prices creep up (eg Habring2) so does the risk to the collector and volume sales may be more difficult to achieve.

Yes - I paid the 'special' price if ordered this year.

I agree with you about them likely being surprised on market effectiveness; but is the uplift of the secondary market price a reflection on being underpriced for the quality? I say that because it is unusual for a new brand to get such an uplift, regardless of it being limited?

In theory the 19.01 should be their most expensive watch by quite some distance. They introduced this flagship model second (as opposed to a direct 17.01 successor) so people don't think they're just 'cheap' watches, but to really show they will give value at all levels of haute horologie. I doubt we see a follow up to the 19.01 for some years, I still have to wait till August to get mine!

A wee bump of this thread for those interested - noticed Ming has released a new watch in the 'value' 17 series range. A GMT watch this time with matching titanium bracelet. Hodinkee article here have a piece - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-ming-1703-gmt

Traveling on crappy internet so can't upload pics. My own thoughts - like the burgendy colour, highly underrated for a watch. I have the same ish on my Seiko Landmaster. As for the GMT, its so hard to do 'properly' with an independent hand for the local time for this price range. Plus no date, which I guess is to limit confusion with the GMT implemented as is but I would find a must on a travelers watch. Price I think is reasonable at 1650 CHF with two extra straps too. My 1701 is very well made and am sure this is the same.

Any thoughts from people here?