closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man killed for his Rolex in London

Instead of deploying unmarked scooters around London or decoys, it seems London's "finest" are more concerned with deploying such resources to catch naughty motorists who don't give cyclists enough room.

London is a cess pit. I wouldn't live or work there if they paid me. I rarely visit unless absolutely vital.

Master

Thumbs up

Well I have heard this "the police won't give chase if they remove their helmets" line a few times. If it is indeed true and they stop for fear of the thief dying, surely they have this round the wrong way (as usual with our pussy footed 'justice' system).

They need to be changing that bit of legislation then, if they're willing to steal expensive belongings and/or kill people we should be glad if they get splattered under a bus!

And as for someone mentioning that it's unlikely they'll be targeting watches, I'd say it's getting increasingly likely by the day with the inflated value of these things! It's kind of surprising it's taken this long for people to say don't wear xyz. Trouble with Rolex is they are a pretty effective currency, you're effectively saying "I have £10k here on me"

But it's the wrong attitude we have in this country, it should be carry on and the authorities will come down hard on these scum. Instead it'll be don't wear your watch. Trouble with this attitude is a thief will then be looking at nicking 10 phones instead of a Rolex, it doesn't stop them stealing if that's their trade.

And god forbid if you're a bit handy and kick the crap out of a thief demanding your Rolex! You'll be inside faster than the police can say "would you like to press charges mr thief?"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BenN View Post
    As someone noted earlier, this is a case of moral panic. Whilst it is a terrible and horrific incident that was reported in that article, you need to realise just how rare this kind of thing is. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry to say, but this is a moral panic based on a very significant uptick in crime recently, there's hard statistical evidence as reported in The Times this morning. It's not just silly season journalism. It's a panic based on some relatively new trends such as scooter gangs and carrying acid. Muggers are nothing new, but trends spread fast, and a bunch of idiots are catching on fast to the fact they won't be chased on scooters, and they are getting bolder by the day. It's not an easy problem to fix, but unfortunately, there's no reason to think it will change unless the response changes.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I simply do not believe that people are riding round on mopeds looking for watches to steal. A wallet or cash are far more tempting targets, for obvious reasons.
    Indeed, in thirty years in London I never met anyone who had been robbed of their watch. Working in the media, I am all too aware of how exaggerated 'moral panic' can be. Especially in the summer, when news slackens.
    The acid attacks are vile. And must be stopped. But as the story gets old, the attacks will die down too. In truth, crime is lower than it was twenty years ago.
    The greatest danger in London....being run-over.
    Unfortunately sir, you are quite naive if you don't think these scrotes target people for their watches. Many cases reported in the west end of London and most recently I saw a clip of 4 men on 2 scooters stealing a guys watch from within he's Porsche macan whilst he was in stationary traffic. I personally think they will take what they can when they see a potential victim, with a prized watch being top of the list. Why would a moped rider demand your wallet with minimal cash and worthless bank cards when they can take that all too obvious Rolex and probably get a few thousand at least?

One such scrote met his end I think it was last week... no loss there then

We should all don our tin-foil hats, move to the Outer Hebrides and live like Hermits with our watches permanently locked away in safes out of sight.

This is unquestionably a very unfortunate and unpleasant incident, which is becoming too commonplace nowadays, but I still think a large handful of perspective needs to be maintained.

The population of London is around 9 million, or around 12-18 million if you include the metropolitan areas too (depending on what defines 'resident'). Add into that the volume of commuters which travel in from further afield and the numbers are staggering. On average 250,000 people move through Waterloo station every day.

These are still relatively isolated incidents. Besides, I also know people who have been mugged in London who were NOT wearing Rolex watches! One was to steal their glasses, another was for his bicycle which was worth around £50!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Nope. I'll keep well doing as I like. I'm not going to let a bunch of scallywags dictate how I live my life.
    all well and good, but Risk vs reward, Why risk your life to prove a point to have "look at me I am hard" on your grave stone !
    It's really a non issue to wear another brand while in London and to get no hassle.

London has fallen.

Master
    On average about one person per 100,000 is murdered in London....New York, seen as quite a 'safe' city, has a murder rate five times higher. You are ten times more likely to be killed or seriously hurt in a traffic accident in London than be murdered.
    Crossing the road is far more dangerous than wearing an expensive watch. But perceptions are rather different.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can you imagine if you killed someone for their watch and it turned out to be the new Steinhart BLNR?!
    Errrr- No... because I wouldn't kill someone for their watch.

