closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris sixty five diver

Craftsman

Oris sixty five diver

hey guys,

i've been looking at this watch a lot lately and wondering if anybody has had one?

if so, how has it held up? did you keep it or flip it? is it getting much wrist time? any issues?

it ticks a lot of boxes for me but i'd like your opinions!

Master
    I think it's a very handsome watch.

Personally I am now 100% keen on the bezel.

A distressed style brown leather strap might be better also.

But, overall, I really like it. Lovely dial.

Craftsman
    do you have one ach? does it hold up irl?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flareslove View Post
    Sorry, I dont. I have looked at them though and had the same thoughts as you!

I imagine they will be very well put together - these modern Oris divers are generally getting a good reputation.

Blog Entries
    10 bar, seriously?

Should be 10 ATM surely (atmospheres)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Should be 10 ATM surely (atmospheres)
    1 bar is close enough to 1 atm that it doesn't make much difference, but 10 bar WR is a little on the low end for something described as a diver, surely? (ISO 6425 is 200m minimum)

Craftsman
    yeah the 10 BAR water resistance irked me as well. still.... i'm not sure it's a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    10 bar, seriously?
    Most buyers aren't on watch forums. Makes no difference to joe public. In fact, how many of us will dive to 100m, not me for sure. I'm sure 100m is good for cleaning the dishes though.

Master
    In terms of WR, fully authentic to the original era it tributes, I guess!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I'm sure 100m is good for cleaning the dishes though.
    That's the scullery maid's problem.

10 bar, seriously?

"With 100 meters water resistance, you won't be taking the Oris Divers Sixty Five on your next zip down the Marianas Trench, but its depth rating is plenty for recreational diving, which bottoms out between 30 and 40 meters. For me, that 30 to 40 meters would be in the Pacific just off the coast of Punta Mita, Mexico. With warm waters, sunny beaches and colorful drinks aplenty, this seemed as fitting a locale as any for a vacation with the Oris Divers Sixty Five." (Review)

Can't wait to hear how this isn't good enough for you

Quote Originally Posted by flareslove View Post
    It sure is a lovely little tribute.
    As far as WR goes, it is as someone already said to keep it true to the watch it is a reissue of.
    It certainly would have been easy enough to have a higher WR to satisfy the modern urges of people who have probably never dived but they felt it was better to stay true.
    I have mine on leather but I would love to see the black face version on bracelet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    [IMG]
    I don't think you get to decide what's good enough for me.

Apprentice
    I have really warmed to the Sixty Five lately. I quite fancy one soon, so appreciating the views here.

Whenever I visit here it always get expensive. :)

Matt

I don't think you get to decide what's good enough for me.
    Which is exactly why I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how this worthy of your scorn

I'd buy one if it was 40mm and less than 11mm.
    Last edited by studly; 24th July 2017 at 16:36.

Master
    Sadly, it seems the term "diver" now has a broad spectrum in its description. I like how thin the case is on these but not sure if I'm a fan of all their designs; of which there are possible too many. At the price point, it's not too bad for the money, but are Miyota Seillita movements better than the equivalent ETA, if I'm correct that's what's in these?

For example, this I really dislike...

...but this works well IMO...

Last edited by W44NNE; 24th July 2017 at 16:52.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    are Miyota movements better than the equivalent ETA, if I'm correct that's what's in these?
    Is that a typo for Sellita? Yes the Oris movement is basically the Sellita 2824 equivalent (see here) Not expecting a Miyota in a Swiss Made watch just yet....

Master
    Is that a typo for Sellita? Yes the Oris movement is basically the Sellita 2824 equivalent (see here) Not expecting a Miyota in a Swiss Made watch just yet....
    Whoops yes I meant that :-D Well corrected.

Sadly, it seems the term "diver" now has a broad spectrum in its description.
    It's sad that their range has been expanded from 100m to 200m to 300m to 600m to heaven knows what?

