closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have we all become a little too safe?

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Yes you are right there. I never bother with those chip shop posts but I loved the recent ones from Brendan re servicing vintage pieces. Maybe this is a sign of the short attention span creeping in.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    I really like the servicing threads from Brendan, really good reads and great pictures. I think the sorter attention span point is right. As time goes on younger people join the forum - more millennials - and all they want is more photos, more videos, less text! Beware the fall in average TZer age.

Master
    I am a new member, only some 4 cm, but have learnt a huge amount here. I have become aware of makes of which I was previously unaware (bear in mind that NI is a bit of a backwater, no panerai AD for example), and issues that had never bothered me (dare I use the 's' word??).
    My collection ranges from a 50 quid g shock to much more expensive items, but I just enjoy learning and discussing watches. With some humour along the way, I hope.
    Thus far is a great forum, and I was fortunate enough to escape the snide remarks as I approached the posting milestones 😀😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I am a new member, only some 4 cm, but have learnt a huge amount here. I have become aware of makes of which I was previously unaware (bear in mind that NI is a bit of a backwater, no panerai AD for example), and issues that had never bothered me (dare I use the 's' word??).
    My collection ranges from a 50 quid g shock to much more expensive items, but I just enjoy learning and discussing watches. With some humour along the way, I hope.
    Thus far is a great forum, and I was fortunate enough to escape the snide remarks as I approached the posting milestones 

That's pretty small, even for a dwarf.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

You must be knackered, jumping from key to key to type that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    That's pretty small, even for a dwarf.
    The humour to which I referred... 😆

The humour to which I referred... 

Parlez du diable et on vu les cornes
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    French and profound. Must look out for those horns.

French and profound. Must look out for those horns.

What do you mean you don't want the stickers left on!

Have we all become a little too safe?

I enjoy skimming through the Rolex posts, and I've learned a lot from them, even if all the price and AD gossip is a bit dull for me. The forum isn't 'all...too safe' though. I'd never heard of Vostok, Sinn, GS, Lange & Sohne etc. before, and they and plenty of others new to me still come up. There is always plenty to glean about straps, spares, redials (or not), buying secondhand etc. You just have to pick out what you want. Personally I'd like it if people posted more about the history behind their watches, but that might just be me - it's what I try to do anyway.

I do think it can be disheartening for people who put posts together with minority interest. Also, a lot of people rarely stray away from WT, SC and the BP.

I still think this place is unique and should be treasured, even if it isn't as good as the good old days.

I've been a member here for well over 12 years and it has certainly changed in that time.

To me, one noticeable characteristic over the last couple of years has been the sheer volume of threads devoted to Rolex, and a feeling generated from some quarters that if you don't own at least one Rolex you haven't 'arrived', somehow.

Now before anyone gets on their high horse, let me be clear...I have nothing whatsoever against Rolex, I think they're a fine watch brand with excellent products. I just found it really interesting that when I published my 'Detailed SOTC' thread a little while ago, I had a number of responses from people who were clearly amazed that I had a mature (I hope), interesting (ditto) and well thought out collection that didn't include a single Rolex. The absence of no other brand was remarked upon.

I think the fact that the OP is toying with LW is just great - I am a huge fan of diversity in everything and if I could afford to (i.e. money in the bank, not concern for residuals!) I'd be very tempted by the Linde Werdelin SpidoLite All Titanium currently for sale on Chrono24 in Helsinki. I also fancy a Felix Baumgartner Striking 10th Zenith, and I imagine the residuals on that probably aren't great - again, it wouldn't stop me buying it if I wanted to.

Simon

Blog Entries
    It's interesting, given the topic of this thread, to see what's happening elsewhere in this sub where someone suggested that the lume on a particular Seiko is brighter than that on a Rolex. The knives came out pretty fast, and show no sign of being put away any time soon. No wonder people play safe if that's the kind of reaction that they risk in opening a discussion or expressing an opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    It's interesting, given the topic of this thread, to see what's happening elsewhere in this sub where someone suggested that the lume on a particular Seiko is brighter than that on a Rolex. The knives came out pretty fast, and show no sign of being put away any time soon. No wonder people play safe if that's the kind of reaction that they risk in opening a discussion or expressing an opinion.
    Well yes, and all I said was that the grand Seiko had a couple of better traits.....just an opinion based on owning GS and Rolex divers. For that I was described as 'crap', a 'fool' and 'idiotic'. You are simply not allowed to have an opinion which is mildly different.
    Mind you, won't stop me. I know most people on TZ don't behave like that.we should have plenty of differing opinions, it's part of any hobby. No-one is 'right' about matters of personal experience and judgement.
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th July 2017 at 11:15.