closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Lynch- Twin peaks

David Lynch- Twin peaks

I like most David lynch stuff but never watched twin peaks!

I'm thinking of watching the 2017 series or should I watch the 90s original first or doesn't it matter what order they're watched?

Start with the original alex

One you've done that then you can watch mulholland drive for a real headfeck
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I can safely say, that if you don't watch the original, then the 2017 series will be completely baffling. To be fair, it's pretty baffling if you have seen the original.

First series started semi-normal and slowly got even more surreal over season two. I like some of Lynch's work but when I got to the end of the 22 episodes in season 2, I felt like I'd wasted a great deal of time with very little reward.

I've got S3 saved on the Sky HD and started watching episode one, I'm not convinced it is going to be a lot better than S2 but will give it a go. Some of his work like Wild at Heart is weird enough to be interesting but still enjoyable; however, Twin Peaks started well but then just felt like he was trying too hard to be weird and bizarre.

Alex, as has been said, without watching S1 & 2, S3 is going to feel like a total mess.

Understood! Starting episode 1 series 1 now 👍

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post

I've got S3 saved on the Sky HD and started watching episode one, I'm not convinced it is going to be a lot better than S2 but will give it a go. Some of his work like Wild at Heart is weird enough to be interesting but still enjoyable; however, Twin Peaks started well but then just felt like he was trying too hard to be weird and bizarre.
    I know what you're saying.
    I'm on episode 6 now, and to be honest, I'm beginning to think that the emperor may not be wearing any clothes. There's a difference between being a bit weird, and just being weird for the sake of it. I think Lynch normally skirts the right side of the line, but he's possibly been given a bit too much freedom here.

I really enjoyed the original as I did Blue Velvet but it was the weirdness that made them enjoyable. I found the new series to be like a parody (of a parody) of the Fast Show in parts and expected Paul Whitehouse to appear. I gave up after 3 episodes.

Hello

The book was good as was the The Original Series. Had to stop watching the new series ep 1 about 20 mins in. A bit too out there.

Might revisit it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Understood! Starting episode 1 series 1 now 
    Watched s1e1 tonight
    Theres more dramatic tension in the first twenty minutes of that than there is in the first five seasons of game of thrones

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Watched s1e1 tonight
    Theres more dramatic tension in the first twenty minutes of that than there is in the first five seasons of game of thrones
    Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I think it will take shape once you get to know the characters. I'm guessing it's like a who dunnit crime mystery?

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I think it will take shape once you get to know the characters. I'm guessing it's like a who dunnit crime mystery?
    Mate. It's like sherlock Holmes on ayahuasca

Mate. It's like sherlock Holmes on ayahuasca

😂😂😂 it is a bit weird mind! But that's one of the reasons I like blue velvet for its weirdness!

Grand Master
    Hoping it starts making sense, i love most of his stuff, watched Blue Velvet again not that long ago and it was just so weird and wonderful, how Dennis Hopper never got the oscar for that performance i'll never know!

Mulholland Drive is one of my favourites though, as it made sense in a lot of ways without having to watch it or run to the internet, a good cast as well considering it was meant to be a pilot for a TV series!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post

Mulholland Drive is one of my favourites though, as it made sense in a lot of ways
    Thankyou sir, for making me feel normal. Regards. Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Season 3 is totally diff. Its frustrating to watch (progress wise) in a strange Lynch fashion but it keeps you wanting to watch the next one!!

One episode showed a guy sweeping the floor for 5 mins - crazy stuff lol

I'm guessing it's like a who dunnit crime mystery?
    More of a whatthehellisit. The central plot is very slow to be revealed, with a lot of apparently unrelated weirdness - unless they’re gong to bring together the various strands of weirdness (but I wouldn’t bet on it).

Master
    Season 3 is amazing in my opinion. Posdinky the most impressive tv series I've seen. Its by turns , funny , sweet and terrifying. Some of the stuff is just so damn weird its incredibly unsettling. Its a lot stronger than the original 2 series in terms of violence and language. So be careful.

Craftsman
    Start with the original alex

One you've done that then you can watch mulholland drive for a real headfeck
    Totally agree with this.

I'm loving Twin Peaks series 3. One thing I really enjoy about Lynch's work is that I can just let myself go and take it in without looking for anything specific. It has the qualities of Surrealism and I love that!

I've always been a fan and saw Eraserhead in the cinema when it came out. I think that Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive and The Straight Story are amazing works of cinema.

Has anyone watched his other TV shows, Rabbits and On The Air? Both are really out there and screw with your mind in a really good way...
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 1st August 2017 at 06:50.

Another TP series 3 lover here.

It's just soooo weird.

Loved all his stuff with possibly the exception of Inland Empire which was too mad even for me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Lost highway. Ffs. It's a bit like watching the tweenies on ketamine

Anyone remember his weather reports that he used to broadcast for no real reason.

Whilst I enjoyed watching the original series years ago I almost lost the will to live a few episodes into the new one. Complete rubbish and I gave up in the end.

Lost highway. Ffs. It's a bit like watching the tweenies on ketamine
    "I'm in your house".

Love that film.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    "I'm in your house".

Love that film.
    No Neil. I'm in your house. Watch the film.

No Neil. I'm in your house. Watch the film.
    Seen the film a few times.

"I'm at your house."

Cheers,
    Neil.

Seen the film a few times.

"I'm at your house."

Creepy as that scene!

^^^

If you haven't seen it Al, have a look.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Creepy as that scene!
    No worse than any of the Tz GTG I've been to

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Lost Highway is one of my fave soundtracks / albums. Superb!!!!!

