closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiu Jitsu thinking of giving it a go

Jiu Jitsu thinking of giving it a go

There are a couple of clubs not far from me, I have contacted one of them just waiting on a reply from The Jiu Jitsu Foundation.

I wrongly assumed all Jiu Jitsu was the same, the club I contacted practices Shorinji Kan described on their web site as 'A system of defensive techniques, which use an attacker’s momentum against them Traditionally based – with spectacular traditional throws Locks, strikes and throws adapted for the modern day'.
    Other than the founders name / origin I could not find a great deal of information about it, I watched a few video training sessions via you tube basically just showing how to fall, (many times over) and the odd attack scenario.

The research I carried out mostly focused on BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) I would appreciate any information from someone who is more knowledgeable on these different styles / techniques, I will be 50 next year, but from what I have been reading my age should not be a reason to not give it a go, thanks.

Brazilian JJ is a style developed by the Gracie family that focuses on fighting on the ground. It is extremely good if you're planning a new career as a fighter but a bit tedious if you're not. Exhausting too
    If you're going to start from scratch at 50 I would recommend Aikido instead (itself derived from JJ).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I gave Jiu Jitsu a go but switched to Krav Maga which is more practical and for all ages. Look for a KMG or an IKMF school.

It is a brilliant martial art. Find a club associated to the World or British Ju-Jitsu Association and you won't go far wrong.

In truth there's only one way to really find out if it will suit you.

Go along and watch a session or two. Of course the problem here is that you may not know what you're looking at to begin with in terms of quality etc but you can get a good feel for the place and I would suggest that the environment and attitude at the dojo and of the instuctor/s are key factors. A good dojo will welcome a potential new student and should be happy to let you onto the mat for a taster session if you're keen to find out more.

As far as what may best suit you (Trad JJ, BJJ, Aikido, Judo etc) it would help to know what you're looking to get out of this? Are you looking for some fitness/conditioning or more at practical applicable skills? Different arts/styles can vary quite widely in their approach and application and narrowing down what you hope to achieve can help to steer your choice.

Your age need not be a barrier but don't discount it either (My toes first touched the tatami at the tender age of 7 and are still shuffling about on it and I'm a little older than you).

You don't say what your history is, but if you've no comparable background then it will be difficult to begin with. However, providing you're reasonably fit and well and are prepared to work on your fitness/flexibility etc and are realistic, patient and determined enough then you'll be ok.

Gambatte!

jeff

Craftsman
    I used to practice Bujinkan which is derived from Ninjutsu. It was great as it taught many different disciplines. I only gave up as I couldn't dedicate more than 2 hours per week and I felt it required more time (a lot to learn).

Master
    I have attended classes for these type of martial arts a number of times over my years. They always seem to be the same format of "yes sensei (master, whatever), kiss your arse sensei, aren't you wonderful sensei" and trying to sell you things. I would just like a class where you can go and learn lots of tricksy finger-twisting moves and restraints. When I did a stint as a prison instructor I learnt a few moves eg 'pain compliance' but I would still like to do some more without all the accompanying bollocks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I have attended classes for these type of martial arts a number of times over my years. They always seem to be the same format of "yes sensei (master, whatever), kiss your arse sensei, aren't you wonderful sensei" and trying to sell you things. I would just like a class where you can go and learn lots of tricksy finger-twisting moves and restraints. When I did a stint as a prison instructor I learnt a few moves eg 'pain compliance' but I would still like to do some more without all the accompanying bollocks.
    As has been mentioned, give Krav Maga a go.

Blog Entries
    Much more important than the exact style or philosophical details of a martial arts class is what I'll loosely call the "atmosphere". Meaning, is the instructor calm and confident, helping and correcting, or like a military drill instructor? Do the students have a spirit of camaraderie and mutual help/support, or are they all only trying to out-compete each other? I think you see where this is going. The latter type of club would only be preferable if you want to learn martial arts to defend yourself at TZ-UK get togethers.

Tried Shotokan karate for a few years then switched to taekwondo for around four years but then found Kenpo.
    Out of the three Kenpo is buy far the most practical as a self defence & could save your life in a really shitty situation.
    The other two were ok but come with a lot more bullshit which really doesn't work that well once you leave the dojo unless your especially good.

