closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PP/AP dilemma

PP/AP dilemma

On a bit of an AP one at the moment have just picked up the Ti 44 ROO and I'm waiting on a Royal Oak (available elsewhere but not at the price I can get but they are quoting late this early next year)

Well i've just had the call on a PP 5167 that has arrived, I turned one down last year just after the price rise as I wasn't in a position to buy, thing is now after the splurge on the ROO I can only one either RO or the Aquanaut.

My thinking is if I pick up the 5167 now pre price rise I could keep it until the RO comes in and sell either one without any real loss.

Master
    Would be the AP for me if I was faced with such a horrible dilemma

I would go for the 5167. I'm still waiting for mine. See how you feel, and then decide later. Who knows anything could happen, and maybe you could keep both?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    AP for me but take the 5167 and see how it goes. As you mention you will not loose much if anything by buying now.

Banned
    I'd go for the Patek and revisit the topic later. You may end up flogging the Roo!

Onward sale is a done deal, but you'll enjoy something whilst waiting for the AP.

Thanks guys, Just thinking with the 5167 it's at full retail of £13,750 then with the 5% price rise I guess I could sell for what I paid minus a strap.

Is that about right?

Master
    AP all the way BUT it seems you can have the best of both worlds - get the PP so you can get that out of your system (or maybe discover it's a keeper) and the sell without a loss in a year when your AP arrives.

Sounds ideal - this sort of timing doesn't happen often!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Thanks guys, Just thinking with the 5167 it's at full retail of £13,750 then with the 5% price rise I guess I could sell for what I paid minus a strap.

Is that about right?
    Assuming you keep the bezel pretty scratch free +/- a few hundred £ I think you would be in the right ball park for a private sale. Maybe a little bit less for a dealer but not a bad price to try it out for a year.

Buy the PP. Even if you don't want to keep it you will probably get more than RRP from the likes of WF. At RRP it is a no brainer. Buy now, make a decision later.

Craftsman
    5167 is worth quite a lot if you manage to not scratch it

What Royal Oak are you referring to?

If it is the Royal Oak Jumbo 15202, I'll get it first..otherwise, get the Aquanaut. JMHO

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Assuming you keep the bezel pretty scratch free +/- a few hundred £ I think you would be in the right ball park for a private sale. Maybe a little bit less for a dealer but not a bad price to try it out for a year.
    ^ this.

i made a small loss on mine when i sold it on due to bezel wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
    What Royal Oak are you referring to?

If it is the Royal Oak Jumbo 15202, I'll get it first..otherwise, get the Aquanaut. JMHO

+1 Agreed!

I'm waiting to get the RO 15400 (black) and ROC 26331 (black) together before picking one.

Not a fan of the 15202 and against the norm I'm not a fan of the AP or PP blue dials.

I have both the 15400 (black dial) and the 5167 so have no particular bias.
    From a resale perspective the 5167 is better and as others have mentioned you should be able to sell at a profit if you want to immediately flip it.
    Both watches are equally easy to mark on the bezel and even the lightest scuff or scratch will show due to the way the watches are finished. The size of the 15400 means that it is easier to catch on things.
    From a practical perspective, the 5167 is more versatile and is very good as a general use watch which can do casual, dressed up, swimming, snorkelling etc. I have just spent the last 3 weeks wearing mine on an extended trip to French Polynesia, Hawaii and the US and it was ideal. It does not stand out as much as the 15400 which is more obvious.
    The tropical strap works very well and is very comfortable.
    The only other perspective which might be relevant in your case, is I seem to remember from photos you have posted that you have quite large wrists. Perhaps the 5167 might look a little small on your wrists and the 15400 being that much bigger would be more suitable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    From a practical perspective, the 5167 is more versatile and is very good as a general use watch which can do casual, dressed up, swimming, snorkelling etc. I have just spent the last 3 weeks wearing mine on an extended trip to French Polynesia, Hawaii and the US and it was ideal.
    Main reason I want a Aquanaut :)

Master
    Live for today and get the PP.

Tomorrow (so to speak) you can reassess your situation and make any decisions as and when relevant, all in the knowledge that you can't really lose out (much if any). The price rise Sep 1st can only help things.

Well about time I tried a PP and with my next AP a while off I can hopefully recoup the the funds and have a near perfect collection.

I'm waiting to get the RO 15400 (black) and ROC 26331 (black) together before picking one.

Not a fan of the 15202 and against the norm I'm not a fan of the AP or PP blue dials.
    If that's the case I'll pick up the Aquanaut sir. You won't regret it.

Craftsman
    15202 amazing watch but sensitive movement

Craftsman
    As many others have said, get the PP. You can easily resell later on if you need to.

Yep getting the PP :)

If I don't I'll regret it as the price rise is imminent.

Craftsman
    Yep getting the PP :)

If I don't I'll regret it as the price rise is imminent.
    5% is peanuts

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    5% is peanuts
    Peanuts to some maybe, a new watch to others. All about perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    5% is peanuts
    You are kidding right?

Craftsman
    You are kidding right?
    5 per cent. of an imaginary 5711r doesn't amount to much

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    5 per cent. of an imaginary 5711r doesn't amount to much
    Haha wiener