closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Acceptable watch modding

Banned

Acceptable watch modding

I'm on a roll lol!

In the short time here I've learnt a lot. I'd say the biggest difference to the 'real world' is the passion we show for originality. Yes there are many descent homage watches we can buy, but what is considered acceptable if the intent is just to get 'a look' and save in cost?

Seems to be ok to have vintage Rolex (apologies for focusing on the brand, but it's relevant to my question) with service dial, hands, inserts etc, and although it'll never work for the purists, it's still a genuine watch. So onto my question.

I saw a Red Submariner dial for sale on a dealers forum recently and at the same time a 14060/16610. The price of both would work out less than half the price of a factory red sub, so my interest piqued. Forgetting the concerns over how it left the factory and with NO intention to pass it of so (remember life is not in wis circles) do you think it's an idea worth persuing? Obviously I'd need to check compatibility with cases etc and one last reminder it's for the look, not to be sold to some eejit on eBay.
    Last edited by sarky; 22nd July 2017 at 18:36.

I've modded quite a few watches but once I'd satisfied the strange urge to do it, every one of them has been sold on in short order. For me, once a watch isn't how it left the factory it isn't that watch any longer. I'd make an exception for replacement parts at a service but those are sanctioned by the manufacturer and although the watch isn't original it us still made up of parts deemed to be correct.

Swapping a desireable dial onto a Rolex not intended for that dial isn't really any different than Rolex replacing hands with a newer version but for some arbitrary reason it's not something I'd be comfortable with. Weird hobby, we make up our own rules for stuff that most people don't give a monkeys about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I've modded quite a few watches but once I'd satisfied the strange urge to do it, every one of them has been sold on in short order. For me, once a watch isn't how it left the factory it isn't that watch any longer. I'd make an exception for replacement parts at a service but those are sanctioned by the manufacturer and although the watch isn't original it us still made up of parts deemed to be correct.

Swapping a desireable dial onto a Rolex not intended for that dial isn't really any different than Rolex replacing hands with a newer version but for some arbitrary reason it's not something I'd be comfortable with. Weird hobby, we make up our own rules for stuff that most people don't give a monkeys about.
    The 'flash' of red is quite sexy, dare I say it and if you can gain that for a reasonable sum, plus add a more modern feel, water resistance etc., then it's something to consider.

Retaining the dial replaced leaves youbsafe for resale too.

Craftsman
    I'd go for it, and you could always change the dial back if you chose to sell it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Do it. There are no rules, just opinions. Just be sure the dial fits the movement. Not sure a Sub red dial would fit in a 14060 but it may fit a 16610, it if course being the date variant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    For me, once a watch isn't how it left the factory it isn't that watch any longer.
    Unquestioning acceptance of authority is very limiting. Try breaking the rules and live a little. Starting small can make it easier, maybe have your tea in a cup that doesn't match the pattern on the saucer.

I would say go for it even if purists may frown.

Go for it, what have you got to lose. Just keep everything good in case you need to reverse the process.

I have thought about doing this with a 5513 and replacing the Mercedes hands with Mil Sub style hands and an aftermarket 60 minute bezel
    (I think some one on this forum has one similar)
    The only thing stopping me is the fact I will know it's not the real McCoy and I know I would sell it on in short order.
    However I still think a 5513 with sword hands is the best looking watch ever made but I can't bring myself to do it.
    Nowt strange as folk!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would say go for it precisely because it will make purists frown.
    Fixed ;)

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Fixed ;)
    You are an evil person:-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You are an evil person:-)
    That's undeniable ;)

Craftsman

Acceptable watch modding

I've thought about this with a triple 6 seadweller. I was looking at the possibility of buying a cheaper gloss dial watch and replacing with a matte dial. I've never pursued it because I feel like it's cheating. What does worry me now is how many watches are out there with the wrong dials!! I guess this would also apply to 16800s

I'd like sword hands on a sub, prefer the look.
    For some time I've been toying with the idea of a black sub with sword hands, but the cost of doing it and wrecking a valuable watch that can't be changed back stops me. Only fancy doing it to a Rolex because it would be different.

Master
    A grey area for sure. Obviously an original example will be highly valued and command a high price for a reason: anything else could seem less than authentic. And yet, Rolex themselves will replace pretty much any part of the watch over the years, making it like the butcher's knife that's had the blade replaced three times and the handle replaced twice, and is still supposedly the same knife. Some of the most sought after examples are old watches and at some point the bracelet / bezel / hands or any other part may just wear out, and need replacing if it's ever to be worn again. So aside from valuing those rare, truly original examples more highly, it's hard to have hard and fast rules, apart from saying that everything should be bought, sold, and described honestly.

Personally I feel that changing out a dial in a vintage datejust is up to the owner, it's their watch, it could have had that dial. When it comes to something rarer and more prized, like the red sub mentioned in the OP, it might be harder to forget that it didn't start out this way, and would feel better in its original form to some.

In my case, I have a 1018 that temporarily has a 1016 service dial, it's a rare watch in itself and the only reference where the dials are completely interchangeable. For me it's a feature of this watch that this is possible, and it could always be changed back. I also have a '67 GS self-dater re-dialled with a black dial, which is incorrect as only the reissue had a black dial option. Clearly the original dial was marked, and this allowed it to live again - better than letting an otherwise beautiful watch go, I think. I'm not sure I could have a red sub that wasn't a red sub though, it would keep reminding me of the fact every time I looked at it.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd July 2017 at 11:45.