closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Caribbean in September.........

Master

Caribbean in September.........

Looking for some sun in September and done Dubai, Egypt, Canary Islands to death... Anyone ventured to the Caribbean in September? (supposedly hurricane season) planning for 14 nights so don't mind a few rainy days... Tried Tripadvisor and confused the hell out of myself- Any feedback greatly appreciated :-)

Master
    I've done Bermuda in Sept. Far enough north as to be unlucky to get hit, and better infrastructure if you do. Weather is still plenty good enough then too. Lovely place.

Master
    We love the Caribbean!

We've been to Antigua, Bahamas, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba. My wife has also been to St Lucia and Barbados before we were married.

My personal favourite is Antigua where we stayed at Pineapple Beach hotel, second favourite is Jamaica, stayed at Couples, pre child.

We went in August and September and although there could be rainy days these were few and far between.

It's to get out and about to appreciate the beauty of the islands and to get a flavour of the local culture.

Master
    Never even thought about Bermuda just been looking at the more 'mainstream' island, thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    I've done Bermuda in Sept. Far enough north as to be unlucky to get hit, and better infrastructure if you do. Weather is still plenty good enough then too. Lovely place.

Master
    I went to Margarita a few years back and loved it purely as it was something different, lovely unspoilt island near enough to Venezuela to enable me to visit Angel Falls, stunning wasn't the word!

A bit apprehensive about the weather in September but can live with a few off days so now just need to pick an Island-really appreciate the suggestions always good to get some recommendations, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    We love the Caribbean!

We've been to Antigua, Bahamas, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba. My wife has also been to St Lucia and Barbados before we were married.

My personal favourite is Antigua where we stayed at Pineapple Beach hotel, second favourite is Jamaica, stayed at Couples, pre child.

We went in August and September and although there could be rainy days these were few and far between.

It's to get out and about to appreciate the beauty of the islands and to get a flavour of the local culture.

Season really only starts mid November - you might be ok but you are still in the hurricane window, albeit at the back end.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    That's been the confusing thing, yes still in Hurricane season but loads of people saying it'll prob be terrible and then just as many saying it's the perfect time to visit( if you don't mind a little rain now and again)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Season really only starts mid November - you might be ok but you are still in the hurricane window, albeit at the back end.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aruba Dutch ABC Islands out of the Hurricane belt and fantastic places. Check out the Lions Dive resort on Curaçao

Master
    Thanks- looked at Aruba before going to Margarita years back, will have a gander .......
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Aruba Dutch ABC Islands out of the Hurricane belt and fantastic places. Check out the Lions Dive resort on Curaçao

I've been lucky and never experienced a hurricane, and generally always had good weather in approx. 25 Caribbean holidays, usually around Sept-Nov and Feb-March each year.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Side note' who pronounces it "ca-ree-bee-yun" vs "carrib-i-yan"

Master
    I'm with the first pronouniciation:-)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Side note' who pronounces it "ca-ree-bee-yun" vs "carrib-i-yan"

Master
    Thanks good to know- narrowed it down to Aruba, Jamaica and Dominican Republic- these seem all great value...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I've been lucky and never experienced a hurricane, and generally always had good weather in approx. 25 Caribbean holidays, usually around Sept-Nov and Feb-March each year.

Save yourself a few bob and come to Noting Hill Gate Carnival at the Bank Holiday weekend in August

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Done the carnival a few times- interesting is the word :-) for all the bad press it sometimes receives have never seen any trouble. Awesome day out and will no doubt visit again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Save yourself a few bob and come to Noting Hill Gate Carnival at the Bank Holiday weekend in August

We have been generally very lucky and a similar amount of trips - heading out again late November, but we try and avoid your beginning and end months.

Just worthy for the discussion that the locals in Barbados consider mid November as a safe time to gear up for the season.

- - - Updated - - -

We have been generally very lucky and a similar amount of trips - heading out again late November, but we try and avoid your beginning and end months.

