closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golfers only post - Don't believe the hype.

Golfers only post - Don't believe the hype.

As a result of retiring I have decided to start playing again and join a club, and what better way of doing this but to lash out £600+ on a new set of iron to replace my old Calloway x14 which are about 18 years old.

Anywhoo, off I toddle to American Golf to try all the new clubs including the new ping G400 and after about an hour I have settled on either the Taylormade new M2 or the Ping G400. I did some more ball hitting and was surprised to see that both 7 irons (I was only hitting 7 irons) were about 10-15 yards longer than my old 7 iron.

Although impressed I decided to do a bit more research and guess what. Looking specifically at the M2 7 iron found that it's loft is 28.5 degrees - which amazingly is almost the same as the 28 degrees which I have on my X14 FIVE iron. This perhaps explains why I hit the M2 further. My x14 7 Iron is a weedy 33 degrees which is the same as the M2 8 iron.

However if this was not bad enough the M2 PW is lofted like a 9 iron at 43.5 degrees but the SW is the same as my old X14 at about 54 degrees - hence will also need a gap wedge (not included within the price of the set so add another £95!)

Hence I have decided to stick with my old X14's and replace the 3 iron with a 21 hybrid (which back in the day was called a 7 wood). I also have to replace my old Cobra Trusty Rusty lob wedge as it's now illegal - which is a bit of a shame

Sorry if you golfers already knew this, but it was a massive shock to me , and thought I would share.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Lofts on new irons have been getting stronger for a while as part of the distance race and yes it's a cheap trick so to speak however.... if you match the right shaft to your swing (think of the shaft as similarly important to choosing the right engine in a car) then a stronger lofted 6 iron will be easier to hit than a similarly lofted 5 iron so there is a gain worth having. It's also psychologically beneficial for lots of golfers to feel they hit it further with each iron.
    If your shafts were suited to your swing years ago then it's likely they are less so now. Technology has advanced too re sweet spots and iron performance however in some instances the gain will be marginal so maybe not worth changing.
    I'm a low single handicapper who used to think club fitting was not worth it. Having gone through a proper fitting I was wrong. It can make a big difference with irons and in my experience particularly with the driver; greater accuracy, more carry and distance. Just a few thoughts.

I play off 6 and the only two things I care about when buying clubs are 1) do I like the look of the clubs and 2) assuming I do I make sure I get the right shaft in my clubs.
    I had a Ping G driver but tried a Taylormade with a completely different shaft which felt fantastic. Ping wanted £260 just for the shaft so I bought the Taylormade driver and 3 wood with the shaft I liked, at no extra cost, and got 20 yards further than my Pings.
    i don't care for marketing jumbo or what lofts my clubs are etc just do the ones I have help me get the best out of my game.

Grand Master
    As above, lower lofts have been in a few years now, but due to the mass being lower on the club, you still hit them just as high as older models, the increased distance tends to be down to lower spin rather than lower lofts, they tend to also still have similar lengths to the older clubs, so a 7 iron with 30 degrees of loft will still be shorter than an old 6 iron with 30 degrees of loft.

You were also trying out two of the biggest game improvement irons on the market, other clubs still have normal lofts, but aren't as forgiving on off centred hits. I had a fitting last year with the a couple of game improvement irons and a couple of slimmer cavity backs with 2-3 degrees more loft, i found that i was hitting them lower on more occasions, that's something that the GI irons do give you, better chance of getting it in the air.

Master
    If you believe the club companies hype every time a new 15 yds longer driver comes out then we would all be driving 500 yds.
    If your irons still work then stick with them. I got new irons last year and they certainly made a difference

How about getting the x14s rehashed with new shafts, grips and the getting the grooves recut/checked out.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    How about getting the x14s rehashed with new shafts, grips and the getting the grooves recut/checked out.

Or get the new Callaway Epic irons, only £1750 out the box!

I tried the x14 and M2 on an actual range and found that the M2 were no more forgiving than the X14. The only difference I saw was length -which was down to loft and height (which I assume was down to the the shafts.

I do actually like the idea of re-shafting the X14 and replacing the current Rifle shafts, but I would then be looking at a similar cost to simply replacing the irons.

Decisions.

If only I could buy a new swing :-)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I tried the x14 and M2 on an actual range and found that the M2 were no more forgiving than the X14. The only difference I saw was length -which was down to loft and height (which I assume was down to the the shafts.

I do actually like the idea of re-shafting the X14 and replacing the current Rifle shafts, but I would then be looking at a similar cost to simply replacing the irons.

Decisions.

if you like your X-14's what about the new Steelheads from Callaway as they're modelled from the X-14?

i think many iron sets now have stronger lofts in game improvement clubs because technology has allowed them to be as forgiving and you get the combination of playability and distance. If you look at purists clubs like Miura or other bladed clubs then the lofts are weaker in comparison.

An Iron re shaft is likely to be good option.

You may wish to have a conversation with Jason @ Golf Principles based in Basingstoke. He has a ton of knowledge and a great studio. He can provide you with some good advice as to what might suit your game and your budget.

