closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Timefactors watches. Which one?

Craftsman

Timefactors watches. Which one?

At the risk of putting up a common/boring thread,I am thinking of buying a Timefactors watch but which one?
    Choices:
    1. PRS 29a - right size (36mm) but dial looks maybe too military.
    2. PRS 37 (Seafire) bigger (40mm) and maybe a bit thick for quartz but photos seem to have the look of a black Damasko which I quite like.Does it wear large?
    3. PRS 25 (Everest) - a forum favourite I think but some members seem to find it a chunky watch,wearing maybe too large?
    At the prices for them,I'm sure that I can't really go wrong whichever choice I make.
    Apologies if I should have posted this in another sub forum!

Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    At the risk of putting up a common/boring thread,I am thinking of buying a Timefactors watch but which one?
    Choices:
    1. PRS 29a - right size (36mm) but dial looks maybe too military.
    2. PRS 37 (Seafire) bigger (40mm) and maybe a bit thick for quartz but photos seem to have the look of a black Damasko which I quite like.Does it wear large?
    3. PRS 25 (Everest) - a forum favourite I think but some members seem to find it a chunky watch,wearing maybe too large?
    At the prices for them,I'm sure that I can't really go wrong whichever choice I make.
    Apologies if I should have posted this in another sub forum!
    PRS 25 is sold out, if you were thinking of buying new. I wouldn't say it wears large, but if you feel 36mm is your sweet spot, it may be too big for your liking.

Blog Entries
    Sorry but none of the above for me! I'd go prs3 or prs3 limited if you can stand the yellow or orange.

PRS 37 (Seafire) bigger (40mm) and maybe a bit thick for quartz but photos seem to have the look of a black Damasko which I quite like.Does it wear large?
    I'd say it wears a bit smaller, if anything. (7.25" wrist). It certainly 'feels' smaller than some other 40mm watches I own.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Prs-25 and Prs-18a are the standouts for me, and watches i'll probably own again at some point.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the responses so far.
    Yes,the PRS 25 sold out yesterday.
    Carpe diem indeed.
    Well done to the buyers of the last ones in stock - they do look lovely watches.

Master
    22 and 44.

The diver is pure class that is right up my street. The speedbird III is one I probably wouldn't have looked at twice but now I would very gladly wear!

Master
    Just seen the 68 for the first time. That was nice!

Craftsman
    Of what Eddie has as stock I would go for an PRS-82 diver

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Of what Eddie has as stock I would go for an PRS-82 diver
    What he said ^^^^

Timefactors watches. Which one?

The Speedbird III has got to be high on the list and if you don't mind the dial, a 38 wears much better than a 37. Spec wise they appear very similar but the 37 case back is much deeper to allow for the large battery.

Having previously owned both, I would have another 38 but not 37.

The 40 would also be a very good choice. Cheap too!

Just one?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Just one?
    At a time - I'm not greedy.
    Still leaning towards Seafire. I can see the attraction of the divers but I have a couple of Seiko divers so am looking for something different for now.
    This hobby can be addictive;I just bought my last watch two weeks ago.

If you can find a Broadarrow PRS3/4/11 they are outstanding and certainly one I will always keep. There was a PRS 4 on SC last week. The PRS 25 is also superb and looks great on leather or a Nato.
    The PRS 2 or the Voyager are super tool watches but maybe not for a small wrist. So many to try, but these are my favourites.

Craftsman
    I'm sorry but the PRS 29a looks really silly on a mans wrist... would be Ok as a ladies watch.
    http://www.timefactors.com/images/PRS29/smithsmil19.jpg

Yes, I know that these watches are a homage to what was worn in decades now long gone. I have both of my Grandfathers old war-time military watches... I appreciate them for what they are and I have tried them on at home once or twice, but I sure as hell would not walk out my front door wearing such a small watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I'm sorry but the PRS 29a looks really silly on a mans wrist... would be Ok as a ladies watch.
    http://www.timefactors.com/images/PRS29/smithsmil19.jpg

Yes, I know that these watches are a homage to what was worn in decades now long gone. I have both of my Grandfathers old war-time military watches... I appreciate them for what they are and I have tried them on at home once or twice, but I sure as hell would not walk out my front door wearing such a small watch.
    Nonsense. Well maybe depending a bit on wrist size, for those with a smaller wrist is perfect IMO. Loved wearing mine when I had it, cracking little watch.

PDR- depends on your size of wrist! I'm 6.75" and suit these size of watches.Above 42mm depending on design and thickness they can look ridiculous on me. Lusted after a unitas panerai luminor but looks ridiculous on me.sigh.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I loved the PRS-82 wished id never sold it.
    I kept the Everest, didnt last with the 29, 18Q or the seafire.
    Going to buy the 82 again I think.