Just worthy for the discussion that the locals in Barbados consider mid November as a safe time to gear up for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Done the carnival a few times- interesting is the word :-) for all the bad press it sometimes receives have never seen any trouble. Awesome day out and will no doubt visit again in the future.
    Well, if you insist. Go in November/later October..
    Last edited by VDG; 19th July 2017 at 01:06.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master

I went to the Dominican years ago, I think it was late Sept into early Oct (went for 3 weeks) and didn't have a single drop of rain.
    Another time I went to Barbados for a weeks spur of the moment holiday in January (lowest rainfall of the year for the Caribbean apparently) arrived on the Sunday, it was Wednesday before it stopped raining.
    It really is hit and miss.
    As aside note, I love the Dominican, I've been three times and each time was a great holiday. The only thing to be aware of is at certain weekends (could be every weekend, not sure) the hotel opens up to the locals, and they can be a nightmare with their complete lack of respect for others property and personal space.

It's a throw of the dice.
    If you're lucky, you'll have a few rainy days and lovely weather the rest of the time, coupled with fewer tourists because it is 'hurricane season'.

If you're not so lucky you could spend quite a few days inside, with the best part of 10 days ruined by the weather before, during and after the cyclone. It's an experience in itself, though...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

As above - too risky weather-wise as everything is outdoor so a hurricane or heavy rain would really spoil it. Went to St Lucia a few years back and it was very nice, but couldn't really see what it offered that nearer (Med) places don't at a lot less money?

We're not beach-holiday people though chez moi

Master
    Thanks everyone for the input- Def going to be Aruba or DR just need to decide which Island, both look lovely- sounds like it's going to be a bit of a coin flip ref the weather but hey ho whats the worst can happen.......... :-) Did contemplate something closer to home but love somewhere a bit different.....
    Last edited by Rob153; 19th July 2017 at 13:08.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We usually do Barbados in Nov and last time they had flash floods for a few days just shame it happened over the 50th anniversary of independence,a day later and it was baking hot again,just luck of the draw really wherever you go

I have done StLucia, Dominican Republic and Grenada went there in September and did have a hurricane, we (me & ex) had gone to get married. Maybe the hurricane was an omen

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Lucky escape literally......... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I have done StLucia, Dominican Republic and Grenada went there in September and did have a hurricane, we (me & ex) had gone to get married. Maybe the hurricane was an omen

Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post
    We usually do Barbados in Nov and last time they had flash floods for a few days just shame it happened over the 50th anniversary of independence,a day later and it was baking hot again,just luck of the draw really wherever you go
    We stopped going after some punk decided to have a snipping competition with local Poulice in da middle of the St L Gap in an otherwise uneventful afternoon. I don't mind when someone is taking a pop at me when I travel on my own, but not if I am on holiday and have to put Mrs on the floor after hearing 'firecrackers'..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    We stopped going after some punk decided to have a snipping competition with local Poulice in da middle of the St L Gap in an otherwise uneventful afternoon. I don't mind when someone is taking a pop at me when I travel on my own, but not if I am on holiday and have to put Mrs on the floor after hearing 'firecrackers'..
    SLG is very 'local' which is great if that is your thing - but as you say, not the ideal holiday with the Mrs.

1st week in September is actually peak hurricane season but frankly you can be unlucky and have a hurricane from beginning of May to end of November so I wouldn't worry about it .
    DR has some interesting spots and some very touristy areas too , generally pretty cheap. Aruba is much smaller and drier , no mountains and forests - you would be spectacularly unlucky to see a hurricane ( see Sept 2016 !)

If you want to see several islands have you considered a cruise ?
    If you start in Puerto Rico you can go down to Aruba and Curaçao in a week long cruise and still have a week in PR.

Master
    Another vote for Aruba from me.

Master
    Personally I'd consider a cruise. Been a few times and seen maybe 15 to 20 islands. Some beautiful places. Barbados, St Martin and St Thomas are my favourites. September is a bit risky weather wise as late November to March is probably the best but hopefully you should be okay. Not wanting to put you off DR but there are areas where they don't really advise you leaving the hotel complex to walk into town some do some research.

I like a cruise as it gives you a flavour of the islands. Most go from Miami or Fort Lauderdale but from November onwards P&O fly direct to Barbados.

St Kitts is also nice to stay. Grenada, Antigua or St Lucia too maybe.

Just a word on the food.

