TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inconsiderate parking

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    makes my blood boil

Nice van. It looks new.

Craftsman
    Glad that is clear then, I only drive a 40k car, so I'm not worthy enough to take up more than one space, so I try and park between the lines. I have a mate who had some leaflets made up offering parking practice courses, which he put on inconsiderately parked cars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    I have a mate who had some leaflets made up offering parking practice courses, which he put on inconsiderately parked cars.
    Excellent. Get a picture/pdf of them on here then so that we can print them off to use as required!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    I could wait for an available space,or shop someplace else, these options are available to all. As i said only if there are no other spaces.
    Yes you could, but you choose to park in Parent and Child Bays. Regardless of space availability or not I wouldn't park in a Parent and Child bay.

If there are no other available spaces i will use the parent and child spaces, i have no kids. The Blue badge spaces are off limits.
    I was in the supermarket a few weeks ago and parked in a parent and toddler space (I have a 10 month old and they make getting him in and out of his seat much easier) and there was a lady parked opposite with a little one in the removable car seats in floods of tears, the lady, not the child. She'd obviously had a tough day and emotions were high but she could not get her baby in her car because the space between her and the next car was too small. My wife and I went over to help her by holding her baby whilst she reversed half out of her spot to get better access, but I can imagine that whilst she appreciated our help it took a leap of faith to hand over her kid to a stranger so she could move her car.

Meanwhile the parent and toddler spaces were occupied, as is frequently the case, by inconsiderate gits who didn't need the extra space (folk like yourself, I shall point out).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I was in the supermarket a few weeks ago and parked in a parent and toddler space (I have a 10 month old and they make getting him in and out of his seat much easier) and there was a lady parked opposite with a little one in the removable car seats in floods of tears, the lady, not the child. She'd obviously had a tough day and emotions were high but she could not get her baby in her car because the space between her and the next car was too small. My wife and I went over to help her by holding her baby whilst she reversed half out of her spot to get better access, but I can imagine that whilst she appreciated our help it took a leap of faith to hand over her kid to a stranger so she could move her car.

Meanwhile the parent and toddler spaces were occupied, as is frequently the case, by inconsiderate gits who didn't need the extra space (folk like yourself, I shall point out).
    The sizing of parking spaces is beyond my control, this lady could have opted the wait or come back later, i only opt for the parent and child space as a last resort.
    There are also times when i need the space too, i have a lwb van over 7ft wide, i cant use a conventional space unless one side is vacant.

I could wait for a standard space or move on but so can anybody who cannot find a suitable parking slot immediately available.

The sizing of parking spaces is beyond my control, this lady could have opted the wait or come back later, i only opt for the parent and child space as a last resort.
    There are also times when i need the space too, i have a lwb van over 7ft wide, i cant use a conventional space unless one side is vacant.

I could wait for a standard space or move on but so can anybody who cannot find a suitable parking slot immediately available.
    Park on the road and walk.

Trust me it's easier than lugging about shopping and a kid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Park on the road and walk.

Trust me it's easier than lugging about shopping and a kid.
    This is an option where available.

his lady could have opted the wait or come back later, i only opt for the parent and child space as a last resort.
    I've never, that I remember, seen every parking space in a major supermarket being occupied (this was certainly not the case a few weeks ago when this poor lady was pretty distressed) and so imagine your "last resort" being extremely rare indeed.

The lady in question would not have to resort to coming back later if others hadn't inappropriately parked in the spaces put aside for those that need them most.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I've never, that I remember, seen every parking space in a major supermarket being occupied (this was certainly not the case a few weeks ago when this poor lady was pretty distressed) and so imagine your "last resort" being extremely rare indeed.

The lady in question would not have to resort to coming back later if others hadn't inappropriately parked in the spaces put aside for those that need them most.

Its rare, in fact twice in my memory, only at smaller lidl or aldi.

We have a bad attitude here and bad parking is part of it

Master
    In certain areas of the midlands like Dudloy(sic)Bloxweech(sic)Wulverampton(sic) et al most people are disabled (often due to obesity/smoke related amputations) and those that aren't have home-made or ebay blue badges so everyone parks where they want anyway.

I don't understand the logic of child-friendly car park spaces: why should the type of payload dictate a favourable parking spot in a car park? I may have a big dog, a bike or a heavy box in the back that needs a bit of extra room to manoeuvre in/out.

Why does a child and all the excess paraphernalia that seems to accompany them nowadays (prams with off road tyres, endless bags, supplies, etc.) guarantee a preferential parking spot closer to the entrance?

I can just about agree to the wider bays, but not the proximity to the store. That should be for those with mobility issues only.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I don't understand the logic of child-friendly car park spaces: why should the type of payload dictate a favourable parking spot in a car park? I may have a big dog, a bike or a heavy box in the back that needs a bit of extra room to manoeuvre in/out.

Why does a child and all the excess paraphernalia that seems to accompany them nowadays (prams with off road tyres, endless bags, supplies, etc.) guarantee a preferential parking spot closer to the entrance?

