closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Remember Ming Thein? He has his own watch brand now

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Price I think is reasonable at 1650 CHF with two extra straps too. My 1701 is very well made and am sure this is the same.

Any thoughts from people here?
    Price is out of kilter with material – soft Grade 2 Ti… the stuff Seiko and Citizen uses in their cheap Titanium watches, albeit with their own proprietary coatings, Diashield & Duratect.
    Maybe he should’ve offered the bracelet as a cost option extra, and stuck with Grade 5 Ti for both, providing an ongoing revenue stream from those who fancy the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Price is out of kilter with material – soft Grade 2 Ti… the stuff Seiko and Citizen uses in their cheap Titanium watches, albeit with their own proprietary coatings, Diashield & Duratect.
    Maybe he should’ve offered the bracelet as a cost option extra, and stuck with Grade 5 Ti for both, providing an ongoing revenue stream from those who fancy the bracelet.
    Interesting comment and I never picked up in the text originally - I should also say, as opposed to the other 2 released Ming watches, I've not really spoken to Ming beforehand about this new release.

I have 3 Ti watches, 2 grade 5 (my 17.01 and Seiko landmaster) and my IWC AMG Ingenieur chrono i believe is grade 2. The Ming shiny parts scratch easily, the IWC too - so not sure if there are any tangible/real benefits to Grade 5 over 2 other than being able to polish? I just don't have enough experience with 'cheaper' Ti watches

Though I would say, the Landmaster seems to best them all in Ti quality - I'd be genuinely surprised if the GS Ti watches are better as a material (though finishing is of course on a totally different level such as for the Snowflake).

I'm not a bracelet guy in general, so I agree about that - i wonder if Ming could have got the cost closer to 1000 CHF without the bracelet? A better proposition?

Master
    Assuming you’re referring to the SBDB005, then it’s Grade 2 and Dia-Shield, hence the reason it’s still looking well.
    I’d be rather surprised that the IWC was pure Ti rather than Ti Alloy, but remember that although Ti is stronger and harder than 316 (which is harder than 904), it’s still relatively soft and prone to picking up marks.

After saying that, I suppose there’s a slight bit of material snobbery setting in, and if the dark hue was the main focus, in order to separate the two 17.xx models, then fair enough.
    One thing bugs me though, he seems absolutely fixated with 38mm as a case size – obviously he’s not the least bit interested in potential buyers who can’t wear sub-40mm without it looking ridiculous on their bigger wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Assuming you’re referring to the SBDB005, then it’s Grade 2 and Dia-Shield, hence the reason it’s still looking well.
    I’d be rather surprised that the IWC was pure Ti rather than Ti Alloy, but remember that although Ti is stronger and harder than 316 (which is harder than 904), it’s still relatively soft and prone to picking up marks.

After saying that, I suppose there’s a slight bit of material snobbery setting in, and if the dark hue was the main focus, in order to separate the two 17.xx models, then fair enough.
    One thing bugs me though, he seems absolutely fixated with 38mm as a case size – obviously he’s not the least bit interested in potential buyers who can’t wear sub-40mm without it looking ridiculous on their bigger wrists.
    Apologies - I was referring to the older SBDW005 (which I think is grade 5, but I'm going from memory). Knowing Ming, I'd be surprised if he did choose the material based on cost over aesthetics.

As for size - I did feedback to the Ming team that the watch would have been better at 39mm, any bigger would have been clumsy for the size. The response for 38mm was - aesthetically better as the 17 series was there for more classic styled watches and more appealing to a broader audience, including women. This works well as a unisex watch. Finally (IMO) there does seem to be an industry trend to more 'classic' sized watches recently.

The 1901 is a mm bigger and with no bezel is a fantastic size (heck the whole watch is a different level). I reckon the 18 series will be reserved for bigger watches - and my guess would be the most likely next release. As with a new brand it'll take some time to flesh out the range, but we're getting there.

Just bumping this up - if anyone is interested there is a blue version of the 17.03 - limited. Hodinkee have do e a feature here - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mi...ue-introducing

Slightly different dial too with the numbering. Unfortunately the ultra version though looking very cool is sold out.

I'm still waiting in anticipation for my 19.01....probably a month or so to go!

I did see those and almost went for one, before realising that the lack of minute markers and seconds hand would likely drive me mad trying to set it properly. The 19.01 on the other hand, wow, would love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I did see those and almost went for one, before realising that the lack of minute markers and seconds hand would likely drive me mad trying to set it properly. The 19.01 on the other hand, wow, would love to see that.
    I'm still not sure about the 17.03 - something is missing for me. Much prefer the 17.01 I have, despite that lacking the second hand it works more harmonious IMO. Whenever I do get my 19.01 I'll shoot you a PM and you can have a looky :)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'm still not sure about the 17.03 - something is missing for me. Much prefer the 17.01 I have, despite that lacking the second hand it works more harmonious IMO. Whenever I do get my 19.01 I'll shoot you a PM and you can have a looky :)
    Fantastic, thanks!

The 19.01 still wins over those anniversary editions for me. Absolutely lovely looking thing.