closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When does a "tool" watch become a vintage piece?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Of course it will do - it mirrors yours! :D
    His tone was very mild. It disturbed you because?
    Because his opinion contradicted yours?
    I can see you're one of those bandwagon jumpers. Ever thought of trying something yourself.

The day I justify an industry accepted point to a fella who asks about shoe sole material on a watch forum, is not close.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    I can see you're one of those bandwagon jumpers. Ever thought of trying something yourself.

The day I justify an industry accepted point to a fella who asks about shoe sole material on a watch forum, is not close.
    I asked a simple question and you made a very very simple statement. There is a big difference between asking a question and making a rubbish statement that you cannot back up.

Bandwagon?

What industry would this be?

Lighten up eh kid - you get your shirt in a knot too easily - this place is for discussion, not sulking.

Remember that and you'll enjoy it here. :)

Well there's a lot of categories. Antique watches are 100 yrs plus apparently but vintage is more clouded. What I mean by that is that there are more than one definition of vintage in horology. Whilst it could be argued rightly or wrongly that a vintage piece should be 25 yrs old at least, personally I feel the term does not refer to the watch but rather to the era in which it became popular so a swatch from the early 80s could be considered vintage whereas a submariner from the 80s would be more likely NOT to be considered vintage? Does that clear things up or just confuse the issue further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    They make a darn sight more sense than your ill informed rubbish. For a start, try looking up the word vintage in the dictionary.

I realise that you could retort with saying the language is constantly evolving blah blah blah but to make an incorrect word the foundation of a definition is just plain dumb.

The main objection is that it is just puffery.
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but must admit using terms like dumb and rubbish seems slightly unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    the term does not refer to the watch but rather to the era in which it became popular so a swatch from the early 80s could be considered vintage whereas a submariner from the 80s would be more likely NOT to be considered vintage? Does that clear things up or just confuse the issue further.

A good angle.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Well there's a lot of categories. Antique watches are 100 yrs plus apparently but vintage is more clouded. What I mean by that is that there are more than one definition of vintage in horology. Whilst it could be argued rightly or wrongly that a vintage piece should be 25 yrs old at least, personally I feel the term does not refer to the watch but rather to the era in which it became popular so a swatch from the early 80s could be considered vintage whereas a submariner from the 80s would be more likely NOT to be considered vintage? Does that clear things up or just confuse the issue further.

Antiques are pre-Reform Act only. At least that was the rule when I was growing up ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No it is not.

Some people say a Rolex (yes I am talking Rolex) is vintage is when the model is 4 figures. Others say when the lens is acrylic, others give a cut off date. I have even heard that it is vintage if it has lug holes. The simple truth is that a lot of people have different ideas. To call something vintage when it is just 25 years old is plain daft. The only reason it is done is so that some money grabbing dealer can ask more for it because it has the vintage label on it. It benefits dealers and no one else.

You can only call something antique if it is proven to be over 100 years and that is how it should be with watches.

It is kidology and bullshit.

Sorry Mick. Just because you think something doesn't make it true.
    Try Google. It tells you things.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Antiques are pre-Reform Act only. At least that was the rule when I was growing up ;)
    Well perhaps but the 100 yr thing was borne out of the hunt for import duties by the USA Customs Office. Duty was collected on anything younger than 100 yrs apparently.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    For what it's worth. I consider plexi to be vintage, sapphire and trit to be on it's way and luminova to be modern.

But in case it's eluded you, "generally accepted" doesn't necessarily mean what I think or what you think no matter how much bellowing you intend to do on the subject.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Try Google. It tells you things.
    Not about shoes!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure you can still be omniscient and not know how to adequately clad your feet when partaking in your secondary hobby of walking on water.

Sort of.

Banned
    I like you Verv.

I'm looking to create a friends list larger than an ignore list, but it's tough here.

sarky, the comments about you in the Bear Pit are mostly positive. You seem a good fit for this forum.