Gotta say the Everst is sooo versatile strap wise, totally changes the look
    cheers andy

Of the three you post TC, I'd go for the PRS25. Looks like you have a perfect hunt ahead of you!

18 is the one I keep coming back to
    22 is a classic
    I'd like to try a 40 sometime
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

You're having a giraffe. The 29a is a very nicely proportioned three-hander, as was the W10.

Can't go far wrong with a Speedbird. I'd really like to try a Seafire (particularly that bead-blasted one).

I don't agree that the 29a is too small at all

The case is quite chunky and it has presence even on larger wrists

Its an excellent watch

Master
    I'd personally recommend the SBlll but if you intend to keep it on the bracelet getting a comfy fit can be an issue, would really like to try the 82 at some point.

Craftsman
    It is just as well that we don't all like the same things.

The original picture I posted was of the 36mm version on a 19cm wrist which looks ridiculously small.

Here is the 39 mm version on the same mans wrist..http://www.timefactors.com/images/PRS29/smithsmil17.jpg

Still looks way TOO small.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You're having a giraffe. The 29a is a very nicely proportioned three-hander, as was the W10.

Can't go far wrong with a Speedbird. I'd really like to try a Seafire (particularly that bead-blasted one).
    YES!, now see, that looks PERFECT :-)

My criteria is that the watch lugs should at least come close to either side of the wrist when looking directly down on the watch.

Well that's a 29a on my 17.5cm wrist. Last time I checked I was definitely not a lady.

My criteria is that the watch lugs should at least come close to either side of the wrist when looking directly down on the watch.
    The 29s do have long lugs, so that should work for you. Also, they're all dial, so give the impression of being larger than they are.

Yours is looking great, Mr Curta.

It is just as well that we don't all like the same things.

The original picture I posted was of the 36mm version on a 19cm wrist which looks ridiculously small.

Here is the 39 mm version on the same mans wrist..http://www.timefactors.com/images/PRS29/smithsmil17.jpg

Still looks way TOO small.
    I find it hard to believe it is a 39mm watch.

I think that the Armstrong Siddley is a very pretty piece, reminiscent of the Omega Railmaster.
    I don't have any affiliation with the A-S marque, but the watch has ideal dimensions for me at 42mm.

Likewise the Smiths Black Shadow - a clever piece and worth a look for anyone with an affection for old British motorcycles.
    Last edited by W124; 27th July 2017 at 14:33.

The PRS 29a is the one I would go for. It is a lovely watch, perfectly proportioned, and I still miss mine. The dial area is about the same as a 40mm Rolex.

Dave

Craftsman
    There is certainly a lot of goodwill on this forum for TF watches.
    If I didn't have a diver, the 82 is a classic old style,if I can put it that way,diver's watch - the 40mm size is ok for that style of watch for me but I now prefer smaller sizes and no date preferably but if I was looking for a diver that would be a leading candidate.
    The 29a (thanks for the photos,by the way) looks more appealing and is a good size for me.
    Perhaps,fortunately for me the TF site appears not to be open until next Tuesday for orders as I was tempted to order the 29a and see what it is like.
    (There's still the Seafire too!).
    The 25 still looks good and I might keep my eyes open on SC.
    As I say to my wife and daughter there are always houses,cars,handbags,shoes,and watches for sale.(God alone knows how many shoes my wife alone possesses).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    I'd personally recommend the SBlll but if you intend to keep it on the bracelet getting a comfy fit can be an issue, would really like to try the 82 at some point.
    I must be one of the lucky ones. I recently acquired a SB3 and managed to get the IWC clone bracelet to fit perfectly.

It's a lovely watch on the bracelet, but gets way more wrist time with me whilst on a plain black NATO.

Currently on duty as my holiday watch of choice.

Craftsman
    A Seafire is on the way.
    Many thanks to all who responded to the thread.
    That's my third watch purchase this year and my last until maybe Christmas time - I mean that now!

Journeyman
    I'm enamored with the SBIII, have 2 black ones (one with lumed numerals) and a cream dialed version. On my 6.75" wrist, it's just right. I'm happy with the bracelet, honestly the next bracelet I like better is on the Explorer 214270 and it's not *that* much better! The 29a is pretty good looking though... The SBIIIs seem to be getting hard to come by lately. I'm looking to add the SBIII GMT if I can find one.

I miss my Black Shadow... I might have to get another one.

I do love the Siddeley too though.