You're attributing virtues to scum who don't have any, unless I missed some irony in your post. I don't for one second think someone who would kill someone for any watch would give a shit if it turned out to be a fake. They'd probably be annoyed they didn't get the real thing, but killing someone wouldn't register on their emotional radar.

Shoulder hire razor wire Stingers sound like the way to deal with these people to me...

M.

Master
    Crossing the road is far more dangerous than wearing an expensive watch. But perceptions are rather different.
    But you can avoid (a lot of the time) being killed crossing the road, it's your choice to take care. Being specifically targeted and murdered shouldn't be drawn in comparison to an accident IMO

On average about one person per 100,000 is murdered in London....New York, seen as quite a 'safe' city, has a murder rate five times higher. You are ten times more likely to be killed or seriously hurt in a traffic accident in London than be murdered.
    There is a huge difference though between and accident happening, and being deliberately targeted and robbed.

Hello

Hello...this is Watch Talk, "Primarily for discussion of watches and accessories"...?

The OP wasn't far off, but we seem to have got into G&D/BP territory.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    But you can avoid (a lot of the time) being killed crossing the road, it's your choice to take care. Being specifically targeted and murdered shouldn't be drawn in comparison to an accident IMO
    It seems to me that it was the relative risk of the 'outcome' (ie death and not going home to your wife/children/family) that is being compared in the post, not the 'action' which caused that outcome.

Besides, are you honestly suggesting that people who are killed by vehicles 'choose' to die by being careless?
    Seems a bit naive.

Master
    So what happens if one crosses the road wearing a Rolex?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    all well and good, but Risk vs reward, Why risk your life to prove a point to have "look at me I am hard" on your grave stone !
    It's really a non issue to wear another brand while in London and to get no hassle.
    I'll do as I like thanks. If I was too scared to go outside wearing my watches then I'd never have bothered buying them. It's got nothing to do with being hard. You enjoy your life of fear :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    So what happens if one crosses the road wearing a Rolex?

You look left, then right and left again and if clear walk across. It really is quite safe. I have done it in London thousands of time and here I am untouched.

I'll do as I like thanks. If I was too scared to go outside wearing my watches then I'd never have bothered buying them. It's got nothing to do with being hard. You enjoy your life of fear :)
    In the same way as it has nothing to do with being hard it also has nothing to do with "fear", at least if you mean in the sense of perceived danger to the individual.

I have some watches that I value for sentimental reasons. Replacing them "like for like" with a different watch of the same model would be meaningless. I enjoy having them and wearing them but I don't see the point of taking unnecessary risks with them.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    In the same way as it has nothing to do with being hard it also has nothing to do with "fear", at least if you mean in the sense of perceived danger to the individual.

I have some watches that I value for sentimental reasons. Replacing them "like for like" with a different watch of the same model would be meaningless. I enjoy having them and wearing them but I don't see the point of taking unnecessary risks with them.

The actual risk is low, very very low.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Exactly. People reading this thread and thinking they should no longer wear their watches out should probably put it in perspective. Mountain out of a molehill comes to mind. There is a chance of death every time I cross the street (especially in London where red lights appear to be purely advisory) yet I do it anyway.

Man killed for his Rolex in London

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Of course it is, but risk is subjectively assessed by each individual.

The beauty is surely that we can each choose to do when wearing (or not) our watches?

First of all no one deserves to be attacked or worse for their possessions.
    However, too many people walk, cycle or drive with no awareness of their surroundings. Headphones and cellphones make people oblivious and easy targets. If we are living in dangerous times as someone has said then conduct yourself accordingly.
    There are predators out there just waiting for the foolish to present themselves as bait.
    Don't be one of those victims, read up and take on board advice available.

I do agree that people should be able to wear what they want, however the risks are real and there is a danger it could always turn out nasty.
    When my watch was stolen on reflection I was just pleased it was not more serious, as I did put up a fight not just handing it over.
    The reality is we all know what type of scum it is carrying out these kind of robberies, yet they are rarely arrested, when they are the sentence is so minor they are back out in no time. It's clear when living in London these people have zero respect for anyone, or anything just walking around the streets or on buses is frightening watching the behaviour.
    I think the law should be made far more severe with much longer sentences and some form of hard labour, not the leisure camps we call prisons!
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 21st July 2017 at 18:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Besides, are you honestly suggesting that people who are killed by vehicles 'choose' to die by being careless?
    Seems a bit naive.

