closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember Ming Thein? He has his own watch brand now

Remember Ming Thein? He has his own watch brand now

As someone who is a little cold on boutique watches, I think this is brilliantly executed, and really quite fabulous.

Yes I would have preferred a more conventional "9" and a sterile dial rather than Ming's name, but these are minor when the whole is viewed.

If I wasn't putting some money aside for an Ochs und Junior, a brand that also seems to have inspired Ming, I would be all over this.

I wish him well, and I think he's off to a strong start with a tremendous creation

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Already been advised of the watch being shipped. And a nice communication from Ming as well, as I dropped him a note.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    A lot of comments about the 9 but maybe it works on the wrist? When you check the time from arms by your side it's more of a tilt the watch towards you and arm at maybe 45' rarely do I actually bring my arm up and hold it perfectly 90' and read the time. Might it make more sense then?

People obviously tend to take pictures of a watch dead upright and I guess it looks wrong in pics.
    The 3 will look even more wrong on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Already been advised of the watch being shipped. And a nice communication from Ming as well, as I dropped him a note.
    You'll be definitely getting yours before mine, look forward to the impressions! Ming always responds and maintains a contact with his clients which is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The 3 will look even more wrong on the wrist.
    The 9 and 3 are the right way up relative to the person reading the watch on their wrist. Facing inwards means you can't actually read the numbers in the correct manner.

Master
    And my watch is already here - very nice indeed. If I could work out how to post pictures now, I would do so.

Some nice touches, with a wood, not over large, box, the guarantee on a titanium card, and a nice watch roll for the watch within the box.

Journeyman
    Lovely looking watch and a good size case. I love the dial, it's very attractive in the grey or the blue.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app

And my watch is already here - very nice indeed. If I could work out how to post pictures now, I would do so.

Some nice touches, with a wood, not over large, box, the guarantee on a titanium card, and a nice watch roll for the watch within the box.
    What dial colour did you go for? And congrats on the incoming!

A hands on over on hodinkee has also appeared with more 'real life' pics. They seem to be full of praise of the watch too:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...d-ming-watches

I prefer the matt finish cases to the polished versions & I like the hand set, but the dial / numerals are not to my taste.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I prefer the matt finish cases to the polished versions & I like the hand set, but the dial / numerals are not to my taste.
    As if we didn't already know it's all down to personal taste... I really like the dial, can understand the numbers but don't like the handset, seems out of sync with the rest of the watch to my eyes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    What dial colour did you go for? And congrats on the incoming!

A hands on over on hodinkee has also appeared with more 'real life' pics. They seem to be full of praise of the watch too:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...d-ming-watches
    Thanks for the link to the article, and the photos. I have the anthracite dial, which is very different to that of any others of my watches.

Oh - and on my wrist the 3 / 9 issue does not bother me, indeed, the 9 looks correct when looking down my arm at the watch. So thanks to those that suggested that would be the case.

Thanks for the link to the article, and the photos. I have the anthracite dial, which is very different to that of any others of my watches.

Oh - and on my wrist the 3 / 9 issue does not bother me, indeed, the 9 looks correct when looking down my arm at the watch. So thanks to those that suggested that would be the case.
    Good to hear the 3/9 is a non issue on the wrist - the most important place.

Ming has sold out the first batch of around 100 and I think the next 200 is close to fully reserved. Then the series is done and dusted, so if you're interested best get your name on the list, otherwise whatever 1702 brings....

Any real life photos from anyone who has received theirs? Love the design of the lugs, the detail on the dial and the material choices. Plus the straps are a bonus!

Too small for me but really nice :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Any real life photos from anyone who has received theirs? Love the design of the lugs, the detail on the dial and the material choices. Plus the straps are a bonus!
    Unfortunately mine isn't due till end Sept (I have a later serial number reserved....) - but the Hodinkee article is probably the best for 'real life'. Also check out mingwatches on instagram for some more pics. He did a podcast chat with a ablogtowatch which I listened to and its impressive the attention to detail he's taken. For instance buckles already added (the pin for the buckle went through 3 revisions...) and the quick strap changing system.

The demand has been good too, apparently 3x over the remaining available amount - if you are interested, add yourself to the notification on http://ming.watch. Ming isn't taking reservations and will send a notification when in stock and give people the chance to order when available.

The watches are all made but will be arriving in 2 more batches, one end Aug and the other mid Sept - the reason for this is to get the testing for 250hrs/5 positions done properly.

Hope that helps!

