timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Palmer Sport track day

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Palmer Sport track day

Off to one on Monday, anyone had a go?

Master
    Yes epic day. Ironically the most fun I had was in the cheapest car, a Caterham

Have a great day. You'll probably end up faster than the lemon called Jolyon driving the current F1 Renault (hopefully for not much longer)

The best track day out there, I'm sure you'll have fun.

Blog Entries
    One of the guys in our office before I retired went on one. He had a great breakfast there and ended up being sick after a few laps!
    Others including some ladies had great times so more likely to be good I think.

I've always wanted to go but I doubt any of my mates would cough up that much for a day out. I've done a 'supercar experience' day at Thruxton where I drove three cars and thoroughly enjoyed that so I would imagine that a Palmersport day is off the scale. One for the bucket list me thinks....

I'm lucky enough to have been taken for the past 6 years running. As said above it's pretty much the best experience day where you're encouraged to drive fast.

Master
    Treated myself for my 40th birthday, and loved every minute of it. Great selection of cars to drive and you are encouraged to drive as fast as you like, they have plenty of grass run off so you can hammer down.
    I've not done it since, as it is a lot of money for one day but I'd highly recommend any petrol head do this at least one. Also great hospitality, food and facilities you'll have a great day.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not jealous at all Graham

Anyone want to mention the unmentionable (even on PS' website)?

What's a day out cost these days?

I believe it was up around £1000 when I tried to persuade my former employer to arrange a team day there 5 or so years ago - Without success

M

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Anyone want to mention the unmentionable (even on PS' website)?

What's a day out cost these days?

I believe it was up around £1000 when I tried to persuade my former employer to arrange a team day there 5 or so years ago - Without success

M
    Still around the same, looked this morning.

That's a fair point, and I have had a lot of fun in the past driving my TVR on club track days at Brands etc. for much less.

But the range of cars, the huge tarmac run off areas, the instructors and the hospitality make Palmer something special IMHO. I've done 3 in total including a pro-am charity event. I think even the professionals found it fun.

I think it is now well over £1000 for a full day - all mine were corporate. Just put off servicing your Patek for another year ;).

Had a day at Bedford Autodrome back in the early eighties in my old 911.

I was out on the track at the same time as the two seater F1 car..

Absolutely amazing difference between a fast road car and a "real" racing car. Especially the braking distances.

The other thing i noticed was when it over took you the amount of debris/grit dust that was thrown into the air behind it.
    I could still hear it hitting the roof of my car after the F1 car had long gone..

A few of my mates are instructors there plus it's on my doorstep yet I'm still to go :(

Have fun mate

Done 3. Fantastic.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I'm not jealous at all Graham
    thanks Ben, it's going to be awesome I can tell... I'm just trying to avoid my kids giving me a cold before Monday!

And to settle an argument, I'm getting change from £907.

Did it in 2011, had a superb day. The 2 seater le mans jaguar was probably my favourite, not sure if that's still part of their lineup. Also enjoyed the caterham hugely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did a corporate one four years ago, fantastic day out.
    The highlight for me was the jaguar Le Mans two seaters, perfect instructor urging me to go faster.
    Ariel atom was a real hoot, so quick and easy to keep on the edge.
    M3 was an eye opener, brakes so strong. Single seater was a challenge as I'm a big lad, found it very claustrophobic so they left the cowling off, brilliant fun but you got to drive them fast to get any grip from the wings.
    Cost the company dearly as I think there was about 80 of us there for the whole day.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this a few times, really should just go for it at some point as everyone says it's it's a brilliant day of driving.

Great fun, and cant really be compared with a normal track day... for a start you need your own car for a normal track day.

My most recent one was last year with, from memory...

BMW M4 Race Cars on Slicks, great fun for experienced people, less so for newbies
    Caterhams (track) - good fun if you are normal sized, fat gits like me don't fit so well
    Ariel Atoms with Paddle Shift - probably my favorite, faster than a 7, more balanced, but of course less edgy
    F3000 - Always fun for anyone with slicks/wings experience as you tend to be a lot faster than those who are new to it.
    LMP (Actually a two seater F3000) - See above
    Caterham time trial - good fun as it does separate the guys who have used plenty of opposite lock before
    Land Rover - Interesting but a bit sedate compared to the other bits.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Best driving experience ever. The finish in a single seater f3 will stay with you forever.