Well worth a call and a visit and not too far to travel for you either.

He replaced some TT x100 tour dynamic gold from my Vega Irons and replaced them with some KBS tour 90 and that has made a big difference to the feel, club head speed and ball dispersion.

Enjoy

http://golfprinciples.co.uk/

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes1 View Post
    An Iron re shaft is likely to be good option.

You may wish to have a conversation with Jason @ Golf Principles based in Basingstoke. He has a ton of knowledge and a great studio. He can provide you with some good advice as to what might suit your game and your budget.

Well worth a call and a visit and not too far to travel for you either.

He replaced some TT x100 tour dynamic gold from my Vega Irons and replaced them with some KBS tour 90 and that has made a big difference to the feel, club head speed and ball dispersion.

Enjoy

http://golfprinciples.co.uk/

I have used Jason in the past - for a set of PXG irons.

As above shaft is key.

Game improvement clubs have become ridiculously strong over the years.

Banned
    For higher handicappers I'd recommend not choosing at the end of one test session. I find my golf varies so much (I play off 18) from each round, so what would work one day may not another. A decent pro-shop or store wouldn't mind and you'll hopefully end up with more rounded clubs.

I've a 15 year old set of Mizuno irons and so reluctant to change them, but it's getting to that stage.

Blog Entries
    I recently purchased some Miura MB-001's and for me it's not about how far each club goes compared to the old ones, (CB 501's) it's a combination of the feel off the clubface, the ability to control the ball and how they look at address, as was mentioned before the shaft makes a massive difference. I tried a number of different combinations and the difference in ball flight/spin and ability to control the ball varied massively.
    Last edited by ditchvisitor; 22nd July 2017 at 11:35.

Master
    One tip I would give anyone trying out new irons is to make sure and hit some shots off the turf.
    You can narrow your selection down on a simulator but there is nothing like hitting shots off the turf to see exactly what suits.
    I would also say if you have a handicap in double figures then a 5 iron would be as low as you should go.
    Replace 3 & 4 irons with hybrids.

Cool

I like the idea of PXG & Muira..... both great product providers.....

I tried a PXG driver on Trackman the other day and liked the feel....

Opted for a TM M2 Version 1, 9.5 degree that Jason had acquired for me in February with a UST Mamiya Atlas G7....... It got built on Thursday....

We shall see how that goes.....

Get the lie angles fitted to you when reshafting and you could be in a better position than you would be with a new set.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes1 View Post
    I like the idea of PXG & Muira..... both great product providers.....

I tried a PXG driver on Trackman the other day and liked the feel....

Opted for a TM M2 Version 1, 9.5 degree that Jason had acquired for me in February with a UST Mamiya Atlas G7....... It got built on Thursday....

We shall see how that goes.....
    I too like the idea of PXG and had a fitting for them but at £2k just for 7 irons I just couldn't justify the price despite loving the head shape and feel from the club.

£700 for one wedge!!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I too like the idea of PXG and had a fitting for them but at £2k just for 7 irons I just couldn't justify the price despite loving the head shape and feel from the club.

£700 for one wedge!!!

I just spent 60 quid on a MD3 58* wedge, i thought that was a bit steep for an ex demo!

Being serious though, things like PXG or Miura irons are something i've never been interested in, the reality is that although technology has changed, the limits they build clubs too has either reduced in the last few years (MOI and COR), or is the same, so the reality is that one set of clubs is similar to another in performance, but so many have poor fitting clubs (shaft too heavy or light) that they struggle. The one thing that does separate them is quality and looks though, i do think PXG do look nice.
    Last edited by Argee1977; 22nd July 2017 at 12:48.

Blog Entries

£700 for one wedge!!!
    I use Adam and Duncan at Core Golf in Thame and they have the new PXG irons and wedges in, they make my rather expensive Miuras look a positive bargain!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I would also say if you have a handicap in double figures then a 5 iron would be as low as you should go.
    Replace 3 & 4 irons with hybrids.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. I flip flop between 15 & 16 and the only wood in my bag is my driver. I have irons up to and including 2 all of which I am capable of striking well ((assuming I am not playing like a donkey) but I am much more random with hybrids or 3/5 woods.

Master
    As a non player how can a club be illegal? Surely its just a bit of iron to hit the ball as far as possible and/or as accurately as possible. No one minds which club you use when (do they?) except maybe on a green, so how does it make a difference?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    As a non player how can a club be illegal? Surely its just a bit of iron to hit the ball as far as possible and/or as accurately as possible. No one minds which club you use when (do they?) except maybe on a green, so how does it make a difference?
    There's a lot of regulations to make sure that golf clubs do not remove skill from the game, but some older clubs predate some of these rules, so are illegal. This includes drivers with Coefficient of Restitution ratios greater than 1.5, wedges with grooves outside the limits (square grooves, etc) and putters that anchor on the body to name a few.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    This you can do. A lot of lessons + practice/commitment/time and you will be amazed at the results !

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I also have a set of Miura baby blades that I do not really use - but I love them.

