closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: South-west Ireland - where to go, what to see?

South-west Ireland - where to go, what to see?

I've got a motorbike trip lined up to visit a dive centre in Allihes (County Cork) and thought I'd take a few days to tour around the south west area.

Never been anywhere west of Cork before, so would be grateful for any suggestions of where to go or what to see please.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Skelligs
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    The Ring of Kerry. Stunning by car, more so on two wheels I imagine.

Craftsman
    Bantry and Glengariff are lovely towns. Killarney and Kinsale are bigger and more touristy but definitely worth a visit. Some great views along the sheepshead peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Skelligs
    Presumably by boat, but from where?

I've now added The Ring of Kerry to the plan and also booked a hotel in Killarney.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The Ring of Kerry is spectacular in places but very busy and loads of tourist coaches makes the drive a chore at times. Go anti-clockwise and be careful on the tighter bends...
    Or go to the Dingle peninsula, much quieter and probably more spectacular. The Beara is great too, and quietest of all, and you're there anyway.
    Kinsale for some great seafood. I find Killarney very touristy, full of Americans seeking their Oirish roots. Bantry, Glengarriff are both nice, as said above. Climb Carantouhill if you like a hike. The far south west, Skibbereen and beyond, is quiet. Mizen Head lighthouse.

another fit ring of Kerry big it totally wrecked my ML Merc back in the day

I'm in Cork next week - it's been a long time but a beautiful place

If coming back through north thevwicklow mountains etc are gorgeous and you should visit johhny foxes which I am told is the highest pub in Ireland with views to die for

Kim's ale and sunny bay

This has all been helpful, thanks. I've got a loose plan now, with some accommodation sorted and a few routes pencilled in.

Cork, Allihes, Waterford, Killarney, Tousist for the stopovers.

• Waterford – Clonmel – Clogheen – Mallow – Rathmoor
    • Kenmore – Glengarriff – Bantry – Skibbereen – Clonkilty – Timoleague – Kinsale
    • Kenmare – Caherdaniel – Ballinskelligs – Portmagee – Glenbeigh – Killorglin

• Ring of Kerry: if it's busy I'll skip it and head north and then over to Dingle

Sticking mainly to the coast but with some runs though mountain valleys, Guinness & seafood high on the menu.

R

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dingle is a lovely sleepy village worth a visit. Had three night there two months ago as part of a wedding.

When are you going?