closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are Rolex overpriced?

Craftsman
    Rolex are overpriced (if you take into consideration production cost vs retail), but so all most (if not all) luxury brands.

They may appear overpriced, yet represent excellent value for money, with a future residual higher than its original purchase price. Better than money in the bank and something to enjoy whilst appreciating.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes they are expensive but the cost of ownership is cheap /free.

I bought a used Explorer a few years ago, I could sell that today and probably make £400 profit.

Blog Entries
    The problem with the question at the heart of this thread is that "overpriced" has several meanings.

Are Rolex watches or Chanel bags or Mont Blanc pens overpriced in terms of utility? Yes, they are, because you can tell time just as well with a plastic Swatch, carry your stuff in a Tesco plastic bag, and write with a BIC ballpoint. The same would apply to approximately 99.999% of the watches that appear on this forum.

Most of us are happy to pay for a little more than basic utility in most of the things we use, though. How much more depends on how much we can afford and the perceived value, image, quality, return on investment, or convenience the extra buys us.

Are Rolex watches or Chanel bags or Mont Blanc pens overpriced according to the market pricing? Clearly not, since people buy them in large numbers. They'd only be overpriced in this sense if they were priced high enough that there were fewer people willing to pay for them than they wanted, or were able, to sell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

I bought a used Explorer a few years ago, I could sell that today and probably make £400 profit.
    That ignores the opportunity cost related to what else you might have done with the money you spent on the Explorer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    That ignores the opportunity cost related to what else you might have done with the money you spent on the Explorer.
    That's true, you could have spent it on loads of other things and lost a fortune!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    True but you can also attribute some value to the ownership experience too ... either way I don't see owning a mainstream Rolex as a particularly expensive choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    But services cost (I understand) £400+! We can debate how often one needs servicing, but this aspect of ownership doesn't sound cheap, let alone free, to me!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    But services cost (I understand) £400+! We can debate how often one needs servicing, but this aspect of ownership doesn't sound cheap, let alone free, to me!!
    £50 per year for services... not too bad ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    That's true, you could have spent it on loads of other things and lost a fortune!
    Or spent it on gym membership and been fitter, or invested it in Apple or Netflix shares and had a much better return, or given it to Oxfam and felt different inside.

Scorn isn't an argument in and of itself, although you wouldn't know it to read this forum.

More than offset by the appreciation in value that seems to be inevitable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    More than offset by the appreciation in value that seems to be inevitable.
    So...does it really come down it that the main benefit of a Rolex is that one will hold or increase their value?? I thought that we were watch enthusiasts rather than investment analysts!

Banned
    Not when I'm selling one.

I mean if you look at the price when they first came out and take into consideration even inflation and other aspects, then yeah it's definitely overpriced. The same could be said for property in London.

I've never seen a Rolex I thought I'd like to own regardless of the cost to be honest but surely if they were truly overpriced they wouldn't sell would they?

Since there are waiting lists for most (all?) models and a huge number of threads on here and elsewhere about buying, owning and flipping them, they must be priced 'just right' new or second hand.

In my opinion they are priced at what the market will pay so not overpriced at all.

Craftsman
    I think they're both overpriced and underpriced in different senses. Technically they must be underpriced because at the moment demand is far outstripping supply but at the same time...

So...does it really come down it that the main benefit of a Rolex is that one will hold or increase their value?? I thought that we were watch enthusiasts rather than investment analysts!
    No it doesn't; we should all just buy the watches we like.

What I was doing was pointing out that Rolex ownership can be the cheapest way of owning a watch when everything is taken into consideration.

Master
    Hasn't a Rolex become a bit of a posers watch?

Not the enthusiasts, but in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Hasn't a Rolex become a bit of a posers watch?
    In part, yes

Master
    I respect and quite like Rolex for their aesthetic and technological design, but I wouldn't want to be seen wearing one if you gave it to me. My family, friends and co-workers would think I was a bit of a show off. I'm just an ordinary guy. One of the pleb masses, who can just about pay the rent and put food on the family table. There are millions like me, but I like watches.

And here we reach the magic post number 250 and await the decision to ban or not.
    Last edited by Tiny; 25th July 2017 at 21:44.

And here we reach the magic post number 250 and await the decision to ban or not.
    That will depend upon the 'self-appointed' inner sanctum, who discuss and declare whether a thread/post/person is righteous, or to be ridiculed - in the Draft thread.

Master
    At the risk of being provocative, this thread has lead me to reflect how much the Rolex brand is tied in with money - unlike almost any other watch brand. Most Rolex are of course bought by non-WIS, more or less as status symbols, by people who probably have no interest in watches at all, or whats in the case (or possibly can barely tell the time!!) but as a way of displaying that they've got money. Even Rolex owners on here (should we call them the RWIS??), who no doubt appreciate the innards and engineering of their watches, seem very proud that their Rolexes are a good monetary investment. This doesn't seem to happen so much with other similar brands (Omega, Breitling), let alone the seriously expensive craftsman made brands. Just a thought....

