closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunkirk? Don't bother.

Dunkirk? Don't bother.

I honestly believe most film reviewers have taken leave of their senses. Lauding this travesty, much like they did Skyawfull. (I am still not havin stumpy neck as Bond btw) One of THE worst films I've endured. Haircuts, planes, trains wrong, most scenes looked like the were shot on the Cote d'zur with weather to match. No dialogue just noise. Lazy and a doddle for the 'stars'.
    Watch Mill's & co in the 1958 one then go see this if you dare.
    Barry Norman (RIP) over & out.
    On a related note, anyone wondered why Jerry held back? Doubt if many had got home if it'd been a Russian army on that beach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    On a related note, anyone wondered why Jerry held back?
    Either Hitler wanted to appease the British with a view to a negotiated truce or he under-estimated what would happen and its manpower/psychological impact.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    I honestly believe most film reviewers have taken leave of their senses. Lauding this travesty, much like they did Skyawfull. (I am still not havin stumpy neck as Bond btw) One of THE worst films I've endured. Haircuts, planes, trains wrong, most scenes looked like the were shot on the Cote d'zur with weather to match. No dialogue just noise. Lazy and a doddle for the 'stars'.
    Watch Mill's & co in the 1958 one then go see this if you dare.
    Barry Norman (RIP) over & out.
    On a related note, anyone wondered why Jerry held back? Doubt if many had got home if it'd been a Russian army on that beach.
    That's your opinion - which you're entitled to.

Me and the lad enjoyed it, and judging by the reviews I've read and heard - you're in the minority.

IMDB 8.8 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I went to see it last night and feel the same.

Craftsman
    As I understood, most prevailing theory is that German armoured units advanced to quickly and they had to wait for infantry to catch up as not to expose their own flanks.
    Other one is that they underestimated the ability of the allies to get out and thought that Luftwaffe is enough to deal with the issue.

The order is apparently also only rubber stamped by Hitler, not originated by him.

I've not seen the movie yet, but listening to Mark Kermode hype up both the movie and Christopher Nolan can't be a good thing as Kermode is completely hopeless as a film critic.

I have a theory that the longer a trailer is shown in cinemas prior to release the more the distributors know they have a big budget pile of dung on their hands.

I think Live by Night was the last one example of this; a heart-pounding trailer shown for months, led us to an absolute lemon.

Part of me wants to see this but I suspect it's the cinematic action rather than the story that has been drawing people in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I've not seen the movie yet, but listening to Mark Kermode hype up both the movie and Christopher Nolan can't be a good thing as Kermode is completely hopeless as a film critic.
    Anything he says is good i always avoid as he just likes the sound of his own voice and a crap film critic.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    That's your opinion - which you're entitled to.

Me and the lad enjoyed it, and judging by the reviews I've read and heard - you're in the minority.

IMDB 8.8 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Sheep. In my humble opinion of course.

I also went with my lad, if he hadn't have asked me to go, the exit sign, dans roll up, after 30 mins was on the cards.
    Not a complete wash out though, the evening improved somewhat for post flick libations in The Queen of Iceni, surrounded by two near nakedly attired hen parties, if you please.

.......the lad is a 19yr old student btw!

Master
    Harry Styles though? Nah!

Master
    I'll just rewatch Saving Private Ryan, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I have a theory that the longer a trailer is shown in cinemas prior to release the more the distributors know they have a big budget pile of dung on their hands.

I think Live by Night was the last one example of this; a heart-pounding trailer shown for months, led us to an absolute lemon.

Part of me wants to see this but I suspect it's the cinematic action rather than the story that has been drawing people in.
    The cinematic action didn't do it for me as a spectacle, flying sequences better in steam powered 1969's Battle of Britain for example.
    I would love to see Das Boot in imax, it'd literally blow this tosh out the water.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Either Hitler wanted to appease the British with a view to a negotiated truce or he under-estimated what would happen and its manpower/psychological impact.
    I'm sure it was the former. We were on our arse after this and if he'd have left Russia alone in '41, I'd be writing this in German. (Assuming there'd been a watch forum.....or the internet.....or.......)

As to why they held back, it may have to do with Göring's massive influence ( he was promoted to Reichsmarschall a few weeks later) and his belief that victory needed to come from the Luftwaffe, not the Heer.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I've not seen the movie yet, but listening to c hype up both the movie and Christopher Nolan can't be a good thing as Kermode is completely hopeless as a film critic.
    Mark Kermode's best comment was to call the film "a very, very impressive piece of work" and otherwise he praised some of the components. At no point did I hear him say he liked it (link).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have to agree, saw it last night and was puzzled by the gaping flaws.

The premise/storyline was great, but for some inexplicable reason Christopher Nolan decided that in this out of all films he wasn't going to use CGI effects, thus the "400,000" troops looked like 400. Most of the time the beach scenes looked like a couple of platoons mildly inconvenienced by a couple of Stukas who somehow were skilful enough to hit a few soldiers amongst the wildly unpopulated expanse of Dunkirk beaches.

