closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Show us your SEKONDAS

Master

Show us your SEKONDAS

A thread for the discerning collector to show off their pride and joy from this iconic British company, both present and vintage. Sekonda date back to 1966 when they supplied exquisite re-badged Russian watches. Now all their products are made in Hong Kong, and are also available under the One, Xpose and Seksy brands, and can sell for anything up to £159.99 for a top of the range model!

Now in their 50th year, Sekonda have been supplying to the masses through such prestigious high street retailers as H.Samuel, Argos and F.Hinds. Not to mention Ratners (before they went bankrupt).

(Disclaimer: I am not connected to the Sekonda watch company, their subsidiaries or retailers in any way. They have not sent me any free watches to review, or offered me a holiday in Hong Kong to visit their manufacture).

PS. I don't actually own a Sekonda at the moment.

So, lets be having your pictures then!
    Last edited by Tiny; 25th July 2017 at 11:54.

Blog Entries

Show us your SEKONDAS

So I don't see no pics ?

They have to be on par with Michael kors, fossil and any other fashion watch . In fact I'd rather have a sekonda than a Calvin Klein watch or Armani

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 24th July 2017 at 17:20.

Blog Entries

Vindicta sub alike James Saville deep see kids dweller

They did quite a nice Tourbillon watch a few years back.

Grand Master
    Having just serviced a 70s Sekonda I have a new-found respect for what they produced. This was a typical gold-plated mechanical watch from that era and apart from the dial being a bit cheap-looking the rest of the watch was typical of mid-priced Swiss offerings from that time. I couldn`t find anything that struck me as cheap or nasty, and the watch ran extremely well when reassembled. The major drawback with these is the lack of parts availability.

Possibly the one I had in was one of the better models, I don`t know, but I couldn`t fault it.

Paul

Blog Entries
    For a nice aviators inspired wear and not care beater this is very legible . All those threads "what can I get my 8-15year old" could do a lot worse

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Having just serviced a 70s Sekonda I have a new-found respect for what they produced. This was a typical gold-plated mechanical watch from that era and apart from the dial being a bit cheap-looking the rest of the watch was typical of mid-priced Swiss offerings from that time. I couldn`t find anything that struck me as cheap or nasty, and the watch ran extremely well when reassembled. The major drawback with these is the lack of parts availability.

Possibly the one I had in was one of the better models, I don`t know, but I couldn`t fault it.

Paul
    I have four vintage models two I have posted pictures and yes the quality is pretty good and they are very reliable, plus the timekeeping is excellent.
    Robust is the word.

Nowt wrong with a 3017 or two.

1970's vintage

Well this went surprisingly well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a blue dialed silver cased Sekonda in the late sixties - it had a lovely starburst finish. I regularly trawl the bay looking for one to recapture those days. Haven't bought one yet but hope to one day.

They produce similarly styled quartz models today (though larger and with a date).

I wonder if there are any of the originals on the tz community?

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I had a blue dialed silver cased Sekonda in the late sixties - it had a lovely starburst finish. I regularly trawl the bay looking for one to recapture those days. Haven't bought one yet but hope to one day.

They produce similarly styled quartz models today (though larger and with a date).

I wonder if there are any of the originals on the tz community?

ATB

Jon
    Was it like this? I think I recall from the WUS Russian Forum there being a variations in the second hand. I had this for a while, and sold it a couple of years ago to a friend on the IWL forum.

These were just rebadged Poljot De Luxes, using the Poljot 2209 movement (of which Ranfft speaks highly) so there are identical Poljots out there too. The entire production of the movement and the De Luxe model shifted to the Luch factory in the mid 70s. I don't think I've seen a blue dialled Luch De Luxe like these, so a blue Sekonda like this should be pre-1976. Sekonda still stock spare parts for these watches.

It has a 35mm case, and is about 8mm thick thanks to the domed crystal. There are also flat crystals for them, which reduces the thickness to 7mm. On that strap above, the whole thing weighed only 25 grammes.

PS an old WUS thread unknotting who / what Sekonda were / are: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/sek...es-649514.html
    Last edited by Der Amf; 24th July 2017 at 22:22.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Better than the usual 'Show us your COMMON WATCH' threads. Indeed, if I'm not mistaken some have even deleted their disparaging posts to join in.

