closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nautilus first impressions

Looks great. I got to try one on once but I'll never be able to afford one! I think the white looks best but then I'm biased as 3 out of my 4 watches are white faced

Journeyman
    Are these actually daily watches though? Robust enough?

I have targeted the submariner because of the fact that people wear it every day, can a PP white face do that? Suppose the question should be more, would you want to with the value of the watch.

Master
    Why can't you wear the Nautilus every day ? It has a tough, well designed movement, a waterproof case and extremely high build quality. Patek tend to endure over many decades.
    The comparison with a Sub is about as useful as suggesting a 911 is not as tough as a Range Rover. Wear a Sub....first class watch...then wear a Nautilus. Then decide. I wear a 5711 and a Daytona, both seem fully up to the job ....which is no more than sitting on someone's wrist.
    As for the cost...Would you drive an expensive car ? Wear high quality clothes? Go on an expensive holiday?
    All personal choices.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th August 2017 at 21:11.

Master
    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    IMO the Sub 'suits' the odd character-building gouge, scratch, ding, scuff, graze, bump and general cosmetic 'injury' of all-purpose day wear far more than the Nautilus, which that stuff just makes look damaged.

Craftsman
    Nautilus = scratch magnet

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably depends on what you do all day.
    A nautilus on one person's wrist for a decade could be in better condition than a sub that's been worn for a year by somebody else.

Master
    Going back to the op, I read on another forum and I quote 'it looks like an old TV set' to which I admit finding hilarious as did my partner when I told her 😜

Well I've had my old TV set for around 3 weeks now and the more I look at it the more striking it is. Understated maybe, pure class without a doubt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    A nautilus on one person's wrist for a decade could be in better condition than a sub that's been worn for a year by somebody else.
    Napoleon could have worn his for a lifetime without a mark....

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/w...ocket-pose.jpg

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    Napoleon could have worn his for a lifetime without a mark....

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/w...ocket-pose.jpg
    Splendid!
    Suspect all nautilus / aquanaut / Royal oak wearers adopt that pose during waking hours.

Craftsman
    Splendid!
    Suspect all nautilus / aquanaut / Royal oak wearers adopt that pose during waking hours.
    Oh could be worse....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8XSKSInVw5...n-trousers.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    Nautilus = scratch magnet
    Based on your extensive ownership experience...

I've been wearing mine regularly for months and there's not a mark on it*. I do wonder how people here knock the f*ck out of their watches the way they do.

*I fear that I may have jinxed myself now.

Both the 5711 and the AP 15202 are wonderful to wear. They are much thinner than you'd expect and the bracelets are thinner than those found on, say, a Rolex or Seamaster.

To me, they are the most comfortable 'just right' watch I've worn. The simplicity and, therefore, readability are real plus points. What's not to like?

Sure, there are watches with complications (when is the last time you used your chrono to time something?) - but that is the point of having more than one watch.

Certainly something worth aiming for if you appreciate the historical/design significance of these two Genta designs.

Master
    That seems a fair appraisal, to me, with my limited experience. I wonder if people confuse an elegant, slim, construction with fragility?
    I'd never worn a 5711 until I got one. It does give you a bit of a surprise after something chunky, such as a Rolex. But you adjust, and then it's the chunky watch that can seem odd. I tend to enjoy heavy watches, but I really like wearing the 5711; horses for courses?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I do wonder how people here knock the f*ck out of their watches the way they do.

This looks like fun! Try it with a Nautilus? :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes. I see you've summed up tz's main demographic rather well there Sean ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That seems a fair appraisal, to me, with my limited experience. I wonder if people confuse an elegant, slim, construction with fragility?
    I'd never worn a 5711 until I got one. It does give you a bit of a surprise after something chunky, such as a Rolex. But you adjust, and then it's the chunky watch that can seem odd. I tend to enjoy heavy watches, but I really like wearing the 5711; horses for courses?
    It's not fragile from a mechanical POV, the 324 is tried and tested, but the bezel does mark up very easily and doesn't look too pretty, and you don't want to send this into PP too often for a polish due to horrible wait times, unlike say with the fast turnaround of AP.

Craftsman
    I've been wearing mine regularly for months and there's not a mark on it.......
    Just out of interest, do you wear it in the bath/shower/swimming?

(Bet you don't)

Just out of interest, do you wear it in the bath/shower/swimming?

(Bet you don't)
    To be fair, I don't wear any of my watches in the bath or shower, and I wear a G-Shock on the beach/by the pool.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st August 2017 at 22:03.

Journeyman
    Crabs?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    To be fair, I don't wear any of my watches in the bath or shower........
    Which you have in common with 99% of watch wearers (self included).

Which is odd, given the 5711 is WR to 120 metres(?). I mean it's not as if the water's going to damage it, is it?

But as to the knocks and scratches, verv's 100% right. Depends what your normal day involves.

There's also the effect constantly wearing a very good watch has on the subconscious way you take care of it during your day even if you've long since stopped noticing that you do it.

But some people's day and work and lifestyle make it almost inevitable that the watch will occasionally make inappropriate contact with a hard/abrasive etc surface of some kind.

IMO the Patek doesn't 'wear' these marks as comfortably as, say, a Sub does.

To draw an analogy, you hardly notice a broken nose on a boxer's face. But you do on a model's.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    Crabs?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    Nope. Page 3 para 2 of "Taking care of my SS Nautilus" Vol. 4 subtitled "avoiding scuffs and scratches".

That is a very good looking watch. The discussion on value and resistance to wear has been done before. That does not mean it is not relevant, but if folks have the funds and the desire to own and wear such watches good luck to them.

It must take a very deep breath to actually step up and part with the "readies" for such a costly item that I guess most of us would find a more justifiable use for the money.

Master
    Undeniably true. It's a great big slug of money. But how often can you spend big cash on a consumer durable and probably get your money back? I don't know how popular these would be if they took a big hit in depreciation. I wouldn't then own one.
    Anyway, I have been wearing a 5711 on the beach today. You can't let fear of marks and scratches dominate.
    Incidentally, my run of the mill Mazda cx3 will cost me far, far, more to own than the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Undeniably true. It's a great big slug of money. But how often can you spend big cash on a consumer durable and probably get your money back? I don't know how popular these would be if they took a big hit in depreciation. I wouldn't then own one.
    Anyway, I have been wearing a 5711 on the beach today. You can't let fear of marks and scratches dominate.
    Incidentally, my run of the mill Mazda cx3 will cost me far, far, more to own than the watch.
    Indeed - like certain Rolex, there is no risk if you have the cash in the bank!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfm View Post
    Based on your extensive ownership experience...
    Pipe it down little online bully

Pipe it down little online bully
    How is it bullying?

You've given an opinion on something you have no experience of? And I correctly pointed it out.

Come back and tell us how easily they scratch when you've had one for a few months/years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfm View Post
    How is it bullying?

You've given an opinion on something you have no experience of? And I correctly pointed it out.

Come back and tell us how easily they scratch when you've had one for a few months/years.
    Lol. You are strange and in the wrong. What can I say buddy.

Lol. You are strange and in the wrong. What can I say buddy.
    Ah yes - I am the strange one.

Have you ever owned a Nautilus?