closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Could this wristwatch REALLY save your life?

Apprentice

Could this wristwatch REALLY save your life?

Hi everyone,

My first post on here so I thought, I’d share my new vid from my YouTube channel. It’s my take on the Breitling Emergency series of watches.

I did a fair bit of research (some on these very forums) and I hope you enjoy it!

I look forward to getting stuck in on the forums here having been a collector since my late teens and I’ve built up a fairly varied collection which also features on my channel.

Thanks and best wishes!

It's only the yellow-faced ones that save your life - I thought everyone knew that?

There is something iconic about the 'Emergency' even though it is seldom worn for it's design intent (a bit like seadwellers etc) - but still enjoyable to own and wear.

Al

Craftsman
    Thanks for that Paul, really enjoyed it. I have often wondered how the watch works, what is really inside and what that old fashioned radio looking thing was that came in the box!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It's only the yellow-faced ones that save your life - I thought everyone knew that?

There is something iconic about the 'Emergency' even though it is seldom worn for it's design intent (a bit like seadwellers etc) - but still enjoyable to own and wear.

Al
    Yes I love the iconic look of the watch but couldn’t stretch to the yellow or Orange. The Emergency ‘Mission’ variant offers the best of both worlds IMHO.

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Thanks for that Paul, really enjoyed it. I have often wondered how the watch works, what is really inside and what that old fashioned radio looking thing was that came in the box!
    Thanks, it really is something special. There’s a few more detailed video’s on YouTube including a video that’s also supplied in the case on DVD.

My research indicated that in the first variant at least, the transmitting element of the watch was made in France by plane maker, Dassault... Something I sadly forgot to mention in the video...

Paul

Journeyman
    I'd be interested to hear a little more about some of the stories of rescue you mentioned - I've read many threads speculating but don't recall ever seeing one which detailed an actual emergency.

Al
    Well it's a good job I've just acquired a yellow faced one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Cool video, I enjoyed it, thanks

Master
    Thank you. Nice work!

Master
    Old New Top Gear did a programme on this where they dropped hammond off on a canadian mountain with an emergency 2 and the other 2 had to find him.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jjfm6

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Old New Top Gear did a programme on this where they dropped hammond off on a canadian mountain with an emergency 2 and the other 2 had to find him.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jjfm6
    One of the best Top Gear scenes:

(When the alarm from Hammond's watch goes off as Clarkson and May are dining out)

"Oh! We really must get a move on!"

Turns round in his chair and calls:

"Waiter! Could we have the dessert menu, please?"

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by gee_cee View Post
    I'd be interested to hear a little more about some of the stories of rescue you mentioned - I've read many threads speculating but don't recall ever seeing one which detailed an actual emergency.
    Yes there are many anecdotal claims and ‘stories’ but there are some more documented ones out there too:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...172256991.html

It’s hard to conclusively state that the watch alone has effected a rescue that otherwise would not have happened but there are a few rescue stories out there.

Also of interest is how the Emergency II stacks up to the Emergency I, the only difference as I can see is that the other band (406mhz) triggers the alarm via satellite whereas the Emergency I does not raise the alarm beyond broadcasting audibly on the 121.5 frequency. I cover this in the video as its the 121.5 element that is crucial when it comes to actually locating someone.

In making the video, I must also state just how impressed I am that this watch was made in the first place! It’s a real step outside of the consumer comfort-zone for Breitling, a step they reaffirmed with the Emergency II. This is a serious piece of kit which uses non-consumer level tech. A brave and bold step for a watchmaker but one that in my opinion at least, qualifies them as a bona-fide supplier of aeronautical instruments both inside and outside of the cockpit.

Paul

Master

Could this wristwatch REALLY save your life?

Yes, if threatened you could take it off and beat your assailant to death with it

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I haven't watched the video as it's long and I'm at work but what's the WR on these? Is it still 30m like the older ones?

(...)
    I am convinced my orange one is fit for purpose, too (at least once I replace its drained battery).

