closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Add on to Singapore holiday, any suggestions

Add on to Singapore holiday, any suggestions

I am planning an add on 3-4 day trip to our Singapore and Penang visit in January next year.
    Looking at Bali, which I'm not entirely convinced on, or the Philippines possibly maybe Vietnam.
    Any suggestions please, it will be only 3-4 nights and at just under 4 hours from Singapore that's as far as I'd want to go.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I am planning an add on 3-4 day trip to our Singapore and Penang visit in January next year.
    Looking at Bali, which I'm not entirely convinced on, or the Philippines possibly maybe Vietnam.
    Any suggestions please, it will be only 3-4 nights and at just under 4 hours from Singapore that's as far as I'd want to go.
    Why not go by train to Malaysia and Kuala Lumpa. It is a nice journey to see some country and end up in another great place.

For a bench holiday, Bali hits the spot. For a city break I would suggest Hong Kong. Lots to do, eat and shop (watches) whilst you there!

Master
    I am going to Singapore with friends in November, and after a few days there we have decided on 4 days in Bali. Then we go back to Singapore for a night (staying Marina Bay Sands), followed by the train up to KL.

So we are covering both the suggestions!!

If you're a diver, there's a chance you could get a few days in Manado and Lembeh (flights are 3.30 from Spore).

We're going out there in October (and then on to Halmahera), and the diving in Manado / Bangka is quite extraordinary, but the muck diving in the Lembeh Straits is absolutely out of this world...

Flamboyant Cuttlefish (Crop)

Master
    Enough time to get to Siem Reap and do Angkor Wat?

Master
    If it's a beach / chill few days then,

Langkawi and either the datai or the four seasons. Or Lombok which is the next island to Bali but was significantly less touristy when we went some years back, we stayed in the oberoi but there may well be more choice now.

I didn't like KL, it's just a business district really with some huge shopping malls (both high end and low end). I'd head to Langkawi for a few days, some great things to see/do there, cable car, mangroves, 7 wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great suggestions, thankyou.
    A little history on where weve been, done KL a few times already and like it a lot. Done Langkawi a few times and i reckon its got poorer ? not sure thats the right word, over the years, so thats out.
    Singapore is to meet friends and an intense city break, Tiger Balm gardens is top of my list, its changed name now, but 50 years ago thats what it was, still got the brochure!!
    Then we have 6 or 7 nights in Penang for the Taipusam festival and relaxing at our favoritte hotel, the Lone Pine.
    So have looked at other places in Indonesia but want to keep transfer times to under an hour and need everyday flights. Bali does look good but is it another city break with a beach ??
    As for Angkor Wat, pushing to top of list but flights are expensive and few.
    The train journey is something im up for but timing is just out for that.
    Hong Kong is winter for them so wrong time of year.
    Anybody been to the Philippines ??, Manilla would be another city break but how easy is it to get out and about, as much as id like to dive its just not my thing really.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sarawak ?

mike

Obviously it all depends on what you like to do. In four days you could:

• Get off the beaten track in Java, visiting Yogyakarta, and the amazing historical sites of Borobudur and Prambanan.
    • Fly to Sabah in Borneo and climb Mount Kinabalu.
    • Take the short hop to Pulau Tioman or one of the other islands east of Peninsular Malaysia and chill out.
    • Phnom Penh/Killing Fields memorial/Siem Reap/ruins of Angkor
    • Ho Chi Minh/Củ Chi tunnels
    • I'm not a big fan of Bali, there are far nicer islands of the Indonesian archipelago, Lombok and the Gili Islands being the obvious choice.

Of course there are many, many other options as well!

A little history on where weve been, done KL a few times already and like it a lot. Done Langkawi a few times and i reckon its got poorer ? not sure thats the right word, over the years, so thats out.
    Singapore is to meet friends and an intense city break, Tiger Balm gardens is top of my list, its changed name now, but 50 years ago thats what it was, still got the brochure!!
    Then we have 6 or 7 nights in Penang for the Taipusam festival and relaxing at our favoritte hotel, the Lone Pine.
    So have looked at other places in Indonesia but want to keep transfer times to under an hour and need everyday flights. Bali does look good but is it another city break with a beach ??
    Anybody been to the Philippines ??, Manilla would be another city break but how easy is it to get out and about, as much as id like to dive its just not my thing really.

Only been to the Phillipines once..........that was over 30 years ago!

So things may have changed!! I didnt think much of Manila, lots of poverty (and I have been all around S.E. Asia! for the best part of 35 years!
    so Ive seen poverty).....I also didnt like the signs in shopping malls/outside shops/restaurants etc............telling you to leave your guns! with security!

I didnt feel particularly safe there either!

