closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oysterclasp, Oysterlock, Easylink, Glidelock ....

Oysterclasp, Oysterlock, Easylink, Glidelock ....

Shockingly, the watch forums of the world do not have a single thread entitled Oysterclasp vs Oysterlock. At least, not on the first three pages of the Google search results. I went through as many models as I could bring myself to, to bring you this list

Crownclasp
    * Day-Date

Oysterclasp
    * Oyster Perpetual

Oysterclasp + Easylink
    * Airking
    * DJ
    * Milgauss
    * Skydweller

Oysterlock + Easylink
    * Daytona
    * Explorer
    * GMT Master
    * Yachtmaster (II)

Oysterlock + Glidelock
    * Sub

Oysterlock + Glidelock + Fliplock
    * Sea-Dweller

I found it interesting that the Daytona has the Oysterlock, and so continues to be bracketed with the Explorer etc, not with the less sporty DJ etc.

I had been curious to learn how different the Oysterlock and the Oysterclasp feel during normal day to day wear eg does the Oysterlock have a greater sense of bulk, say? Has anyone ever felt of the Oysterclasp on their DJ, oh I wish this were an Oysterlock?

I have examples of each type other than the Crownclasp (which is also found on the current steel and two-tone Jubliee bracelets, other than the DJ 41's version). They're all perfectly fit for purpose on the watches to which they're affixed, and they're all excellent.

The simplest Oysterclasp version is possibly my favourite; it's slim, refined, less scuff-prone, and produces a fantastically-precise "click" upon closure. At the other end of the complexity spectrum, the Deepsea's unique variation of the Glidelock, which uncharacteristically lacks its own fancy name for some reason, is a mechanical masterpiece in both fit and feel:

For me, they're all about the same for wearing, as the deployant blades which actually contact the wrist are identical. Aside from relatively minor differences in weight and bulk that I don't find apparent in use, about the only noticeable variation is that some have a bead-blasted satin finish, while others are polished. The satin is a bit nicer in hot weather since it's less, y'know... clingy.

Found this in a bin somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Merv
    I prefer the oysterlock. Not very keen on the oysterclasp. The lock doesn't feel bulkier because it's still flush with the rest of the clasp.
    Clasp is formal, lock has a tendency to be associated with "professional models. Presumably because they get slung about more.

Master
    I found the Oysterlock and Oysterclasp pretty much the same and certainly wear the same. The Oysterlock just has the added security of the, well, the lock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Shockingly, the watch forums of the world do not have a single thread entitled Oysterclasp vs Oysterlock. At least, not on the first three pages of the Google search results. I went through as many models as I could bring myself to, to bring you this list

Crownclasp
    * Day-Date
    * DJ on Jubilee

Oysterclasp
    * Oyster Perpetual

Oysterclasp + Easylink
    * Airking
    * DJ
    * Milgauss
    * Skydweller

Oysterlock + Easylink
    * Daytona