closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMSD..Addressee not home.

Master

RMSD..Addressee not home.

I posted a watch last Thursday special delivery next day by 13:00, to a forum member.

Royal Mail attempted delivery next day, Friday at 11:53.

The addressee was not home so RM left a card and took the package back to the sorting office.

The RM delivery record on-line said.........
    'Delivery attempted Friday @ 11:53, nobody home, card left, blah-blah-blah....

The addressee actually collected the package from the SO on Saturday at 08:00.

As the package was not actually delivered 'next day by 13:00' I thought I try and claim the postage back.

This morning a RM cheque for the postage of £11.60 popped through my door.....bingo.

Don't ask....don't get
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; 3rd January 2019 at 20:35.

Well done!

Thief.

You did well there, but you shouldn't have claimed. RM tried delivery before 13:00. Not their fault if your buyer, who knew it was coming, chose to bugger off out.

They should have told you to do one

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    I posted a watch last Thursday special delivery next day by 13:00, to a forum member in Edinburgh.

Royal Mail attempted delivery next day, Friday at 11:53.

The addressee was not home so RM left a card and took the package back to the sorting office.

The RM delivery record on-line said.........
    'Delivery attempted Friday @ 11:53, nobody home, card left, blah-blah-blah....

The addressee actually collected the package from the SO on Saturday at 08:00.

As the package was not actually delivered 'next day by 13:00' I thought I try and claim the postage back.

This morning a RM cheque for the postage of £11.60 popped through my door.....bingo.

Don't ask....don't get
    Royal Mail should have declined your request as they were not the cause of the failed delivery attempt.
    They should have charged the person who collected it a fee for their additional time.
    This is bordering on fraud for me.

Craftsman
    Hardly fraud if the OP told the PO the facts. No false representation and no misleading info.

Money back from the PO, bonus. That will make up for all those admin charges on imported watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Hardly fraud if the OP told the PO the facts. No false representation and no misleading info.

Money back from the PO, bonus. That will make up for all those admin charges on imported watches.
    What about the costs to the PO to deliver all those smaller items from China - they get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for that? But hey - If you’ve found a reason to screw them, that makes you feel good...... crack on.

Craftsman
    Why would I want to screw the PO. Not what I said.

For a few years I had a postman who made every effort not to deliver to my work address - one time someone sitting a few metres from the front door heard the letterbox go, saw the red card come through and by the time he opened the door the postman was hobbling across the road to a van. No effort to knock on the door or ring the doorbell. I should have claimed whenever he failed to deliver to me.
    "A man of little significance"

Why would you even think of claiming?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I would not have even thought to?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I agree, i would never have thought to. I am always just happy the parcel gets to its destination.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post

The Royal Mail were in full possession of all the facts. I had to upload copies of the tracking receipt and even the watch receipt.
    They were well within their rights to tell me to get stuffed, as I fully expected.

The RM blurb says, and I quote.......

Royal Mail Special Delivery™ Guaranteed by 1pm

This is our guaranteed by 1pm delivery service........

As the item was not actually delivered to the addressee by 1PM, I thought I'd claim.

As I said....Don't ask, don't get

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm amazed that anybody would do this & even more amazed that they'd admit it, let alone brag about it, on a public forum

Craftsman
    Hmmm Remind Me not to sell You anything .

Grand Master
    +1, it's not as if Royal Mail failed to keep their end of the bargain!

Not something to be proud of in my opinion, OP needs to ask himself a few questions if he thinks this is commendable. Even if I'd done this I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it, I'm amazed Royal Mail have fallen for this, it's totally wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I'm amazed that anybody would do this & even more amazed that they'd admit it, let alone brag about it, on a public forum
    Flippin-eck.......

This was posted out of the goodness of my heart as a 'Heads-up' for TZ members. If there is a loophole in the Royal Mail system then it's up to them to spot it and close it.
    As previously said, the RM were in full possession of all the facts.
    All the information regarding package arrival steps and times, attempted delivery time and final collection time by the addressee, and his signature, came from the RM web site for heavens sake....just by typing in the 'tracking ref'

I'm being made to feel like a b****y criminal for playing the system and telling you lot about it.

