closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there any gamers on this forum?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    The Sidewinder2 was better I thought. (Mine ended up in a skip) 
    Admittedly, I never owned the Sidewinder 2, but the 1 had a better grip on the left. That thing had serious feedback motors, with some kick to them, and I liked the large area on the left side that I could use to hold it onto the desk with my left hand while taking cannon hits to my tailplane.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Admittedly, I never owned the Sidewinder 2, but the 1 had a better grip on the left. That thing had serious feedback motors, with some kick to them, and I liked the large area on the left side that I could use to hold it onto the desk with my left hand while taking cannon hits to my tailplane.
    Yeah the feedback was seriously beefy. I seem to recall I got mine for Tachyon : The Fringe or something . Great for Crimson Skies ( serious advantage in online play). Really came into its own on Battlefield 2.

I had one of those "Predator" gaming pads for the left hand (put all the fps controls under one hand with a dpad for the wsad movement controls. That was a serious advantage in Counter Strike , my game improved massively with that baby.

Master
    My first console was an Atari 2600 and I've been gaming ever since so that is around 40 years now. Had loads of PCs, console and handhelds in my time plus Unix games like Larn, Rogue etc. I'm currently in the Xbox camp having been a beta tester for Xbox live with the original Xbox (of which I had two), then 5 Xbox 360 (only 1 had RROD - the rest were traded in or up) and now 3 Xbox One. Traded a One for a One S so I actually have 2 Xbox One in house. Will be looking to get a Xbox One X this Autumn when it comes out.

Master
    Probably because of my upbringing but I associate video games with Christmas and Easter. I usually have a console around and a new game. Last year I had a very nice time with Uncharted 4 and Doom on the PS4.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Probably because of my upbringing but I associate video games with Christmas and Easter. I usually have a console around and a new game. Last year I had a very nice time with Uncharted 4 and Doom on the PS4.
    Games aren't just for christmas, games are for life!
    Last edited by seffrican; 23rd July 2017 at 15:56.

I haven't gamed seriously since Wizball on the Atari ST.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

In our house we have a PS4 and a Xbox one S, The Last of us on PS4 was the last game I thought was really good, I've managed to complete it twice.

Master
    Does clash of clans count?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    been gaming for years, from the JK2 jedi knight days, fast forward to now playing BF1, BF4 and Battlefield Hardline, PC gamer only, and would not touch the console games.

gaming handle - TrooBrit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I haven't gamed seriously since Wizball on the Atari ST.
    Games have come a long way since then. I think Battlefield 4 would be right up your street.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    In our house we have a PS4 and a Xbox one S, The Last of us on PS4 was the last game I thought was really good, I've managed to complete it twice.
    The Last of Us is a fantastic game, very emotional as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Does clash of clans count?
    I think it counts. What about Might and Magic?

Just sold my PS4, wheel and pedals and started preparing for October release of GT Sport. Enough time to buy PS4 Pro and 4K HDR monitor for my rig.

Still have my faithful PS3 as well. But use it more as a media centre these days.

Master
    Spending £1.99 on a Mastertronic game from the local petrol station. Some good , most were rubbish but often had great Rob Hubbard music.

Now its £30 and up for a game but given the work
    that goes into them its kinda understandable ... as long as they're good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I appear to buy a new gen Playstation each time just to play GTA's however the last one didn't hit the spot (maybe becoming too repetitive)

Got a Switch for the kids and bought Zelda but not got into it yet.

My C64 and Amiga days were the highlight for me when I was a kid, Last Ninja, Turrican's, Monkey Islands (11 floppy disks for MI2 and Indy if I remember right)

N64 was also a good one for hammering Goldeneye and Zelda.

I don't think I have the patience anymore if I honest though will grab red dead redemption 2 later in year
    Last edited by kultschar; 23rd July 2017 at 17:31.