Welcome!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    sarky, the comments about you in the Bear Pit are mostly positive. You seem a good fit for this forum.

Welcome!
    Another one - I'm on a roll

Another one - I'm on a roll
    It appears that, by being the enemy of some people's enemies, you are (currently) their friend.

Blog Entries
    I'm looking to create a friends list larger than an ignore list, but it's tough here.
    Ignore list for me, please, sarky.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    It appears that, by being the enemy of some people's enemies, you are (currently) their friend.
    All a bit serious bongo - it's a watch forum, not that it's easy to tell sometimes.

So, verv and Ally are on the most wanted list?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Ignore list for me, please, sarky.
    I think it's my list isn't it, but feel free to clone my log in and add yourself.

All a bit serious bongo - it's a watch forum, not that it's easy to tell sometimes.

So, verv and Ally are on the most wanted list?
    Eh? I think you overthink... Bedtime maybe?

Master
    Sorry for not coming back, I popped out for a curry.

It is obvious that there is no consensus on either what term should be used, when it should be used and even if we have different dates for different models.

The start of this little squabble was the rather flamboyant reference to "Those with any real knowledge of the hobby would agree 25 years or older is correct." So the simple unanswered question which sarky still will not answer is - who are these knowledgeable people and where is the evidence. If he had said something like verv had said - "The accepted consensus is that a watch becomes vintage at 25+", then there would not have been any flak because an opinion is different from stating what appears to be a fact.

My position is unchanged, a 25 year old watch is nothing more than a 25 year old watch and that is purely an opinion. There is nothing wrong with anyone coming in with another opinion as long as it is not put across as a fact.

sarky, I think you'll fit in here but you're attracting a lot of attention by shooting from the hip so early.

It's either a sign you've been here before or you've sussed the forum quickly. Either way, welcome.

There are other parts of TZ that will unlock if you can keep your powder dry for long enough.

There's only one mod and he sees everything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    sarky, I think you'll fit in here but you're attracting a lot of attention by shooting from the hip so early.

It's either a sign you've been here before or you've sussed the forum quickly. Either way, welcome.

There are other parts of TZ that will unlock if you can keep your powder dry for long enough.

Thanks.

I'd say the best thing I've learned this far is to use the ignore function for those members who are rude, or simply set in a wrong mindset. Currently there's only three. I was rude after being baited, but to a member caught in the crossfire, for which I've apologised by PM. Didn't get a reply, but one tries.

I'm happy to be judged by anyone who can make a call on that judgement, which I understand is one man, however, I see nothing said which warrants any contact in that regard.

Blog Entries
    I think it's my list isn't it, but feel free to clone my log in and add yourself.
    It was a request, not a demand, hence the please. Also, now it's not hacking, since I have your explicit permission ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

Sounds like Masonic Lodge

Sarky - stop using this thread for an argument and a way of bumping up your thread count. There are other sections of the Forum for bickering.

And other TZ'ers, its about time you also remembered the appropriate forum etiquette.

My question was less about establishing when something becomes vintage e.g. 25 years old or more, such as SD I'm considering, but whether you would still consider it a tool watch as it was originally intended, or treat it more respectfully, as you might do a vintage?

Thanks to those who have stayed on topic and provided their thoughts.

Banned
    I like how the mods introduce themselves here. Thanks.

Getting involved in this forum is impossible. You're new, so can't have an opinion and if you post more than once in a blue moon, you're bumping your count. The only reason to bump a count is to access parts of the forum I've no interest in. The BP I keep being told about sounds like a gang of bullies and I wouldn't buy a watch here, as most seem to have a pretty poor knowledge of the timepieces they sell.

That said, Watch Talk is pretty tedious, based on the reception so far.

