closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hi and first question

Craftsman

Hi and first question

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and joined as I'm gradually getting more and more drawn into horology. I currently have couple of half decent watches but wanted to treat myself to something nice, so started doing some research and hunting out that "special" watch. I'm not normally a big fan of Rolex as I just think most of them are a bit too flashy for me, however, the latest Daytona Ceramic has changed my view and I now lust after one.

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to buy one new but in peoples experience, do they really sell for so much over RRP? Most are advertised at circa £14k, which is a £5k hike on its original price!!!! Is that really the case and is it sustainable?
    Cheers
    Mike

Journeyman
    i think the price will come down "sooner or later"... but if you'd rather have it sooner, that's the cost of entry... (barring luck when you find a fresh delivery say at the airport AD).

IIRC... the last 2 daytonas had similar demand when they were introduced. i got my 16520 and 116520 near the mid and tail end of their respective production period... got 2 of them new from a grey dealer (and 1 used) but did not have to pay a penny over list.

Quote Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
    Is that really the case and is it sustainable?
    I'd say it's sustainable, demand is still greater than supply. It can't be too long before Rolex and their dealers decide that they'd rather have an extra 5 grand profit rather than grey market sellers have it and raise the RRP to a close the gap.

Master
    Logically the price will/would eventually come down as there are more in circulation and eventually you may be able to get one from an AD (I'd imagine that's a few years away unless you have an established relationship). However it's worth noting that last year the RRP was just over 8k, with the last price rise it's now just over 9k and who knows if there's another rise it could hit around the 10k figure. Prices last year were as high as 16k and WF are still pricing them about that, so it's possible with the RRP increases that these figures could remain high for some considerable time.

The question that's regularly asked is 'who on earth would pay so much over retail for a watch?'. Some people find that concept totally ridiculous and chances are they won't see one for years, others however do it, will wear it for a number of years and then still get their money back. They've also had the enjoyment of actually owning, wearing and more to the point enjoying it. So you need to decide how much you want one and which category you fall in. There isn't a right or wrong answer, it's what suits you.

Master
    Firstly welcome to the forum.

The first thing to consider before even buying this watch is have you tried one on.

It wears small so depending on the size of your wrists and the watches you currently wear it may not be the right choice.

Price wise i never pay above RRP for a watch and i am lucky this watch is not even on my radar.Yes it's nice, great history and the rest but not for me.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, really helpful stuff and Devonian, I think you hit the nail on the head with your viewpoint.

Need to do some serious thinking
    Cheers
    Mike

Craftsman
    Two letters QE and two words interest rates. Until both exist the only way is up for Veblen goods like Rolex.

Edited to correct below.
    Last edited by Sparjar; 8th August 2017 at 18:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Two letters QE and two words interest rates. Until both exist the only way is up for Giffen goods like Rolex.
    I had to look that one up - it sounds like 'Giffen goods' could be even more controversial than the dreaded Veblen goods description:

"A Veblen good is generally a high-quality, coveted product, in contrast to a Giffen good which is an inferior product that does not have easily available substitutes."

"A Giffen good is a special type of inferior good whose demand increases as the price of the good increases."

"An inferior good is a type of good that declines in demand when income rises. These could be items such as generic foods, off-brand electronics, and discount store clothing. In contrast to inferior goods are normal goods. A normal good acts just the opposite of an inferior good; demand increases when income increases."

Somehow I doubt ceramic Daytona owners will appreciate the 'inferior off brand goods' description, it adds a whole new layer to the usual Veblen status symbol accusation!

In terms of the OP's question, I'd find it hard to buy something so far above list, while they are still making more of them. It doesn't sound like winning proposition. However if you want one, that's what the market says they cost - currently at least. I'll be sticking to vintage watches that are only getting rarer, or at least discounted watches. Funnily enough, now the new ones are out, some of the old ones are starting to look more interesting and 'classic' to me.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 8th August 2017 at 17:59.

Craftsman
    "Veblen goods" is what I meant obviously, a subconscious slip if you will. Although I have a feeling that some might like the "Giffen goods" angle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    "Veblen goods" is what I meant obviously, a subconscious slip if you will. Although I have a feeling that some might like the "Giffen goods" angle.
    A fabulous insult to be sure. 'There he goes with his Veblen watch' - 'More of a Giffen watch, surely?'
    Last edited by Itsguy; 8th August 2017 at 20:49.

Well those last few posts have certainly raised the tone. I am much enlightened. :-)

I'm in a similar position to the OP - but I was aware of the Daytona before, but had them pinned as bling watches for footballers. The ceramic/white dial, however, has made me change my mind. But I have big wrists, so I'll have to try one before I go down the man maths route above.

Craftsman
    Exactly, for me the pre ceramic is too blingy and I really wasn't attracted to it at all. Just my opinion of course. The ceramic however seems more classy...

Until they come down in price, which they certainly will when interest rates rise as mentioned, I just can't see myself buying at such a premium. There are other watches to be had!

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 22nd May 2019 at 10:01.