closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Rolex overpriced?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You know nothing young padawan.
    Shouldn't that be "You know nothing, John Snow" ?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hah. Yes probably!

Master
    Overpriced, new or used ?
    Last edited by gc52; 24th July 2017 at 18:32.

Master
    Duplicate post, sorry !
    Last edited by gc52; 24th July 2017 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Shame of it is, this topic will have more views and replies than dozens of other decent, informative and genuinely interesting topics.
    Exactly, where are Petrus and GrandS when you really need them?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    To be fair, the question 'Is the luxury watch market in some ways similar to the London property market?' is not a bad one (to which the answer is yes and no). It's also reasonable, if not a new idea, to question whether there is a bubble in luxury watches provoked in part by the rise of the Swiss Franc after the financial crisis, combined with quantitative easing, bonuses, and the expansion into China prior to recent anti-corruption legistlation, which has also infected the vintage market and priced out many collectors (and the answer is quite likely). It's also reasonable to consider, though best to avoid discussing, the idea that rapid price inflation over the last decade could increase demand for fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Shame of it is, this topic will have more views and replies than dozens of other decent, informative and genuinely interesting topics.
    Why does that matter? It isnt tv ratings..........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    The power of the internet,eh?

Ok, whilst replying, no offence to Benidorm, poor people, or those who continually need to tell us they have both an iPhone and Tapatalk.
    Thought that was quite funny :) I do have an iPhone, but not tapatalk. Quite liked your original post as well, I have a rolex, so obviously not poor either :)

Master

Why does that matter? It isnt tv ratings..........

Maybe those who constantly sneer at newbie threads should come up with those decent, informative and genuinely interesting topics instead of looking down their noses.
    Just sayin'
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 24th July 2017 at 15:22. Reason: tit

Not really when you consider that you can buy one for say £5k, wear it every day for 20 years and then flog it for a profit.

How many other products can offer that.

Come to think of it how many other watches can do that?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    To be fair, the question 'Is the luxury watch market in some ways similar to the London property market?' is not a bad one (to which the answer is yes and no). It's also reasonable, if not a new idea, to question whether there is a bubble in luxury watches provoked in part by the rise of the Swiss Franc after the financial crisis, combined with quantitative easing, bonuses, and the expansion into China prior to recent anti-corruption legistlation, which has also infected the vintage market and priced out many collectors (and the answer is quite likely). It's also reasonable to consider, though best to avoid discussing, the idea that rapid price inflation over the last decade could increase demand for fakes.
    An interesting reply based on the original discussion point. Thank you for highlighting factors I hadn't considered, and putting others into perspective.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Their exclusivity is another sense of pleasure given to owners.
    I don't see the exclusivity when nearly everyone on this forum seems to have half a dozen subs, and their Labrador wears a Yachtmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    These are free!, we have yarpies for the biltong, jap lad for the Royal milk tea and green matcha, and I supply Lindt salt caramel chocolate .
    Do your Jaapies bring you beef or ostrich biltong?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I don't see the exclusivity when nearly everyone on this forum seems to have half a dozen subs, and their Labrador wears a Yachtmaster.

Do your Jaapies bring you beef or ostrich biltong?
    Lol. Yeah, even dogs have ideas above their station...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Remember Nutty Bars.
    They were tasty.
    Like a log covered in peanuts.
    Really loved Nutty Bars. The best contemporary alternative I've found is the Payday: a salty, calorific US import.

Are Rolex overpriced?

Craftsman
    The sum of the parts would certainly put doubt in my mind but I totally trust my non date 2009 Sub, ski in it, trek with it, dive with it and go to work with it, never out of place and never misses a beat - worth every penny.

P.S. also if in real trouble somewhere in the world, what other watch can be used as currency?

Master
    We just had a small portion of chips on Hayling Island. £3. Maybe ten chips. Makes the Rolex I was wearing a bargain. Although you probably can't eat it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    We just had a small portion of chips on Hayling Island. £3. Maybe ten chips. Makes the Rolex I was wearing a bargain. Although you probably can't eat it.
    They probably saw your Rolex and assumed you could afford it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive never heard of nutty bars hood. Are they similar to the current star bar?

Given that they sell every watch they make, no.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ive never heard of nutty bars hood. Are they similar to the current star bar?
    Don't forget the glorious Texan Bars. Sigh - gets misty eyed. Demand made them briefly reintroduce it in 2005 after being binned in the 80s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Don't forget the glorious Texan Bars. Sigh - gets misty eyed. Demand made them briefly reintroduce it in 2005 after being binned in the 80s

Texans.....take.....time.....to.....chew....

Craftsman
    IMO, absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If they're good enough for Wimbledon, they're probably, er, quite good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    The sum of the parts would certainly put doubt in my mind but I totally trust my non date 2009 Sub, ski in it, trek with it, dive with it and go to work with it, never out of place and never misses a beat - worth every penny.