Have been practising jiujitsu for the past couple of years,I'm 47 and wish I'd started it earlier when I was fitter and more flexible...on the upside a good Sensai will help you work around any injuries,although I can't say the same for all training partners,hence the reason I'm typing this wearing a shoulder brace ☹️
    Im a member of the jikishin association which is based on the more traditional variety ,but has incorporated a lot of mma techniques,it is as it should be however a self defence system and not to be practiced on your friends or work colleagues 😄...you will get choked,punched,kicked and thrown lots,but hopefully you'll laugh a lot,gain confidence and learn humility and to never underestimate anybody no matter how they look.

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    Have been practising jiujitsu for the past couple of years,I'm 47 and wish I'd started it earlier when I was fitter and more flexible...on the upside a good Sensai will help you work around any injuries,although I can't say the same for all training partners,hence the reason I'm typing this wearing a shoulder brace ☹️
    Im a member of the jikishin association which is based on the more traditional variety ,but has incorporated a lot of mma techniques,it is as it should be however a self defence system and not to be practiced on your friends or work colleagues 😄...you will get choked,punched,kicked and thrown lots,but hopefully you'll laugh a lot,gain confidence and learn humility and to never underestimate anybody no matter how they look.
    Jikishin you say...please pass on my greatest respects to my old Sensei Earl Walker if you see him! It's a small world...

Some very good advise thanks, especially regarding the mind set of instructor and fellow students, if I wasn't made welcome I would not stick around.
    I was meaning to try this 10 years ago but you know how it is, my main goal would be to help with fitness and learn a self defence discipline, I am still relatively fit for my age, use a turbo trainer 3/4 times a week, do press ups / a bit of weights but nothing special, I'm ex forces and have tried to do some form of exercise since leaving in the 90's

Definitely want to avoid Harry's experience .

Jiu Jitsu thinking of giving it a go

Took up karate (Waldo ryu) 3 years ago at the age of 43 after watching my son train for the previous 3 years. I think it is important to find a club you are happy with. I like that regardless of age, I can compete in kata and the sensei (56) stresses that what you might lack in flexibility, you can make up for with timing and speed. One of the guys I train with is 62, second dan and he has amazing power and control.

The younger kids are making and we have 2 members going off to the world championships later this year.

I hope that I can continue to train for many years. Some martial arts may be harder on the body but if you find the right one and instructor, it will stretch you physically and mentally. Give it a go and if it doesn't work, so what.
    Last edited by smalleyboy1; 25th July 2017 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Jikishin you say...please pass on my greatest respects to my old Sensei Earl Walker if you see him! It's a small world...
    Have only ever seen him at gradings and revision courses but not directly been involved with him,i train under Sensai Ricky Izod.

A lot of good points made in the above replies. My suggestion is try to find a club and style that appeals, give it a go and try and be patient.

In my case it took a little time for me to appreciate that my choice was not at all "showy".However, It is efficient when performed correctly.

A style that gives you options depending on circumstances rather than going straight for a "hard style" response might suit more, given the UK legislative approach to hands on self defence.

Good luck in your choice and have fun, because it is. Mostly.

Master
    I guess it depends on why you want to study a martial art.
    If it's for practical reasons, to know that you could defend yourself in a tight situation then something that incorporates sparring into regular training is an absolute must, a good MMA or boxing club would be your best bet, most traditional martial arts concentrate on form and 'sets or kata' which is good for muscle memory but doesn't teach 'fighting' as such.

If you have an interest in a specific style, or discipline for historic, personal or cultural reasons then just find a local club you feel comfortable at.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I guess it depends on why you want to study a martial art.
    If it's for practical reasons, to know that you could defend yourself in a tight situation then something that incorporates sparring into regular training is an absolute must, a good MMA or boxing club would be your best bet
    Whilst I agree 100% with the spirit of your post, I'd argue that the most practical thing would be taking up running.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    In truth there's only one way to really find out if it will suit you.

Go along and watch a session or two. Of course the problem here is that you may not know what you're looking at to begin with in terms of quality etc but you can get a good feel for the place and I would suggest that the environment and attitude at the dojo and of the instuctor/s are key factors....

jeff
    ^^^ Agree

I went along to 3 clubs, the first 2 just felt a little "flat", as soon I walked into the third I knew it was for me. Energy, friendliness, much more of a buzz about the place. I joined and didn't regret it

I don't fight these days however, I partner dance. I much prefer getting up close and personal with glamed up women, than hairy, sweaty men.

Just got off the phone with the bloke who runs his own place in the village I used to live in, very helpful had a chat on what I would like to try out, so this evening at 18.30 it will be Brazilian Jiu Jitsu followed up by MMA, just to get a taste of both, looking forward to it, let you know tomorrow how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Just got off the phone with the bloke who runs his own place in the village I used to live in, very helpful had a chat on what I would like to try out, so this evening at 18.30 it will be Brazilian Jiu Jitsu followed up by MMA, just to get a taste of both, looking forward to it, let you know tomorrow how it went.