I'm not a Mod but the thread creator, and forum etiquette should be respected by all. Watch Talk, especially someone else's thread, is not for personal insults, which this thread degenerated to. To all - start your own threads elsewhere if you want to bicker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I'm not a Mod but the thread creator, and forum etiquette should be respected by all. Watch Talk, especially someone else's thread, is not for personal insults, which this thread degenerated to. To all - start your own threads elsewhere if you want to bicker.
    Well, thanks for now opening the telling off to all. I made a reasonable contribution in my opinion to the topic posed. I'll respect your view as the OP, however, that doesn't entitle you to moderate the content. As for etiquette, it's sadly lacking here.

Did you settle your own mind as to what the term tool watch means to you?

Journeyman
    Casting aside the negativity of the term "tool", at what point would people feel that something in that category e.g. Sea Dweller, goes from tool to vintage? Regular servicing would I have thought preserved much of the integrity of the watch, but is there a point at which one would start treating it more gently and not dive etc? I ask as I am considering a pre 90s piece, and don't want to have to treat it any differently to a new one.
    I'm not sure this affects anything other that dive watches (there doesn't seem to be inherent risk in continuing to use a chronograph for what it was intended), but for me, it would be the point where, if water got in, or the bezel/insert got damaged, and the repair was either impossible due to lack of parts, or would seriously devalue the watch (service dial rather than original).

It's a shame when something stops getting used for it's intended purpose, but unless you're in a position where you could essentially afford to write of a watch, then that's the point I'd stop, for example, diving or swimming with a vintage diver.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Then there is:

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    You'll get tons of different answers Paul but I've always thought 25 years sounds right.

It instantly becomes vintage when listed on eBay.

Master
    Good for you.......this has turned into a series of flounces.

Life's too short!

I like how the mods introduce themselves here. Thanks.

Getting involved in this forum is impossible. You're new, so can't have an opinion and if you post more than once in a blue moon, you're bumping your count. The only reason to bump a count is to access parts of the forum I've no interest in. The BP I keep being told about sounds like a gang of bullies and I wouldn't buy a watch here, as most seem to have a pretty poor knowledge of the timepieces they sell.

That said, Watch Talk is pretty tedious, based on the reception so far.
    Bursting in the front door of a house and shouting "Hey everybody, I've arrived, and I know better than you!" is unlikely to immediately endear a new member to those who have been here far longer.

I would caution against comments such as "most seem to have a pretty poor knowledge" - the knowledge base of TZ is unbelevably deep and profound concerning watches, and many other areas without any doubt whatsoever. In fact it is a mine of insight and experience in almost any field you can think of. Just try a post in the George and Dragon requesting some advice on any obscure topic you like.

Getting involved in this forum isn't impossible at all - many do, everyone here had a first post, and a second, and over time came to appreciate it's uniqueness.

Watch talk goes through phases, it has been in a Rolex phase for a few years now, and I would love to see more variety, but hopefully it will return in due course.

I hope you enjoy your time here. Best wishes.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of variety banana when can we have a nose at some of your weird and wonderfuls? I remember the sc threads and have always wanted to see what remains if the leavers are anything to go by.

Banned
    Many thanks FB for constructive words.

I know I can be loud, but there really is a bullying culture here and those should be made aware of it. My reference to those with little knowledge were to those afore mentioned bullies, who contribute nothing other than a dig. Being sworn at through the private messaging system by an established member who doesn't know one end of a watch to the other is unacceptable. I can see the knowledge base here is good and in time will no doubt benefit from that.

Many new guys will leave and not return and some of you established members wouldn't be doing wrong looking at it from our side of the fence. Member for a decade or a day, no one deserves the stick being dished out by some. Thankfully, not everyone is like a mouse, but that's another reason to get 'shouted' at.

.. there really is a bullying culture here and those should be made aware of it.
    No there isn't. A few members are rude sometimes.

. Being sworn at through the private messaging system by an established member who doesn't know one end of a watch to the other is unacceptable.
    Indeed it is and not tolerated by almost everyone here.

I still think I'm new but I've been here about 2 years now. 'Loud' is fine. 'Witty' even better (and you've made me laugh). 'Informative' is brilliant. 'Impatient and demanding' tends to lead to early burnout.

Just my observations.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    No there isn't. A few members are rude sometimes.

