closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle rack for the rear of the car.

Master

Bicycle rack for the rear of the car.

Did a quick search and the only thread I could see was for roof mounted racks and I don't want those.
    My kids both have bikes but rarely use them as they are quite young and I live on quite a steep hill so there is always the worry that they will end up going down the hill and losing control.
    There are a few cycle tracks within a few miles of our house so I'd like to start getting the kids out of the house and onto their bikes during the school holidays.
    I'm after a rack that will hold three bikes, is quite quick to fit and doesn't cost hundreds of £££
    Would appreciate any suggestions because I am clueless.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Cheap ones tend to be a nightmare to quickly install and get off again, so much so that most people tend to put them on and leave them on or just give up on them after the 1st on/off cycle. We use a Thule one and it takes around 1 min to get on and off and folds up when not in use and takes up v little space, but it is one of the really pricy ones. Thule do do cheaper ones and I've recommend starting by looking at them.

Do you have a tow bar?

I got a low cost tow bar fitment bike rack which is easy and works fine for a couple of bikes.

Craftsman
    Saris Bones.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Another vote if you have a tow bar. Super simple to attach and detach, throw it in the boot when you're out on the bikes, takes seconds.

Thule do a wide range. Very sturdy.

Master
    No tow bar unfortunately.

I ended up with the Thule Aero roof bars. I don't have a tow bar and unfortunately my car has a mini roof spoiler that might not be able to take the weight of three bikes. I couldn't find any brand that conclusively stated it was compatible with the car, with all kinds of disclaimers and warnings about said spoiler.

I would much prefer to have the bikes on the back but the Aero bars and Thule racks are easy to take on and off, and the bikes are solid enough once in place.

Recently bought a Thule Raceway. Seems fine, easy to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Holland is filled with these towbar racks. Every 'pensionado' has one of these with two electric bikes on the Kia/Hyundai/Toyota's towbar.
    Get on on eBay.nl or similar. Thule is a good one. Dutch magazines did some tests a few years back.
    I will try to find a few conclusions

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Saris Bones.
    I have one of these and love it. I wouldn't say it's quick, but it's certainly not difficult to install and remove.

Master
    I know it costs (which you did not want in the OP) but a tow bar and Thule rack works incredibly well. I look at the rack (can take 4 bikes) as 10-15 year 'investment' as I can easily see it being useable for at least that long. A real quality bit of kit that just works and makes transporting the family bikes hugely easier.

Yep, Saris Bones, great rack....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Another vote if you have a tow bar. Super simple to attach and detach, throw it in the boot when you're out on the bikes, takes seconds.
    Another vote here. I have roof bars and cycle carriers; they're great but I would have a tow bar mount if I had a tow bar. I had a tailgate mount one and it never felt that safe; I would not use one again.

I must be tired - I read the thread title as "wine rack for the rear of car" so clicked expecting something of interest.

I am not a cyclist, well I have a cycle but I only ride it to the pub so I don't need a car rack. Oh, and my cycle has a wine rack, so I thought one for the car might be useful.

Master
    Make sure that if the bikes obstruct the rear lights of the car then you have a light board (which of course requires wiring and a socket). Otherwise you will get pulled by the police.

Pete
    Last edited by ptcoll; 25th July 2017 at 21:15. Reason: Spelling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Make sure that if the bikes obstruct the rear lights of the car then you have a light board (which of course requires wiring and a socket). Otherwise you will get pulled by the police.

Pete
    Thanks for the heads up regarding that. Had no idea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post

Pete

Also check your insurance under "Modifications"

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Also check your insurance under "Modifications"

B
    Seriously?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Seriously?
    I informed mine when I went away with two bikes on the roof.

B

Master
    But surely it wouldn't come under the heading of modification?
    That seems a bit like informing the insurance company every time you hitch a trailer up, or put a roof rack on.

Craftsman
    +1 for Thule.
    I've had a tow bar mounted rack for years, it gets used every summer and is still solid. It's very well made and has it's own lights built in.
    If it's a long term thing for you and you are keeping the car consider a removable tow bar, it makes life far easier.

Master
    I use an Atera Strada DL3 tow bar mounted rack. It has a very effective tilting action.

Master
    Tow bar racks are not something I will be considering guys. My car doesn't have a tow bar and in 28 years of driving I've never needed one, so I won't be going to the expense of having a tow bar fitted just to use for a bike rack.