I can just about agree to the wider bays, but not the proximity to the store. That should be for those with mobility issues only.
    Because it is very difficult to get very small children out of the back of a car - especially when in a removable car seat. The extra space helps as the door can be open wider.

If they recognise that having to manoeuvre a child out of a car seat is an issue, what about those with a bad back, or elderly, who struggle to wiggle out of a partially open door? If they can't get out of a normal parking space the space is not fit for purpose. Funnily enough when we need to park in a field (school fete, boot fair, etc.) where no parking lines need to be observed, people park very reasonably, keeping safe distances between cars without taking the piss. Which shows that it's not the drivers' fault.
    I believe we should start a campaign where everyone would ignore parking lines in supermarket parkings until they take into account the increase size of modern cars.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    That's the stores choice. I'd happily park near the back of I still had space to get my kids out of the car safely.

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Because it is very difficult to get very small children out of the back of a car - especially when in a removable car seat. The extra space helps as the door can be open wider.
    If you read my post again you will note that I am reluctantly in agreement with this. My question was more to do with why these spaces are invariably closer to the entrance too.

Pregnancy and/or child rearing are not disabilities and they should be treated as such.

If you read my post again you will note that I am reluctantly in agreement with this. My question was more to do with why these spaces are invariably closer to the entrance too.

Pregnancy and/or child rearing are not disabilities and they should be treated as such.
    If it was your business, where would you put them?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Thank goodness I never have to park in those sort of places, it sounds awful.

Of course my wife visits supermarkets and shops every day but I never hear her banging on about how terrible parking is. She does like the chaps who clean her car whilst she is in the stores though.

I think most of the problem lies when people's expensive status symbols have to be in close proximity to ordinary folks cars, I could see how nerve wracking that would be.
    Spot on! Actually If they can afford a really expensive car, shouldn't they really have their shopping home delivered :D Seems the only safe way and you don't hog two car slots and the paltry charge for home delivery must be a pittance for them if they can afford a £50k plus car :-) Surprised that these people actually slum it in the supermarkets at all!

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Nice van. It looks new.
    Caravelle, 7 years old, 41,000 miles.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I suspect it's to minimise the distance you have to walk with the kids, so you dont have to cross roads within the carpark. Kids can easily wander a few feet away from you into the path of a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I suspect it's to minimise the distance you have to walk with the kids, so you dont have to cross roads within the carpark. Kids can easily wander a few feet away from you into the path of a vehicle.
    Exactly - nothing to do with parenting being a disability or whatever, they are positioned appropriately to minimise the risk of kids (that are small, soft, low, hard to see and can often have erratic behaviour) and cars (that are big and heavy and can do kids serious harm if they hit them) coming into contact.

If you don't care about kids' safety and think the positioning of parent and toddler bays is wrong, think instead that the supermarket is trying to help you avoid an awful lot of time-consuming paperwork.

Cripes, do you people all live in the suburbs or something? :P

Grand Master
    Everyone's blowing emotive hot air on this thread, but to me the root of the problem is obvious: car parking spaces are simply too narrow for today's cars! It's as plain as the nose on your face when you think about it.

Most 1970s cars were less than 5'5" wide, most of todays are 6'. 7"x2 = 14" extra gap between cars and that would make a big difference...........it ain't rocket science. Car parking spaces are still the same as they were when I started driving in the 70s, it's little wonder that cars don't fit them easily.

If you've got a large vehicle I see no problem with using some sense and taking two spaces...... it's OK for the mothers and kids to do it so where's the difference?

12 months ago, prior to a knee operation, I was struggling to get in and out of my car and I needed more space.........what was I supposed to do?

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 18th July 2017 at 21:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I do - and since I don't own a car - I drive my neighbours wide with passive-aggressive angst because while they are trying to cram multiple cars on the drive, mine is empty. For a while, one used to post his suggestions of what car I should drive via the letter-box.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If they recognise that having to manoeuvre a child out of a car seat is an issue, what about those with a bad back, or elderly, who struggle to wiggle out of a partially open door? If they can't get out of a normal parking space the space is not fit for purpose. Funnily enough when we need to park in a field (school fete, boot fair, etc.) where no parking lines need to be observed, people park very reasonably, keeping safe distances between cars without taking the piss. Which shows that it's not the drivers' fault.
    I believe we should start a campaign where everyone would ignore parking lines in supermarket parkings until they take into account the increase size of modern cars.
    +1..... our local Lidl was tecently rebuilt/redesigned and one of the sensible things they did was to make all the car parking spaces subststiallt wider than normal! It really does make a big difference.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I do - and since I don't own a car - I drive my neighbours wide with passive-aggressive angst because while they are trying to cram multiple cars on the drive, mine is empty. For a while, one used to post his suggestions of what car I should drive via the letter-box.
    Ha! Quality. :)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1..... our local Lidl was tecently rebuilt/redesigned and one of the sensible things they did was to make all the car parking spaces subststiallt wider than normal! It really does make a big difference.

Paul
    Only sensible if they've got the space. If ours was redesigned, would often be full and customers would either shop elsewhere or park in nearby residential streets.

