closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek Philippe 5167A Case Restoration

Threaded View

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Patek Philippe 5167A Case Restoration

I'm 64 years old now and I guess well on my way to popping the clogs.
    I'm told that the way to keep the mind active is to take on a challenge or two.
    Since I'm not into parachute jumping or white water rafting, the next best thing is to try to revamp a well battered Patek Philippe 5167A watch case.
    A risky challenge because cock it up and you're looking at mega money for PP to put it right:

The glass has to be removed in order to grain the case top.
    The front glass is octagonal and 0.80mm thick. I have a guy who hand makes glasses for me but he would struggle to make one to accurately fit the nylon gasket and form a water tight seal on this watch. A new glass from PP would likely cost over £300.00.
    The back glass is just as tricky as it is two sizes in one, stepped, to fit both inside and outside diameters of the caseback.

If I mess the front shaped gasket up trying to remove it the same expense arises.
    I put the case with glass gasket in an ultrasonic tank with plenty of warm water mixed with ammonia and fairy liquid. After about an hour the gasket lifted itself out of it's bezel recess unharmed. Phew !
    I then polished the octagonal case bezel and lugs.
    With 180 then 400 emery stuck to lollypop sticks I grained the case sides. I used to eat a lot of lollies til I discovered that you can buy the sticks at The Range !
    With a flat sheet of 400 emery stuck to a breadboard I grained the case top by sliding it up and back by hand.
    The deployment clasp was straightforward.
    Although not factory perfect I think the case now looks much improved.

This job took about 8 hours on and off.
    And not one Valium passed my lips !

Brendan(webwatchmaker)
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 20th July 2017 at 08:47.