I've been looking for the perfect rack for years. Not had much luck though
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I've had a Hollywood one for years and it's great- sturdy and holds 3 adult bikes. I use it now for mine and my 2 sons' without any issue.

If you mount it high enough on the back of the car you don't need a number plate board and lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I've had a Hollywood one for years and it's great- sturdy and holds 3 adult bikes. I use it now for mine and my 2 sons' without any issue.

If you mount it high enough on the back of the car you don't need a number plate board and lights.
    Depends on the car.

It does... obviously I'd have thought. Hatch backs and people carriers I've managed it, saloons not.

Master
    be very careful of rear mounted carriers, the carrier itself or the bikes can cause significant paint damage. Roof bars can be awkward to get bikes on and off and the obvious height restriction. My eventual solution was to have a car big enough to get mu bike in the back of. It's unfortunate you have no tow bar as I've heard nothing but good things about carriers that use them.

Master
    I started off with a RhodeGear rear mounted on the boot, ok for 2 bikes but eventually got pulled for obscuring the brake lights. Then moved to Thule roof mounted which was great and for most occasions will easily do. I got a bit fed up of filthy bikes on the roof and the wind noise on long journeys, and so moved to a tow bar mounted Thule - by far the best and easiest yet.

Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Tow bar racks are not something I will be considering guys. My car doesn't have a tow bar and in 28 years of driving I've never needed one, so I won't be going to the expense of having a tow bar fitted just to use for a bike rack.
    What car do you have?

You might be surprised by how cheap a removable tow bar and electric socket is, especially if you fit it yourself.

You usually just need to remove the rear bumper cover, swap out the actual metal bumper for the one that mounts the tow bar and socket, and then plug the electrical kit into one of the rear lights. Most are plug and play.

I've used all sorts of bike carriers over the years, the rear mounted ones are the biggest pain to use IMHO. Roof mounted carriers are ok, but you have to put the roof bars on, obviously, or leave them on.

The tow bar racks are very easy to use, are secure, keep the mud off the car on your journey back, and a good long term solution if you're going to be doing it a lot.

If it's kids bikes though, I'd stick them in the boot. If you don't mind the hassle of taking the wheels off, that usually helps.

If it's for occasional use only, Summit are the budget end of the market.

Alternatively, Maypole (and others) do the 'lash-on' type for either booter or hatchback cars which are only c£40 0 but as said above, a bit of a faff to keep putting on and off. A tip though - if you do use a lash-on type, used some masking tape where the frame meets the bodywork to avoid chafing of the paint.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    What car do you have?

You might be surprised by how cheap a removable tow bar and electric socket is, especially if you fit it yourself.

You usually just need to remove the rear bumper cover, swap out the actual metal bumper for the one that mounts the tow bar and socket, and then plug the electrical kit into one of the rear lights. Most are plug and play.

I've used all sorts of bike carriers over the years, the rear mounted ones are the biggest pain to use IMHO. Roof mounted carriers are ok, but you have to put the roof bars on, obviously, or leave them on.

The tow bar racks are very easy to use, are secure, keep the mud off the car on your journey back, and a good long term solution if you're going to be doing it a lot.

If it's kids bikes though, I'd stick them in the boot. If you don't mind the hassle of taking the wheels off, that usually helps.
    The car is an E Class estate. It's got rear sensors and camera so I don't know how easy a solution fitting a tow bar would be. I imaging it could end up costing quite a few hundred pounds. It's not something that I would tackle myself that's for sure.
    Roof mounted bars are another to avoid for me because the car is a taxi and so I have to have a taxi hire light on he roof and I'm not allowed to obscure it, so any roofbars would have to come off every time too.

Don't know who makes this one , but seems to do the job.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Buenos Jaytip. Did you find what you are looking for?

Imo the Thule ClipOn High ticks many boxes. It clears the license plate and on most cars the rear lights too.
    I have the one with wheel rails. VERY sturdy and none too expensive.

Over here it is obligatory to fit a 60 x 60 cm. square red/white reflecting warning sign and since it needs be tied on DIY it adds real risk of dropping off.
    The carrier sticks out less than the spare wheel on my off road but that is business generating law making for you...

