closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home safe

Home safe

Getting to the stage when I think I should be considering a small safe to keep the more costly purchases in.

Nothing on home insurance says it's actually required, so just about beefing up home security.

Is that the way most collectors go or do most not bother? What are people recommending and are the budget end of the market really just a strong box with a digi lock?

I read the title and thought you were letting us all know you'd arrived home ok! Lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheap and digital locks rarely end well. Get one with a key. Much safer.
    Contact MarcJ on here, he's the best to advise as he sells them.

Craftsman
    I got myself a nice fireproof safe but it wasn't cheap circa £500
    On a day to day basis watches stay on the winder

Read the terms of your home contents insurance policy - carefully.

They often have a limit to individual items over (say) £2,000 each, and limit the total value of several "high risk/high cost" items within the total inventory.

Safes are given 'ratings' of cash/goods.

A £3,000 Cash-rated safe is a good standard/size/cost, and (if I remember) - gives £30,000 cover for things like watches. This is the rating that an insurance company expects/requires, and of course - securing the safe to the floor/wall is part of that requirement.

Mine is such a unit, and weighs around 35kg empty.

Al

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This topic was done in depth recently, if you go for a search it will harvest all the information you require.

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Getting to the stage when I think I should be considering a small safe to keep the more costly purchases in.

Nothing on home insurance says it's actually required, so just about beefing up home security.

Is that the way most collectors go or do most not bother? What are people recommending and are the budget end of the market really just a strong box with a digi lock?
    I took advice from a locksmith friend (now deceased) who gave me the following advice.

1. Avoid cheap stuff like the plague. Either go for a key (preferred) or a 5 way combination lock. Digitals are a no no.

2. If value for money is your aim, source an old fashioned business safe with a key. They weigh a ton and no burglar will bother to move it or damage it. Just make sure you hide the keys.

3. You rarely find that an insurance rated safe is necessary for domestic usage. If you lock your valuables in a good solid safe, they will remain untouched.

I took this advice and bought a safe that is about 30" high and weighs a ton. It took three of us to shift it and nearly an hour to get it out of the van into the house. I was going to bolt it to the floor but somehow it seemed pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    I read the title and thought you were letting us all know you'd arrived home ok! Lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Just wanting to make sure the watches are there when I do!

Thanks for advice. I have found a few threads now and I've dropped MarcJ a pm

Space is my issue, or rather the lack of it. I do have concrete floors downstairs which helps but not sure the better half will want a bloody great safe in our small living room, even if it's an antique.

Discrete is what's needed I think

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Thanks for advice. I have found a few threads now and I've dropped MarcJ a pm

Space is my issue, or rather the lack of it. I do have concrete floors downstairs which helps but not sure the better half will want a bloody great safe in our small living room, even if it's an antique.

Discrete is what's needed I think
    I am lucky. I have a very large area under the stairs with its own door entrance. It's used as a cloakroom. I had the safe put there out of view.

Some of these safes are quite ornate and could be sited in view but they are not to everyones taste. They do need a concrete floor.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If space is an issue, take a look at take down gun cabinets.

mike

For what it's worth I don't bother. It have a set up as follows

Thecwatches are kept away from their boxes and papers
    So if one goes the other is remaining as proof of ownership

All papers are scanned to iCloud as too pics of receipts etc where possible

The watches themselves are wrapped in felt it service cases and put in a place that even CID wouldn't find if needs be

Safe, dry etc

The boxes are also put out of view hidden away with what appears to be "crap"

If the house burns down I'd still be confident tje watches will survive