Blog Entries
    ... owners on here ... seem very proud that their ... are a good monetary investment.
    It would destroy the interest for me of any of my hobbies if I were to be restricted to buying items that can be considered sound monetary investments.

My family, friends and co-workers would think I was a bit of a show off.
    You're only a show off if you show it off. Most of my family and co-workers don't know or care what watch I'm wearing. I had some nice spotty socks a co-worker commented on the other day but nobody has ever mentioned my watch. I've shown my watches to friends who also wear similar brands but I've many that don't wear a watch so with them I've not shown or even talked about watches.

Watches are a bit like shoes, those that buy expensive ones tend to notice other people's, those that don't, don't.

If you're avoiding buying or enjoying something based on how other might perceive you that's unfortunate and you're missing out because 99% people won't ever notice your watch, and those that do wouldn't care.

Are rolex over discussed?

How long is the bandwagon?

Does anyone use search anymore?

These, alongside many more questions, that hardly need answering.

At the risk of being provocative, this thread has lead me to reflect how much the Rolex is a Great brand and it's tied in with MONEY. Most Rolex are bought as a status symbols, by people who are rich and successful. Some can barely tell the time!!) haha ha! but as a way of displaying that they've got MONEY! The Rolex owners on here, who, no doubt appreciate the innards and engineering of their watches, seem very proud that their Rolexes and are a good monetary investment. This doesn't seem to happen so much with other similar brands (Omega, Breitling), let alone the seriously expensive craftsman made brands. Just a thought....
    Yes yes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    They may appear overpriced, yet represent excellent value for money, with a future residual higher than its original purchase price. Better than money in the bank and something to enjoy whilst appreciating.
    Absolutely agree, but the ( to borrow a phrase ) philosophical question is, are people buying them because of that and thus they become popular or are they being bought to enjoy first? Would they be as popular if the residuals and value for money prospect not be there.

Brand equity, people's utter lack of imagination, and forum "me too" brigade.

seem very proud that their Rolexes are a good monetary investment. This doesn't seem to happen so much with other similar brands (Omega, Breitling), let alone the seriously expensive craftsman made brands. Just a thought....
    That's because they're not!

Master
    OK...but why not? Its not about the watches themselves, its about the brand reputation and perceived status.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    So,buying a Rolex shows a lack of imagination.
    Utter tosh.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 26th July 2017 at 15:08.

Thought you'd comment.

Master
    OK...but why not? Its not about the watches themselves, its about the brand reputation and perceived status.
    Well, D'uh. Market forces, brand position, desirability etc. etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Shoe repairer Cobblers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Absolutely agree, but the ( to borrow a phrase ) philosophical question is, are people buying them because of that and thus they become popular or are they being bought to enjoy first? Would they be as popular if the residuals and value for money prospect not be there.
    Yes, some are but not all

I would like to think yes in the first instance, but many buy for the 'security'

Amongst people who appreciate a quality product (not just WIS) then yes, for the chancers, no

IMO that is

Master
    Put simply, that's correct

Master
    ^^^^^^

Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^

Pardon?
    Every thread must contain the term BLNR

Apprentice
    Totally, considering they have such a high supply

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Every thread must contain the term BLNR
    😆😆😆😆😆

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I suppose another approach is to say that if YOU think Rolex are overpriced, then they are. However, if on the other hand YOU think they are fairly priced, then they are indeed fairly priced.

Do you really care what the others think.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    i guess for people who can afford one or two, it's a safe bet in terms of value for money. Whether or not they appreciate them, who knows.

Master
    Tiny loves a bit of a wind-up.

Blog Entries
    It seems to me that Rolex have taken advantage of some kind of panic demand, much the same as the London property market phenomenon. Many customers are simply buying for investment.

This hits the watch enthusiast hard and for the average collector makes them unobtainable.

For the majority of the population, a couple of hundred for a watch is all they can afford. This is why there is a market for homages, copies etc.
    Unfortunately supply and demand will always put some things at a premium. And some brands will always seem expensive to some even though their quality is probably among the best. There will always be people who buy for investment only, but they may still be enthusiasts as well.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 26th July 2017 at 23:28.

Banned
    Rolex aren't thick.

They produce a gazillion models which langguish in AD's windows and a few which are harder to get than a three course meal in a third world country.

Works for them.
    Last edited by sarky; 26th July 2017 at 21:25.

Craftsman
    Everything seems overpriced these days, i must be getting old !!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    There are - in my opinion - more interesting, special, watches to be had at better prices.

I am not looking at the resale value, as I don't buy watches to sell them...
    Completely agree.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    Everything seems overpriced these days, i must be getting old !!!
    I agree. Look at handbags and cars... Demand and supply fuelled by cheap credit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Every thread must contain the term MX-5
    Fixed ;)

Apprentice
    Rolex is overpriced with respect to its quality. Finishing and quality control are not at par with other watches priced the same. Misaligned bezels, varying cyclops magnifications and dust under crystal are not acceptable in this price range.

For instance JLC, Blancpain, Ulysse Nardin and Glashütte Original are in a completely different league when it comes to quality.