I havent seen it myself but apparently the Jurassic Skyline (tower) was in shot during the scenes in Weymouth which if true is an unbelievable error

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Must say i liked Skyfall,and looking forward to Dunkirk.

Each to their own

Not seen it yet, but I will as I'm a fan of Nolan's work generally.

Critics can be wrong, but oddly I've found the same true of 'blokes on the internet' so I'll make my own mind up on this one.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Just back from seeing it. We enjoyed it, but then by far my favourite film of the last few years is Leviathan (the doc), and my favourite Tom Hardy film is Locke.

The score is really impressive, anyhow. I guess I'd say that if you enjoyed Fury Road this one might be for you, although I can completely see why some folk didn't like it at all. But if you are going to give it a try then the big screen is the way to go....
    Last edited by simoscribbler; 23rd July 2017 at 17:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I'll just rewatch Saving Private Ryan, then.
    If you watch it in reverse, it should be pretty much the same as Dunkirk.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I watched the trailer when I was dragged to see Spiderman with the kids. I wasn't tempted to go & see it based on the trailer.

I also would have walked out of Spiderman if it hadn't meant leaving the kids. It was truly awful.

Master
    Just got back from watching Dunkirk. I enjoyed it and thought the lack of dialogue and wise cracks more realistic in such a stressful situation when you think your going to die. Not my wife's sort of film but she wasn't bored which is as close as it gets to a thumbs up from her for a war film.

I thought it was a magnificent piece of fim-making, bordering on a masterpiece. No stupid dialogue - in fact pracctically no dialogue at all, no schmalzy back stories to make us empathise with the characters, no ego scenes for the main actors to emote all over the shop and no easy-solution CGI, just a brilliant score and fantastic old-school cinematography. It was worth the price of admission just for the aerial scenes.

It is also a testament to Christopher Nolan's clout that he could raise the funds and make such a film without using a Hollywood A-lister - Dane de Haan or Chris Pine as an ES pilot in one of the Spitfires would surely have made it an easier sell.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I thought it was a magnificent piece of fim-making, bordering on a masterpiece. No stupid dialogue - in fact pracctically no dialogue at all, no schmalzy back stories to make us empathise with the characters, no ego scenes for the main actors to emote all over the shop and no easy-solution CGI, just a brilliant score and fantastic old-school cinematography. It was worth the price of admission just for the aerial scenes.

It is also a testament to Christopher Nolan's clout that he could raise the funds and make such a film without using a Hollywood A-lister - Dane de Haan or Chris Pine as an ES pilot in one of the Spitfires would surely have made it an easier sell.
    Spot on summary for me.

The score worked really well - it was hard to listen to in places, as intended.

Foggy

Blog Entries
    Large parts of the film were shot 'on Urk' as this former island is still known overhere. Urk (30mins from my house) is an ultra religious village with nearly all its citizens working in the fishing industry. 94% of the people attend church every Sunday. Twice I may add. 9:30 and 17:00 hr. Somehow, the ultra religious people in the village and the 'mondain' film crew got along very well. Which is nothing short of a miracle: traditionally, people on Urk are not 'close' with strangers.

From that point of view, this film is a success.
    Last edited by thieuster; 23rd July 2017 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Spot on summary for me.

The score worked really well - it was hard to listen to in places, as intended.

Foggy
    +1. Deafening in the IMAX. The only slight criticism was I didn't get the feeling that there were thousands upon thousands trapped as it appeared to be several hundred at most.

Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post
    +1. Deafening in the IMAX. The only slight criticism was I didn't get the feeling that there were thousands upon thousands trapped as it appeared to be several hundred at most.
    I just saw them as symbolic of the thousands. Just like when the boats came to rescue, we only saw a few, but they symbolised the many. That was my interpretation, right or wrong ;-)

Cheers

Foggy

Chris Nolan's first film, Insomnia, was great. The Batman trilogy was superb (well, the first two were).

Interstellar was utter sh*te. A massively inferior reworking of the brilliant Carl Sagan written Contact. Interstellar was the most tedious, buttock numbing drivel I have seen at the cinema in years.

I don't have high hopes for Dunkirk as a result.

Is Michael Caine in it? Again?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    the most tedious, buttock numbing drivel
    Can I just say that it's awesome when you channel your avatar.

Interstellar was the most tedious, buttock numbing drivel I have seen at the cinema in years.
    Thank you, I thought I was the only one.

Been to see Dunkirk this evening, wish I had read some of these reviews first. Must have been done on a budget, I've seen longer queues at a bus stop. With all special effects available these days where were al broken down trucks and military equiment that is very visible on original photo's of the beach. sorry but quite a good story but factually tripe.

Chris Nolan's first film, Insomnia, was great. The Batman trilogy was superb (well, the first two were).

Interstellar was utter sh*te
    Agreed, agreed and agreed
    I'm prepared to give Dunkirk a go purely on the recommendation of SimonK
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Reminded me of a low budget indie film - only later did I discover it was supposed to be cutting edge etc

Miss by a mile

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Been to see Dunkirk this evening, wish I had read some of these reviews first. Must have been done on a budget, I've seen longer queues at a bus stop. With all special effects available these days where were al broken down trucks and military equiment that is very visible on original photo's of the beach. sorry but quite a good story but factually tripe.
    How's that work then?