Master
    For me Twin Peaks is absolutely fantastic. I love the weirdness and sometimes apparent lack of any structure.

For those who stopped watching S3 before the latest couple of episodes you've missed the start of an explanation to what is going on and I really like where it's going.

Alex, stick with it mate. It's not always easy viewing but the rewards are coming.

Rewatching the peaks at the moment, s1/s2 and it has worn seriously well for its age. in comparison game of thrones has about as much dramatic intensity as flicking through an old freemans catalogue in the waiting room at the dentists.

Rewatching the peaks at the moment, s1/s2 and it has worn seriously well for its age. in comparison game of thrones has about as much dramatic intensity as flicking through an old freemans catalogue in the waiting room at the dentists.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    For me Twin Peaks is absolutely fantastic. I love the weirdness and sometimes apparent lack of any structure.

For those who stopped watching S3 before the latest couple of episodes you've missed the start of an explanation to what is going on and I really like where it's going.

Alex, stick with it mate. It's not always easy viewing but the rewards are coming.
    Episode 8 had my jaw on the floor. I can't even comprehend the thought processes in the mind that came up with that. Terrifying and beautiful and profoundly evil. Like the worst nightmate fever dream you've ever had.

Nice to see Rebekah Del Rio back. I've started to look forwards to the mystery guest musical playout at the end of each episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Episode 8 had my jaw on the floor.
    +1. Episode 8 was pure, dark genius!

Grand Master
    Every time i think i'm getting it, there is stuff happening that just doesn't seem to join the dots, i think this thing will either have a seriously good ending, or leave us a bit perplexed!

Anyone seen Episode 11, what is car scene about, spoiler below so don't click if you've not seen it!

In ten years time, game of thrones is going to look dated, but the original twin peaks will still look ahead of its time.

Master
    I've turned people on to the original series and they are amazed its 27 years old.

In ten years time, game of thrones is going to look dated, but the original twin peaks will still look ahead of its time.
    I think a lot of Lynch's stuff has a retro, Americana look to it, so it's not "of its time", and therefore ages very well.

Even Dune (which I love as well) has an interesting timeless and low-tech look to it. I know this is partly Frank Herbert's post-tech world, but it's a very good fit for Lynch. Very underrated movie imo. (Although I guess it's firmly a cult favourite now).

Episode 8 though, WTF?

Master
    There are a lot of things Lynch regrets about Dune and he doesn't rate it himself. Saw an interesting interview the other day with him talking about it. I personally love the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    There are a lot of things Lynch regrets about Dune and he doesn't rate it himself. Saw an interesting interview the other day with him talking about it. I personally love the movie
    I think he seems to beat himself up over Dune, and how it didn't match his vision, particularly when the critics savaged it at the time. Admittedly, there are a few shakey effects which time has not been kind to, but the sets and costumes are gorgeous. It looks better than a lot of sci-fi from that era, and if you've read the book, pretty much makes sense. I've not seen the extended cut, but I hear the picture quality of the restored stuff is quite poor, and apparently it wasn't done by Lynch anyway.

Master
    Extended cut of Dune is a mess. Very amateutish and tedious. Stick with the one Lynch put his name on.

I saw it before I'd read the book and I was surprised by how avant-garde it was but its got an dark hard edge to it unlike most mainstream scifi movies.

The world building is novel and it does feel like a journey is happening. The art direction is great as is most of the cinemstography.

When I read the book I was surprised how faithful the film was. Sure it takes some shortcuts but everything is in there pretty much.

Journeyman
    Definitely watch the first two seasons first, and don't forget Fire Walk with Me, the film that is set after S2. I wish I'd re-watched them before starting on S3, I'm sure I'm missing all sorts of references.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

When I read the book I was surprised how faithful the film was. Sure it takes some shortcuts but everything is in there pretty much.
    Thats what I thought as well. I read the book after seeing the film, and i think Lynch nailed a lot of it. The huge difference with the book is the appendices, which include a massive amount of info needed to understand the backstory and Dune universe - there's no way they could even hope to convey that in a film intro.

Grand Master
    RIP

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only 3 episodes remain correct???

Anybody feel that Cooper (Dougie) will not snap out of things?? Despite him electrocuting himself in the last episode it feels a bit too obvious for Lynch??

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    RIP

Yes indeed.

There have sadly been a few deaths since the latest series began.

Aside from the log lady (Catherine E Coulson), we have seen the passing of Miguel Ferrer (Albert Rosenfield) at the early age of 61 and of course David Bowie.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Yes indeed.

There have sadly been a few deaths since the latest series began.

Aside from the log lady (Catherine E Coulson), we have seen the passing of Miguel Ferrer (Albert Rosenfield) at the early age of 61 and of course David Bowie.

Can't believe she died two years ago, yet they still had the idea to tape these scenes well before the main filming began, it was a lovely thing to watch, Coulson and Lynch were good friends, it must have been hard for both filming these scenes.

As for Ferrer, i couldn't believe it when i read it the other week, you see him in other stuff all the time and just think he's still working away.

Master
    Spoiler alert. Don't read if you haven't seen the latest eposode

Just watched episode 16 of the latest season and I came to a realisation. I was on the brink of giving up as I was starting to find Lynch's weirdness was seeming like it was just for the sake of it and it was starting to grate.

Then agent Cooper, the actual agent Cooper finally awakens and a smile came across my face. I realised that it's his character that holds all the weirdness together and brings some light hearted relief. Without that, for me the series has been lacking a depth and breadth that only his character brings. It's good to see him back and I'm looking forward to the last couple of episodes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. My only fear is they left "Coopers" return a bit too late