closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VERTEX Revue - Help Needed

Journeyman

VERTEX Revue - Help Needed

Hello.
    I have a VERTEX Revue as per the photos and need some help regarding winding and servicing please.

I have had the watch a while and never really looked at it but kept it in it's original box. Decided recently I would get it going again.

Firstly, it's manual wind but need to know how it winds? The crown only seems to pull out one click to adjust the time. When the crown is in, it's tight when turning anti clockwise. Basically does it wind with the crown fully in?

So....

I decided to book it in for a service, was quoted £120 for a service at a local jewellers. A week later was called to say rust was in the movement and it would now be £185. I said no as the watch is only worth that really.

I took the back off, see picture and cannot see any rust to speak of?

So secondly, thoughts on where to get it serviced? I am happy to send it off so does not have to be local. I am based in Essex so UK only for this.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yep it will wind with the crownfully in I.e you do not need to pull the crown out to wind.
    Personally I would say £180 for a service whilst not cheap is not overly expensive, who gave you the quote? Members here may have experience of the watch maker and may be able to give feed back.
    I have not idea about the 'rust' but on a old movement it is not uncommon to have a bit of corrosion if it has not been looked after.
    I would say the watch is worth saving so £180 to get a working watch would be a cost I would bare.

I'd add that the rust or corrosion can be all but invisible to the naked eye, especially without dismantling the movement, but still be enough seriously affect the watch if it is in the 'wrong' place.

Looks like a hallmark on the lug, is it a 9ct gold case?

Journeyman
    Yes correct, it's a 9ct gold case. Hallmarked on the leg and marked on the inside of case back.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yep it will wind with the crownfully in I.e you do not need to pull the crown out to wind.
    Personally I would say £180 for a service whilst not cheap is not overly expensive, who gave you the quote? Members here may have experience of the watch maker and may be able to give feed back.
    I have not idea about the 'rust' but on a old movement it is not uncommon to have a bit of corrosion if it has not been looked after.
    I would say the watch is worth saving so £180 to get a working watch would be a cost I would bare.
    I see, well it looks like it is fully wound then but simply not ticking. It will not turn any further anti clockwise so must be wound up.

The movement looks clean to me but as mentioned, hard to tell if internally it's git 'rust'.

I got the quote from Kraft's in Chelmsford, Essex. Was just more than I was expecting so held off but maybe it is worth saving.

I imagine it is a Dennison case hallmarked at Birmingham assay office, what year is it?

Journeyman
    I think it's about 1962. I have not fully checked the hallmarks or markings yet to date it accurately

Grand Master
    The fact that you're deciding whether to get it sorted based on your perception of the value isn`t a good sign; the watch clearly doesn`t mean a lot to you.

This watch could be tricky to sort out, sounds like corrosion in the keyless work and that could be a headache for whoever gets the job of fixing it.

Based on your comments that person won`t be me, if you're not committed to the watch why should a repairer spend hours and hours on it and go the extra mile for you? I`d be quoting significantly less than the figures you're mentioning, but you have to give the repairer the latitude to charge a bit more if it takes a long time, or parts have to be tracked down.

Sell it as a non runner and get a few quid in your pocket.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 4th August 2017 at 23:47.

I have the exact same watch circa 1964 grandads long service award case back engraved

Journeyman
    Thanks Paul. That's probably what the cause is then.

The watch does have sentimental value but I also do not want to throw money over something that I have kept for a while and not worn. My intention was to revive it and start wearing it but only held off as £180 seemed a lot of money so thought I would ask here for advice first.

If the general opinion is it seems to be good value then I would plumb ahead and get it done.

Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using TZ-UK mobile app

I think £185 is a little on the high side for a fairly basic 3-hander (although it could be fair). In any case I would only give it to somebody I had a firm recommendation for and I don't know whether that's the case with the high st watchmaker that you've mentioned. I think I'd be contacting one of the two Duncans (Genesis or The Watch Bloke) Rocco in Bristol (if he's not too busy and he always seems to be these days) or perhaps .Olli. (who has just done a lovely job on a pocket watch for me). I also use Rob Horan but he's in France and you don't want to go overseas.

Cousins do have some parts for your movement but, in the medium to long term, I'd also be looking to source a working donor watch from Ebay at the right price; Revue Thommen were fairly prolific and don't command any kind of a premium in the vintage market. With a bit of patience I'd say you'd get something around the £20 mark.

I think this is yours but pay attention to the jewel count.
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Revue_77_0

My grandfather was given a 9ct Gold Longines when he retired. It passed to me when he died as a specific bequest. I had it sent back to Switzerland for a full restoration, I even kept the rather nasty expanding bracelet he'd put on it after the leather original failed. Many years later I entrusted it to Brendan (Webwatchmaker)for a full overhaul and it came back as good as new. It's back on a decent leather strap now and I've even sourced a period correct box for it. I don't wear it and only wind it occasionally but that's not really the point is it.

£180 seems pretty reasonable to preserve a family heirloom.