Indeed it is and not tolerated by almost everyone here.

I still think I'm new but I've been here about 2 years now. 'Loud' is fine. 'Witty' even better (and you've made me laugh). 'Informative' is brilliant. 'Impatient and demanding' tends to lead to early burnout.

Just my observations.
    Many thanks for your thoughts. I disagree (obviously, it's me) with the bullying aspect - it's something the internet is still hiding behind - but it's here.

I'm happy to be informative, but tough when you're fighting constantly. Your comment and the previous one are what communities are all about. Shame I had the rude lot the front of the queue!
    Last edited by sarky; 21st July 2017 at 14:41.

What a load of rhubarb. Who has come up with that - what knowledgeable person has defined that 25+ years is vintage. For a start their knowledge of the English language is rather poor.

A 25 year old watch is simply a 25 year old watch.
    Can anyone join in? Re your question (without a question mark), please see my post at #81.

Then, you say "their knowledge of the English language is rather poor". I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    If it is a tool, you would have it serviced, and all necessary parts may be replaced in order to continue working as intended. This will include crown, tube, crystal, pushers etc.
    If it is a vintage piece, you may (perfectly correctly) consider that leaving some, or any, of these service replacements in place is preferable, because to do so retains its integrity as a vintage piece.
    At that point it has ceased to be a tool, and become a vintage watch.
    So look at the one you re going to buy, and consider a service on it. If you would be happy to get a service agent to replace all the bits they want, prior to testing, then it is still a tool. Because you are treating it as such and maintaining its tool abilities.
    Otherwise, no.

D
    Not sure about that distinction, Dave. if I used a watch as a tool, had a multitude of parts replaced/renewed and then listed it for sale as vintage, what would your reaction be?

To my mind there are some key factors that define vintage, the main (and possibly only) two worth thinking about being age and availability.

Can we please, finally, stop the non-watch discussion.

The original point, for anyone who's lost the thread of what was supposed to be discussed, was 25-year old SD, serviced: Treat as tool or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    First step would be "Retro" say 15-25yrs.
    Retro has nothing to do with age - it's an adjective that describes a STYLE of the past. As in, a new item imitating an old style.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Pressure test, fresh spring bars, treat as tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I wear a 32 year old seadweller every day, partly because it is beautiful but also because it has a sapphire crystal. I am generally careful but the time it spends on my wrist it is inevitable that it will get the odd knock but it is still unmarked. My plexi seadweller rarely gets much wrist time in an attempt to keep it as pristine as possible.
    Damn you, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not sure about that distinction, Dave. if I used a watch as a tool, had a multitude of parts replaced/renewed and then listed it for sale as vintage, what would your reaction be?

To my mind there are some key factors that define vintage, the main (and possibly only) two worth thinking about being age and availability.
    I agree, good point Tony, but the point I am making is that, regardless of age, if the capability is there and maintained, it can be called a tool and used or treated as such. It may well be a vintage tool, that is perfectly possible. But, if you are maintaining vintage originality at the price of functionality, the tool aspect is gone, and it becomes a vintage piece only.

Make sense? Hope so

Dave

Gotcha, and yes - makes perfect sense.

Sorry OldHooky.

My Father-in-Law ran a business for 30 years that often saw him working outdoors in all weathers, sometimes in quite physical situations. He wore the same Datejust every day for about 25 years because he need a reliable, robust watch that just worked whether he was in a boardroom or a field of mud with 50,000 people. I'd say he always saw it as a tool watch even though it would be vintage by most people's understanding now. It stayed all original throughout that time.

Tool and vintage are not mutually exclusive.
    We see some senior members prove the point every day:-)

The meaning of vintage, very much depends on the product. Even quite new things could have the term 'vintage' appended to them especially if they are no longer produced.

Take iPods for example.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...tors-item-ebay

Now I must go and check what I have done with my iPod that still had its original packaging and 'origami' box.

Mitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Damn you, Bob
    I know Tony Ime just a tart!