closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions sought: Is the 216570 a keeper?

Opinions sought: Is the 216570 a keeper?

Thinking of having a reshuffle of some of my watches and adding a 216570 white dial/polar and want to know if anyone here has bought and suffered buyers remorse.

I currently have BLNR, Speedy, and MM300 but am thinking of ditching the Speedy and MM300 then adding the 216570 white dial but the prices of the 5 digit model Explorer II compared to the Subs make me a bit hesitant.

The reason I'm not getting on with the Speedy is lack of date. I added the micro adjustable clasp which is great but the lack of date still bugs me.

The reason I'll probably get rid of he MM300 is because that was my 'flying under the radar' watch with a date for when I didn't want to wear the BLNR but still wanted the date the Speedy lacked even though the Speedy is also under the radar.

I was going to get the Submariner Date as I don't need another GMT hand watch but then I would have two Rolexes which are quite noticeably Rolex and would prefer something a little less loud. I know you guys say no one looks at what you wear etc but I work in sales and there is a stigma around jumped up little salesmen wearing a flash Rolex even if it is just a Submariner Date. Likewise an Explorer I would be happy to take on holiday whereas the BLNR I always leave at home.

Thoughts?

Master
    I have both EXP2 and BLNR and find them quite different. The EXP2 is very much under the radar, especially as I currently wear it on a NATO strap. IMHO it is a very underrated watch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    IMHO it is a very underrated watch.
    Not just your opinion. One of the slowest sellers in the sports/professional lineup, I understand.

Nice watch though, so no reason not to add to the collection.

If you want to have something more subtle why not try the black dial Exp2? I wear mine most of the time and I don't think anyone's noticed it in the four years I've had it. I did have to think hard about whether I'd prefer the black or white dial version, they both have a lot going for them. I can't justify having both but I'd be very happy if I did. I also bought the watch because I wanted something different and not obviously a Sub or variation thereupon and I'm very happy with it. Funnily enough I'm thinking of moving away from vintage watches and buying a BLNR and SD4000. I think they're all different enough to work together.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Not just your opinion. One of the slowest sellers in the sports/professional lineup, I understand.
    Probably true that it is a slow seller. Always in the window, usually both dials. Although how slow I don't know. I've seen a BNIB for 10% within the UK from arguably our most trusted seller.

Craftsman
    I've been contemplating a 5 and 6 digit. The 5 digit is ideal for me as a daily for work, but I have seen 2017 6 digit watches for not a lot more money. Viewed a polar 6 digit at an AD and was very impressed. Definitely underrated!!!!

They did a speedy variant with a date did they not? I'm sure someone will know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Probably true that it is a slow seller.
    I was looking for this as I remembered Haywood talking about this model on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    One of my friendly ADs rang this morning to confirm the Explorer II's drop in the price as per the website...

Interestingly, while a very busy AD, he expressed the wish that it would go below £5,000 so that he might have the chance to sell more than two a year now.

It appears that my commercial thoughts on the model are not unique.

Haywood
    Buyer's market?

Master
    There's a whole range of speedmasters with date functions, although it depends on what style you're after.

I really like the Exp2, but prefer the older ones without the fat hands.

Following this thread with interest. I'm not so sure about buyers market...I've been after a 216570 since March and despite a WTB, have not found one pre-owned or any significant discounts off the £6k price tag. All the pre-owned dealers seem to value a 6/7 year old, non-serviced example at £5k+ which I think is ridiculous. I had a battered example offered to me from a WTB for only just under £5k.

If anyone knows of good places to get a new model with discount off list, I'd be interested!

Master
    I've got a black 6 digit model and can't see me parting with it. I'd planned on buying the polar, but in real life I thought the black was more versatile for my own usage. Wouldn't say no to a polar 5 digit model though.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I've got a black 6 digit model and can't see me parting with it. I'd planned on buying the polar, but in real life I thought the black was more versatile for my own usage. Wouldn't say no to a polar 5 digit model though.

I really wanted the black dial as you hardly ever see it and I prefer black dial watches in general but the black metallic hands in the middle of the dial really didn't work for me. People say they are 'floating hands' but the illusion of floating doesn't happen for me with metallic black hands over a matt black dial.

I think it's one of those situations where I'll sway back and forth and then walk out of the store with the one I swore I wouldn't.

My opinion is that a polar 216570 looks great on pictures and in the window of your jeweller, but will be tiresome on your wrist after a while. Go for the black dial instead.

Apprentice
    The polar 216570 is something I keep coming back to. Almost bought one several times and feel I will do so very soon if a sensible discount is offered.

Tried it again today at a local Goldsmiths and made me smile. Great summer watch for me I think.

