closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sale of petrol & diesel cars banned by 2040?

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Yep.... that's my thoughts as well. It seems the worlds been getting a crappier place every year for the last xxx years.
    Bring back the good old days when all we had to worry about was the plague, leprosy, TB, smallpox, yellow fever, cholera, ebola or one of the many wars throughout history.

If I could time travel it would be to early to mid 80's and stay in that time band in a sort of Groundhog day except obviously years rather than a day :)

My kids will be pushing my bath chair if I'm lucky to still be around, so I'm out!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    How will the Government recover all of the lost duty and VAT from the sale of fossil fuels when the majority of private car journeys are made using electricity?
    Simple.........bring in a tax on tattoos and facial hair

One thing's for sure, the shortfall will have to be made good from somewhere.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    most of the PR is about older cars and lorries yet they omit to mention that, there are retrofitable exhaust scrubbers available now, why are they not making them mandatory (instant fix). Aircraft produce far more pollution than cars per passenger mile, why are they not picking on them?
    What´s more, aircraft release the crap up where it does more damage too.
    Also no view on electric aircraft is there?!
    Again; it is not about the environment AT ALL.

As to tax income, that is way easier to control through electricity and pay per ride. In fact the movement of the population is thus under total control too. The latter is the real agenda of banning the internal combustion engine.

A friend of mine is a scientist at a government research centre. He's someone who can say with all honesty that he is a rocket scientist. Because he spends most of his time developing space rockets. He has also been working in a project team looking at wireless charging technology for cars and in particular building this into road infrastructure. The concept is a new road surface that acts as a giant solar panel and the cats eyes or other road furniture act as wirless chargers, sending small bursts of wireless charge to your car as you drive past. There is huge government interest and sponsorship for this project. Clearly the build costs would be extraordinary and it's many many decades away, but he tells me from a purely scientific perspective it's definitely possible. So who knows, maybe in our kids lifetimes we'll have toll roads that provide at least some of the power for the cars wirelessly.

Craftsman
    Will never happen due to the amount of taxes in purchases and fuel etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotta love government planning using Madam Zeldas crystal ball 🔮!

what bothers me about no public ownership of cars is this: publc transport is often smelly, dirty, a drunk has been sick in it, etc etc. Who is going to clean these millions of vehicles that are on call via an app?
    In general, people have no pride of ownership of public transportation, and it shows.

They'll probably all be owned and run by hire car companies so will be pulled in for cleaning on a regular basis determined by on board sensors/cameras etc.

Any excess dirtiness will be charged to the user responsible!

I've been commuting for the last 7 years by EV and am a complete convert, however I also have both vintage and modern V8s in the stable. The thought of such machines being banned will cause a tear to be shed if it does indeed happen. I think it's unnecessary personally.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I've been commuting for the last 7 years by EV and am a complete convert, however I also have both vintage and modern V8s in the stable. The thought of such machines being banned will cause a tear to be shed if it does indeed happen. I think it's unnecessary personally.
    I don't think existing cars will be banned , it's the sale of new ones that'll stop. Usually we have the good sense not to apply legislation retrospectively...........usually!

Paul

Master
    Remember that we're talking 23 years' time. With the current EV and Hybrid trend, it's unlikely that petrol and diesel engines will still be in manufacture then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Remember that we're talking 23 years' time. With the current EV and Hybrid trend, it's unlikely that petrol and diesel engines will still be in manufacture then anyway.
    Hence my point about it being unnecessary to ban the sale of new ones. I suppose they're like steam engines, there will always be the possibility to relive the past thanks to enthusiasts keeping the old ones going. But it will mark the end of an era that I enjoyed.

Journeyman
    Trouble is we have no idea how efficient/clean petrol and diesel cars would be by 2040 if not for this legislation. But of course telling manufacturers and refiners not to invest too much in R&D means we'll never know. Still, I suppose the bullet has to be bitten sometime

Master
    Hence my point about it being unnecessary to ban the sale of new ones. I suppose they're like steam engines, there will always be the possibility to relive the past thanks to enthusiasts keeping the old ones going. But it will mark the end of an era that I enjoyed.
    I see what you're saying, but if they don't set a time limit via a ban, there's less motivation for manufacturers to invest quickly in researching the new technology.

Compared to other countries, 2040 is late. Norway are saying 2030 I believe, with India and Germany saying 2035.

