closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus first impressions

Master

Nautilus first impressions

There are a couple of interesting comparison threads today, which has encouraged me to have a go. My perspective is that of a novice Patek buyer with no axe to grind and little knowledge. It is also my personal, possibly idiosyncratic view, and no more.
    I only got the 5711, white face, two days ago.
    My immediate impression was of an elegant, subtle, watch. The very opposite of bling or ostentation. That dial is so sparse, so minimalist.
    The white colour isn't white; it changes with the light, white, silver, grey and white striped. But always the simple, pure, elegance remains. It must be one of the most readable dials money can buy. But we will come to 'money' a bit later. The elephant in the room.
    The 5711 is an odd watch in the Patek line up. The company is famous for complications with busy dials. In fact, for me, they sometimes seem a company that can't look at a dial without wanting to add a visual complication.
    But the 5711 is the exact opposite...sheer three handed minimalism of the 'less is more' modernist movement. In that sense it is a rather 'unPatek' design, even if one of their most famous. To wear, it feels delicate but quite strong. Rather like a female gymnast. Very light, slim, unobtrusive. And always a treat to look at.
    The bracelet is tapered, lightweight and well integrated into the design.
    Now, money. It costs just over £18000 and has very long waiting lists. So hard to buy new. But it holds its value very well . Examples a few years old seem to sell above retail. The blue dial fetches a bit more, but I prefer the white.
    What you seem to get is a 'free' watch, which can be worn for years without losing money, at least on present trends , although that can always change.
    I want to briefly compare the 5711 with another famous 'luxury sports' model. Not the Royal Oak but the gold version of the Daytona. I rarely get good pictures, but anyway:. This is white gold, blue dial. Retail £27,400. With co operative AD, maybe £23000. On resale privately, say £18000. So, unlike the 5711, pretty normal depreciation. On the other hand, you can actually buy one.
    How does it compare?
    More robust feeling, very strong, feels heavy and reassuring. So, standard Rolex qualities really. In lovely, warm ,white gold. The dial is lovely, deep metallic blue; but it is far less readable than the 5711. Overall, perhaps more 'impressive' but with less sheer class. They do make a very nice couple, both fun to wear and own.
    Finally, when I asked my partner which she liked best , she replied: 'The Cellini'.
    But that's another story.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I actually like it a LOT. Enjoy your new toy.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

£18k for the Daytona second hand ? Where ? :D

Master
    Well I'm biased but I think it's stunning. Understated but stunning none the less. I think the white dial is exceptional and white dials have always been my favourite. That said I deliberately went for a blue dial because of my 116500, I wanted different. To me I have the perfect pair:

Master
    I think it's a superb looking watch, just be careful you don't get arrested waving your willy around in the suoermarket 😉

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Well I'm biased but I think it's stunning. Understated but stunning none the less. I think the white dial is exceptional and white dials have always been my favourite. That said I deliberately went for a blue dial because of my 116500, I wanted different. To me I have the perfect pair:

Thats a great pic - is it fair to say the size diff is represented good here in that picture or is the Nautilus raised the way its sitting on the bracelet making it appear larger then it seems? I ask as a Daytona owner who has bind ordered a Nautilus (only seen one on display so hard to judge sizing)

Fantastic combo regardless

The OP says the Nautilus is not "bling" but the bracelet is quite flash to me? What do others think

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    £18k for the Daytona second hand ? Where ? :D
    You'd be lucky to get that from a dealer. But the real point is, it depreciates sharply. But then stabilises.

Great review and comments, thanks. I also prefer the white dial and very nearly bought one a while back as the London boutique seemed to have one for nearly a year from what I recall but ended up buying a 116622 as my preferred watch, ever.

I hope you continue with these posts and provide updates on ownership. One negative comment I've often read is about noisy bearings. Have you noticed it at all?

Thanks

Thanks for the impressions and am glad for you.
    White is more attractive than blue,IMO
    Your wrist shots are better but both you and Devonian take the most unflattering shots of this watch:-)
    Too small and light for me but is far more pleasing in person than these pics:-)

From a fellow new PP owner I can echo an lot of your thoughts I had written off the 5711 as I'm not a fan of blue dials and the 5712 had always been my grail Nautilus to have but your pics and words have warmed me to the white dial which by mistake I've totally overlooked!