I have a PS4 and I have to admit for months on end it's just a Blu-ray player, but I have got back into gaming recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Question as per title. I was wondering because every now and then some games consoles come up on SC. So, are there any gamers here, or more precisely, are there any gamers here who are prepared to admit it on a highly judgmental forum?

Yes absolutely. Gaming PC, PS4 Pro, Switch and most prior gen consoles.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I appear to buy a new gen Playstation each time just to play GTA's however the last one didn't hit the spot (maybe becoming too repetitive)

Got a Switch for the kids and bought Zelda but not got into it yet.

My C64 and Amiga days were the highlight for me when I was a kid, Last Ninja, Turrican's, Monkey Islands (11 floppy disks for MI2 and Indy if I remember right)

N64 was also a good one for hammering Goldeneye and Zelda.

I don't think I have the patience anymore if I honest though will grab red dead redemption 2 later in year
    Goldeneye, what a game! :)

Pc guy here... build a new gaming rig every year(I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest) i play mostly FPS( BF1/4/3), Dayz, GTA, Rust and recently I've got heavily in to Planetside 2 again Anything multiplayer, never play single player. If anyones on steam or origin you can catch me at: markygee79

Journeyman
    PS4 and play Destiny. Only. Other games are borring.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

Sucker for the final fantasy series. Got a PS4 just to play the last (FF15) instalment. 🙄

Yeh but only the COD series online.
    COD 3 and the first modern warfare were brilliant but since they brought in the daft exo suits where you could fly around i lost interest.
    WAW was the best imo.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    COD 3 and the first modern warfare were brilliant but since they brought in the daft exo suits where you could fly around i lost interest.
    WAW was the best imo.
    MW2 for me; I did buy infinite warfare just to get the reboot of MW though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzafaegreenock View Post
    Pc guy here... build a new gaming rig every year(I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest) i play mostly FPS( BF1/4/3), Dayz, GTA, Rust and recently I've got heavily in to Planetside 2 again Anything multiplayer, never play single player. If anyones on steam or origin you can catch me at: markygee79
    I used to play a lot of BFBC2, BF3, and BF4. BF3 is the one I recall most fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocka View Post
    I see your Destiny and raise you The Division.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    WAW was the best imo.
    MW3, BlOps2, and then it went downhill. Black Ops 2 still has a surprisingly large online player base.

XB1 here. Own a Nintendo Switch but haven't actually used it yet.

Last few games i've played for any meaningful time are Destiny/Division/Assassin's Creed/DB Xenoverse 2

Anything but FPS really. Banner Saga is my latest timesink along with Pillars of Eternity and delving back into the Baldur's Gate series.

Love pretty much anything by Atlus and Vanillaware, really superb production values. Like a bit of retro too, was modding my PAL Saturn today with a 50/60hz switch so I can play all region games now!

Master
    can't seem to play any other game than Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising.

I'm of the age where video games have pretty much been a "thing" for most of my life.

We had an early Pong-clone that connected to our TV - B&W version.

Handheld LED games - Astro Wars and that "football" one which consisted of dots.

Game & Watch LCD handheld - early Mario IIRC

Atari VCS - a quantum leap - Space Invaders, Adventure, Air-Sea Battle, Asteroids, Missile Command. Spent countless hours on that thing.

Atari 8-bit computers - got an Atari 800 (when my friends had Spectrums - spoilt b***d) - another quantum leap, and spent even more endless hours playing games like Star Raiders (way way ahead of its time), Miner 2049er, Airstrike, MULE, Boulder Dash, Archon, as well as text adventures like Zork, Hitch-hikers, Scott Adams, and RPGs like Ultima IV. Too many to mention, really. I maintain that the Atari 8-bit was the best games platform until the ST/Amiga era.

Lost interest a bit in my late teens/early 20's, although mate at uni had a Mega-drive - spents many (inebriated) hours playing Ice Hockey, Micro-Machines, Sonic and Road-Rash

In the mid-90s got a Playstation - Gran Turismo probably my favourite, but not particularly enamoured with consoles at that stage.
    Also had an Xbox for a bit (which was more competitive with PC hardware IIRC) - quite enjoyed Halo, Project Gotham, and JSRF, but again lost interest.