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am convinced my orange one is fit for purpose, too (at least once I replace its drained battery).

Great pic! Replacing those batteries looks quite simple too.

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I haven't watched the video as it's long and I'm at work but what's the WR on these? Is it still 30m like the older ones?
    I think its 100m

- - - Updated - - -

I think its 100m

Quote Originally Posted by pthurst View Post
    In making the video, I must also state just how impressed I am that this watch was made in the first place! It’s a real step outside of the consumer comfort-zone for Breitling, a step they reaffirmed with the Emergency II. This is a serious piece of kit which uses non-consumer level tech. A brave and bold step for a watchmaker but one that in my opinion at least, qualifies them as a bona-fide supplier of aeronautical instruments both inside and outside of the cockpit.

Paul
    Totally agree. My Father (who is not a "watch person") has lusted after a Breitling ever since he met a pilot wearing one of the original Emergency ones.

I'm hoping I'll have enough saved in my watch fund to buy him one when as a retirement gift in a couple of years time.

Its main weakness resides in the fact it needs to be activated. Steve Fossett was wearing one, they still took over a year to find him.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Its main weakness resides in the fact it needs to be activated. Steve Fossett was wearing one, they still took over a year to find him.

That and the fact it only emits a signal for 24 hours I belive

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Totally agree. My Father (who is not a "watch person") has lusted after a Breitling ever since he met a pilot wearing one of the original Emergency ones.

I'm hoping I'll have enough saved in my watch fund to buy him one when as a retirement gift in a couple of years time.
    What a great thing to do. I wish you all the best. I got mine from watchfinder.co.uk

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Worse still. It has to be worn. According to Wikipedia at least, his wife states ‘yes he owned one, no he wasn’t wearing it on the day’...

Interestingly, Breitling state that the range and battery life (around 2 days for the Emergency 1) is equal to that on the locator beacons installed into the planes. Sadly it appears in the case of mr Fossett, the plane beacon also failed to activate.

I have an Orbiter version and wear it more for superstitious purposes, as I have more faith in the planes' beacon!

I did meet a chap on a plane who was wearing one. He commented he had used his successfully in Russia and when I bought the watch the jeweller mentioned some Russians popped in, bought one, went by Lake Geneva, set if off, got the attention of the authorities and were arrested, paid the fine and returned to buy another. How true these stories are I don't know. Never tried it with mine!
    Last edited by Nicholas; 22nd July 2017 at 16:53.

There would be a very limited set of circumstances where this would be helpful. Especially considering you can buy a personal EPIRB for the price of a Breitling service.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    There were a couple of polar explorers who tried to use these I believe. However, to activate one would have to remove gloves, which is not ideal. Plus I think there were range issues, which meant it was more of a nice idea than a way to be rescued!

Nowadays it's a motion activated EPIRB which must be paused when a skier takes a break (stops moving) or it triggers a distress call, assuming you're injured/ in a crevasse. Far more cost effective too!

Nice video that Paul. Very informative for some one, myself, who knew nothing about how the emergency function worked

Good stuff mate

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Nice video that Paul. Very informative for some one, myself, who knew nothing about how the emergency function worked

Good stuff mate
    Thanks, It’s interesting reading the last few comments below, There may be more cost effective ways of carrying tech like this but the whole point of this post on a watch forum is that this tech is built into a watch that you can buy (admittedly at a premium) on the high street.

I am sure that the vast majority of buyers will thankfully, never need to rely on the emergency function however the fact that its there, on the wrist is remarkable. The level that I’m at means I may, at some point talk about the watch with friends down the pub or on the golf course... If I turned up with a separate rescue beacon, I’m not sure I’d get the same response...

Anything can be deconstructed to function and cost like that but I suppose I’m celebrating the fact that my wristwatch has the same function built in to it and it looks pretty good too :-)

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pthurst View Post
    I think its 100m

- - - Updated - - -

I think its 100m
    (It's 50m.)

https://www.breitling.com/en/emergency/technical-data/
    http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch...ional_282.html