Embarrassing.

What poor form to do this let alone brag about it.

Flippin-eck.......

I'm being made to feel like a b****y criminal for playing the system and telling you lot about it.
    It’s crooked.

I was always under the impression that, ‘.... guaranteed delivery by (a specific time)’, meant anytime up to that time on the day, but specifically no later.

It’s not guaranteed to be delivered at that exact time, or in multiple attempts up to it.

An earlier delivery is a bonus!

All IMHO, of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Dave think about what You did.You got exactly what You paid for then put in a claim for a refund.I fully get Your point that they need not of given the refund but on a forum that relies on gentlemanly conduct it doesn’t come across very well

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Seriously? You do know you posted this thread?

Flippin-eck.......

This was posted out of the goodness of my heart as a 'Heads-up' for TZ members. If there is a loophole in the Royal Mail system then it's up to them to spot it and close it.
    All the information regarding package arrival steps and times, attempted delivery time and final collection time by the addressee, and his signature, came from the RM web site for heavens sake....just by typing in the 'tracking ref'

At the risk of also being flamed I'm with you on this one, OP.

I didn't interpret your first post as a brag and I'd also be surprised if even you didn't think it was a little bit cheeky however you chanced it and RM sided with you. No-one was conned, diddled, swindled, hoodwinked or whatever; by their own terms they'd failed to fulfil their side of the contract. I actually find it quite amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    I was always under the impression that, ‘.... guaranteed delivery by (a specific time)’, meant anytime up to that time on the day, but specifically no later.

It’s not guaranteed to be delivered at that exact time, or in multiple attempts up to it.

An earlier delivery is a bonus!

All IMHO, of course...

Yes, of course they’re not going to deliver everyone’s parcel at exactly 1pm.

Master
    The next time you get a dent in a Waitrose car park, and no note is left, the Royal Mail karma manager (that’s a real person) will be having a good snigger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    ...by their own terms they'd failed to fulfil their side of the contract.
    Codswallop.

Their terms of service say they will attempt delivery before 1pm. Attempt is the important word in that sentence. How can they be liable if no one is there to accept delivery?

Flippin-eck.......

Years ago I had one of those "Sorry you were not home cards" Posted and went to the sorting office to collect my parcel. When I got there they said "Oh you are here to get your two parcels?" and handed over to me two parcels. Next day I get a "Sorry you were not home" card posted for the parcel I collected the previous day. Basically it seems the postie was running a little game where he couldnt be bothered carrying around parcels so just posted those cards instead but of course had to stagger it to make it look like they were genuine attempts to deliver the item.

Point I am making is there may very well be a chance that your postie is in trouble with his boss who may be less inclined to believe he actually tried to deliver the parcel and wasnt just playing a scam seeing as you are claiming on the postage where the reality is he did in fact make every effort to do so just the recipient was not at home.

Its not about getting one over a faceless business its just about doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Aye, staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Codswallop.

Their terms of service say they will attempt delivery before 1pm. Attempt is the important word in that sentence. How can they be liable if no one is there to accept delivery?
    I've just had a - admittedly quick - read through their Ts & Cs and can't see anything there about attempting before 1pm, only the words "guaranteed delivery" - happy to be proved wrong, though. IIRC your trade relies heavily on parcels being sent to your customers so you're probably more in the know than I am.

The Royal Mail still sided with the OP though, and that's with the RM having full knowledge of what happened.

Edit to add - https://www.royalmail.com/business/s...-2019--148.pdf

6.2 - "...we willdeliver all Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9am and Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm..."

6.10 - "If we do not deliver an Item, or make a first attempt at delivery, in line with paragraph 6.2,then unless paragraph 6.11 applies we will pay you the relevant Postage in respect of that Item."

