I've decided to put the fabled Amphibia design to the test and see if I could get my vintage version through a pressure test so I could take it swimming. I'm not sure of the age but it has a 17J movement and CCCP on the dial so 70s or early 80s?

First step was to dismantle it and look at the seals and the state of the surfaces on the caseback and case, as I know corrosion here can be as dangerous as a faulty seal.

Overall not too bad, the seal seems undamaged and the marks on the case and caseback surfaces look like they would clean off without leaving pitting. The o-ring in the crown looks OK.

The bad news comes with the crystal, which just pops out. Turns out it is clearly a cosmetic replacement only, being only 0.75mm thick whereas the proper ones are 3mm I think. Researching the forum I found some sources for the crystal, including this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120701622670

I have read about the metal ring for the crystal. I don't know whether I need one or not - any advice welcome. I've also read about using 'special glue' for the crystal, although I have watched one being press-fitted on YouTube. Again, advice appreciated. I don't have a press but I could take it to a local watchmaker to fit if it is simple.

I'll probably order the crystal shortly and then post here with how I get on. Comments or guidance would be much appreciated.