That first step onto the mat is often the hardest.

Everyone there will almost certainly remember the feeling well so don't worry, I'm sure they'll look after you.

Try to relax as much as possible (which will be really counter-intuitive at first) as you'll probably be tenser than a tense thing to begin with.

Hope it all goes well for you!

jeff

That first step onto the mat is often the hardest.

Everyone there will almost certainly remember the feeling well so don't worry, I'm sure they'll look after you.

Try to relax as much as possible (which will be really counter-intuitive at first) as you'll probably be tenser than a tense thing to begin with.

Hope it all goes well for you!

jeff
    Thanks Jeff

I trained BJJ for about 3 years, from the ages of 33-36. It is an amazing martial art, very cerebral and like a 'physical' chess.

My only issue, and why I have given up now, is the incredible toll on the body. I blew out my ACL at BJJ, and my knee will ever be the same. Aside from that major injury, the toll on back, shoulders and neck (especially) made me conclude it was a young man's sport.

I still follow BJJ/MMA and every now and again consider getting back into it. I really love the sport.

But at 39, it is time to recognise I am not as bulletproof as I was.

Well I made it through my first session, well two actually I did BJJ followed by a MMA session back to back! only thought it would be a two hour job, no it was two and a half hours pretty much non stop, with small brakes to get a drink and wiped down.

The instructor was great, as were the other guys / one girl for the BJJ it very enjoyable and informative, with being a novice I was tending to use my weight and strength to avoid being turned inside out, which was initially quiet effective as I am a big ish bloke, but after numerous rounds of this, it doesn't take long for a skilled opponent to tie you up, I was expecting to be really feeling it today, but I jumped in the bath for a good soak when I get home, don't get me wrong I'm aching just not as bad as I thought I would, I was the oldest there and surprised myself with my fitness level.

I will be signing up for two sessions a week with a mixture of BJJ I'm also wanting to try the mixed stand up, loosely based on punching, kicking etc, thanks for the comments and info given on here, it was a big help.
    Last edited by geran; 28th July 2017 at 15:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    I used to practice Bujinkan which is derived from Ninjutsu. It was great as it taught many different disciplines. I only gave up as I couldn't dedicate more than 2 hours per week and I felt it required more time (a lot to learn).
    Depends what you want to get out of it and why. Over the years I've practised a few martial arts and Ninjutsu was by far the best. Bujinkan gives a great fundamental intro into body movement, balance, fulcrum's and locks.

Glad you survived Geran!

Geran - if you want any advice or have any questions ok the traditional form of Ju Jitsu which is 99% a self defence art please PM me I am a self employed instructor who should be able to answer all your questions.

Well done on trying the BJJ it's a great sport!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Whilst I agree 100% with the spirit of your post, I'd argue that the most practical thing would be taking up running.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Geran - if you want any advice or have any questions ok the traditional form of Ju Jitsu which is 99% a self defence art please PM me I am a self employed instructor who should be able to answer all your questions.

Well done on trying the BJJ it's a great sport!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Glad the session went well and that they took care of you.

Hopefully the start of a great journey for you.

Expect the aches to start properly tomorrow though :)

jeff

Glad the session went well and that they took care of you.

Hopefully the start of a great journey for you.

Expect the aches to start properly tomorrow though :)

jeff
    You were spot on about the 'try and relax' in your previous post, that is something I will have to work on, I did roll with the instructor, I could almost sense all he was doing was weighing me up, I managed to get out of a few holds by strength not technique, but all the while I knew it was coming, he just calmly as you like worked his magic until I tapped out, resistance was futile his exact word in my ear at the end of the round was 'relax'
    Last edited by geran; 28th July 2017 at 15:25.

Banned
    It is a brilliant martial art. Find a club associated to the World or British Ju-Jitsu Association and you won't go far wrong.
    My dojo master was called Far Wong.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Now you have mastered martial arts, grasshopper Geran, you may attend the next Manchester GTG where you can battle Sensei Fords in whisky drinking, Sensei Unclealec is sausage roll eating, and Sensei Burnsey66 in not turning up.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Funnily enough, I used to do krav maga, and it's the only martial art I've done where they actually train running away (it's part of the distance & awareness drills).

Joking aside, it's not just a question of running away. It's a question of knowing where the exit routes are, where obstacles & potential threats are, not getting penned in, dealing with the effects of adrenaline, etc.

