closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever had a polished case brushed?

Ever had a polished case brushed?

Recently I was gawping in the window of the watch dealers round the corner from Victoria Station, and was very struck by how much nicer I thought the old DJs were, with their brushed lugs in comparison with the everything-must-glisten modern ones. I've seen people's examples of having PCLs refinished, and so am wondering if anyone has had all or part of a case given the same treatment. And if so, how they then got on with the watch over time.

(This thought was also partially prompted by my looking at the watch on my wrist today which has a polished bezel with everything else brushed)

I would love to wear fully brushed Explorer 214270.

Poor ginger stepchild of a thread :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Poor ginger stepchild of a thread :'(
    Ha
    I would have contributed if I had something useful to say but have never done it.

Grand Master
    Changing polished finishes for brushed can be done .........but I wouldn't recommend it. Contrasting brushed and polished finishes work very well on most watches, so why decide to change it? How would you brush a polished bezel, radially or at right angles to the dial?........think about how it would look! I always decline requests to alter watches this way because I don't want the hassle when the owner decides it looks wrong.

Generally, I'm not a fan of altering the appearance of watches in this way. I've literally spent hours trying to establish the original finish for some vintage watches that have ended up on my bench, I'm a great believer in getting it right........usually the designers got the designs right and it's sensible to stick with that.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 20th July 2017 at 00:15.

There were a couple of Dreadnoughts that were polished, and one of them was returned to the original finish, here . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Tourby Watches in Germany will brush or polish at least some of their watches as per the customer's desires eg Meijlinder opted for entirely brushed for his:

I haven't done it (or had it done) but I own one that has. Sam/Pitbull666 had a SubC modified with the case sides brushed and the shine taken off the ceramic bezel and I bought it from him. For some reason I haven't got any decent pics of it (and Sam's from the original sales posting have perished in the great photobucket calamity).

edit:
    It looks like I saved an offline copy of the original sales thread so here are the best pics of the brushed case:

Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 20th July 2017 at 14:20.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A guy on trf had his milgauss completely brushed bar the bezel. Looked great. I dug out the thread but sadly it's suffered the photbucket fate.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    usually the designers got the designs right
    Unfortunately years after the people who designed this

retired, they were replaced by people who altered the design to this

And now I'm wondering what this

would look like with beautifully brushed lugs. Not something I ever expect to have the pleasure of seeing, mind 😆

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There were a couple of Dreadnoughts that were polished, and one of them was returned to the original finish, here . . .
    Funny you mentioned the Dreadnought.

Once or twice I've considered buying another Voyager (to clarify!) to have it polished and then brushed... I reckon it would look great!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 20th July 2017 at 15:48.

Craftsman
    I once brushed my polished SuperOcean, here -->

http://forum.tz-uk.com/archive/index.php/t-274945.html

Pictures won't show up (I guess so), rename "pics" to "picspics" in the URLs, sorry :-)

It was worth it and the watch still looks great, no Rolex though!

Cheers,

Andreas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    ... am wondering if anyone has had all or part of a case given the same treatment. And if so, how they then got on with the watch over time.
    Maybe this should be in Mods & Wreckers.

I was modding an SKX007 one time when I asked myself how it would look if all the shine (there's quite a lot) were removed. I fine-brushed the entire case using a Dremel with the plastic wool brushing tool. It took a while but the brushed finish appeared very gently under the tool so I could control the evenness of the finish quite well. The end result is a watch that's a little more "tool-ish" (although I hate the term "tool watch") by way of being less shiny. I think a pic of it may be in my SOTSC post from a few months back.

I really liked the result, and wore the watch quite a lot for a while after that, but my Seikos, barring the kinetic, haven't been out of the box for a long time.