closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ploprof 600 spring bars

ploprof 600 spring bars

Turning into a bit of a saga my recent ploprof 600 purchase..I ordered a mesh from Omega and after six weeks it finally arrived but time constraints meant I could collect from Bond street and instead had it posted. The problem is the spring bars that were on the 1162/162 bracelet that the watch came on are too fat to fit through the mesh and none of my vast collection of bars will fit..either they are thin enough to go through the mesh but too thin for the lug holes in the case or too fat for the mesh..I now wish Id found the time to go to the boutique and let them fit the bracelet.

Does anybody know what size bars fit this combo and the best place to pick them up?

Thanks

Keith

All the accumulated wisdom on here but nobody can answer my question??
    Thanks
    Keith

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I could if I were him with my watch Keith as I have a 600 on mesh, but am not there.

does cousins website give any ideas?

mike

It's a pity you aren't near to me, I've just invested in some digital calipers and could have accurately measured the diameters of the bar that fits in the mesh and the ends that fit in the lugs, that would seem to be a good start for a proper fit. Can the boutique not supply the info and/or the bars?
    F.T.F.A.

There's a comparison of 600m/1200m bracelets & springbars here:

http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....96/pi-3235621/

May be of some help?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    There's a comparison of 600m/1200m bracelets & springbars here:

http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....96/pi-3235621/

May be of some help?
    thanks for the replies guys, my micrometer was the next step but this link is perfect hadn't seen it before so thats a big help, I did ask the boutique yesterday, no reply yet its a bit stingy that the mesh extension comes with bars but the bracelet doesnt but c'est la vie. Cheers Keith

Grand Master
    A digital caliper is an incredibly useful too; best £30 anyone can spend on tools, so useful for measuring lots of stuff.

Here's a tip: if you don`t know the size of the holes in the case, press a piece of Rodico (or blue tac) into the hole and take an imprint. Take a strong magnifier (preferably the type you hold in the eye socket) and inspect the imprint. Take your vernier caliper and measure the imprint diameter. You need to be careful not to crush it, but it enables you to estimate the thickness fairly accurately. Next, measure your springbars and find one that fits snugly.

Here's another tip: if the springbar isn`t quite as snug a fit in the lug hole as you'd like, take some small pliers with flat jaws and squeeze the ends very carefully. This will make them slightly oval and that'll take up the slack, not the best way to solve the problem but sometimes necessary on old watches if the holes have worn big......getting the correct size is preferable!

Even fairly trivial watch jobs involve working on a smaller scale than most people are used to, it's all simple in principle but it requires a degree of dexterity and co-ordination that's difficult to develop if you're not accustomed to it. A couple of magnifiers, some tweezers, Rodico for holding parts, calipers for measuring, a decent light to work under..........these are the keys to making the jobs far easier. It's worth getting these things, it's far better way to spend money than buying watchwinders or expensive straps!

Back to the OP's problem, once you've worked out what size/dimensions you need you could check if Cousins have them or contact the Omega Boutique and ask for a couple.

As I`ve said many times, working over a tray is always a good idea. Ideal for catching dropped parts.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A digital caliper is an incredibly useful too; best £30 anyone can spend on tools, so useful for measuring lots of stuff.
    A couple of magnifiers, some tweezers, Rodico for holding parts, calipers for measuring, a decent light to work under..........these are the keys to making the jobs far easier. It's worth getting these things, it's far better way to spend money than buying watchwinders or expensive straps! Paul
    After my earlier reply here I got to wondering what kind of sizes we are talking about here. Some new and unused bars with an unworn Sinn 20mm strap were 0.79mm diameter at the ends, up to some Seiko 22mm fat bars, at 1.09mm, so I guess the cases these go in are drilled to 0.8mm and 1.1mm respectively. The end on my Bergeon tool is also 0.79mm. I also learned that I need some magnification! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

You not got my old PP600?? I've got some that will do the job drop me a PM and i'll chuck some in the post

I wouldn't bet on the Omega store doing it correctly - I imagine they would just stick it on whatever springbars fitted the strap and not worry about them wobbling in the lugs..

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Here's a tip: if you don`t know the size of the holes in the case, press a piece of Rodico (or blue tac) into the hole and take an imprint. Take a strong magnifier (preferably the type you hold in the eye socket) and inspect the imprint. Take your vernier caliper and measure the imprint diameter. You need to be careful not to crush it, but it enables you to estimate the thickness fairly accurately. Next, measure your springbars and find one that fits snugly.

Here's another tip: if the springbar isn`t quite as snug a fit in the lug hole as you'd like, take some small pliers with flat jaws and squeeze the ends very carefully. This will make them slightly oval and that'll take up the slack, not the best way to solve the problem but sometimes necessary on old watches if the holes have worn big......getting the correct size is preferable!

Even fairly trivial watch jobs involve working on a smaller scale than most people are used to, it's all simple in principle but it requires a degree of dexterity and co-ordination that's difficult to develop if you're not accustomed to it. A couple of magnifiers, some tweezers, Rodico for holding parts, calipers for measuring, a decent light to work under..........these are the keys to making the jobs far easier. It's worth getting these things, it's far better way to spend money than buying watchwinders or expensive straps!

Back to the OP's problem, once you've worked out what size/dimensions you need you could check if Cousins have them or contact the Omega Boutique and ask for a couple.

As I`ve said many times, working over a tray is always a good idea. Ideal for catching dropped parts.

Paul
    Thanks for the advice Paul, one thing that I tend to do is to place the piece/job inside a clear plastic bag and then work on it be looking through the bag - that way anything that "pops off"...doesnt reach orbit and end up in a parallel universe...
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    You not got my old PP600?? I've got some that will do the job drop me a PM and i'll chuck some in the post
    Sadly that one was sold on after a few years and I missed it so much that I replaced it finally this year with this one..lacks the individual treatment on the case back (the engraved ID number) but otherwise very similar to your old watch. I'll drop you a PM.
    Cheers Keith

I think the spring bars for the mesh bracelet should be reference 068ST9928 they should only cost a couple of pound from a decent AD (although I doubt they will have them in stock)
    PM me if you get stuck