closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Austin 12.5 Kaye's GMT

Master

Austin 12.5 Kaye's GMT

I've dealt with AK a few times and had good experiences.

They have listed a 1967 GMT Master ref 1675 for £12,500.

It looks a nice example: original matte dial, case seems in reasonable nick, original hands, and an Oyster bracelet that may be the original or may not (depends on whether there's a typo in the listing).

If it was listed for £8k I could understand, given how they tend to price watches. But £12.5k?

It's not a PCG case
    It doesn't have a gilt dial
    It doesn't have the universally desired box and papers
    No mention of a famous owner or unique history

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It's called a bandwagon. Everybody's pushing to see what the market will acccept, especially London dealers who have tourists flocking to buy from them thanks to the exchange rates.

All the GMT's seem to have risen massively over the last couple of years. Combine that with prime location and high rents and there is your answer. They know their market though and Rolex stuff rarely hangs around, so I suspect that's the market value if you're after a good late 60's GMT from a central London bricks and mortar dealer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    It's not a PCG case
    It doesn't have a gilt dial
    The case has been polished into oblivion - Look at the state of those lug holes!
    Even at 8k I'd have avoided it.
    At 12K, I'll snort into my coffee and shake my head.

Master
    Head-shaking was my first reaction .

Master
    Makes me wince as I swapped a PCG (with service replacement dial and hands) along with another 1675 for a new 116610LV four years ago.
    Glad I kept some of my other watches now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Makes me wince as I swapped a PCG (with service replacement dial and hands) along with another 1675 for a new 116610LV four years ago.
    Glad I kept some of my other watches now.
    Ouch.

I respectfully disagree with Dougair's view that this is now the price for a late 60s 1675 from a dealer in London. I haven't seen anything close to that in the last couple of years. Mike Wood listed a similar watch for £8750 a couple of months back and it is only in the last week or so that somebody reserved it. OK, he's in Southport not Strand, but still--that's a huge gap.
    I suspect Wayne is right. AK are sending this up as a trial balloon. Perhaps somebody has noticed the insane prices that gilt dials are going for now, and wants to narrow the spread between gilts and the mattes that followed them.
    It will be interesting to see how long that watch remains on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Ouch.

I respectfully disagree with Dougair's view that this is now the price for a late 60s 1675 from a dealer in London. I haven't seen anything close to that in the last couple of years. Mike Wood listed a similar watch for £8750 a couple of months back and it is only in the last week or so that somebody reserved it. OK, he's in Southport not Strand, but still--that's a huge gap.
    I suspect Wayne is right. AK are sending this up as a trial balloon. Perhaps somebody has noticed the insane prices that gilt dials are going for now, and wants to narrow the spread between gilts and the mattes that followed them.
    It will be interesting to see how long that watch remains on sale.
    No problem, but it won't be there in a week, I'm fairly sure of that.

Craftsman
    The watch is a 1967 year model, this will be bought on a whim for someone's 50th birthday present.

Craftsman
    That case has been polished to death

Master
    Yes, and yet the listing represents it as an untouched case