I've always thought a PP had to have a complication hence the attraction to the 5712 and recently the 5164 but the dials are so nice why hide them, I haven't seen yours in person but it has that black white contrast I loved about the ExpII ok I'm not comparing your PP to a Rolex but it's the great contrast that to me makes it one of the most readable watches out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Thats a great pic - is it fair to say the size diff is represented good here in that picture or is the Nautilus raised the way its sitting on the bracelet making it appear larger then it seems? I ask as a Daytona owner who has bind ordered a Nautilus (only seen one on display so hard to judge sizing)
    Yes mate the Nautilus is raised due to the way the bracelet rests. It's funny because it's a smaller watch (thinner, lighter) yet appears bigger (when looking head on).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Your wrist shots are better but both you and Devonian take the most unflattering shots of this watch:-)
    Too small and light for me but is far more pleasing in person than these pics:-)
    Yes, agreed. I will try harder but think getting really good pics is quite a skill. Which I lack. There are professional photographers for a reason.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes mate the Nautilus is raised due to the way the bracelet rests. It's funny because it's a smaller watch (thinner, lighter) yet appears bigger (when looking head on).
    Cool. Yeah the thinner / lighter appeals to me however if it looks bigger head on thats a bonus too as I always felt the Daytona a fraction too small in that regards

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Yes, agreed. I will try harder but think getting really good pics is quite a skill. Which I lack. There are professional photographers for a reason.
    Practice and judicious use of photoshopping is the answer I believe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Cool. Yeah the thinner / lighter appeals to me however if it looks bigger head on thats a bonus too as I always felt the Daytona a fraction too small in that regards
    Can be amazing how 1mm looks to the eye

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    Can be amazing how 1mm looks to the eye

Well my 38.5mm Aqua Terra felt small compared to my 39mm Explorer believe it or not

Guess also a busy dial (e. Daytona) vs a clean dial (5711) might make a diff too

Master
    A comparison of size, the Cellini is 39mm.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Great watch. I think Tony did the best pic of this piece.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I think it's a superb looking watch, just be careful you don't get arrested waving your willy around in the suoermarket 
    I can no longer afford to go to the supermarket.

Master
    I can no longer afford to go to the supermarket.
    Lucky escape then 👍

A good write up. A great watch in my view - the overall dimensions of case and integrated bracelet appeal to me regardless of the name on the dial.

The point that it holds its value and is unlikely to be recognised by most is a bonus. I would still buy one at RRP, even if I new it would depreciate by 20% the moment I left the AD - as I suspect would both yourself and Devonian, the forums other new owner of a 5711.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Great watch. I think Tony did the best pic of this piece.
    Cheers Simon. There's a write up and some photos here for anyone interested.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Nice write up and pictures.
    Cheers.

Master
    Great write up and greater photos as always. Can you pop round and do mine please 😜

Banned
    Blog Entries
    👍

Master
    My absolute fave watch, the white dial 5711. Great choice!

Superb, Tony.

Journeyman
    Cool thread, white dial has an immensely clean look but I always end up preferring darker dials when I actually try them on. Was in love with white dialled Royal Oak but then actually preferred the blue dial when I tried it on. Same with 16570 polar vs black dial.

I didn't realise how slim this was - all the wrist shots I've seen suggested something a bit chunkier. How robust is it likely to be? You're obviously not going to wear it while gardening or changing a wheel on the car, but can it take the little everyday knocks without ruining the bezel or whatever?

I'd be terrified wearing £18k on my wrist, but then I have a 10 and 6 year old who seem to actively seek out watch damage

Master
    To be honest, I don't know how robust it will be. It's no Rolex, and wasn't intended to be. Perhaps some experienced Nautilus owners can help?
    As for wearing it, given the cost, I just tell myself that it's a luxury toy, and life without it would go on just the same. I mean , experience some bad health and see how much you care about any watch.
    No point in worrying.
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st July 2017 at 12:39.

I have worn my 5711 more than I thought I would, and it only has one very light hairline on the bezel to date, after more than a year. I also have a white gold Daytona, so it's interesting to see your comparison. They both feel special to wear. The 5711 feel light, but it isn't made out of paper, and I feel it will hold up as well as most other watches to day to day wear if that's what an owner wanted. I am pleased I had a first service thrown in with my purchase, as that keeps the costs down for me for hopefully the first 8 years of ownership (maybe more if I am lucky). I would say I have been more careful with the 5711, when i have been mindful I'm wearing it - but during the day it is very easy to forget you have a watch on your wrist - unlike the Ploprof I'm wearing today!

Yes, it's just a watch - but I do like them, a lot. I have been trying to work out if at some point I could possibly justify having both a white and blue dial version, but I am struggling with that - it's lot of money for just a different dial, and it's likely that i'll probably jut stop when I add an Aquanaut
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    To be honest, I don't know how robust it will be. It's no Rolex, and wasn't intended to be. Perhaps some experienced Nautilus owners can help?
    As for wearing it, given the cost, I just tell myself that it's a luxury toy, and life without it would go on just the same. I mean , experience some bad health and see how much you care about any watch.
    No point in worrying.
    Very true words. Time to dig out the 5146J - it's been userped by more robust dive models of late.

Thanks for the review. I like the comparison to the female gymnast.