Ariel Atom was my fav.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Went to Bedford Autodrome on Tuesday, courtesy of Honda to test drive the new Civic Type R. A hot lap being driven by one of the professional drivers was followed by driving the Type R under instruction. I also had the chance to drive my own Type R (an FK2) but with some regret now, I decided not to (it was noticeable that all the drivers taking this chance (mainly FK2 owners but 1 Nissan GTR owner) looked the right side of 30, with all us 'old uns' choosing the cautious option!)

I can echo all the comments about what a great set up Palmer Sport have there. And what an experience - the first time I have been driven on a racing circuit by a pro - I had no idea you could brake so late or corner so fast in a Civic - and the first time I have been encouraged to drive as fast as I dare (my words, not theirs). I found it a bit daunting at first but then very exciting. Now I want more!

The icing on the cake was that they had also invited 4 customers to try the new NSX. Sadly (!) one did not turn up and I nabbed his seat - although only for the fast lap with the pro. My first ride in a supercar and what an experience. The launch control meant it was the first time I have experienced motorbike-like acceleration in a car and although the driver - Adriano Medeiros - was only driving at '70%' it still felt very fast. He barely opened the throttle on the straight until about half way down when he floored it in order to hit the braking zone at a precisely judged 150mph. I wore the grin all the way home.

Thank you Honda!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Went to Bedford Autodrome on Tuesday, courtesy of Honda to test drive the new Civic Type R. A hot lap being driven by one of the professional drivers was followed by driving the Type R under instruction. I also had the chance to drive my own Type R (an FK2) but with some regret now, I decided not to (it was noticeable that all the drivers taking this chance (mainly FK2 owners but 1 Nissan GTR owner) looked the right side of 30, with all us 'old uns' choosing the cautious option!)

I can echo all the comments about what a great set up Palmer Sport have there. And what an experience - the first time I have been driven on a racing circuit by a pro - I had no idea you could brake so late or corner so fast in a Civic - and the first time I have been encouraged to drive as fast as I dare (my words, not theirs). I found it a bit daunting at first but then very exciting. Now I want more!

The icing on the cake was that they had also invited 4 customers to try the new NSX. Sadly (!) one did not turn up and I nabbed his seat - although only for the fast lap with the pro. My first ride in a supercar and what an experience. The launch control meant it was the first time I have experienced motorbike-like acceleration in a car and although the driver - Adriano Medeiros - was only driving at '70%' it still felt very fast. He barely opened the throttle on the straight until about half way down when he floored it in order to hit the braking zone at a precisely judged 150mph. I wore the grin all the way home.

Thank you Honda!

The new NSX is a technological masterpiece but I fear it's going to be another sales flop for them. Sad really because both this and the original NSX were/are a bit special.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    The new NSX is a technological masterpiece but I fear it's going to be another sales flop for them. Sad really because both this and the original NSX were/are a bit special.
    Sadly you might be right - one of the potential buyers was especially worried about residuals on the NSX, citing the number that are for sale secondhand already. Mind you he also blagged a test of the Type R and couldn't believe how good they are. He would have had one on the spot had his partner been willing to drive a manual. Hopefully the Type R will prove a sales hit for them.

Done it 5-6 times, the last was last year with the Atoms and M4. Previously they have had Lotus Exiges, S2000, Audi TT and even VX220's.

Utterly brilliant, but just when you are starting to get good it's over. Perhaps the best bit is that the instructors tell you to "drive it like you stole it" and will encourage you to brake later and later. If you dont don't spin at least twice you are not trying hard enough.

Price for me last year was about £950 (according to the wife).

As an aside I was told that all these cars have been converted to LPG.

One suggestion - wears trainers that are at least 2 sizes to small

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Utterly brilliant, but just when you are starting to get good it's over. Perhaps the best bit is that the instructors tell you to "drive it like you stole it" and will encourage you to brake later and later. If you dont don't spin at least twice you are not trying hard enough.
    The words I remember at the end of the straight were "BRAKE HARD NOW"

I few years a go I went for a track day and drove an Aston Martin which DB9 which was a blast. However when I was there I also got the opportunity to be taken as a passenger on a couple of laps in a Caterham, which I would highly recommend if you get the chance!