I think you've read what you wanted there because I didn't say that. I basically said that some people (not all) don't take care and that's their choice. Obviously I'm not talking about a car losing its brakes and mounting the pavement here. I drive a fair bit in London, a lot of people do choose to play with death by putting themselves in danger. I'd hazard a guess the majority of 'accidents' up there are avoidable with a bit more common sense from some lemmings.

You've only got to watch one Royal Jordanian video to see how many people he could kill in a few hours of riding!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You look left, then right and left again and if clear walk across. It really is quite safe. I have done it in London thousands of time and here I am untouched.
    I was going for the humorous angle there......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The recent run of terrible stories can't help but make you think, and statistics in the Times this morning seem to back it up. These moped robberies have been building for a while, after police were told not to chase them in case the riders crashed, endangering both themselves and the public. I hope the police will be allowed to chase them again in future though, and if the muggers get injured in the process that's perhaps unfortunate, but it would strike me as an occupational hazard. They do have the option to stop when asked, after all. Letting them get away with it certainly isn't helping.

It won't change what I choose to wear personally, but I already keep my eyes open and think about what I'll be doing and where. I've certainly had situations where you suddenly become conscious that you're wearing something nice and it disappears up the sleeve. If I'm out drinking in a dodgy neighbourhood, my choices change. Something tells me they won't be able to identify a vintage Grand Seiko, while I can still enjoy wearing it.
    So Police can't chase criminals in case the criminals get hurt?

Is it me or what?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Is it me or what?
    It's true. Sad, but true.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    I think it's at a point where the risk to the public by not chasing and apprehending these lowlifes is greater than any risk to the public from a pursuit related incident. I couldn't give two hoots about whether the moped mob live or die, at least during a chase there's going to be blues and twos which should put nearby members of the public on alert. The alternative is more knifings, hammer attacks, acid attacks etc so it's not like their current policy is working - quite the opposite in fact.
    Agreed.

The issue is these people on stolen high power mopeds (350-500cc) take off their crash helmets the second police give chase. Once there is a sincere risk to human life the police are not allowed to chase.
    And that is surely absurd, if really so.

I've heard this said but do you have any references to where it is stated as an absolute policy?

Someone on a big powered motorbike fleeing the police without a crash helmet is at risk of a collision and as a consequence, death.
    Yes. Surely this is a feature, not a bug. I.e. It is a desirable and beneficial outcome if crime prevention is the issue.

If anything goes wrong the police can and will be arrested, charged, and sentenced for causing death by dangerous driving.
    I don't quite believe that, unless there is evidence that the police were genuinely negligent. Chasing an alleged thief who has chosen to remove their own helmet is certainly not negligent by any rational definition since the fleeing suspect has the ability to stop at any time.

Blog Entries

Is it me or what?
    It does beggar belief, doesn't it.

Insane though the bureaucracy of the status quo increasingly is, I can't help but think that the real policy (it must be stated somewhere) is more nuanced and slightly more sensible than that. Nevertheless, I very much hope that the welfare of a fleeing suspect (who could easily stop fleeing at any time) is NOT taken into account at any stage in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    And that is surely absurd, if really so.
    Mixture of a few sources but all correct.

If you watch the met police documentary on iPlayer they have an entire episode on it. Chasing a moped, rider takes off his helmet, chase ended.

There was an hour on this subject on LBC radio earlier where about three serving police officers called in and voiced their frustration and confirmed the above.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...-chase-coroner

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ind...336.html%3Famp

Blog Entries
    Mixture of a few sources but all correct.

If you watch the met police documentary on iPlayer they have an entire episode on it. Chasing a moped, rider takes off his helmet, chase ended.

There was an hour on this subject on LBC radio earlier where about three serving police officers called in and voiced their frustration and confirmed the above.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...-chase-coroner

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ind...336.html%3Famp
    Thanks. Will watch.

If so, then it is utterly absurd. Who is responsible for such a cretinous pro-crime policy and are they still in a job?

Two weeks ago, three yoofs riding a stolen moped being chased by police in London suburbs. Yoofs crash, one ends up in hospital. All three arrested for carrying knives and suspicion of robbery - and the police involved reported to Police complaints commission!
    This is why the police are nervous to engage potential criminals. They get investigated.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ith-police-car

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

This would be the downside of those great residuals

Master

Man killed for his Rolex in London

Thanks. Will watch.

If so, then it is utterly absurd. Who is responsible for such a cretinous pro-crime policy and are they still in a job?
    I believe it's someone called Teresa May! Used to be Home Secretary apparently...
    Last edited by Itsguy; 22nd July 2017 at 07:21.