Heard good things about Core golf.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    I also have a set of Miura baby blades that I do not really use - but I love them.

Heard good things about Core golf.
    I've played my friends baby blade, lovely clubs but as the name suggests they are rather small!! I would highly recommend Core Golf, a highly professional, friendly and personal service with a lot of knowledge and no BS!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    For higher handicappers I'd recommend not choosing at the end of one test session. I find my golf varies so much (I play off 18) from each round, so what would work one day may not another. A decent pro-shop or store wouldn't mind and you'll hopefully end up with more rounded clubs.

I've a 15 year old set of Mizuno irons and so reluctant to change them, but it's getting to that stage.
    I was in the same boat - thanks to some great advice from Deepreddave I ended up changing my 20 year old Mizunos and it has made the world of difference. My golf has really come on and I'm off 7 now. That's an incredibly tough handicap for me but I like a challenge 😀

Change your irons you'll be amazed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    My golf has really come on and I'm off 7 now.
    Good work that man! Category 1 is just around the corner 😀

Some good stuff above. I can only reiterate what has been said above. Get fitted, and don't be a brand junky. I play off 15... as a disabled golfer I rely on a fitter who understands what I need. We are all shapes and sizes and all have different swing paths, and with age we lose our swing speed. My fitter is Lee Porter based at Hylands in Essex. Lee will not sell you a club, unless he thinks it will improve your game. He also works closely with a training professional in getting the most out of the club. Buying from American Golf and Clubs shop (or the dreaded ebay) often ends in disappointment. Lee fitted me with Cobra Max woods which are offset. He cut the shaft length on the driver and extended it on the 4 wood. I lost maybe ten yards on my driver distance but am 90% of the time on the Fairway now.
    Last edited by wildheart; 27th July 2017 at 08:36.

Getting fitted at Ping in Gainsborough tomorrow so will let you know how that goes. My coach has basically begged me to go get fitted and not labour with current clubs due to my size and I have finally relented as Ping are 30 mins away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Following up that post I had a great time at Ping and the fitting process was very thorough and very relaxed with no expectation to purchase. Could try out any clubs I wanted, even ones that were obviously meant for people with far superior skill sets. Only downside was that I was getting fitted next to someone who was clearly a scratch golfer and my efforts looked pretty uninspired next to his......but hopefully the new clubs I bought will push me along. Highly recommended

Master
    @Ben - good to hear. Just need another post in 12mths time confirming the handicap reduction :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendigits View Post
    Following up that post I had a great time at Ping and the fitting process was very thorough and very relaxed with no expectation to purchase. Could try out any clubs I wanted, even ones that were obviously meant for people with far superior skill sets. Only downside was that I was getting fitted next to someone who was clearly a scratch golfer and my efforts looked pretty uninspired next to his......but hopefully the new clubs I bought will push me along. Highly recommended

Sounds good, guessing you've got a new set of G400s coming in, i'm away to get a fitting next week as my irons are looking a bit stressed these days, i need them regripped as well so thought i'd just bite the bullet and see what is out there, after trying the mizuno jpx 900s i'm hoping they come out on top again, but i think the G400 could top them going by what a few mates have said, even seen a couple of the lower handicappers moving to them which is unusual these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Sounds good, guessing you've got a new set of G400s coming in, i'm away to get a fitting next week as my irons are looking a bit stressed these days, i need them regripped as well so thought i'd just bite the bullet and see what is out there, after trying the mizuno jpx 900s i'm hoping they come out on top again, but i think the G400 could top them going by what a few mates have said, even seen a couple of the lower handicappers moving to them which is unusual these days.

The titlest 718 are getting very positive reviews. Might be worth a look.

I had my first lesson (in 15 years) last week and am dropping my hands inside on the downswing (really shallows out my swing). So I need to fix this and then decide what's next.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Been to ping a few times , remember the first time I went to have a driver fitted and they just gave me a handful and sent me down to the driving range at GGC ! Had a few sets adjusted there too over the years . Current set is an old set of pings that I can't really bin off
    Last edited by P ELLIS; 26th August 2017 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    JPX 900's are lovely clubs. You should consider the Callaway Apex CF16 too, awesome clubs. Depending on the kind of money you're willing to spend wait for the Titleist T-MB to come out, available as a full set over here for the first time and stunning clubs.

Grand Master
    JPX 900's are lovely clubs. You should consider the Callaway Apex CF16 too, awesome clubs. Depending on the kind of money you're willing to spend wait for the Titleist T-MB to come out, available as a full set over here for the first time and stunning clubs.

Yeah, i was a fan of the CF16s when they first came out, but after hitting the 900 forged it's pretty much going to be them, unless something else proves to be a lot better with the numbers, the titleist are lovely, but way over my budget, did think of getting a 3/4 in the T-MBs last year but again, too expensive.

Golfers only post - Don't believe the hype.

Yeah I went with the G400 but almost the I200 as I hit them really well. I tried the Mizuno's a few weeks ago and they were really nice but I was so consistent with the G400 and my ball flight was great so I settled on them.

Last edited by Bendigits; 26th August 2017 at 17:04.