closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Space saver my ar*e

Blog Entries

Space saver my ar*e

Just had my car back from a service, the garage fitted my space saver tyre on the rear as they found a small bulge on the side wall so though it was better to fit the space saver, however the full size tyre and wheel taken off fit perfectly in the wheel well in the rear boot, so space saver my arse!!!, if they have room for a full size wheel and tyre fit one!!!!!!!! it should be called a cost saver!!! how much did VW save by fitting cost saver tyres to their cars and calling them space savers? I can understand the need for a genuine space saver on high performance cars where the tyres could be 285s and above but not a family car GRRRR. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Just had my car back from a service, the garage fitted my space saver tyre on the rear as they found a small bulge on the side wall so though it was better to fit the space saver, however the full size tyre and wheel taken off fit perfectly in the wheel well in the rear boot, so space saver my arse!!!, if they have room for a full size wheel and tyre fit one!!!!!!!! it should be called a cost saver!!! how much did VW save by fitting cost saver tyres to their cars and calling them space savers? I can understand the need for a genuine space saver on high performance cars where the tyres could be 285s and above but not a family car GRRRR. Rant over.
    I think you pay extra for a space saver?

I don't think you can complain, it did exactly what it should. It saved the space until you realised a normal wheel would fit in.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    They're probably a fair bit lighter for some cars too.. Saving weight over a few years is bound to save at least a quid in fuel!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Not all cars come with a spare at all these days. Just a can to inflate and seal. I had to pay extra £150 for a spare steel wheel and tyre and a jack!

Craftsman
    Part of the reason for the space saver is that it helps with the emission test due to the lighter weight.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Part of the reason for the space saver is that it helps with the emission test due to the lighter weight.
    Absolutely correct - that is why some options aren't available with some models as it would take the weight above a certain threshold. The fact that car manufacturers end up making a nice bob out of people forking out for wheels later should also not go amiss!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Absolutely correct - that is why some options aren't available with some models as it would take the weight above a certain threshold. The fact that car manufacturers end up making a nice bob out of people forking out for wheels later should also not go amiss!
    Ah I was on the right track! Makes perfect sense.

Master
    At least it's not a can of gunk and and a compressor that Continental call a comfort kit! Not much comfort when you have a blow out on the M3

A spare tyre?
    That's a luxury.
    No spare supplied with mine.
    No tyre sealant or compressor.
    Just stupidly expensive run-flats that must be replaced at the slightest sign of a puncture.

Master
    Just buy a proper wheel if you want one. Rant over :)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    A spare tyre?
    That's a luxury.
    No spare supplied with mine.
    No tyre sealant or compressor.
    Just stupidly expensive run-flats that must be replaced at the slightest sign of a puncture.
    And a very hard ride on run-flats too no? My friend had some on his car and said he felt a noticeable difference when he switched to non run-flats after a few years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Space savers are rubbish. Space Masters are awesome!

https://youtu.be/IZeMN59hvEQ

Although, I've had a couple of customers fit them then drive down to me without pumping them up first.

My last brand new car came without a spare wheel of any form - just a pump and a can of goo.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    My last brand new car came without a spare wheel of any form - just a pump and a can of goo.
    Same thing happened to a mate in work. Bought an alloy with a tyre on eBay for not much more than the cost of a new can of goo. I quite liked the idea of the goo until I realised that slow punctures can make it to the garage with a bit of pumping up and big punctures are often beyond help, so chance of using the goo is slim....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    And a very hard ride on run-flats too no? My friend had some on his car and said he felt a noticeable difference when he switched to non run-flats after a few years.
    Used to be the case but the newer generation run-flats are pretty good. Both our cars have them.

Master
    I hear lots of stories how tyre shops won't touch a wheel/tyre that's been 'slimed'. Something to do with it spilling all over the shop/tools/persons when removing the old tyre. Not certain how true that is but, after getting gunk spray on me when trying to fill a tyre, I can well believe it - horrible stuff and still trying to get it off the driveway a year later after using it on a wheelbarrows tyre!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    They have to support the car without the cushion of air pressure. So the sidewall has to support the weight of the car, so would have to be very stiff.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Space savers are rubbish. Space Masters are awesome!

https://youtu.be/IZeMN59hvEQ

Although, I've had a couple of customers fit them then drive down to me without pumping them up first.
    Reckon that may need a few of my road bikes CO2 cartridges :)

Blog Entries
    At least you got a spare and a place in the boot for it my Wife's MB CLA has neither a spare nor the space for one just a pump and the dreaded "gunge" which ruins the tyre and is no use if the tyre gets anything other than a straightforward puncture
    I asked MB how much for a spacesaver
    £140.00 tyre
    £110.00 bag well it does have AMG on it
    £60.00 jack all plus VAT
    Got the equivalent for £ 140.00 complete but no AMG on the bag

Had a spacemaster on an earlier MB and it was fine.

Master
    This is shrinkflation I reckon - when I bought the wife's last shopping trolley - I lost it totally with Toyota because there was no space saver just a tub of goo - Escalated to UK director - they supplied a space saver FOC. It was a bit of hassle though and after 20 odd years of buying Toyotas et al................... the latest shopping trolley is a Mazda3. The manufacturer still wanted extra cash for a space saver - I refused. Standoff.

They paid half in the end. If they want brand loyalty they should not (shaft) do this to customers

Soon they will provide a car with three wheels to meet emission and fuel consumption targets then get you to pay for the fourth.

You can't use the goo on a sidewall flat and any tyre dealer will refuse to mushroom a flat that has been gooed.

I would love to get the little sh**s in marketing that thought of this ruse and put them on a trans pennine route in January at night - give them a flat tyre and then say "here it is a tub of goo - go fix your flat!"

:-)
    Last edited by Brian; 25th July 2017 at 10:46.

Quote Originally Posted by raoulduke333 View Post
    Same thing happened to a mate in work. Bought an alloy with a tyre on eBay for not much more than the cost of a new can of goo. I quite liked the idea of the goo until I realised that slow punctures can make it to the garage with a bit of pumping up and big punctures are often beyond help, so chance of using the goo is slim....
    I agree - they took the option away by also fitting the sub-woofer for the sound system into the spare wheel space to further confound things.........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    They have to support the car without the cushion of air pressure. So the sidewall has to support the weight of the car, so would have to be very stiff.
    I see, that makes sense. Am I right that speed is limited to about 30mph (advised by manufacturer) when flat, and for a limited distance?

Master
    No, 50mph I think for BMWs with run flats, and no more than 50 miles, although it's been a couple of years since I owned one.

They have to have a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System too, otherwise you won't know you've got a flat. Run flats can be repaired as well, although the longer and faster you drive them 'flat' the less the chance of repair.

I agree with the other chap, early run flat tyres were like rocks, but they've developed over the years and I was hard pushed to tell the difference between them and standard tyres on my last BMW.

I'd much prefer a run flat setup to changing to a spare wheel in most situations.
    Last edited by Tooks; 25th July 2017 at 18:56.