closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Depreciation proof women's Rolex

Journeyman

Depreciation proof women's Rolex

So I have done lots of research on getting myself a Rolex, one which will hold it's value and that I like:
    SS Daytona / Non date Sub / Hulk

But in order to pass the wifey test, I will have to buy her one too......obviously I have to buy her one that she likes the looks of, but would appreciate some guidance on which particular ones would be good to research on.......

I get the impression the less bling the more it'll be hold it's value, but she likes quite blingy watches.....

Women's watches go down like a tramp on chips.

Buy used.

Craftsman
    Buy 2 of them and you can both wear either.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Buy the one she likes - is it for her to wear or an investment?

Dependent on her likes, I would seriously consider one of the newer 36mm designs, in either the DJ if a date is required, or the Oyster Perpetual if non-date. They are both just about considered unisex sizes, so have more of a used market then just a ladies watch, and most ladies will only consider new - strange but true.

The DJ is the pick for me. & bought well it should't tank in value as much as the pure ladies watches. If you are going for a smaller size, then make sure you get one of the newer designs and sizes, as it will retain more of its value. i.e. the 28mm instead of the 26mm, or the 31mm sizes. i would still plump for a 36mm DJ though, as it looks suitably smart and can be used for all occasions - on a women it would have to be the jubilee bracelet as a first choice though, in fact I'd wear it like that to these days even though all my DJ's are on Oyster bracelets.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    As others have suggested, see how she feels about a 36mm DJ.
    This is mine:

Having said that in my experience women are far less likely to flip watches so if you just get one that she likes the resale value may be almost irrelevant.

Master
    Or maybe get an older small blokes one like this, 34mm OP Date:

Mrs Goat has one of these^^^^
    Albeit with baton date markers
    Looks lovely on her!

Edit- that's the pink dialled one 2 posts above

Master
    As others have suggested, get her to choose, if only to protect yourself in future ;) I showed my wife watches from Rolex and Watchfinder websites (she was fine with a used watch but we ended up buying new). I gave her a budget but she chose one about 30% above that. I didn't try to bring her down because to be fair, if one is spending that sort of money the owner must really like it without compromising too much, as long as it is affordable of course. We then went to an AD so that she could try it on and see if it really was for her. She loved it but I didn't buy there and then.

To help a bit with depreciation, you can either try to haggle the price down or buy somewhere else where you can get it cheaper because most women's models are readily available. In our case, to surprise her and to get a good price, I bought the watch on my way back from a trip at Amsterdam airport ... didn't bring it down to my initial budget but helped quite a bit due to the already reduced price at Schiphol plus the discount I negotiated on top.

It is a 31mm Lady Datejust steel and rose gold:

The point about getting her to decide is really important. Even though she chose it herself, my wife sometimes tells me she wished it was the purple dial one. I keep reminding her that although purple looked lovely, we had agreed on the chocolate dial because we thought it worked really well with rose gold. When the subject comes up (every now and then) I just can't help but think it would have been a lot worse had I chosen it without her input!
    Last edited by FK77; 7th August 2017 at 14:23.

Craftsman
    If she can wear 36 mm than I'd say you're safe. Anything smaller than that, in particular when combined with precious metals or diamond dials, will for sure depreciate faster and more ....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    for her to wear, but would be nice if it didn't plummet like a stone upon purchase....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    for her to wear, but would be nice if it didn't plummet like a stone upon purchase....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    As others have suggested, get her to choose, if only to protect yourself in future ;) I showed my wife watches from Rolex and Watchfinder websites (she was fine with a used watch but we ended up buying new). I gave her a budget but she chose one about 30% above that. I didn't try to bring her down because to be fair, if one is spending that sort of money the owner must really like it without compromising too much, as long as it is affordable of course. We then went to an AD so that she could try it on and see if it really was for her. She loved it but I didn't buy there and then.

To help a bit with depreciation, you can either try to haggle the price down or buy somewhere else where you can get it cheaper because most women's models are readily available. In our case, to surprise her and to get a good price, I bought the watch on my way back from a trip at Amsterdam airport ... didn't bring it down to my initial budget but helped quite a bit due to the already reduced price at Schiphol plus the discount I negotiated on top.

The point about getting her to decide is really important. Even though she chose it herself, my wife sometimes tells me she wished it was the purple dial one. I keep reminding her that although purple looked lovely, we had agreed on the chocolate dial because we thought it worked really well with rose gold. When the subject comes up (every now and then) I just can't help but think it would have been a lot worse had I chosen it without her input!
    that sounds like excellent advice. In fact I will follow your approach!