P.S. also if in real trouble somewhere in the world, what other watch can be used as currency?
    Your PS is a valid point that wasn't mentioned on the recent "wear a Rolex backpacking?" Thread. May be we should resurrect it??????

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    If they're good enough for Wimbledon, they're probably, er, quite good.
    Although lawn tennis isn't something that really needs accurate timing, unlike the Olympic 100m final. Either way, the brand who pays the most gets the best venues in which to display their logo.

Back to the thread, yes a Rolex wrist watch is over priced. If they under priced everybody would have one.

I renember when youd Never get a whole monster munch in your mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Really loved Nutty Bars. The best contemporary alternative I've found is the Payday: a salty, calorific US import.
    If you havent already tried it, have a look for a Baby Ruth, a very nice US import

Master
    I was 131 now im 132 :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

As the some of their parts, all premium brands are ridiculously overpriced. Rolex look after their market and thus their customers. I bought a LVc about 2 years ago for 5K. I could sell it in minutes in SC at that price having worn it for a couple of years and not lose a penny. No, Rolex are not overpriced. You pay for more than just the watch.

Master
    Nearly all luxury watches are overpriced, Rolex is underpriced (Daytona)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Don't talk to me about the size of Quality Street tins .......

Craftsman
    It's not the price that stops me buying one personally.

Given how hard it seems to be to buy one, it's fair to say they are underpriced at the moment, although under stocked is another way of looking at it.

Master
    Rolex are now arguably Veblen goods and buyers need others to know they are expensive as a signal of wealth. Which could also explain why Rolex have become larger and more gaudy.

That said, Rolex have done a fantastic job of creating faux scarcity on a mass-market item, plus chosen a good set of 'ambassadors' to promote the brand and enhance the cachet.

Omega tried the same game of moving the price point up, but fell down by churning out too many 'special' Speedys and the like.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 24th July 2017 at 18:40.

Very overpriced, lol
    I've just paid more for a 16710 Pepsi than some people spend on a small car....worth it though!!

No, they are not over priced as their turnover remains as high as the demand.

Master
    If you buy a Rolex today and keep it for a few years, the chances are that you will be able to sell it at a price that beats inflation and covers your servicing costs. This is not guaranteed but is, in all fairness, very likely.

Therefore a Rolex will have cost you nothing, and hence could be described as owing a watch for bugger all cost.

Also in this day and age, the cost of a Rolex is hardly going to break anyones bank. It must represent 0.000000000000000000000000001% of your lifetimes expenditure.

Bit of a stupid question really.

Which models specifically ?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    ........ I also admire their refusal to simply increase prices on certain lines to reduce demand. This is what 99.9% of manufacturers would do.
    Last edited by UKWatchGuy; 24th July 2017 at 19:47.

Master
    Actually, if he has a £14k Daytona and she has a £5k lady Datejust that would be 1% of a lifetime's expenditure.

Households in Britain spend an average of £1.9million over the course of a lifetime

I'll get my coat...M&S so 0.03% of my lifetime expenditure.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 24th July 2017 at 20:18.

It's always nice to revisit a thread.
    Yes.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Er "those sorts"? The inability to afford a Rolex or in many cases the refusal to pay the premium for one (but CAN afford) should not lead to branding like this bud? Bit conceited view that imho

I can very easily buy several Rolexes but choose not to, +1 he's a very conceited person hence his name... for him I will wear my Seiko every morning!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Which models specifically ?
    Well every watch which there's a waiting list for which strikes me as all the steel sports models.

The prices on these could be raised till demand equalled their production numbers but it isn't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I can very easily buy several Rolexes but choose not to, +1 he's a very conceited person hence his name... for him I will wear my Seiko every morning!!!

I'm the same with 124ft sunseekers and faberge eggs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Rolex are now arguably Veblen goods and buyers need others to know they are expensive as a signal of wealth. Which could also explain why Rolex have become larger and more gaudy.

That said, Rolex have done a fantastic job of creating faux scarcity on a mass-market item, plus chosen a good set of 'ambassadors' to promote the brand and enhance the cachet.

Omega tried the same game of moving the price point up, but fell down by churning out too many 'special' Speedys and the like.
    PLEASE don't mention the "V" word around these parts lest you spark another episode!

Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Or Cadbury Creme Eggs.....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Have you seen how they've shrunk them by raising the base so the tin looks like it's the same size from the top? Scheming shysters.

And just to keep things on topic. Quality street are the movement spacers of the confectionary world.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Or Cadbury Creme Eggs.....
    Or twirl bars

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

A Rolex sports watch typically sells Atleast at retail and often fetches the same after using a couple of years
    A Seiko SKX007 has a retail price of $450, sells for anywhere between $150-200 and fetches $125 preowned.
    You decide which one is overpriced.
    If one doesn't understand the relationship between price and value, they should refrain from commenting here.

Rolex is a charity so it would be immoral not to wring the last penny out of buyers.