And the US?

No mention from HMG about all the immense tonnage of pollution produced from trains, lorries buses.
    Not forgetting ( as said above) aircraft, but also totally unregulated shipping! They can chuck out whatever they want, even raw sewage outside the 12 mile limit!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7821911.html
    Last edited by sestrel; 31st July 2017 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    No mention from HMG about all the immense tonnage of pollution produced from trains, lorries buses.
    Not forgetting ( as said above) aircraft, but also totally unregulated shipping! They can chuck out whatever they want, even raw sewage outside the 12 mile limit!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7821911.html

Good point.

It is always cars that are demonised but plenty of other forms of transport definitely warrant looking at.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    And the US?
    LOL! No chance I reckon.

currently have a hybrid and no doubt next car will be a full Electric if I can do it.

then for holidays we'd have to use trains and planes and buses and hire cars with better ranges etc.. (or some sort of battery replacement service - all very possible by 2040)

my concern is classic cars - I am a sucker for originality and wont even put electronic ignition in mine...
    though if it meant not using it or getting it converted to electric - i'd have to think about keeping the original engine as a coffee table prop

as has been said a car and car journey as we know it today will be a very different thing for the youth of 2040 beyond.... "what? you used to have to buy your own car and fuel grandad?"
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 31st July 2017 at 11:57.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Hohoho not so fast

Together with Brexit the UK is also leaving Euratom.

That will have grave consequences for the UK electricity generation.
    It is not unthinkable that the whole 2040 plan will need to be canned.
    Better wait till after this has been sorted out before betting on electric cars.

Craftsman
    Electric cars will be a passing phase.... fuel cells are the future and our filling stations will dispense hydrogen

Master
    And what will HMG do if the manufacturers just don't produce electric cars? Will they allow the country to grind to a halt?
    Improved technology should see the fossil fuel engine go the way that the horse went some 100 years ago, becoming a recreational avenue for the better off.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Electric cars will be a passing phase.... fuel cells are the future and our filling stations will dispense hydrogen
    Technically and environmentally yes but socio-politically the States (will) want to do away with the independant car for the masses. The electric car, preferrably not privately owned, foots the bill perfectly.

Again; it is NOT about the environment AT ALL.
    See shipping and aircraft, to stay in the transport sector.

They're still electric, just that electricity is generated onboard.

Can't see it happening though. Far easier to distribute electricity than hydrogen, where does it come from anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They're still electric, just that electricity is generated onboard.

Can't see it happening though. Far easier to distribute electricity than hydrogen, where does it come from anyway?
    hydrogen also fuels internal combustion engines. It comes from reforming methane, mostly, and is transported as a high pressure gas (long red BOC tube trailers) or liquified (NASA rocket fuel). Air Products amongst others suppliers hydrogen and car filling stations.

Hydrogen fuel cells are a dead end.

They will never be widely adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    hydrogen also fuels internal combustion engines. It comes from reforming methane, mostly, and is transported as a high pressure gas (long red BOC tube trailers) or liquified (NASA rocket fuel). Air Products amongst others suppliers hydrogen and car filling stations.

Not a sustainable source then!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Hydrogen fuel cells are a dead end.

They will never be widely adopted.
    Well - we'll see in the fullness of time.

Personally I don't think the implications of a huge increase in battery manufacturing and disposal have been fully considered.

I don't think battery disposal will be an issue, I believe that they'll be recycled almost ad infinitum and we won't be needing huge batteries.

Dynamic Induction charging on the major road networks along with home charging will negate the need for batteries larger than those in use today (30kwhr or thereabouts).

Of course, should the idea of car ownership become a thing of the past then no one will care how a car is charged as long as it gets us to our destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not a sustainable source then!
    Methanogens - just about the oldest organisms on earth

Journeyman
    Its a fair old way away yet, but it will come around soon enough. Might keep my V8 wrapped up in the garage, could be worth a few bob one day :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    With the UK leaving the EU and Euratom, it will be interesting to see what plan the gvt has about generating the energy. To replace the fossil fuel by electricity the production needs to be seriously increased.

Quote Originally Posted by chriskibbledj View Post
    Its a fair old way away yet, but it will come around soon enough. Might keep my V8 wrapped up in the garage, could be worth a few bob one day :D
    ...or nothing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    ...or nothing.
    Probably nothing. :D