So it would seem that an attempt at delivery is actually enough, if that's the case then why didn't RM refuse a refund?
    Last edited by CardShark; 3rd January 2019 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    So it would seem that an attempt at delivery is actually enough, if that's the case then why didn't RM refuse a refund?
    Because somebody in RM is stupid, probably skim read the application and never realised.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 3rd January 2019 at 22:19.

Master
    Ze list?

Master
    Karma has a way of sorting this type of thing out...

Well done. You must be so proud.

Grand Master
    Having proved his point and had some perverse satisfaction in doing so, the OP could always post the cheque back, or choose not to cash it?

How can Royal Mail be judged to have failed if there’s no one present to take delivery? The only basis on which you’re entitled to compensation is if no attempt was made to deliver before 1pm, I think you know that.

I don’t really believe in karma, but it’s surprising how things sometimes work out.....what goes around often comes around!

The RM blurb says, and I quote.......

Royal Mail Special Delivery™ Guaranteed by 1pm

This is our guaranteed by 1pm delivery service........

As the item was not actually delivered to the addressee by 1PM, I thought I'd claim.

As I said....Don't ask, don't get
    On that obtusely literal interpretation, then presumably if the house had gone-up in flames or been obliterated by a meteorite you'd also blame RM for failing to deliver by 1pm.

They did everything they reasonably could and you're taking the p*ss.

Shockingly mean spirited action on a forum that prides itself on good form.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Pathological tightness and dishonesty I'm going with

I'm not totally against Dave here, he spotted an opportunity, rolled the dice and got 11 quid back.

But 11 quid... that's just grubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I'm not totally against Dave here, he spotted an opportunity, rolled the dice and got 11 quid back.

But 11 quid... that's just grubby.

“Opportunistic” - a common adjective used to minimise the seriousness of THEFT.

Craftsman
    Dave In Wales made what 95% of people would consider a very poor judgement in asking for a refund that no reasonable person would even think of asking for.

But he is not exactly a baby killer so I think he has now received enough condemnation and may hopefully reflect on this incident when faced with dubious situations in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Dave In Wales made what 95% of people would consider a very poor judgement in asking for a refund that no reasonable person would even think of asking for.

But he is not exactly a baby killer so I think he has now received enough condemnation and may hopefully reflect on this incident when faced with dubious situations in the future.

“Your honour, my client saw an opportunity, and simply made a very poor error of judgement........... “

Ha-ha.........

Thanks for the heads up!

We all make mistakes, it's how we handle them matters.

Personally, I would donate the amount in question to the TZ-UK fundriser.

Just a thought.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Shockingly mean spirited action on a forum that prides itself on good form.
    And relies on RMSD to trade watches...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    This is all getting a bit too septic! IMHO Dave was tilting jocularly against the ‘system’. I was friends with Dave for a long time and I can assure everybody that the guy is exceptionally honest. One of the few people who I could sell a watch to on a ‘pay me when you are ready’ basis and I could also leave him alone in a room with my wallet on the table and not have a worry in the world. Enough now boys.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IMO Dave is a good guy on the forum, maybe a lapse of something on this occasion but no major damage done.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    This is all getting a bit too septic! IMHO Dave was tilting jocularly against the ‘system’. I was friends with Dave for a long time and I can assure everybody that the guy is exceptionally honest. One of the few people who I could sell a watch to on a ‘pay me when you are ready’ basis and I could also leave him alone in a room with my wallet on the table and not have a worry in the world. Enough now boys.
    Wallet shmallet. Would you trust him with your missus? ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Yes, he is an old fashioned gentleman, not a scrote!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Only before 1pm

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    This is all getting a bit too septic! IMHO Dave was tilting jocularly against the ‘system’.
    This is exactly how I read it, hence my previous comments.

If the OP had said that he'd gone into a PO all gammon-faced, fists banging at the kiosk spitting tacks at a clerk demanding his money back then sure, have a dig, however that's not what happened.