I have to sound her out for an used watch, but like another poster said - "they prefer new" I know my wife would prefer a new one!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Dependent on her likes, I would seriously consider one of the newer 36mm designs, in either the DJ if a date is required, or the Oyster Perpetual if non-date. They are both just about considered unisex sizes, so have more of a used market then just a ladies watch, and most ladies will only consider new - strange but true.

The DJ is the pick for me. & bought well it should't tank in value as much as the pure ladies watches. If you are going for a smaller size, then make sure you get one of the newer designs and sizes, as it will retain more of its value. i.e. the 28mm instead of the 26mm, or the 31mm sizes. i would still plump for a 36mm DJ though, as it looks suitably smart and can be used for all occasions - on a women it would have to be the jubilee bracelet as a first choice though, in fact I'd wear it like that to these days even though all my DJ's are on Oyster bracelets.
    thank you for that.......really useful....

Master
    I would also agree with used ... definitely try if she is open to the idea. Have someone else take the initial hit

Yachtmaster ladies
    Can't go wrong used

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post

That isgorgdous!

Could I ask the price please?

Master
    UK retail is £10,500 but given easy availability, it may be possible to get a decent discount if you persist. I was told "no discount" by the 2 ADs I tried but I didn't push at all and ended up buying in Amsterdam like I said above. I think it worked out ~17-18% cheaper than UK list price despite the post-Brexit weak Sterling.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...8341-0010.html

Blog Entries
    My other half has a Datejust which we bought when I went to buy mine, wish they weren't so similar sometimes but doesn't really matter.

Unless its as an investment just buy what she likes. She might wear it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Or maybe get an older small blokes one like this, 34mm OP Date:

Blooming lovely! That's just what the wife's looking for. She just doesn't know it yet...

Apprentice
    The Daytona seems an increasingly popular choice and, if you can get hold of one, is not a bad option to consider! Personally, I think they look great one everyone!

Master
    Depreciation should not be an issue for women as they are not like us and sell. Just buy new from airport the one she wants and she will keep forever

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm not sure women like Rolex much. Either worn on men or women.

Vintage DJ or Daytona. Or whatever she wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I'm not sure women like Rolex much. Either worn on men or women.

Vintage DJ or Daytona. Or whatever she wants.

Some do, some don't. Same as male watch buyers, some like the brand and some hate it, while others just prefer something else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Some do, some don't. Same as male watch buyers, some like the brand and some hate it, while others just prefer something else.
    True, it is a generalisation and I'm about to generalise again.

I think (some/most?) women don't really understand Rolex make excellent watches but instead think of them as a way to display wealth.

I think (some/most?) women don't really understand Rolex make excellent watches but instead think of them as a way to display wealth.
    PM Daytonas, sure. The rest, probably not.

Journeyman

You're not far off there, but she does love the look of them as well......

in addition, we are not wealthy at all......

Blog Entries

fixed that for you. M

Quote Originally Posted by wantasub View Post
    I get the impression the less bling the more it'll be hold it's value, but she likes quite blingy watches.....
    Have you considered getting her one of the new two-tone Skydwellers?

Beautiful matching of the dial to the gold, and not much more than the straight up steel versions, only about 25% extra

Master
    My view is some use it as a show of perceived wealth and/or even perceived exclusivity, most like the look of them and very few actually appreciate the engineering and history. I think these groups overlap too. I don't believe this applies specifically to women though.

Master
    Women sometimes want different things from a watch, and why not.It is an item of jewellery after all. I wouldn't assume their choices are somehow 'worse'. After all, when you see the stuff so many men want, you have to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Beautiful matching of the dial to the gold, and not much more than the straight up steel versions, only about 25% extra
    Are you calling my missus fat?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

My friend in the US found one of these in stock, for sale last week. I was a little surprised! Looked lovely but sure is big at 42mm.

That jangly oversize look is very fashionable for women at the moment, no? 😆
    Last edited by Der Amf; 9th August 2017 at 17:11. Reason: Definitely needed a smiley at the end of that one

That jangly oversize look is very fashionable for women at the moment, no? 
    Oversized jewellery has always been a good look on women - don't forget that women, as a rule of thumb, wish to appear slim and nothing draws attention to, or creates the impression of, a daintier wrist more than a larger watch.

Journeyman

that looks lovely! But might be a bit big for her.

Craftsman
    My oh went for the 39 explorer,good decision I reckon and a great looking watch on female or male wrist.

Master
    It took me an age to get Mrs Smith to have a decent watch. After a good search I found her an absolutely mint full set 1991 79173 G&S with diamond dot dial. I don't expect it to lose a penny as I got it for a great price.