Journeyman
    Another plus for a tow bar rack.
    Really impressed with the Thule one
    Used ours for the first time last week for a trip to Holland and it was really easy to load/remove the bikes,
    Cleverly designed with a foot pedal that allows for the loaded rack to be tilted out of the way so the tailgate can be opened. Fully loaded with 4 bikes and it didn't feel like anything was attached to the car even at motorway speeds.

Last edited by Comet; 21st August 2017 at 13:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I have one of these and love it. I wouldn't say it's quick, but it's certainly not difficult to install and remove.
    I have the Saris Solo, and that literally takes seconds to fit, so I am surprised that you say the Saris Bones takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I have the Saris Solo, and that literally takes seconds to fit, so I am surprised that you say the Saris Bones takes time.
    It's all relevant to your definition of quick. I certainly can't get my bikes onto the car and ready to go on seconds. But I can get the rack and both bikes on in say 10-15 minutes.

Journeyman
    Not sure why my image didn't work so trying again

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Fully loaded with 4 bikes
    will be illegal for most cars as that easily exceeds the max. load on the hitch.

A carrier like that will weigh >15 kilos and 4 bikes rapidly 60 kilos which btw is probably the max. load of the carrier.

If telling the insurance is seen as necessary, than not exceeding the max. loads is even more so.

Blog Entries
    Max load capaciteit for a Macan S is 96kg, for a 'normal' Macan 80 kgs. A lot of SUV's have a high load capacity for the hitch (Honda CRV: 90 kg).

Having said that: I agree that 4 bikes + rack is too much for most cars - this config only works on SUVs

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    will be illegal for most cars as that easily exceeds the max. load on the hitch.

A carrier like that will weigh >15 kilos and 4 bikes rapidly 60 kilos which btw is probably the max. load of the carrier.

If telling the insurance is seen as necessary, than not exceeding the max. loads is even more so.
    Depends very much on the bikes. Combined weight of our bikes is less than 50kg. Can't remember the exact weight of the rack now but I worked it out at the time and it was within the limits for our hitch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Max load capaciteit for a Macan S is 96kg, for a 'normal' Macan 80 kgs. A lot of SUV's have a high load capacity for the hitch (Honda CRV: 90 kg).

Having said that: I agree that 4 bikes + rack is too much for most cars - this config only works on SUVs
    Interesting
    I guess you mean the 2.0L by normal Macan. 80kg is, from memory, what I worked ours out on. Would be interested to know why the S would have a different rating to the GTS. Will check the specs again as we may have higher load capacity than I thought.

Banned
    Blog Entries

and even then only with a sturdy hitch to match. It is about both the construction of the hitch and the rear suspension of the car.
    So readers beware. Do look it up in the specs. and do weigh the bikes; most specced weights are without pedals/options, for the smallest frame and then optimistic

Personally I don´t like the tow bar things because the load center is behind the ball, putting a torque load on the hitch. The more bikes the less I like them therefore as the load gets a longer arm.

This is why I like the ClipOn type way better. On most hatchbacks, the angle of the hatch puts the bikes nicely forwards.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 21st August 2017 at 15:16.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 21st August 2017 at 15:33.

Blog Entries
    http://www.porsche.com/netherlands/n...nsport/towbar/

The word here is 'kogeldruk': the pressure you can apply on the towbar/hitch

Journeyman
    http://www.porsche.com/netherlands/n...nsport/towbar/

Thank you,

Just found it on the GB site

http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/...orm&country=gb

Looks like the GTS is 96kg too

Banned
    Blog Entries

Which is an incorrect word btw. as it is ´kracht´ not ´druk´; force, not pressure. It is however clear what is meant.

Now we are about legal limits, it is also often omitted to look how much the bikes stick out. With none too wide cars, it may very well be that the front wheel needs to be removed to stay within legal bounds.

Craftsman
    This is a novel approach, but when I looked at the price it seemed expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    This is a novel approach, but when I looked at the price it seemed expensive.
    It's a nice idea, and having watched plenty of episodes of Grand Designs I see that suction cups are a secure method for lifting huge pieces of expensive glass. But I still don't trust them.

I had a TomTom sat nav that would unstick from the windscreen a few minutes into a journey, and once tried a basket for holding shower gel which attached to the glass with two suction cups – that didn't hold either.

Best bike rack I've used is the old fashioned thing that hangs off the boot lid. They don't allow access to the boot with bikes on, but they're cheap, quick to fit and easy to store.