Matt

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    i prefer the black dial.

the white dial seems washed out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I really wanted the black dial as you hardly ever see it and I prefer black dial watches in general but the black metallic hands in the middle of the dial really didn't work for me. People say they are 'floating hands' but the illusion of floating doesn't happen for me with metallic black hands over a matt black dial.
    You'll get over it!
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I have had the white polar for nearly 4 years and got it at a good discount. It's not going anywhere and in fact I have now sold all my other expensive watches as this is the only watch I need. Love the white and really stands out in the sun. Do have my name down for 43mm Seadweller so hope that will give me more options but if I had only one watch it would be my polar.

It sure is a nice watch- white or black is a matter of personal preference.
    Whether or not it is a keeper depends on how you get on with it.
    Nothing negative to say about it.

Master
    My mate has a black dial and it looks great, though I prefer the white myself.

Pre owned they always seem cheaper than others so I guess they don't retain value as much as subs etc so if I was buying I'd go that route. Who knows buying for the right price may one day be a better return.

Master
    My brother has five Rolex watches of various types plus some other vintage stuff. He wears his Exp2 much more than any of his other watches.

Personally, I think the Polar Exp2 looks a bit boring in web-images, some would say understated, but it looks excellent in the real world. It is probably not for me but I can see why this watch has huge appeal to some.

My one of my favourite two modern sports Rolex models, along with the 116600. Would probably keep it over the SD if I had to choose one because I prefer its lower profile and it's a perfect fit on my wrist, plus the 3187 movement is a pleasure to use for travel. Other than that, almost every part is unique to the watch, and the legibility and tough fixed-bezel design are both in keeping with Rolex's functional heritage.

Black or white ?? reckon it would be the white for me. Maybe not as versatile as a black, but i just prefer it really, and at 42mm a descent size.

Banned
    Wanted one and completely changed my mind when I tried one on.

That said, if you do like it I'd say that's a great pair and the white dial would contrast well with your BLNR.

I liked this watch when it was launched but when I tried it just that bit big on the wrist; tried it on at Blowers and bought an IWC 7 day auto the same day, and that is also a big watch but seemed to suit me better (long sold on)

Jordan Speith was wearing his as he got the Claret Jug so that might bump up sales

Master
    I bought a black dial when it was first released. Although I've never worn it all that much, I think it's a superb watch (and certainly a keeper in my eyes).

It is very different to the Sub/SD models which was what drew me to it in the first place, but I'd suggest you try it on. It's a fairly big watch, and that doesn't work for some people.

Master
    I'm not a sophisticated enough analyst of design to know why, but I always think that the white always looks better in the old 16570, and the black better in the current 216570. I've heard others say the same.

I prefer the GMT hand on the older model (plus I have thin wrists) - this is actually my next purchase - just need to decide polar or black.

Craftsman
    I really lusted over the 5 digit exp2 for years in both black and white - very nearly convinced myself this was the watch for me. Tried it on in Watchfinder and they feel tiny... I've got 7.5 inch wrists so maybe 42mm would be better

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This watch answers the question of "what happens when you take maxi too far". Those hands are... not to my liking. The lume plots are practically the size of the numbers on the bezel. This is easily my least favorite modern "normal" reference.

Blog Entries
    I would keep the Speedy myself. I use the second hand to keep track of the date. I loved my Black Exp 2 but unfortunately it was too big for my wrists.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I would keep the Speedy myself. I use the second hand to keep track of the date. I loved my Black Exp 2 but unfortunately it was too big for my wrists.
    I did see people mention this in previous threads but seems a bit too much of a work around for me and would rather a number in a window.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    They did a speedy variant with a date did they not? I'm sure someone will know.
    Very true but it isn't the original Speedy so doesn't have the same appeal and I think after owning an Omega they are not at the same level in my eyes as a sports Rolex model so would rather a second one.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    [...]I've got 7.5 inch wrists so maybe 42mm would be better
    I can relate; as much as I like my 4- and 5-digit cases, on a flat and lean 200 mm (7 7/8") wrist, the 216570 made me get over my fundamentalist objection to increased case diameter as soon as I actually tried it on. To me, it looks more like the archetypical classic sports Rolex than its blockier Sub/GMT cousins, nice watches though they are in their way.

It's a different story for those with small wrists, who are enviably spoiled for choice, but I'm glad there are also a few proportionate options for us as well. It's a nice bonus that the matte dial and markers on the white option give it some resemblance to its plexi predecessors, too.

Tried on the black dial a couple of weeks ago in Brent Cross because of the first picture below which is stolen from someone on here.

My photography skills aren't a match for the pros here but this is why it wasn't for me. Wasn't the same in real life as it was in the pictures.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I would keep the Speedy myself. I use the second hand to keep track of the date.
    How do you do that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    How do you do that?
    It's the 26th of the month, so leave the chronometer hand stopped at 26 minutes/seconds

Craftsman

Opinions sought: Is the 216570 a keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    It's the 26th of the month, so leave the chronometer hand stopped at 26 minutes/seconds
    I was hoping that wasn't going to be the answer.......
    Last edited by toptime; 27th July 2017 at 07:17.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post

Does the gmt hand really block the hour hand like in this picture?

That doesn't look bad.

But the minute hand does get revenge on the GMT hand.