Got a PC (with a bit of crossover with the consoles), and found the games much better TBH, especially with the addition of a separate 3Dfx card - made games like Quake and Tomb Raider look fantastic. Quite liked the driving games of that era (Colin McRae, Screamer 2). Civ 2 was pretty good, as was Duke Nukem.

Went through a few generations of PC, so had the various incarnations of FPSs like Quake, as well as Tomb-Raider sequels.

Lost interest again, so not really played much since Far Cry, so with that being over 10 years ago, I'm not really sure what current games are capable of. My PC is a reasonable spec (as I went through a phase of transcoding all my DVDs etc, so needed decent grunt), so I think I'm only a graphic card away from being back into gaming.
    Last edited by robcat; 24th July 2017 at 08:42.

This is my sim racing rig. Unfortunately I can't afford triples for it so I have to make to with a single 27" GSync monitor and use a wireless EdTracker Pro to track my head movement. I have a second 5" display mounted to the wheel for a dashboard app I use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    This is my sim racing rig. Unfortunately I can't afford triples for it so I have to make to with a single 27" GSync monitor and use a wireless EdTracker Pro to track my head movement. I have a second 5" display mounted to the wheel for a dashboard app I use.

Nice :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Phil, I am so jealous of that set up. If I had space for a seat and wheel there'd be one in my house right now!

Some good memories in this thread, especially the Sidewinder joystick.

I've been gaming since I was a kid. First was an Amiga 500 my father bought me when I was 7; I had that right up until I was around 13 and did a lot of gaming on it, although I think my father secretly bought it so he could use it too. I also had a Game Gear (still have it), a SNES, Gameboy an N64, a Gamecube, a Dreamcast (still have it), an XBox, Nintendo DS, PS3, a PS Vita (still use it) and now a PS4. I also had a PC from the age of 13 to my late 20's. I wish I had time to game, but really don't anymore. The best game I've played in recent years is the Witcher 3. I bought the expansion packs whilst they were on offer, but hoping to upgrade to a Pro and play them when a 4K patch is released.
    Currently I'm practicing my skills at Tekken 7 and bought a Venom arcade stick as I can't stand beat em ups on a pad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Phil, I am so jealous of that set up. If I had space for a seat and wheel there'd be one in my house right now!

Some good memories in this thread, especially the Sidewinder joystick.

I've been gaming since I was a kid. First was an Amiga 500 my father bought me when I was 7; I had that right up until I was around 13 and did a lot of gaming on it, although I think my father secretly bought it so he could use it too. I also had a Game Gear (still have it), a SNES, Gameboy an N64, a Gamecube, a Dreamcast (still have it), an XBox, Nintendo DS, PS3, a PS Vita (still use it) and now a PS4. I also had a PC from the age of 13 to my late 20's. I wish I had time to game, but really don't anymore. The best game I've played in recent years is the Witcher 3. I bought the expansion packs whilst they were on offer, but hoping to upgrade to a Pro and play them when a 4K patch is released.
    Currently I'm practicing my skills at Tekken 7 and bought a Venom arcade stick as I can't stand beat em ups on a pad.
    Did you play Giana Sisters on the Amiga 500? It was my favourite for several months. Punishing as hell.

My GF adores The Witcher 3 - she's on something like her 8th playthrough at this very moment.

I'm sitting here playing The Division at the same time - we have a double battlestation so it's very companionable.

We have 4 gaming PCs between us. One laptop for travel gaming, and on spare desktop setup for when we have a guest :D

Master
    Did you play Giana Sisters on the Amiga 500? It was my favourite for several months. Punishing as hell.

My GF adores The Witcher 3 - she's on something like her 8th playthrough at this very moment.

I'm sitting here playing The Division at the same time - we have a double battlestation so it's very companionable.