The second watch I ever owned as a schoolboy was a Sekonda, probably when they first started being imported and were a bit of a novelty (being a Russian watch). Like many of my toys/possessions it was disassembled, never to work again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Indeed, a very interesting read so far.

Yep must admit when it was posted I thought it would go pear shaped rapidly.I bought 2 a few years ago in a moment of absolute madness.

The moral if the story is after leaving the pub go straight home and not via Argos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Yep must admit when it was posted I thought it would go pear shaped rapidly.I bought 2 a few years ago in a moment of absolute madness.

The moral if the story is after leaving the pub go straight home and not via Argos.
    Do the chrono pushers work or the chronograph itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Nowt wrong with a 3017 or two.

Just lovely Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Just lovely Matthew
    Cheers, Ed! I refer to them as Yin and Yang.

Craftsman
    Bought this in the airport in 2008 on my way to Barbados to get married. Used it as my wedding watch and even took it snorkelling.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Was it like this? I think I recall from the WUS Russian Forum there being a variations in the second hand. I had this for a while, and sold it a couple of years ago to a friend on the IWL forum.

These were just rebadged Poljot De Luxes, using the Poljot 2209 movement (of which Ranfft speaks highly) so there are identical Poljots out there too. The entire production of the movement and the De Luxe model shifted to the Luch factory in the mid 70s. I don't think I've seen a blue dialled Luch De Luxe like these, so a blue Sekonda like this should be pre-1976. Sekonda still stock spare parts for these watches.

It has a 35mm case, and is about 8mm thick thanks to the domed crystal. There are also flat crystals for them, which reduces the thickness to 7mm. On that strap above, the whole thing weighed only 25 grammes.

PS an old WUS thread unknotting who / what Sekonda were / are: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/sek...es-649514.html
    Hi Der Amf

Thanks very much for this

Mine was very similar. I can't remember the red second hand - I 'm pretty sure mine was silvered. And I'm not sure about 'de luxe' wording - mine may or many not have had that - it was a long time ago! But the general appearance - that lovely dial and tapered indices is just right and I think 37mm sounds about right too.

I always understood it to be Russian made, so a rebadged Poljot sounds about right too. I subsequently got a chronograph of some description but that was replaced with a Tissot for my 18th birthday (currently with Paul for restoration :) )

If anyone else has one of these blue-faced vintage Sekondas they want to move on, please get in touch

ATB

Jon

Master
    This is exactly what I was hoping for. I was interested to see vintage mechanical models that had been forgotten in time. I am very surprised to see the mechanical chronographs. I had no idea they existed.

Craftsman
    Unless I'm not aware of something original Sekonda wasn't British though. It was a Soviet era brand aimed at export markets.

Sekonda also used Slava movements as well as Poljot.
    Mine has the Slava 2414, twin mainspring barrels with an oversize balance wheel. Very good movement for the price.

If I remember rightly, Ronnie Barker starred in some very funny adverts for Sekonda back in the 70's and/or 80's.

I'll have to see if I can find them anywhere, YouTube maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Unless I'm not aware of something
    old WUS thread unknotting who / what Sekonda were / are: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/sek...es-649514.html

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    If I remember rightly, Ronnie Barker starred in some very funny adverts for Sekonda back in the 70's and/or 80's.

I'll have to see if I can find them anywhere, YouTube maybe....
    I remember the Madness advert very fondly, think that must have been mid 80s

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post

Vindicta sub alike James Saville deep see kids dweller

Very good, you're a funny guy.

Craftsman
    That is interesting. After looking up further Sekonda was UK's brand, similarly Titan was Spanish and Exacta German. All used as brands of watches made in CCCP often same models. Man learns every day.

Master
    Brilliant! HA! Ha!

Master
    I only ever had one Sekonda, a chunky LCD digital "melody alarm" that played a little beepy tune when the alarm went off. I liked it a lot. Bought it in 1981 or so I think.

I didn't remember it, watched the link above though and it's great!

I found some of the RB ones on YouTube, for example :

https://youtu.be/Z1KdxNiKoAc

Blog Entries
    I've got a few Soviet-era Sekondas. I might post some photos in due course but, as ever when I say things like that, don't hold your breath.

My first ever watch was in fact a Sekonda, bought by my father for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Another good laugh!