Martyn

Banned
    The Nautilus is far from a delicate watch and can be worn as any other. Who buys a car and leaves it in the garage, polishing it every now and again? Fair enough, don't take it in a track day and thrash it, but go on a run to down and yes you may kerb a wheel, but all can be repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    They both feel special to wear.
    Nice sentiment. That's what this hobby all about!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    The Nautilus is far from a delicate watch and can be worn as any other. Who buys a car and leaves it in the garage, polishing it every now and again? Fair enough, don't take it in a track day and thrash it, but go on a run to down and yes you may kerb a wheel, but all can be repaired.
    The most sensible thing you have said. A philosophy which is difficult to practice in reality, but undoubtedly the right approach to watch ownership.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think ive seen a battered to hell one somewhere with the owner claiming it is no way as delicate as it looks

Journeyman
    I admire both of these watches, but the Daytona appeals slightly more as I like the technical complex look(hard to read), the minimalist PP is pretty and the price ensures exclusivity. Both look stunning.

Great review and massive congrats on the Patek....

I tried on a colleagues 5711 and loved the sheer class of it but after wearing a BLRO daily for the last few months it simply felt too 'delicate'.

I'm not suggesting it can't be worn daily, I just missed the 'heft' of my own watch.

Beautiful watch though and still on my list if I ever get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Great review and massive congrats on the Patek....

I tried on a colleagues 5711 and loved the sheer class of it but after wearing a BLRO daily for the last few months it simply felt too 'delicate'.

I'm not suggesting it can't be worn daily, I just missed the 'heft' of my own watch.

Beautiful watch though and still on my list if I ever get the chance.
    As long as the watch you wear feels right, then I think you've got it cracked. My 5711 feels right, and the Ploprof 1200m Inwas wearing today felt right too. It's almost a shame that a F91W doesn't feel any better or worse than my other watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Motivated partly by this thread and being at Parkhouse in Southampton yesterday,I ventured in to,( I thought) try one of the Nautilus dummy watches I had heard about
    They had none of those,but the PP sales guy let me try the blue version and they had a new white dialled one intact in the packing.
    Whilst I admire the workmanship,history and overall quality I was a bit underwhelmed I'm sorry to say..can't really put my finger on why, just seemed a bit slim and looked like it could be a bit of a scratch magnet
    I much preferred the white dial,incidentally
    Back in 2004 I failed completely to "get" Panerai and I've ended up with plenty of those over the years,so my final thought or rather question- when am I going to change my mind?
    🐐

Master
    I understand those who find the 5711 a little 'slight'; it is a light, slim watch with an equally slim bracelet. It has none of the Rolex heft and easily seen robustness. So some people will never want one. But the lack of bulk, the elegant workmanship, is central to the design. Compare a Range Rover with a Ferrari.
    For me, the two cars are like the difference between the (say) Daytona and the 5711. If you can manage it, somehow, and eventually, have both. The depreciation of the two steel classics is so low that the cost of ownership might be minimal. If you can find the cash initially.
    Incidentally, Patek watches routinely survive for many decades, just like Rolex. Although service costs will be higher.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st August 2017 at 13:16.

Craftsman
    If you can find the cash initially.
    Incidentally, Patek watches routinely survive for many decades, just like Rolex. Although service costs will be higher.
    http://www.hyjewellery.co.uk/watch-b...11-1a-010.html

Lol £30k for a 5711a

Simply lovely, i agree on the blue dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%2...096/item/93779

And these boys ^^^

I would say 'I just can't see how anyone would pay so much over the odds' . . . . But . . . . That chat has been done on the Daytona, deep sea blue, sd43 etc etc. City boys and Their bonuses I Guess.

I was fortunate to be able to pick up a lovely 5726A annual calendar from SC earlier this year.

I did intend for it to be a 'best' watch, for special occasions, but I wear it most days because I still get a real sense of pleasure every time I put it on.

Something that is worked for and chosen with care should be enjoyed, not tucked away.

You will likely break even, even allowing for a PP service, over say five years - enjoy your purchase !

Apprentice
    Nice watch!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the white face Patek, if my budget ever stretches that far it'd be white for sure.

A £12 light box from Amazon Essentials will do wonders for photographs of watches.

Craftsman
    http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%2...096/item/93779

And these boys ^^^

I would say 'I just can't see how anyone would pay so much over the odds' . . . . But . . . . That chat has been done on the Daytona, deep sea blue, sd43 etc etc. City boys and Their bonuses I Guess.
    Totally insane and not worth it at all

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    Totally insane and not worth it at all
    What is worth it to you? All talk and you haven't bought pp. do you not bore yourself sometimes? Just asking.

And why do you only comment on pp threads?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    What is worth it to you? All talk and you haven't bought pp. do you not bore yourself sometimes? Just asking.
    If he was a real buyer he could have bought one and sold for those so called insane prices that aren't worth it and made a nice profit. Problem is fantasy buyers don't actually ever buy.