One of the floral tributes to Henry Hicks, pertinent to WT:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Hello...this is Watch Talk, "Primarily for discussion of watches and accessories"...?

The OP wasn't far off, but we seem to have got into G&D/BP territory.

Totally agreed. Very sad for the victim, however to many guesses as to the motivation for the attack and risks associated.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I shouldn't imagine it's just wis circles who are aware of the residuals/value of a Rolex nowadays. Sadly it must be easier and more profitable to steal and sell a Rolex than a car or burgled TV's and computers etc. I left London 2 years ago, too many people crammed together with a widening gulf between the haves and the have-nots. I think there's a lot of glamorising our capital city - I haven't missed it for a second.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I shouldn't imagine it's just wis circles who are aware of the residuals/value of a Rolex nowadays. Sadly it must be easier and more profitable to steal and sell a Rolex than a car or burgled TV's and computers etc. I left London 2 years ago, too many people crammed together with a widening gulf between the haves and the have-nots. I think there's a lot of glamorising our capital city - I haven't missed it for a second.

Agree with the above, second hand value of "clean" consumer goods is pretty minimal, so a stolen TV or laptop would be worth very little. A Rolex is easily concealed and transported and would have a high cash value, even stolen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I believe it's someone called Teresa May!
    Whilst metaphorically bashing Theresa May is always satisfying, do you have a reference to her specifying or encouraging the policy?

Master
    The issue is these people on stolen high power mopeds (350-500cc) take off their crash helmets the second police give chase. Once there is a sincere risk to human life the police are not allowed to chase. Someone on a big powered motorbike fleeing the police without a crash helmet is at risk of a collision and as a consequence, death. If anything goes wrong the police can and will be arrested, charged, and sentenced for causing death by dangerous driving. There is no exemption for dangerous driving during a police pursuit. This is why moped crime is so rampant in London at the moment, it's almost a risk free crime.
    This is driving me mad. They are scooters, not mopeds. Mopeds are 50cc and have a top speed of 30mph.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GScorcho View Post
    These moped thieves/thugs are getting completely out of hand. The London police has got to get their act together with this issue fast, I can't understand why the cops are not taking this issue more seriously!!! Be careful with you watches guys and don't flash them around too much. It not worth losing your life over a watch even though it may be our pride and joy!

As a senior plod pointed out last week, they are not "moped" thieves (see previous post too, they use scooters not mopeds), they are just thieves who used to use bicycles or just rob people then leg it.

So the reporting in the press about "moped" thieves being on the increase is just your normal over-excitement and misrepresentation of facts.

Yes, the number of pikeys robbing people then escaping on scooters has increased but the overall number of pikeys robbing people hasn't really changed much

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    This is driving me mad. They are scooters, not mopeds. Mopeds are 50cc and have a top speed of 30mph.
    As a senior plod pointed out last week, they are not "moped" thieves (see previous post too, they use scooters not mopeds), they are just thieves who used to use bicycles or just rob people then leg it.

So the reporting in the press about "moped" thieves being on the increase is just your normal over-excitement and misrepresentation of facts.
    I agree that being called mopeds makes the crime seem less serious than it is but to be totally correct (and pernickety) a moped is restricted and 50cc. Once you derestrict a 50cc moped it legally becomes a motorcycle. So the reality is all of these thefts are motorcycle related.

They either order something from Just Eat or Deliveroo and then rob the delivery guy's Honda PCX 125 or go out and steal their bike of choice the Yamaha T-Max which is a 500cc maxi scooter which is easily capable of 100mph. From a stand still they accelerate quicker than my 1200cc. When they're caught they receive the most minuscule of sentences.

I have a fully kitted R1200 GSA and riding in central London is a nightmare. You just can't afford to be sat at the lights in neutral because they appear so fast and out of nowhere. Really not looking forward to my renewal quote in a few months.

In Edmonton they now use mopeds for street level drug deals with one person sat on the back without a helmet so they're protected and can go about their business in broad daylight. Disgusting.

More fun reading: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sta...006.html%3Famp

Master
    Whilst metaphorically bashing Theresa May is always satisfying, do you have a reference to her specifying or encouraging the policy?
    Here it is: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...4f9ac0dc8c215e

Though this doesn't actually mention the policy of not chasing scooters, I was reading about it elsewhere and could have combined them.