I'm focusing on my taijiquan these days, but I do miss the down to earth, anything goes as long as it works approach of krav. Especially the multiple attacker stuff, which is missing in almost all traditional martial arts, particularly the sport versions like BJJ or Judo.

As the G&D is a public part of the forum there may be a reluctance for members to discuss their experiences freely here. I understand that.

My personal view is that Krav Maga should not be discussed in the same context as "traditional" martial arts. They are complementary.

There is no such thing as the "best martial art". Again, in my opinion.

My personal view is that Krav Maga should not be discussed in the same context as "traditional" martial arts. They are complementary.
    Lots of martial arts are complementary, or overlapping. The difference between krav maga and other modern styles compared to traditional ones is mainly one of approach, and a complete lack of dogma. Krav maga borrows a lot, especially from boxing and jiu jitsu, but there will be subtle differences in the applications, as well as a broader difference in emphasis on what to train and how to train.

My krav school was good in that nearly every student knew at least one other martial art, and they were always keen to experiment with ideas from other styles. That's the big difference compared to a traditional style, which rightly or wrongly, has one "correct" way of things that defines that particular school.

I'm not sure it's useful to try to delineate them as completely different things though, any more than the attempt to delineate between "internal" and "external" traditional arts. Different people will give different answers if you ask which one jiu jitsu is. They all contain the same elements to some degree or another. Purists who will tell you that their art is superior to others are mostly just idiots who've never trained or competed with anyone else.

I agree with you mate.

Banned
    Now you have mastered martial arts, grasshopper Geran, you may attend the next Manchester GTG where you can battle Sensei Fords in whisky drinking, Sensei Unclealec is sausage roll eating, and Sensei Burnsey66 in not turning up.
    Sensei Burnsey66 is there, he's just invisible.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone up to speed regarding gloves, from what I read 16oz appears to be the norm it will be light sparing bag and pad work, there are gloves you can use in the class but most folk seem to bring their own, I don't want spend a great deal of money on these, but pointless buying some cheap items that would do more harm than good, would these be ok.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxx-Maya-...97.m4902.l9144
    Last edited by geran; 29th July 2017 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Anyone up to speed regarding gloves, from what I read 16oz appears to be the norm it will be light sparing bag and pad work, there are gloves you can use in the class but most folk seem to bring their own, I don't want spend a great deal of money on these, but pointless buying some cheap items that would do more harm than good, would these be ok.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxx-Maya-...97.m4902.l9144
    Depends what it's for. For sparring those look about right. I'd have thought for Jiu Jitsu you'd be more likely looking at MMA-style gloves rather than boxing gloves, because you won't be able to do much grappling in boxing gloves. Boxing gloves are supposedly safer for light sparring though. 8-16oz was what we were recommended, and very heavy gloves were banned. You might want to double-check on the class safety rules wrt which types of gloves are allowed for the type of sparring you're doing.

One of the best things I bought when I was doing krav was a pair of gel knuckle pads. Basically ultra-light MMA gloves. They strongly prefer you not to wear gloves most of the time because it changes how you strike. Boxers have a tendency to break their wrists or knuckles if they ever get into a streetfight because they don't know how to punch correctly (surprisingly). Gloves change the technique a lot. These gel things just serve to stop your knuckles getting bloody if you're doing a lot of padwork, but are more like just wearing wraps (and less of a pain to get on/off). I would usually wear them during warmups etc., then take them off for the rest of the class; they can easily fit in a pocket. I'll see if I can find a link if that sounds useful, as you don't see them very often, but I found them much more useful than any type of gloves. Not for sparring though.
    Last edited by robt; 29th July 2017 at 10:25. Reason: grammar typo

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Depends what it's for. For sparring those look about right. I'd have thought for Jiu Jitsu you'd be more likely looking at MMA-style gloves rather than boxing gloves, because you won't be able to do much grappling in boxing gloves. Boxing gloves are supposedly safer for light sparring though. 8-16oz was what we were recommended, and very heavy gloves were banned. You might want to double-check on the class safety rules wrt which types of gloves are allowed for the type of sparring you're doing.