We were there last year and if it's your type of thing, head over to Sabah in Borneo and go on the search for Orangutan :) One of the few remaining places on the planet with primary rainforest and Orangutan in their natural habitat. Lots of other wildlife stuff to do as well. We stayed at the rainforest lodge and I'd 100% recommend.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a short break in the Philippines if you're only looking at manila. It's very over crowded, mass poverty and polluted. I've been going there since 1997 and lived out there for about 2 years recently. There are alot nicer places outside manila like bohol (be careful as extremists are in the area now having moved north), palawan, the rice terraces in North luzon. Maybe look at cebu, I've never been but I hear good things about it.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

For honeymoon I stayed at InterContinental at Jimbaran, Bali - which was fantastic.

I'd like to visit bali again, and the Hanging Garden is top of the list:

http://www.beasecret.com/2016/06/han...s-of-bali.html

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    For honeymoon I stayed at InterContinental at Jimbaran, Bali - which was fantastic.

I'd like to visit bali again, and the Hanging Garden is top of the list:

http://www.beasecret.com/2016/06/han...s-of-bali.html
    Wow that is nice

Quote Originally Posted by seikoking View Post
    We were there last year and if it's your type of thing, head over to Sabah in Borneo and go on the search for Orangutan :) One of the few remaining places on the planet with primary rainforest and Orangutan in their natural habitat. Lots of other wildlife stuff to do as well. We stayed at the rainforest lodge and I'd 100% recommend.
    My father was born in Singapore and I went back with him 7 years ago, we spent a few days doing just as you did, great experience.

I'm off out there in 2 weeks with my wife and son, am really looking forward to it. Booked all the trips yesterday, zoo, night safari, sentosa, marina bay hotel 1 night, bus tour, little India tour, not sure how I'm going to fit visiting the relatives in.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    My father was born in Singapore and I went back with him 7 years ago, we spent a few days doing just as you did, great experience.

I'm off out there in 2 weeks with my wife and son, am really looking forward to it. Booked all the trips yesterday, zoo, night safari, sentosa, marina bay hotel 1 night, bus tour, little India tour, not sure how I'm going to fit visiting the relatives in.
    I would be interested to find how you got on, not sure on how many nights we will be in Singapore as want to do so much in a short space of time.
    Will be doing the Zoo for sure or the night safari. Haw Par villa also. Singapore sling in Raffles is on the list, rooftop bars at night.

Master
    I can highly recommend Angkor though I was there quite a few years back. Definitely worth the cost/effort.
    For Bali you could do the hills not the beach (same goes for Thailand).
    Would not recommend Philippines given such a short time. Manila is not great. The island are amazing but take time to get to.
    How about Myanmar? Not done it myself but must be lots to see and certainly more of an 'adventure'.

Craftsman
    Bali or Gili Islands. Both are fantastic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Bali two years ago, Nusa Dua which was lovely and Singapore on the way home. Both were fantastic and enjoyed them lots but no need to go back. Vietnam the following year and I just have to go back, the most stunning place with the most funny and beautiful people.

Have fun

Been in Singapore for last 10 years.

I love Bali. It makes me happy...

Manila is a sh*thole, best avoided. Boracay in the 'Pines is stunning and you can now fly direct from Singapore.

Saigon/HCMC is a good weekend away. Plenty of history, great food and culture.

Cambodia is wonderful and super cheap. The temples at Siem Reap are the obvious choice, but I like Phnom Penh for its relaxed Asian/French feel.

Add on to Singapore holiday, any suggestions

Chiang Mai? Or Ao Nang as a base in Krabi, taking a long boat out every morning to the various little beaches/islands.

If you go to Chiang Mai I can tell you where you can buy a Daytona/Deepsea Cameron from an AD there

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Chiang Mai? Or Ao Nang as a base in Krabi, taking a long boat out every morning to the various little beaches/islands.

If you go to Chiang Mai I can tell you where you can buy a Daytona/Deepsea Cameron from an AD there

Ryan, what are you like? I'm going on holiday, not watch shopping.
    Ha ha only joking.
    Well after much looking, I reckon we are going to do
    Singapore 3 nights, sights, meeting friends living there, shopping (watches?)
    Siem reap 3 nights, Angkor Wat and Thom and more
    Penang 6 nights, still trying to find one of the houses I lived in, fourth time lucky hopefully, then back to Singapore for the last night before heading home.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Been in Singapore for last 10 years.

I love Bali. It makes me happy...

Manila is a sh*thole, best avoided. Boracay in the 'Pines is stunning and you can now fly direct from Singapore.

Saigon/HCMC is a good weekend away. Plenty of history, great food and culture.

Cambodia is wonderful and super cheap. The temples at Siem Reap are the obvious choice, but I like Phnom Penh for its relaxed Asian/French feel.
    I agree with all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app