Master
    Well - been wearing mine since it arrived. Have not got the hang of uploading pictures since my Photobucket account passed away. In any event, there are so many excellent pictures out there that I could not emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    it says "MING" on the dial, which means something different in Manchester at least.
    Yes. That's where lm at - deal breaker...

...shame, because they look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Yes. That's where lm at - deal breaker...

...shame, because they look ok.
    Watchmakers have been adorning dials with their names since the beginning of watchmaking. Ming should be proud with his creation and his name and put it front and centre on the watch.

Just because his name sounds a bit 'foreign' or we can take the mickey out of it is a bit naive really. Stop being so narrow-minded.

I've registered my interest. I agree I really respect the thoughts that has gone into the design process and it looks like a lot of that will be revealed the more you wear it.

I was just hoping to see some normal photos, as all the ones out there are such high quality they look unreal!

Journeyman
    A lot more interested in this watch after the more real-life pictures turning up.

Lack of second hand initially was off putting but think it works with the watch's art deco style and seeing the pictures on Hodinkee.

Names down for the next batch but unlikely to get a opportunity to buy but very interested to see the next edition he brings out.

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    As if we didn't already know it's all down to personal taste
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Unfortunately I missed this thread - and the introduction of this watch - completely. I've registered my interest and hope to get my hands on one in the end. I think it's a beautiful watch, very well proportioned and with some really interesting stylistic choices.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Unfortunately I missed this thread - and the introduction of this watch - completely. I've registered my interest and hope to get my hands on one in the end. I think it's a beautiful watch, very well proportioned and with some really interesting stylistic choices.
    I agree and a lot cheaper than F P Journe or whatever the closest rival is!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    I have done exactly the same!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Funny that there are no lume shots given the hands are coated in super luminova, I bet it looks great. Are the numerals and rings also coated with lume?

Journeyman
    Blue or anthracite? I love the blue but the anthracite catches the light better.....

Funny that there are no lume shots given the hands are coated in super luminova, I bet it looks great. Are the numerals and rings also coated with lume?
    Yes seems all are coated with lime - not sure how good it'll be though. I doubt super strong otherwise we'd have seen a proper shot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
    Blue or anthracite? I love the blue but the anthracite catches the light better.....

Anthracite does catch the light better, but blue seems more interesting. I vote blue, but more because I don't have a decent blue dial watch in the stable.

If undecided, Ming designed the watch around anthracite and blue was a later addition.

Watchmakers have been adorning dials with their names since the beginning of watchmaking. Ming should be proud with his creation and his name and put it front and centre on the watch.

Just because his name sounds a bit 'foreign' or we can take the mickey out of it is a bit naive really. Stop being so narrow-minded.
    The name doesn't sound "a bit foreign" - it says "Ming", which also, unfortunately, means jaw-droppingly foul in England.

If you knew how broad-minded l actually am you would most likely recoil in horror...😊

imo a fantastic watch and I will buy one :-)

Master
    Think I have finally worked out how to post images!

Think I have finally worked out how to post images!
    ]
    Good news.
    Pretty soon you will figure out how to wear a watch:-)
    On a serious note, looks good.

Looks fantastic, thanks for posting. Straps look good too!

Looks fantastic, thanks for posting. Straps look good too!
    Missed the pics - very nice! The anthracite and blue dials seem like totally different watches with the way the light plays with the 'digital guilloche'. Am (im)patiently waiting for mine, still a month off!

I think the next batch is coming around the 25th Aug mindforge, so keep eyes peeled for when they're back in stock.

Craftsman
    I like the overall design but my brain can't help but read the dial as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 1 8 6 10 11 0

Missed the pics - very nice! The anthracite and blue dials seem like totally different watches with the way the light plays with the 'digital guilloche'. Am (im)patiently waiting for mine, still a month off!

I think the next batch is coming around the 25th Aug mindforge, so keep eyes peeled for when they're back in stock.
    Thanks, yes I will! Reckon I'll go for blue depending on availability.

that is pretty impressive ....

Being mentioned on bloomberg! and this for such a small newcomer

https://www.bloomberg.com/search?query=ming

it is the Hodinkee article but still, the French would say 'Il faut le faire'

Journeyman
    Can anyone give any more insight into exact release date and time? If Ming is based in a different time zone we may be at a disadvantage in the U.K. to respond to the email and nab a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno.M View Post
    that is pretty impressive ....

Being mentioned on bloomberg! and this for such a small newcomer

https://www.bloomberg.com/search?query=ming

it is the Hodinkee article but still, the French would say 'Il faut le faire'
    I do wonder who else in Ming's team. For a start-up one watch microbrand Ming has certainly has mastered the art of media exposure.