In Jamaica you can get a steak and kidney pie for £1.75, a chicken and mushroom pie for £1.60 and an apple pie for £2.15. In St Kitts and Nevis a steak and kidney pie will cost you £2, a chicken pie (without mushrooms) is £1.70 and a cherry pie can be yours for £1.95. In Trinidad and Tobago, that steak and kidney pie comes in at £2.50, but you can buy two for £3.50, while the chicken and mushroom pie is £2.25, or two for £3.25. They also offer meat and potato pie for £2, or two for £3. Their apple pies and cherry pies are often sold for £2.75, or two (any combination) for £4.75.

Those are the Pie Rates of the Caribbean.

Master
    I did try and persuade the missus into a cruise but she cant stand Boats/Ferries no matter how hard I tried she was comparing a cruise liner to a ferry crossing the Irish Sea(shes ill every crossing) I'm sure you heard it before but it goes something like the following:

Me- Where would you like to go?
    Her Up to you dear don't mind, I'll leave it with you.....
    Me-Ok, what about a Cruise
    Her- No, dont like Boats..
    Me- Dubai?
    Her- Nope been there...
    Me, Ok, you make a suggestion
    Her- No I'll leave it up to you.....
    Me, Sod it I'm off to the pub :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    1st week in September is actually peak hurricane season but frankly you can be unlucky and have a hurricane from beginning of May to end of November so I wouldn't worry about it .
    DR has some interesting spots and some very touristy areas too , generally pretty cheap. Aruba is much smaller and drier , no mountains and forests - you would be spectacularly unlucky to see a hurricane ( see Sept 2016 !)

If you want to see several islands have you considered a cruise ?
    If you start in Puerto Rico you can go down to Aruba and Curaçao in a week long cruise and still have a week in PR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Personally I'd consider a cruise. Been a few times and seen maybe 15 to 20 islands. Some beautiful places. Barbados, St Martin and St Thomas are my favourites. September is a bit risky weather wise as late November to March is probably the best but hopefully you should be okay. Not wanting to put you off DR but there are areas where they don't really advise you leaving the hotel complex to walk into town some do some research.

I like a cruise as it gives you a flavour of the islands. Most go from Miami or Fort Lauderdale but from November onwards P&O fly direct to Barbados.

St Kitts is also nice to stay. Grenada, Antigua or St Lucia too maybe.

Come to Turks and Caicos then !

Edit - just checked and today the ocean water temp is 84f and air temp is 85f but with 82% humidity feels like 91f.
    Last edited by MarkO; 20th July 2017 at 13:09.

MarkO

Master
    Now that's what i call a beach!

Edit - just checked and today the ocean water temp is 84f and air temp is 85f but with 82% humidity feels like 91f.

Master
    Just an update- Ended up booking Aruba, looked too good not to visit- Hopefully it looks as good as the pics, thanks again for all the suggestions!

I did try and persuade the missus into a cruise but she cant stand Boats/Ferries no matter how hard I tried she was comparing a cruise liner to a ferry crossing the Irish Sea(shes ill every crossing) I'm sure you heard it before but it goes something like the following:

Me- Where would you like to go?
    Her Up to you dear don't mind, I'll leave it with you.....
    Me-Ok, what about a Cruise
    Her- No, dont like Boats..
    Me- Dubai?
    Her- Nope been there...
    Me, Ok, you make a suggestion
    Her- No I'll leave it up to you.....
    Me, Sod it I'm off to the pub :-)
    I see you've booked Aruba, hope you have a great time and let us know how it was when you return!

For future reference though, to help you convince the Mrs to cruise, on the sea sickness point I have issues with motion sickness, boats, planes, cars etc. I even had to close my eyes and hang my head in the Star Wars ride at Universal in Florida!

We still do a cruise a couple of times a year though, I take a sea-sickness pill called Stugeron, works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post

Women are like Hurricanes, all wet and wild to start with, then they just take your house ;)

Blog Entries

I was waiting for you to jump in! This thread has your name written all over!
    Interesting to read your vision/experience regarding the hurricane season!

Funny thing: my 15 old son was talking with a similar adged girl from the American Virgin Islands (young people's hormones etc) and she told him that she'd never seen snow!

His response: "keep it that way!"

M

Master
    Oh Dear :-) Appreciate the advice I'll mention to her and see what happens....

I like to go different places and I think Aruba fits the bill perfectly, cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    I see you've booked Aruba, hope you have a great time and let us know how it was when you return!

For future reference though, to help you convince the Mrs to cruise, on the sea sickness point I have issues with motion sickness, boats, planes, cars etc. I even had to close my eyes and hang my head in the Star Wars ride at Universal in Florida!