We have 4 gaming PCs between us. One laptop for travel gaming, and on spare desktop setup for when we have a guest :D
    I never played it, but am tempted to get an emulator copy of it just to try out! I played so many games on my Amiga it's hard to remember all of them. Top games were Lemmings and Lemmings 2, Body Blows (was rubbish in reality but I liked it), Superfrog, Space Harrier, Chaos Engine (absolutely epic even just for the music), Robocop 3 (so far ahead of it's time, it really pushed the processing power of the Amiga to it's limits).

Sounds like it's a match made in heaven for you both! Luckily my wife is very sympathetic of my gaming habits. My 1 year old on the other hand gets very upset if she can't have a go, which in turns means I very rarely get much game time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I never played it, but am tempted to get an emulator copy of it just to try out! I played so many games on my Amiga it's hard to remember all of them. Top games were Lemmings and Lemmings 2, Body Blows (was rubbish in reality but I liked it), Superfrog, Space Harrier, Chaos Engine (absolutely epic even just for the music), Robocop 3 (so far ahead of it's time, it really pushed the processing power of the Amiga to it's limits).
    The crew that built the original Giana Sisters made a much more modern game based on the lore of the old one, it was available on Steam last time I looked. It's about as fiendishly difficult as the original, too.

Lemmings, ah, that was a real timesink game.

I like being reminded of something pushing an 8 MHz 68k with 1 MB of rAM to the limits, lol.

Sounds like it's a match made in heaven for you both! Luckily my wife is very sympathetic of my gaming habits. My 1 year old on the other hand gets very upset if she can't have a go, which in turns means I very rarely get much game time.
    Yeah, finding a gamer girl who likes the same kinds of games is a lucky break, thanks.

Look at the 1-year-old this way, in a few years you'll be playing Borderlands 15 and Payday 11 together :D

Blog Entries
    Just saw this article that some of us may recognise ourselves in:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-virtual-world

Craftsman
    just found this thread!

my psn is Khalitzberg

please add me guys :)

playing a lot of Gwent and Titanfall 2 these days but I'm up for anything.

Craftsman
    I loved computer games in my youth .The commodore 64 was the best for me with a fantastic range of games ,I even won some competitions .Then I went to uni and didn't bother any more , I got more into music and was distracted with girls and beer.I have tried games on my friends machines but never really got into it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Atari VCS - a quantum leap - Space Invaders, Adventure, Air-Sea Battle, Asteroids, Missile Command. Spent countless hours on that thing.

Atari 8-bit computers - got an Atari 800 (when my friends had Spectrums - spoilt b***d) - another quantum leap, and spent even more endless hours playing games like Star Raiders (way way ahead of its time), Miner 2049er, Airstrike, MULE, Boulder Dash, Archon, as well as text adventures like Zork, Hitch-hikers, Scott Adams, and RPGs like Ultima IV. Too many to mention, really. I maintain that the Atari 8-bit was the best games platform until the ST/Amiga era.
    Agree with robcat, for me this was the golden era of computer games, I was a text adventure fanatic and now they're too basic even to challenge the technology on my phone! (Although I did have all the Infocom stuff on there for a while, must re-load it)

Still play now, have had most consoles, skipped N64 as I was mostly in the pub in those days. Later had a 3DO and original XBOX and PS2. Branched off to Sony at that point and now have PS3 and 4 and a Wii for party games.

Mostly just play third person stuff now, waiting patiently for Red Dead 2 and will probably have a go at the mini Uncharted that's due out soon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kocka View Post

hey Kocka good taste mate!

im guessing you're waiting for destiny 2 to release??

If you could do with more fireteam members then add me on PSN :) Khalitzberg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    ... waiting patiently for Red Dead 2
    With you on that one, but not so patiently

Craftsman
    I play Quake Live and not much else. Not played consoles since my playstation1. I have a PS 3 I've been meaning to sell for years as it only had a few hours use.
    Been gaming since the 70's and for playability nothing beats the old arcade games.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by flareslove View Post
    hey Kocka good taste mate!

im guessing you're waiting for destiny 2 to release??