One of the best things I bought when I was doing krav was a pair of gel knuckle pads. Basically ultra-light MMA gloves. They strongly prefer you not to wear gloves most of the time because it changes how you strike. Boxers have a tendency to break their wrists or knuckles if they ever get into a streetfight because they don't know how to punch correctly (surprisingly). Gloves change the technique a lot. These gel things just serve to stop your knuckles getting bloody if you're doing a lot of padwork, but are more like just wearing wraps (and less of a pain to get on/off). I would usually wear them during warmups etc., then take them off for the rest of the class; they can easily fit in a pocket. I'll see if I can find a link if that sounds useful, as you don't see them very often, but I found them much more useful than any type of gloves. Not for sparring though.
    The gloves are more for the mixed style stand up MMA class, I'll take your advise and have a word with the instructorfor as to which are the most suitable type, thanks.

Master
    How is the training going?

IIRC Josh is black belt so we have resident expert..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Missed this thread.

I've been doing BJJ for around 7 years now, did Muay Thai for 9 years before that, overlapped training the 2 for a few years and had an amateur MMA fight in at one point. I don't bother training any stand up now, just focus purely on BJJ as I'm a bit short of time to focus on both.

I started out with traditional martial arts doing Shotokan Karate when i was in school before taking up Wing Chun Kung Fu when I was in my mid 20s. It was a few street scuffles where all I thought i knew was utterly useless that pushed me towards the blunt instrument that is muay thai. Now in my 40s I look at it all differently. Anything that gets you off the couch is good and all martial arts are flawed in some way so i just look at them as an interesting and fun way of getting some exercise.

Master
    I started out with traditional martial arts doing Shotokan Karate when i was in school before taking up Wing Chun Kung Fu when I was in my mid 20s.
    Opposite for me, Boxing, Judo, but mainly Wing Chun in my teens/early 20s, then a bit of Lau Gar kick boxing in mid 20s, later on more Wing Chun, past few years it's been Shotokan, leading me to do some instructing at 2 local clubs, thought I'd be taking it up just to keep fit but find I'm training 5 times a week now, can't get enough. The Wing Chun(and boxing) certainly helps with the sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Opposite for me, Boxing, Judo, but mainly Wing Chun in my teens/early 20s, then a bit of Lau Gar kick boxing in mid 20s, later on more Wing Chun, past few years it's been Shotokan, leading me to do some instructing at 2 local clubs, thought I'd be taking it up just to keep fit but find I'm training 5 times a week now, can't get enough. The Wing Chun(and boxing) certainly helps with the sparring.
    Hi Stuart
    Let me know where you train as I fancy stating something new after giving up a few years ago due to an injury.
    Dave

Master
    Hi Dave,
    PM sent, be glad to see you.

Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Missed this thread.

I've been doing BJJ for around 7 years now, did Muay Thai for 9 years before that, overlapped training the 2 for a few years and had an amateur MMA fight in at one point. I don't bother training any stand up now, just focus purely on BJJ as I'm a bit short of time to focus on both.

I started out with traditional martial arts doing Shotokan Karate when i was in school before taking up Wing Chun Kung Fu when I was in my mid 20s. It was a few street scuffles where all I thought i knew was utterly useless that pushed me towards the blunt instrument that is muay thai. Now in my 40s I look at it all differently. Anything that gets you off the couch is good and all martial arts are flawed in some way so i just look at them as an interesting and fun way of getting some exercise.
    thats a good mix of all sorts, I really like Muay Thai

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    How is the training going?
    I'm still training three times a week, only misssed two classes due to a holiday and still loving it, I picked up a knee injury about a month ago during one of the stand up classes, hasn't stopped me though just strap it up, just ordered some Devils Claw supposed to be good for aches and pains.

I have a one hour session tomorrow morning, bit of a break followed by a two hour seminar on leg locks with half an hour of grappling at the end, then back at it on Monday and Thursday.

There have been quite a few folk that have given it a go since I joined as the first session is free, but I can't think of any that have returned, it's obviously not for everyone but if it clicks it becomes addictive,
    The last time I checked I had lost just under a Stone and a half, not purely from training but eating a bit less and doing a few sessions a week on the turbo trainer.
    If anyone has have ever been on the fence about try Jui Jitsu or any other martial art give it a go, you might just discover a real passion for it.
    Last edited by geran; 4th November 2017 at 21:08.

I started about a year ago (something else I do as a result of listening to the Joe Rogan podcast) and was really enjoying it until I tore my left rotator cuff in a dodgy landing from a throw. It's taken ages to sort the shoulder out but it's good again now and I've restarted BJJ again, though I'm virtually back to starting from scratch again.

I'm trying a new club, one I didn't know about before, its closer to home and run by a very good guy who trained with the Gracies in Rio. One of the Gracies (Robin) is coming to do a seminar for us in 3 weeks which I'm really looking forward to!