We still do a cruise a couple of times a year though, I take a sea-sickness pill called Stugeron, works a treat.

Master
    Thank god we chose Aruba over the other Caribbean Islands, hopefully they don't get hit too hard.

Master
    I'm hoping the original poster didn't get hit by the hurricane but there is a reason that its hurticane season.

I went to the USVI and BVI for two weeks in Jan 2007. ( best cure for the new year blues ever).

Myself and one of my best friends did an on board intensive sailing course . 3 ASA "modules" that would normally take 3months in total with a view to being able to bareboat charter at the end to day skipper level. We did it in 6days including exams. Another couple on the boat and the skipper.

We did have to study theory and revise for a few weeks beforehand. Which we did quite dilligently (the instructer was impressed and he was hard as nails).

One of the toughest things I've done . I don't mind admitting when we ventured out on that 42ft benetau looking at the inky black water filled me with dread. 3 hours of coming about and jibeing with us all taking turns at various positions and we were all looking at each other as if we'd made a terrible mistake.

I asked the skipper if he had any advice about blisters as I'd already left bits of fingernail, skin and blood on the deck.

"Yeargh!" he said in his thick Bostonian drawl exactly like Quint from Jaws. "Don't get em!" followed by piratical hysterical laughter.

I spent a few days with gaffer tape around my fingers.

My mate threatened to quit on the 3rd day . He was much fitter and generally less taciturn and cynical than me. I reassured him it was going to be something he'd look back on as one of the best things he'd done. He decried the fact he was getting up at 6am to bleach down the deck (all that skin and blood from soft hands). Possibly make breakfast if it was his turn, then sit a timed exam before spending the day in the sun with some screaming boston guy mocking him.

I told him we'd get a local skipper to help us tale the load off with week 2. (Ironic as he had accused me of wimping out at the start as there were only two of us and three would be the preferred number).

American couple crewmates on board were nice enough. Bloke thought he was experienced as he'd done some racing as a winch-man. His wife was seemingly just come along for the ride,she decided she hated sailing on day one. Whenever we sat an exam , her husband would make a big show of pushing back when he was finished and heading up top. His wife was almost in tears as he left her below.

Me and my mate would politely cough and slide our answer sheets over under her nose . The skipper saw us doing this once or twice and decided discretion was the better part of valour and swaggered back up top for another cigarette (exposing his plain to see bypass scar whilst puffing vigorously on deck).

I had managed to endear myself to the skipper through a combination of insisting to pay for dinner when we were ashore some place swanky (painkiller cocktails are well named when you are sailing I have to say). And also by generally trying my best and not being an asshole. The evenings when you moor up after a good 7 hours hard sailing (for a novice)

One day we were anchoring in broken shell at Jost Van Dyke. I was on the wheel and throttle. Trying to get the anchor to set. Everyone was up front messing with the anchor winch (I like to think I'd been trusted with a responsible position but maybe I was just being kept out of harms way).

Behind us about maybe 70ft was a big Hinkley (easily 50ft). Google a Hinkley yacht .. beautiful things , I will have one eventually... I'm sure.

As the rest are up the front they bring up the anchor . I can feel the boat strain and think to myself that's a bit funny.

Up she comes .... with another great dirty anchor caught up in it.

American husband screams out " We've got somebody's anchor!"

Skipper vaults across the deck , grabs matey boy by the throat and says "Are you crazy , shut the "hell" up."

We drop both anchors.

I'm in the cockpit , everyone else is forward at the winch. I hear a voice behind me calling out , "Hey you guys ! ".

I turn around. There is a hugely overweight elderly American gentleman on the deck of the Hinkley... wearing speedos or a g string (hard to tell).

No one else is within earshot . I turn around an jovially give a hearty response " Hallo , how you doing?".

Hinkley man is non-plussed "Yeah... do you guys have my anchor ??!!"

Quickly I think of a response " Yeah!" I drawl.
    "Its a kinda buy one get one free kinda thing don't you know."

Hinkley man , looks confused , waves at me . "Uh okay ... hey have fun!"

I thank him. We drop the anchor... bounce off Hinkley man's anchor and getset properly within 3minutes .

Skipper , flustered looking comes to me, I explain what has transpired. Skipper is very pleased .