To those saying it's all imagined, it doesn't feel like it where I'm living. A girl I know was dragged along the pavement by scooter muggers. Yesterday someone was robbed in this way on the street immediately outside my house. The recent acid rampage was all within a mile or two. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but I've lived in London all my life and this is a new pattern.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 22nd July 2017 at 15:13.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I do agree that people should be able to wear what they want, however the risks are real and there is a danger it could always turn out nasty.
    When my watch was stolen on reflection I was just pleased it was not more serious, as I did put up a fight not just handing it over.
    The reality is we all know what type of scum it is carrying out these kind of robberies, yet they are rarely arrested, when they are the sentence is so minor they are back out in no time. It's clear when living in London these people have zero respect for anyone, or anything just walking around the streets or on buses is frightening watching the behaviour.
    I think the law should be made far more severe with much longer sentences and some form of hard labour, not the leisure camps we call prisons!
    +1 on that.

I think it's disgusting when people say 'you shouldn't have been wearing it' or 'what do you expect when you have nice valuable things in your house'. There's no excuse for these scumbags and people shouldn't imply it was partly the victims fault for having nice/expensive things.
    Penalties should be harsher and we should worry about the welfare of victims not the lowlife who commits the crime.

Master
    +1 on that.

I think it's disgusting when people say 'you shouldn't have been wearing it' or 'what do you expect when you have nice valuable things in your house'. There's no excuse for these scumbags and people shouldn't imply it was partly the victims fault for having nice/expensive things.
    Penalties should be harsher and we should worry about the welfare of victims not the lowlife who commits the crime.
    There was a report the other day that said that overall about two thirds of property theft (robbery, burglary, vehicle theft, theft from a vehicle) is never never solved, mostly as far as I can tell because it never gets investigated.

I had my car broken into to take about 3 quid that was in the centre console. I remember thinking, why would you break into a car for 3 quid till a friend noted that I was looking at it the wrong way. The answer is, if you're a thieving scrote, why wouldn't you do it - you'll never be caught, or even investigated. These are more or less risk free crimes now for the perpetrators.
    Last edited by berin; 22nd July 2017 at 19:34.

Master
    Nope. I'll keep well doing as I like. I'm not going to let a bunch of scallywags dictate how I live my life.
    Well said that man!

Blog Entries
    There was a report the other day that said that overall about two thirds of property theft (robbery, burglary, vehicle theft, theft from a vehicle) is never never solved, mostly as far as I can tell because it never gets investigated.

I had my car broken into to take about 3 quid that was in the centre console. I remember thinking, why would you break into a car for 3 quid till a friend noted that I was looking at it the wrong way. The answer is, if you're a thieving scrote, who wouldn't you do it - you'll never be caught, or even investigated. These are more or less risk free crimes now for the perpetrators.
    No crime should be classed as trivial or not worth investigating. Zero tolerance.

I'm intrigued.......

Do you have a burglar alarm that you set every night?
    Do you leave your front door unlocked at night?
    Do you leave ground floor windows open at night?
    Do you leave your doors unlocked if you go out for the day?
    Do you leave your wallet in an open jacket pocket if in a city?
    Do you bother to lock your car in the supermarket carpark?

See - I suspect that you and most others, already perceive 'risk' more or less - correctly/accurately, but for some reason want to appear "blasé" when it comes to watches.......

But - it's all your risk to assume, not mine

Al

Master
    Nowhere is safe!

Two men pushed a fisherman into the river and then stole his fishing bag which had his Rolex watch inside

"The Rolex watch is an old style, one he has had for over 20 years and wears all the time. It is of great sentimental value to him and he is devastated by its loss."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'm intrigued.......

Do you have a burglar alarm that you set every night?
    Do you leave your front door unlocked at night?
    Do you leave ground floor windows open at night?
    Do you leave your doors unlocked if you go out for the day?
    Do you leave your wallet in an open jacket pocket if in a city?
    Do you bother to lock your car in the supermarket carpark?

See - I suspect that you and most others, already perceive 'risk' more or less - correctly/accurately, but for some reason want to appear "blasé" when it comes to watches.......

But - it's all your risk to assume, not mine

Al
    No
    Frequently
    Don't have them
    Quite often
    Always
    Often don't bother

I also leave 25k of watches on my coffee table while away from my flat for months at a time. I don't have any form of insurance, content, fire, or other. I take the risks because in reality they are miniscule :)

And the things you've listed are completely different. Locking a door makes no difference to how I live my life. Not wearing something I own is a completely different issue.
    Last edited by hafle; 22nd July 2017 at 19:24.