closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Micro fibre polishing clothes....good?

Master

Micro fibre polishing clothes....good?

My partner gets these from Lakeland for household cleaning. Do people on TZ use them on their watches? Are they at all abrasive? Especially with gold cases...
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd August 2017 at 18:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    My partner gets these from Lakeland for household cleaning. Do people on TZ use them on their watches? Are they at all abrasive? Especially with gold cases...
    I use them for watches, glasses, iPads, everything! Not abrasive as far as I'm aware, but extremely effective. I think it mentioned using them for jewellery on the packet.

Yeah can't see how something this soft can be abbrasive, especially when watches are built to run along sleeves that'll be rougher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The old test for microfibre cloths when polishing cars was to rub it round a CD, if it made any fine scratches in it is was not OK to use on your car

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Depends on the cloth. There are all sorts of different grades and some are very scratchy, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of standard rating system. Also beware of pieces of grit getting in the cloth. Some of the microfibres can be pretty bad for trapping particles and then scratching things.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, too likely to attract particles in their largish weave. Cars....ok. Watches....no.

Master
    The reason I asked was that I noticed tiny little scratches on the back of a gold watch . And only a micro cloth had been used to clean it.

They're fine to use, not the larger weave but the very small (as per spectacles). But never clean dry (breath or a fine mist of water), and clean the clothes often (without fabric softener).

Master
    The ones from Tesco seem fine, maybe there are other kinds, but they are extremely soft. If you are worried about scratching your watch with the Tesco ones, you should probably also remove your Submariner when it's raining.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The ones from Tesco seem fine, maybe there are other kinds, but they are extremely soft. If you were worried about scratching your watch with the Tesco ones, you should probably also remove your Submariner when it's raining.
    If you spell cloths with an e, you should have it taken off you whatever the weather.

Grand Master
    Best thing to use on gold is a Selvit cloth (available from Cousins). These can be washed and re-used. A rouge cloth is also useful for getting very fine scratches out and removing traces of tarnish.

I find cheap microfiber cloths to be OK provided they're clean. Dirt and grit can get in so it's best to swap them frequently. Always keep a cloth in a polythene bad rather than leave it kicking around.

Paul

Craftsman
    Selvyts newer microfibre cloths really outperform the original.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt666 View Post
    The old test for microfibre cloths when polishing cars was to rub it round a CD, if it made any fine scratches in it is was not OK to use on your car
    That's actually a great idea.

Are Selvyts demonstrably better than, say, the Tesco ones?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s View Post
    That's actually a great idea.

Are Selvyts demonstrably better than, say, the Tesco ones?
    Yes the Selvyt microfibre is a very fine cloth and not like the normal ones.