I ask him "shouldn't we tell him we disppaced his anchor , he might drag and drift at night (all loose shell anchorage remember).

Skipper says "Well if he drifts and we notice we'll offer to help him".

Spent the evening in Foxy's bar getting hammered. Spent the night waking up and rushing on deck whenever the boat shifted.

I passed my exams and practical at about 94%.

Second week chartering a rickety 37ft jeanau and pottering about with a local skipper was an eyeopener after week one in that it was possible to sail yet also relax at the same time.

Gave me a totally new outlook on life. I quit my job 5 months later. Same industry but just took some risks and jumped further up the ladder.

The best "holiday" I've ever had. 10 years ago. Next I'm trying the Maldives as its nearby as I'm now mainly based in India.

Thank god we chose Aruba over the other Caribbean Islands, hopefully they don't get hit too hard.
    Interesting thread in retrospect. Well done for doing your research, Aruba is lovely spot.

Master
    Definitely one of those those 'thank christ I did' moments- for any of you wanting a quiet Caribbean island then can't recommend Aruba enough- only been here for a short while but falling in love with place- idyllic beaches, turquoise waters, people ever so friendly........

Think I'm going to enjoy the next week or so :-)

Thoughts with all those being hammered by the hurricane,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    If it's sun and beach you want, September in any of the southern Greek islands,Kos,Crete, Ios etc is the best time to visit. Mid thirties,no rain and bearable evenings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I'm hoping the original poster didn't get hit by the hurricane but there is a reason that its hurticane season.

I went to the USVI and BVI for two weeks in Jan 2007. ( best cure for the new year blues ever).

Myself and one of my best friends did an on board intensive sailing course . 3 ASA "modules" that would normally take 3months in total with a view to being able to bareboat charter at the end to day skipper level. We did it in 6days including exams. Another couple on the boat and the skipper.

We did have to study theory and revise for a few weeks beforehand. Which we did quite dilligently (the instructer was impressed and he was hard as nails).

One of the toughest things I've done . I don't mind admitting when we ventured out on that 42ft benetau looking at the inky black water filled me with dread. 3 hours of coming about and jibeing with us all taking turns at various positions and we were all looking at each other as if we'd made a terrible mistake.

I asked the skipper if he had any advice about blisters as I'd already left bits of fingernail, skin and blood on the deck.

"Yeargh!" he said in his thick Bostonian drawl exactly like Quint from Jaws. "Don't get em!" followed by piratical hysterical laughter.

I spent a few days with gaffer tape around my fingers.

My mate threatened to quit on the 3rd day . He was much fitter and generally less taciturn and cynical than me. I reassured him it was going to be something he'd look back on as one of the best things he'd done. He decried the fact he was getting up at 6am to bleach down the deck (all that skin and blood from soft hands). Possibly make breakfast if it was his turn, then sit a timed exam before spending the day in the sun with some screaming boston guy mocking him.

I told him we'd get a local skipper to help us tale the load off with week 2. (Ironic as he had accused me of wimping out at the start as there were only two of us and three would be the preferred number).

American couple crewmates on board were nice enough. Bloke thought he was experienced as he'd done some racing as a winch-man. His wife was seemingly just come along for the ride,she decided she hated sailing on day one. Whenever we sat an exam , her husband would make a big show of pushing back when he was finished and heading up top. His wife was almost in tears as he left her below.

Me and my mate would politely cough and slide our answer sheets over under her nose . The skipper saw us doing this once or twice and decided discretion was the better part of valour and swaggered back up top for another cigarette (exposing his plain to see bypass scar whilst puffing vigorously on deck).

I had managed to endear myself to the skipper through a combination of insisting to pay for dinner when we were ashore some place swanky (painkiller cocktails are well named when you are sailing I have to say). And also by generally trying my best and not being an asshole. The evenings when you moor up after a good 7 hours hard sailing (for a novice)

One day we were anchoring in broken shell at Jost Van Dyke. I was on the wheel and throttle. Trying to get the anchor to set. Everyone was up front messing with the anchor winch (I like to think I'd been trusted with a responsible position but maybe I was just being kept out of harms way).

Behind us about maybe 70ft was a big Hinkley (easily 50ft). Google a Hinkley yacht .. beautiful things , I will have one eventually... I'm sure.