P.S. I've just given mine a little wind, It's still running fine.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I think £185 is a little on the high side for a fairly basic 3-hander (although it could be fair). In any case I would only give it to somebody I had a firm recommendation for and I don't know whether that's the case with the high st watchmaker that you've mentioned. I think I'd be contacting one of the two Duncans (Genesis or The Watch Bloke) Rocco in Bristol (if he's not too busy and he always seems to be these days) or perhaps .Olli. (who has just done a lovely job on a pocket watch for me). I also use Rob Horan but he's in France and you don't want to go overseas.

Cousins do have some parts for your movement but, in the medium to long term, I'd also be looking to source a working donor watch from Ebay at the right price; Revue Thommen were fairly prolific and don't command any kind of a premium in the vintage market. With a bit of patience I'd say you'd get something around the £20 mark.

I think this is yours but pay attention to the jewel count.
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Revue_77_0
    Lovely, thanks very much for all that advice there. I think eBay is a good option in this case possible as the movement looks easy to swap out for someone who knows what they are doing.

I'll try and contact someone anyway from your suggestions I think RE a service also so gauge how busy and wait times.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    My grandfather was given a 9ct Gold Longines when he retired. It passed to me when he died as a specific bequest. I had it sent back to Switzerland for a full restoration, I even kept the rather nasty expanding bracelet he'd put on it after the leather original failed. Many years later I entrusted it to Brendan (Webwatchmaker)for a full overhaul and it came back as good as new. It's back on a decent leather strap now and I've even sourced a period correct box for it. I don't wear it and only wind it occasionally but that's not really the point is it.

£180 seems pretty reasonable to preserve a family heirloom.

P.S. I've just given mine a little wind, It's still running fine.
    Thanks for that also. I think I have been convinced to re-evaluate the watch and use someone with a recommendation to get it serviced from here but last keep my eye out on eBay to see a working one pops up for ease.

Quote Originally Posted by stiver3 View Post
    Lovely, thanks very much for all that advice there. I think eBay is a good option in this case possible as the movement looks easy to swap out for someone who knows what they are doing.
    You'll be exceptionally lucky to pick up a spare on Ebay that drops in without a service - that probably is the holy grail. Having your own source of spares may well get you out of gaol later on though.

Grand Master
    I sorted out a 50s ladies watch with significant corrosion issues in the keyless work. Most of the parts wrere servicable after a good clean and derust treatment. I wouldn'waste money on trying to source a donor movement, better to let a repairer do this as a last resort. Anything bought like this will invariably need attention too.

Apologies for my somewhat robust response, I'm a bit pissed off with 'problem watches' at the moment that end up needing a lot of sorting out. A break from watch work will do me good.....Just starting a 13 day holiday at the moment!

Every vintage watch has problems somewhere, even the ones that seem OK.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    Isn't that why we love them Paul? ;) Enjoy your holiday.

Journeyman
    I sorted out a 50s ladies watch with significant corrosion issues in the keyless work. Most of the parts wrere servicable after a good clean and derust treatment. I wouldn'waste money on trying to source a donor movement, better to let a repairer do this as a last resort. Anything bought like this will invariably need attention too.

Apologies for my somewhat robust response, I'm a bit pissed off with 'problem watches' at the moment that end up needing a lot of sorting out. A break from watch work will do me good.....Just starting a 13 day holiday at the moment!

Paul
    Thanks for your advice, no offence taken. Servicing these is not something I think I would be able to do.

I will simply get this serviced now and ditch the eBay idea of a doner movement. Thanks again. Enjoy your holiday!

Check out Simon Freese in Maldon;)

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    If it's of any help I have parts for Revue 77.

Brendan

Master
    Looks like the incabloc spring is not fitted in one side on the balance cock.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Looks like the incabloc spring is not fitted in one side on the balance cock.
    Well spotted

Paul

Master

Well spotted

Paul
    I serviced a ladies Tissot yesterday, very similar looking movement but a mini version. I love servicing these old Swiss hand winders, they always seem to run really well after.

Size of that mainspring, hehe! Certainly had to sharpen my screwdriver working on this!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    If it's of any help I have parts for Revue 77.

Brendan
    Yes might be helpful.
    I have no idea where the incabloc spring would even go so a good spot!

The watch is currently being assessed by a fellow forum member who offered to look and see what was wrong so we'll see what is needed....

Journeyman
    UPDATED: Watch Fully Serviced by TZ Forum Member.

I have resurrected the thread mainly as a thanks to a fellow forum member. After I asked for help and guidance via this thread I was sent a PM by 'animalone' (Ian) who kindly offered to look at the watch for me.

I subsequently sent if off and was fully kept up to date by Ian along the way. Turned out the rust was not as widespread as it could have been. Hands were rusted and also rust on the winding stem. I have no idea when the watch was last serviced but I can imaging everything inside needed a real good clean up.

Ian has done an amazing job taking apart and servicing the movement. The watch arrived back this morning. Case and crystal cleaned up and nicely ticking away. Something I have never heard it do.....!

Without the forum this would not have been possible. Ian was extremely generous taking this project on and for that I am thankful. I will definitely be using his service for my other watches when required.

I just need a new strap now as the one on there has seen better days and does not do it justice...

Pictures below...