If you could do with more fireteam members then add me on PSN :) Khalitzberg
    Yes. Its preordered already. Will do

With you on that one, but not so patiently
    I keep telling myself that delays are fine, I'd rather they took the extra time to make the game what it should be, rather than rush it out and it be a disappointment.

That only works for so long though.....

I'm a one game man. Dota2. Free to play via steam and the world championships start tomorrow.

Yes - world championships.

And the prize pool? £22,500,000 for one tournament

There's even a movie / documentary of the first world championships 7 years ago and prize pool was only £1,000,000.

Bonkers
    Here's link to the documentary- it's actually amazing and the hype is sensational.
    http://freetoplaythemovie.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I used to play a fair amount of racing games on Playstation (2 & 3) before we had kids. Nowadays I play mainly Mario, Minecraft and Little Big Planet with my son all of which are surprisingly enjoyable. However, once a new series of Strictly Come Dancing starts I always buy myself a new game or dig out an old classic to play for a few months on a Saturday night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I'm a one game man. Dota2. Free to play via steam and the world championships start tomorrow.

There's even a movie / documentary of the first world championships 7 years ago and prize pool was only £1,000,000.

Bonkers
    Here's link to the documentary- it's actually amazing and the hype is sensational.
    Want to update us on the progress of the championships?

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I used to play a fair amount of racing games on Playstation (2 & 3) before we had kids. Nowadays I play mainly Mario, Minecraft and Little Big Planet with my son all of which are surprisingly enjoyable. However, once a new series of Strictly Come Dancing starts I always buy myself a new game or dig out an old classic to play for a few months on a Saturday night.
    Minecraft is easily one of the best games ever. Best if you can run your own server and get a few mates in to do mad things. It pulls me back every few months.

What are you all playing right now? I'm still playing The Division as much as possible before patch 1.7 hits and I have to learn the game all over again from scratch (and get all new gear, also).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a spectrum, then a megadrive. After that the PS1, first Xbox then Xbox 360. It was then I decided to move to PC. Although I new nothing about them I built a rig with an i5 3570k and a 290x MSI lightning gpu. Still have this and doing me proud.

Don't get much gaming time these days but when I do I seem to be on world of warships.

Want to update us on the progress of the championships?

Minecraft is easily one of the best games ever. Best if you can run your own server and get a few mates in to do mad things. It pulls me back every few months.

What are you all playing right now? I'm still playing The Division as much as possible before patch 1.7 hits and I have to learn the game all over again from scratch (and get all new gear, also).
    Day one of the main stage and China dominating. Signs of life from the CIS, EU and NA teams though - grand final on the 12th

Been gaming since the Acorn Electron cam out (Repton and Chukkie Egg anyone?)
    Scarily went through the house menatlly and we currently have 3 gaming PCs, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Xbox 360, PS4 and an Nvidia Shield. There is more in the attic in the form of a C64 and Amiga 600 and a ZX spectrum - god knows why I keep them.....

Craftsman
    I used to play a lot of BFBC2, BF3, and BF4. BF3 is the one I recall most fondly.

I see your Destiny and raise you The Division.

MW3, BlOps2, and then it went downhill. Black Ops 2 still has a surprisingly large online player base.
    Seffrican, add me on PSN?

do you plan to play Destiny 2?

I'm totally taking a day off work for it haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

Bonkers

I had to stop playing dota.

My wife said my mood has improved considerably since then. lol

- - - Updated - - -

It can be one of the most toxic communities -!it was suggested that it was good preparation for watch forums (j/k)

Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, I'm not on PSN. I'm strictly PC these days.

(If anyone want to add me on PC, I'm "marksmad" - short for Mark is mad, obviously! - on Uplay and Steam, "marksmad_N7" on Origin.)

I don't play Dota2 myself, but my gaming partner informs me that I shout loudest when playing Last Stand. Apparently my most used exclamation is "Seriously!!????"