closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jura PR stunt - watch into space

Journeyman

Jura PR stunt - watch into space

Surprised not to have seen a thread on this - anyone else been getting the emails from Jura about them putting a Seiko Astron 'into space' (i.e. strapped to a large helium balloon)?

Happening now apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by gee_cee View Post
    Surprised not to have seen a thread on this - anyone else been getting the emails from Jura about them putting a Seiko Astron 'into space' (i.e. strapped to a large helium balloon)?

Are you sure it's not just the owner's warranty card?

I'd (honestly) love to see a diver watch sent into the depths of the ocean. Whether Seiko/Citizen or a Swiss watch. Maybe even a micro-brand...

Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    I'd (honestly) love to see a diver watch sent into the depths of the ocean. Whether Seiko/Citizen or a Swiss watch. Maybe even a micro-brand...
    See here...

Master
    Brilliant!

Sorry, what are the doing - sending it beyond the Karman line or down into the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Sorry, what are the doing - sending it beyond the Karman line or down into the ocean?
    Looks like they are sending a Seiko Astron into space, quote from their website; "we will be using a helium filled balloon to catapult the payload into the air, rocketing upward into the sky at around 300 meters every minute!"

Looks like it can be found by any tom, dick or harry and they get to keep it. I'm not sure if it's landed but the tracking has been deactivated so it must be within 5km of the earth.

I like that idea, but if they did it with a diving watch it would be research purpose only unless there was a way of winning the watch after? I'd like to see a Sinn U2 or something down in the ocean.

Master

It’s down to earth and our back garden is in the search area full fingertip search made with assistance of our pooch no sign of a watch now off for a long dog walk wish me luck !

Quote Originally Posted by gee_cee View Post

Not exactly a new idea. Yema were doing it three months ago, in an effort to flog over-priced limited editions of their new SpaceGraf - a pretty fugly quartz watch (powered by Ronda Cal. 515.24) that commemorates the spaceflight of the 10th French astronaut, Thomas Pesquet.

https://yema-montres.squarespace.com/spacegraf

Order your Spacegraf Special Edition Stratosphere limited to 200 pieces now.
    YEMA PROPOSES YOU A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE:
    Your Spacegraf will fly a Stratospheric flight using a specific balloon that will reach about 35 km above the Earth.
    Each watch will be numbered and engraved with the date, altitude and temperature recorded in flight,
    and delivered with a stratospheric flight certificate.
    A link to download the video of the flight will be sent to you by email.
    * Each session takes place as follows:
    - Launch in the stratosphere of a meteorological balloon
    - 20 watches are placed in the stratospheric balloon
    - A camera films the flight and its evolution in the stratosphere
    - A data logger measures altitude, Temperature and pressure
    The limited edition versions are 1000 / 1050 Euros each compared to 349 / 399 Euros for the standard 'unflown' versions.

Needless to say, they weren't exactly impressed over on ForumaMontres:

http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/...yema-spacegraf

Indeed, when Yema's marketing manager had the temerity to poke his head in, at the top of page 4 of the thread, they certainly didn't hold back. Worth a read, if just for the laugh at his expense.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 22nd July 2017 at 15:52. Reason: Forgot to include the Yema website link

Of course, they were allowed to laugh because Yema wasn't generous enough with praise and backhanders to Zen. Otherwise the mods would have stifled free speech from the beginning.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Brilliant. Wish it was near me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    See here...

Fantastic! Both performed way beyond 3,000m; conservatively rated at 1,000m then.

Blog Entries
    Hmm.... on Jura's website at https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/pages/...e-live-updates it states that "The height acheieved (34km) is the same sort of altitude which satellites orbit the Earth". No it most certainly is not the same sort of altitude at which satellites orbit the Earth!

34 km is about 18 miles or 111,000 feet, which is way below satellites. The lowest satellites orbit at around 200km, around 120 miles or 650,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Not exactly a new idea. Yema were doing it three months ago...
    Indeed. Davosa did this way back in 2013....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=3sdHpFACXTw

Nevermind this publicity stunt, Jura should jettison their entire online sales team into space following the levels of service that I received when recently buying a Heuer Autavia from them. A two-month wait (when originally told it would be a couple of weeks) and zero communication on their part throughout the whole process. When it finally did arrive it looked like it had been packaged by someone wearing boxing gloves who should have gone to Specsavers, as I told them.

Apologies for the rant but wanted to get it off my chest and took the opportunity in a Jura-based thread! 😡