There really is lume?
    Can we have a lume shot please!?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I do wonder who else in Ming's team. For a start-up one watch microbrand Ming has certainly has mastered the art of media exposure.
    Ming's been involved in the online watch world since it pretty much kicked off in the early 2000s. Plus he's worked a fair bit with watch brands with his photography work. Naturally you end up building a heck of a network with all the main media outlets. That plus a well thought out product which a lot of seasoned collectors are liking (who all have good followers on instagram) will do a lot of the selling for you.

I think his team have been instrumental in making the connections with manufacturers etc to bring it all together.

As for timing of release - no idea.

Journeyman
    Looks like the next batch is set for release tomorrow at 14:00 on a first come basis.

Only 50 available (25 of each colour) so seems they are sticking to the original limited run of 300 pieces.

Journeyman
    They appear to be rolling it bit by bit. The site says the blue dial now due October. Now, this is either due to production problems or a carefully manage marketing approach to build anticipation, desire and therefore demand for the watch. As others have said in this thread they appear to be masters of media manipulation.

Well they say the watches are delivered in batches so they can be packaged, regulated and tested. This makes sense as it's obviously a small operation and the packaging comes from Malaysia so they ship from there. I don't think it needs to be some PR led conspiracy...

I'd agree with mindforge on this too...

I've had a good 4/5 days now with the Ming 1701 and thought I'd share my initial views:

Dial - I think the dial has had the most coverage, in short it is different and fun and keeps the wearer engaged with their watch. The play on light is hard to catch but I've tried in the pics below. The crystal has some reflections which makes it hard to photograph. Also have no issues with the 3/9 orientation - it works well for me. And the hands are clear and legible. Lume isn't the strongest, but I wasn't expecting much in this department.*

The most interesting aspect is that the blue dial seems to be a different experience from the anthracite. I wouldn't say one is better/worse, just different. Having only seen photos of the anthracite, it seems the blue pops a bit more, but the dial construction comes across more clearer on the anthracite.*

Case - in terms of dimensions the watch wears a little 'small' for my taste. I don't think its to do with the 38mm case size, it's because of the shorter lugs. I'm sure you guys played around with longer lugs and must have concluded this size works better.*

I'm a fan of titanium so no arguments from me on material choice. Finishes is a lot better than my IWC Ti Ingenieur and more interesting too with careful polishing which is more difficult. It certainly matches watches with prices in excess of $4/5k*

Crown - I was a bit worried that the shape was a bit too 'bulky' for the watch but that was not the case. Also nice and easy to grip and wind, so good design!

Strap/buckle - good quality leather from what I can see. The buckle has a nice, subtle curvature to it which sits comfortable on the wrist too.

Overall I'm happy with the watch. The team has shown they can not only design a good watch, but more importantly have the skills to execute it to a price point not too outrageous.

What I'd like to see going forward is the team push a few boundaries. The 1701 shows flair, but in a restrained sort of way. I'd like their next creation to take those design cues and be a little more brash!

Right some poor pics with a side by side too with my GO which is 42mm (to compare size). Will try upload a side by side with my other 38/39mm watches so you can see the effect of the smaller lugs.

And any questions fire away!

Thanks for the helpful write up. What attracts me is the relative novelty and innovation of the design and construction but also the value proposition which you support by your comparisons to far more pricey watches.

Looks quite big actually, particularly in the last photo! I do like the flared lugs, looks like it sits nicely on the wrist.

Did you get stung for import duty on the way in by the way?

Thanks for the helpful write up. What attracts me is the relative novelty and innovation of the design and construction but also the value proposition which you support by your comparisons to far more pricey watches.

Looks quite big actually, particularly in the last photo! I do like the flared lugs, looks like it sits nicely on the wrist.

Did you get stung for import duty on the way in by the way?
    It's a perspective thing - another pic from now a bit further away which shows it better. I also forgot to add the titanium makes it super light too. If you like heft in your watch maybe not for you!

I had mine delivered to the Netherlands - no escaping duty over here!

Damn, I was at a lunch and missed it, only 13 minutes late!

Damn, I was at a lunch and missed it, only 13 minutes late!
    Went in like 3 mins mate - gotta be on time

Went in like 3 mins mate - gotta be on time
    I know i know, I'd planned to but had a work commitment. Never mind, will try again mid October!

There's another model due in Q4 as well, I think.

I know i know, I'd planned to but had a work commitment. Never mind, will try again mid October!

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    There's another model due in Q4 as well, I think.
    Probably will be more expensive and complicated though now he has tested the waters, I'm not in the market for a tourbillon or minute repeater or whatever...