Master
    I'll wait till it turns up on the Now

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Can I just say that it's awesome when you channel your avatar.
    I actually speak like it too.

Well, some of the time anyhow.

😏
    So clever my foot fell off.

I saw it at the weekend and I thought it was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    How's that work then?
    Well, as this is based on a factual occurrence the scenes should be accurate, (e.g. as I mentioned there were tons of military equipment left on the beach at Dunkirk trucks, guns, personal equipment etc ) so, considering Nolans eye for detail it doesn't look or feel right. The story is different as it's basically about one particular guy trying to get home, a couple of fighter pilots and one boat going to rescue troops. That's the storyline.

Interstellar was utter sh*te. A massively inferior reworking of the brilliant Carl Sagan written Contact. Interstellar was the most tedious, buttock numbing drivel I have seen at the cinema in years.

I don't have high hopes for Dunkirk as a result.

Is Michael Caine in it? Again?
    First hit was Momento...that was excellent.
    Insomnia was decent....check out the original Scandanavian film.
    Far superior...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119375/

A mixed reception then?

I'm surprised as all the critics I have read seem to think it is a superb film.

I did read however that the director didn't want any CGI so I guess the film would look a bit sparse with the 400 odd extras they had rather than the tens of thousands at the real Dunkirk.

I'm going to see it though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    The film aside, very few people have heard/read about the poor souls who didn't get back to Blighty. My great uncle was taken prisoner and was marched all the way from Dunkirk to Eastern Europe (lots died en route). When the Russians were advancing, near the end of the war, they were then marched all the way back to Germany (again with appalling losses). They were spat upon and ridiculed on both journeys. On their return to England, many of them were accused of "giving up" and suffered even more abuse. My great uncle left England an extremely fit young man, he had bright red hair but returned pure white, a shadow of his former self.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-later.html
    God bless him and his comrades.

If you want to see a hardcore ww2 war film then it doesnt get much more gritty than 'come and see'

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    A mixed reception then?
    I did read however that the director didn't want any CGI so I guess the film would look a bit sparse with the 400 odd extras they had rather than the tens of thousands at the real Dunkirk.
    This is my main criticism - the lack of scale every time a beach scene came up meant I couldn't get fully involved in the film. It was enjoyable overall but this aspect left me completely puzzled.

Having read Ian McEwan's Atonement I now know all I want to about Dunkirk. His descriptions in that novel were nightmarish, brilliant and something I'll never bring myself to read again. I didn't watch the film. Nor did I like the ending much. Brilliantly written.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    This is my main criticism - the lack of scale every time a beach scene came up meant I couldn't get fully involved in the film. It was enjoyable overall but this aspect left me completely puzzled.
    Maybe it's just budget?
    No one can cap Ryan for beach scenes anyway, so why bother.

Master
    We went to watch it in the IMAX Manchester on Saturday, I didnt think it was that bad but i'm waiting for Pegasus Bridge to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    The film aside, very few people have heard/read about the poor souls who didn't get back to Blighty. My great uncle was taken prisoner and was marched all the way from Dunkirk to Eastern Europe (lots died en route). When the Russians were advancing, near the end of the war, they were then marched all the way back to Germany (again with appalling losses). They were spat upon and ridiculed on both journeys. On their return to England, many of them were accused of "giving up" and suffered even more abuse. My great uncle left England an extremely fit young man, he had bright red hair but returned pure white, a shadow of his former self.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ars-later.html
    God bless him and his comrades.
    As was my father captured 20/21st May 1940 whilst trying to hold the line for soldiers to get to Dunkirk. Was in West Poland until Jan 1945 when they marched all POW's back into Germany. What you don't mention is that the winter was a very bad one and they endured temps down in the -20's without any winter clothing and half starved. I have photo's of my Dad before his capture, during his stay in POW camp and immediately upon his return. He was like a shadow when he got back. One of the things he did tell me was that the most terrifying noise he ever heard were the screaming sirens that were attached to Stukas.

I thought 'Dunkirk' was an excellent film - right up there with some of my favourite conflict films like 'La Grande Illusion' and 'Paths Of Glory'.

What the film didn't do (and I don't believe set out to do) was provide a step-by-step portrayal of the historical event in question; unlike the film, 'Battle Of Britain', does with the battle which followed the Dunkirk evacuation.

What I think 'Dunkirk' did set out to do (and I believe achieved) was to provide a sense of the panic, terror, desperation and uncertainty felt by those involved in the evacuation, via the stories of a select few, representative, characters. This is something the fractured narrative only adds to.

Of course, ultimately you'd need to speak to a Dunkirk veteran who has seen the film to ascertain if the film really did achieve this.
    Last edited by CamCG; 24th July 2017 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post

Of course, ultimately you'd need to speak to a Dunkirk veteran who has seen the film to ascertain if the film really did achieve this.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/d...pic-could-see/