closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Business Cards,

Master

Business Cards,

I'm in the throws of starting a new venture and the designer we had used previously with my wife's business is no longer contactable which is a pain as to date we haven't found a paper stock that matches my wife's pre existing business cards, which have always drawn a favourable response.

I've ordered a sample pack from moo and a few other places but have nothing matching yet.

What believe from comparing the current card to the samples is we have a stock that is above 400gsm, and has a velvet finish.

I wonder if there are any knowledgeable folks who know about such paper stock and finishes or have any recommendations for high quality lower volume business card printing?

Thanks in advance,

Si

I'm sure one of the members has his own print business.
    Can't remember the name (I'll keep thinking on it) but hopefully he'll chip in...

Moo's cards seem to be good quality and well priced.

If you're looking for a new designer I'm available. If you want a match for the paper stock the best thing to do would be to send one of your wife's cards to a printer and ask them to match the stock. It could be literally one of hundreds based on your description.

I've a few sample books from the major paper merchants and the choice is endless.

buy 100 basic cheap cards from vista print, then you will get a "special rates" deal as an existing customer.
    100x = £9.99 less 25% discount = £7.49p (7.5p each) if you can use all 3 promo codes listed here - VPTOPDEALS / ANY100 / BC25
    http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/offers.a...60089194&GNF=0

Your next batch should be much cheaper.
    I am still using 1,000 cards I bought for less than £20 a few years ago (<2p each)
    Last edited by Reeny; 20th July 2017 at 13:59.

Master
    We buy from www.stationery-direct.co.uk/19 - double sided laminated 400gsm silk art matt laminated £19 for 500.

Feel substantial and do the job, too much credence is given to business cards they're a throw away item that needs to convey contact info. But I am a little jaded by them as my CEO has me do a new design or style of business cards virtually every month!
    Last edited by LuBee; 20th July 2017 at 14:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I'm in the throws of starting a new venture and the designer we had used previously with my wife's business is no longer contactable which is a pain as to date we haven't found a paper stock that matches my wife's pre existing business cards, which have always drawn a favourable response.

I've ordered a sample pack from moo and a few other places but have nothing matching yet.

What believe from comparing the current card to the samples is we have a stock that is above 400gsm, and has a velvet finish.

I wonder if there are any knowledgeable folks who know about such paper stock and finishes or have any recommendations for high quality lower volume business card printing?

Thanks in advance,

Si
    I worked for the Royal Mail and was their Purchasing Manager for print from 1986 - 2002. I had more trouble with business cards than any other product because everyone in the world wants a perfect and I mean a totally perfect card to display for business purposes. They all moaned about every trivial imperfection.

The main problem from your point of view will be that although you may have a contract (big or small) no one will commit to an order. No one knows how long 100 business cards are going to last, so the next order is guesswork. Also a firm may give you a contract but quite often someone in the company will use another preferred supplier down the road without telling the purchasing dept who don't really care anyway because of the low value.

To remain competitive, you may have to produce backing sheets and then over print the name and details of the person for whom the card is intended. That is fine as long as the orders come in and that's where the problems start. You could end up sitting on a pile of pre printed paper. If you print exclusively to order, then you are in a cut throat industry competing with every one from professional printers to WH Smith who print small batches on demand.

The main thing is not to make business cards and headed paper your main source of income because if you do, the odds of survival are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    buy 100 basic cheap cards from vista print, then you will get a "special rates" deal as an existing customer.
    100x = £9.99 less 25% discount = £7.49p (7.5p each) if you can use all 3 promo codes listed here - VPTOPDEALS / ANY100 / BC25

I am still using 1,000 cards I bought for less than £20 a few years ago (<2p each)
    This - or give them a (free) call and ask about the particular card, format etc and there's usually a knowledgeable person (in Tunisia!) who will be able to help. They can also negotiate with you for a price, free freight etc etc..........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post

Also, only order half of what you need. They always offer a double up deal once you've paid so it's a good way to cut the cost.

Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately Vistaprint are not anywhere near the type of card we want.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Moo's cards seem to be good quality and well priced.

If you're looking for a new designer I'm available. If you want a match for the paper stock the best thing to do would be to send one of your wife's cards to a printer and ask them to match the stock. It could be literally one of hundreds based on your description.

I've a few sample books from the major paper merchants and the choice is endless.

Thanks for the offer Chris but we have the designer aspect covered.

Another vote for Vista Print.Actually ordered some last night.Express postage is expensive but If you are in no hurry then no issue.I need mine ASAP so stumped up the £12ish they wanted.And bought a holder at the same time.

I currently get mine from Moo cards. Not the cheapest but some excellent quality options and I like their on line DIY design function.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

If you need to go for quality you could contact my eldest son's business..

www.titanprintmanagement.co.uk

What he doesn't know about print isn't worth knowing. Tell him Dad sent you.

Alternatively if cheap and cheerful will do you can't go wrong with Vistaprint as mentioned earlier.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

You are Patrick Bateman and I claim my £5.00.

Banned
    Please think also very hard about the content.

Use the space to sell your business - the days of just a name and contact details are long gone

In today's digital age, they're often not given out as much as you think, so go for quality rather than quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I currently get mine from Moo cards. Not the cheapest but some excellent quality options and I like their on line DIY design function.
    +1 for MOO.

I use them for business cards, postcards and prints. Always been happy with their quality, service and value for money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    If you need to go for quality you could contact my eldest son's business..

www.titanprintmanagement.co.uk

What he doesn't know about print isn't worth knowing. Tell him Dad sent you.

Alternatively if cheap and cheerful will do you can't go wrong with Vistaprint as mentioned earlier.
    Cheers Neal I may just do that, whats his name?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Cheers Neal I may just do that, whats his name?

It's James.

He'll look after you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh, my God. It even has a watermark.

Craftsman

Business Cards,

Don't know if they have what you want but instantprint have a good range of quality paper at reasonable prices.

I have used them a few times and been happy with the results.

This may not apply to your situation, but the paper stock, fonts, etc. that are optimal for one business may not be ideal for another business. Different industries, customer types, etc. call for different marketing approaches and business cards.