Master
    It's sad that their range has been expanded from 100m to 200m to 300m to 600m to heaven knows what?
    Well it definitely looks like a "Diver", but it's a bit like having a Chronograph that times 15 minutes. Useful but not what you'd expect. 100M WR is fine for me and 99.9% of people though I guess.

If, for arguments sake, I was sat on the sea floor, 100m down, I would trust an Oris over any micro-brand, Deep Blue, Invicta, or any other suspect eastern Asian brand, even it it did claim 200m or more on the dial.....

I am wearing mine today, blue dial. I still like it a lot. The domed crystal really makes the watch.

21mm lugs which is annoying. Currently have it on a black 21mm NATO.
    The distressed looking brown strap it came with is not the best although it looks lovely. I'm planning on using the buckle and having a new strap made. I also have the Oris fabric strap which is nice.

Master
    If, for arguments sake, I was sat on the sea floor, 100m down, I would trust an Oris over any micro-brand, Deep Blue, Invicta, or any other suspect eastern Asian brand, even it it did claim 200m or more on the dial.....
    Out of interest, what makes you trust the Oris over the micro brands? I've seen some micro stuff that punches way above its weight, but costs a lot less than watches like the Oris.

Blog Entries

"With 100 meters water resistance, you won't be taking the Oris Divers Sixty Five on your next zip down the Marianas Trench, but its depth rating is plenty for recreational diving, which bottoms out between 30 and 40 meters. For me, that 30 to 40 meters would be in the Pacific just off the coast of Punta Mita, Mexico. With warm waters, sunny beaches and colorful drinks aplenty, this seemed as fitting a locale as any for a vacation with the Oris Divers Sixty Five." (Review)

Nice picture and true enough.

Out of interest, what makes you trust the Oris over the micro brands? I've seen some micro stuff that punches way above its weight, but costs a lot less than watches like the Oris.
    I've had 2 Oris divers, one for several years, the other just a couple. The one I had just a couple of years I replaced various parts and was able to see the way the case was put together. I was quite impressed with the small tolerances of parts that fitted together, better than say an SKX007, for which I also have high regard for and would trust 100% after taking a few of those apart.
    I'm not saying all micros are untrustworthy; someone like Scurfa or Helm have good feedback based on real-life testing or proven accreditation. There's probably many others that are just as good.
    If I bought a dive watch from say Deep Blue, would I trust it? Nope. They recently did a copy of the SKX (7s26-0020 type case) and called it the "300 nato diver" . The dodgy bast@rds also marked the dial with "Divers 300m". They didn't bother to get the watch accredited so decided to omit an apostrophe to get around that little problem. Would you trust a company that does that?

Master
    I've had 2 Oris divers, one for several years, the other just a couple. The one I had just a couple of years I replaced various parts and was able to see the way the case was put together. I was quite impressed with the small tolerances of parts that fitted together, better than say an SKX007, for which I also have high regard for and would trust 100% after taking a few of those apart.
    I'm not saying all micros are untrustworthy; someone like Scurfa or Helm have good feedback based on real-life testing or proven accreditation. There's probably many others that are just as good.
    If I bought a dive watch from say Deep Blue, would I trust it? Nope. They recently did a copy of the SKX (7s26-0020 type case) and called it the "300 nato diver" . The dodgy bast@rds also marked the dial with "Divers 300m". They didn't bother to get the watch accredited so decided to omit an apostrophe to get around that little problem. Would you trust a company that does that?
    Is this "Divers 300m" scenario known about? That's terrible if it's true... sounds like an absolute con.

Craftsman
    The heritage model certainly is very nice indeed. So much so I've added it to the prospects list.

The 21mm lug spacing could be an issue for strap swappers
    Last edited by dommorton; 25th July 2017 at 11:29.

I really like this one....

Craftsman
    I'm not 100% on the lume colour but other than that I think they look great for the price

Master
    If I did not already own the Bronze Carl Brashear, I would definitely get a 65.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    I'm not 100% on the lume colour but other than that I think they look great for the price
    It's the lume colour that draws me in. Not usually one for vintage or patina; Especially not when faked. Yet for some reason to my eye these look great!