closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alien

Master

Alien

I am struggling to get my head around the evolution of the Alien creature from the eponymous films, especially in the context of Prometheus and Covenant.

Has it ever been established where the alien originated?

Also, the "creator" race seen in Prometheus & covenant - what's the link between them and the alien; it seems like two separate threads and am Not sure how or why they intertwine.

Did the creator race create the alien creature?

I've watched all the films many times (Aliens was a teenage favourite and I think at one point I knew every line off by heart! I actually wore my VHS copy out) and the story from films 1-3 and even 4 is fairly linear and straight forwards but now I'm a bit lost.

Master
    I get the impression Alien was meant to be a one off and perhaps things are being made up as they go along - with the Hollywood Aliens and Alien3 I think things got a bit sidetracked and now subsequent films need to work around those and various story lines established in those movies perhaps without much deeper meaning or forethought.

I agree, rather like many SF series (film or TV), I doubt that there is some kind of fully thought out back story and timeline etc. Its just what is thought to be a commercial product at the time. The whole thing is made up as they go along with new ideas thrown in willy nilly in my view.

I've no idea but who can forget that famous line "Hasta la vista baby"

Master
    My impression is that the 'creator' race engineered the alien zenomorph as a biological weapon, and it got out of hand. A bit like buying and training a vicious dog that ends up eating you.

Master
    So there isn't an "official" line on their origins then?

I agree with the post above re: the creator race making them as a weapon.

In the opening of Prometheus it shows a creator at the waterfall, and a black drop of blood going from him into the water and I think the suggestion is that it's somehow "alien material" but I don't understand why etc?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did come across a big explanation recently of the diff types but cant find it now.

Also mentioned that the xenomorphs are not new as in Alien Covenant as they are pictured in a murial in the prometheus caves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I am struggling to get my head around the evolution of the Alien creature from the eponymous films, especially in the context of Prometheus and Covenant.

Also, the "creator" race seen in Prometheus & covenant - what's the link between them and the alien; it seems like two separate threads and am Not sure how or why they intertwine.

Did the creator race create the alien creature?

I've watched all the films many times (Aliens was a teenage favourite and I think at one point I knew every line off by heart! I actually wore my VHS copy out) and the story from films 1-3 and even 4 is fairly linear and straight forwards but now I'm a bit lost.

Have you not watched the latest film - Alien Covenant? It pretty much explains everything after the Prometheus introduction.

Unfortunately, its a terrible film, terrible acting and does very well to ruin the Alien series of films. But it does explain it.

Blog Entries

Alien

Alien covenant defined the goo as reacting with different hosts forming different forms of alien such as neo morph and squid and other cobra alien things.
    BUT IT Looks like David engineered the proper xenomorph we know and love ; black , elongated head, extendable jaw and snapper. He mentioned mixing up Dr Elizabeth shaws DNA and insect DNA to get the final product . If Ridley Scott says it's law it's canon and that's what he rolling with . It's a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Try the sequels by Ciro Ippolito (Alien 2 - sulla terra, 1980) and, especially, Luigi Cozzi (Contamination - Alien arriva sulla terra, 1981) for competing theories. Skip the tedious so-called "official" sequels, they're all rubbish.

Blog Entries

Alien

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I agree, rather like many SF series (film or TV), I doubt that there is some kind of fully thought out back story and timeline etc. Its just what is thought to be a commercial product at the time. The whole thing is made up as they go along with new ideas thrown in willy nilly in my view.

Bang on there sir! The original where great ideas of giger and Scott and expanded by Cameron but the modern version backstory invention is just a big cash cow pay day for them all on the back of "it's for the fans"

The engineer race were more interesting at present which they bin bagged in covenant to satisfy the fans lack of aliens alien in Prometheus.

I thought Alien Covenant was a massive let down!! I was expecting Elizabeth Shaw to confront the Engineers on why they wanted to destroy life on earth etc.. Alien Covenant just ignored all that and the film effectively became an Alien re-hash, a real wasted opportunity.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did Elizabeth Shaw (Rapace) refuse to come back for Covenant or did Ridley not really want her (alive anyhow)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I thought Alien Covenant was a massive let down!! I was expecting Elizabeth Shaw to confront the Engineers on why they wanted to destroy life on earth etc.. Alien Covenant just ignored all that and the film effectively became an Alien re-hash, a real wasted opportunity.
    Yeah I was one of (few) who enjoyed the direction of Prometheus so a bit dissapointed, pity as Fassbender is fantastic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Did Elizabeth Shaw (Rapace) refuse to come back for Covenant or did Ridley not really want her (alive anyhow)

No she shot scenes for her role In covenant - being mutilated on and playing the flute to the computer. I think she sang a song as a call for help on a hologram

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Have you not watched the latest film - Alien Covenant? It pretty much explains everything after the Prometheus introduction.

Unfortunately, its a terrible film, terrible acting and does very well to ruin the Alien series of films. But it does explain it.
    I must admit, although I did watch it, I was somewhat distracted - I obviously need to sit down with it again and give it my full attention.

I think it's such a great concept that's it's such a shame it's so fragmented and muddled.

Maybe in 20 years it'll get picked up and re-booted with a proper theme and linear (or at least sensical) narrative .

I thought that the creator made the alien as a weapon or for sport, but it took over them and wiped them out, then one of the creator's survivor's came to earth and bled into the water with black blood then a few thousand years later we developed.

Master
    It's a weird direction they've taken in that new Covenant movie. I quite like it though!

The aliens in their current (xenomorph) form are supposed to have been around forever. In the Alien V's Predator films they are shown to have been used for sport by the predator race since long before humankind existed.
    In the new film it appears Aliens have been engineered to the point of perfection quite recently by David, and that they develop in different ways depending on the host they spawn from. i.e. Xenomorph aliens only come from humans.

The second in the series of course introduces us to the Queen as well, so any ideas that aliens are man-made are pretty much undone there and then.

Hopefully they give another sequel the green light, I am very much looking forward to a bit of depth on "The Engineers" and a lot less David.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    It's a weird direction they've taken in that new Covenant movie. I quite like it though!

The aliens in their current (xenomorph) form are supposed to have been around forever. In the Alien V's Predator films they are shown to have been used for sport by the predator race since long before humankind existed.
    In the new film it appears Aliens have been engineered to the point of perfection quite recently by David, and that they develop in different ways depending on the host they spawn from. i.e. Xenomorph aliens only come from humans.

The second in the series of course introduces us to the Queen as well, so any ideas that aliens are man-made are pretty much undone there and then.

I never got that impression that they have been around forever - although the pre mentioned mural showed a semi xeno figurine .

The predator AVP crossover wasn't canon so that mess needs to be discounted. If it ain't Ridley according to die hardship it didn't happen - so none of this predator created a fox to hunt !

Again from my grasp it seems yes David repeated the process of human DNA to achieve the main xeno we relate to or blueprint . But it was achieved WITH wasp or insect DNA as shown by David in covenant and his drawings .

This doesn't discount that the Queen alien from Aliens debunks the other theories or covenants events . In fact one could postulate that Shaw is the original alien (queen alien) as her womb was used . This doesn't stop more queens being spawned and it must to merge into the events of LV 422 and the Alien original film events and more