As the rest are up the front they bring up the anchor . I can feel the boat strain and think to myself that's a bit funny.

Up she comes .... with another great dirty anchor caught up in it.

American husband screams out " We've got somebody's anchor!"

Skipper vaults across the deck , grabs matey boy by the throat and says "Are you crazy , shut the "hell" up."

We drop both anchors.

I'm in the cockpit , everyone else is forward at the winch. I hear a voice behind me calling out , "Hey you guys ! ".

I turn around. There is a hugely overweight elderly American gentleman on the deck of the Hinkley... wearing speedos or a g string (hard to tell).

No one else is within earshot . I turn around an jovially give a hearty response " Hallo , how you doing?".

Hinkley man is non-plussed "Yeah... do you guys have my anchor ??!!"

Quickly I think of a response " Yeah!" I drawl.
    "Its a kinda buy one get one free kinda thing don't you know."

Hinkley man , looks confused , waves at me . "Uh okay ... hey have fun!"

I thank him. We drop the anchor... bounce off Hinkley man's anchor and getset properly within 3minutes .

Skipper , flustered looking comes to me, I explain what has transpired. Skipper is very pleased .

I ask him "shouldn't we tell him we disppaced his anchor , he might drag and drift at night (all loose shell anchorage remember).

Skipper says "Well if he drifts and we notice we'll offer to help him".

Spent the evening in Foxy's bar getting hammered. Spent the night waking up and rushing on deck whenever the boat shifted.

I passed my exams and practical at about 94%.

Second week chartering a rickety 37ft jeanau and pottering about with a local skipper was an eyeopener after week one in that it was possible to sail yet also relax at the same time.

Gave me a totally new outlook on life. I quit my job 5 months later. Same industry but just took some risks and jumped further up the ladder.

The best "holiday" I've ever had. 10 years ago. Next I'm trying the Maldives as its nearby as I'm now mainly based in India.
    From experience: a true story, no doubt. I had my fair share of bumps and bruises on a yacht. And those anchors... Greek islands near Paxos and Korfu: anchor lines in the harbours are mixed up like spaghetti.

I never sailed in the Carib, my wife did when she was on the Uni. She and a friend put 'Learn To Sail In The Carib' ads in various women's magazines (talking late 80s, early 90s no internet back then) and what they basically did was chartering a yacht with 10 or 12 berths. With 10 paying customers, they set sail from St. Maarten (St. Martin) every two weeks, because St. Martin is easy to reach from Amsterdam. The whole concept was an easy way for them as students to make enough money for the whole next year on the Uni! Around the mid 90s, they changed the concept to sailing in Greece, because the hurricane season started earlier every year!

Anchoring in the Carib can be tricky. Some islands are the top of underwater mountains, others are reefs and are in pretty shallow water, easy for anchoring. Other parts are shallow at first and then suddenly there's a drop off, that goes down for -sometimes- over 100m. You can't anchor there. The dept difference also causes the big swell that's predicted with hurricane Irma: the water rises up from the deeper parts and is lifted up near the shoreline!

Menno

Master
    Just say thanks for everyone's input on this thread-

Got back today from an unforgettable holiday: Aruba 🇦🇼 I can only describe as the perfect holiday destination, if your thing is Stunning Beaches, Sea, Food and the most friendly people I've ever encountered then look no further than Aruba. I was blown away from the very first minute landing there, I've been fortunate to holiday in some nice places over the years but in my eyes Aruba tops them all!

On a watch note you won't be disappointed, I've never seen such a collection of boutiques in a relatively small place, you name it they had it.......... even SS Rolex in abundance, Subs, GMT Master( inc BLNR) at the AD there (Gandelmans)

Will I return? You bet..... Thank you Aruba ( One Happy Island)

Great news, where did you stay Rob? What was the highlight of the trip?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Great news, where did you stay Rob? What was the highlight of the trip?
    I stayed at the Tamarijn/Divi ( booked through First Choice, surprisingly good value) perfect location situated between the Highrise district and Downtown- Location right on the Beach, only two floors which kept the smaller hotel feel even though it was part of a a big hotel complex-

Highlights? Too many to mention but catamaran trip, Submarine Trip(150 Ft plus down) Shipwrecks, Reefs wildlife etc... springs to mind. Amazing food the list goes on :-)