One thing that's impressed me is that in America the standard for parking spaces in car parks is on the diagonal, i.e. you drive in/reverse out at an angle to the through traffic as opposed to at right angles. Much easier.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    One thing that's impressed me is that in America the standard for parking spaces in car parks is on the diagonal, i.e. you drive in/reverse out at an angle to the through traffic as opposed to at right angles. Much easier.

R
    Many years ago the car park where I worked was remarked this way and it made a big difference.....it ain't rocket science!

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    No. I live in the countryside.

All the angst in this thread makes me wonder if it wouldn't be more effective simply to save painting parking bays in these large open space parking areas, and try to educate people to take the space they need and no more.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    No. I live in the countryside.

All the angst in this thread makes me wonder if it wouldn't be more effective simply to save painting parking bays in these large open space parking areas, and try to educate people to take the space they need and no more.
    There is no need. As I stated earlier people are reasonable without the lines. And Tesco and the likes could employ a couple of parking attendants for the busiest times to help with the flow. It works in Leeds castle, and they have over 10 times the number of cars in the most crowded Tesco car park.

Master
    Driving an X5 parking in a regular parking space I certainly an issue- just no space to open the doors without hitting the next car. I have the side steps installed though So I try and park by regulate sized cars and their doors hit my steps and avoid the paint work otherwise it would be more of a concern!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There is no need. As I stated earlier people are reasonable without the lines. And Tesco and the likes could employ a couple of parking attendants for the busiest times to help with the flow. It works in Leeds castle, and they have over 10 times the number of cars in the most crowded Tesco car park.
    Sorry to have missed your earlier remarks. It seems that without the lines, most people will behave reasonably.

I genuinely (and naively, no doubt) believe that most people are decent when not under stress. Lines and their inadequate spacing create a stress. Nothing that most people can't handle on a normal day, of course. But if you're having a bad day they represent a constraint that you can easily rebel against.

I find it's worse in the privately run car parks, my local train station has had the car park outsourced to 'Pay By Phone' parking and was recently resurfaced, the bays are now even smaller than before to get more cars in, it's always at capacity after 8 am too. When square In a bay, my tyres are nearly touching the box lines both sides, not a huge car, VW Passat.
    Cheers..
    Jase

the root of the problem is obvious: car parking spaces are simply too narrow for today's cars!
    Garages, roads, bridges, tunnels and gateways haven't got any bigger either. It's cars that are now too big for the countries infrastructure. The car you buy is your problem. You shouldn't expect the country to rebuild it's infrastructure just to accommodate your choice of vehicle, nor should you be allowed to park like a turbo thundercnut just because you can't squeeze your choice of luxo-barge into a pre-existing box.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 19th July 2017 at 08:52.

Master

The difference is that you can leave the box or bag in the car whilst shopping, and I would expect that the dog would not be allowed into the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app[/QUOTE]

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Robsmck; 19th July 2017 at 08:58.

Master
    What about disabled people who park in parent and toddler parking spaces?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Garages, roads, bridges, tunnels and gateways haven't got any bigger either. It's cars that are now too big for the countries infrastructure. The car you buy is your problem. You shouldn't expect the country to rebuild it's infrastructure just to accommodate your choice of vehicle, nor should you be allowed to park like a turbo thundercnut just because you can't squeeze your choice of luxo-barge into a pre-existing box.
    Whatever.
    Car sizes have evolved for many reasons, safety being the most relevant one.

If the network cannot accommodate what the market offers one of them must adapt. In the case of the network I accept it represents such a huge investment that the current arrangement needs to work, and it does, mostly.
    A private car park that charges also needs to maximise returns so they will do everything they can to charge as much as they can get away with for as little space as they can, until the law forces them to enlarge the bays.
    But a supermarket car park is a facility "offered" to the customers. So the less it alienates them the better.

[QUOTE=All the angst in this thread makes me wonder if it wouldn't be more effective simply to save painting parking bays in these large open space parking areas, and try to educate people to take the space they need and no more.[/QUOTE]

Trust me this doesn't work. I took a week off my day-job in the summer to work at some Festivals, I was posted on Parking attendant duty one day and you'd be amazed at the number of idiots who would try to park nose to tail three cars deep thus rendering the middle row blocked in. Plus when you stand where you want them to park, arms wide apart denoting the space, pointing at the direction you want them to move over, or frantically waving your arms trying to attract people as if giving off the Team America international distress signal, do you think you can get people to park sensibly or as directed? Can you f##k! They'll just do their own thing regardless, certainly when you have festival traffic streaming into a field anyway in a relentless flow. Don't even get me started on the fairer sex drivers of X5's, RR Sports, XC90's et all! They were a complete disaster, at least you had a reasonable chance getting the chaps to park properly.

On the up-side, the latest parking standards have finally been revised to reflect larger vehicle sizes. Sadly this does not retrospectively affect old car parks, but the new Waterloo Lane 3 car park in Chelmsford City Centre has been marked out to new space standards (Good Practice) which are 2.5 x 5.0m, up on the old standards of 2.4 x 4.8m. It may not sound like a big increase but it really makes a massive difference. Needless to say this is my go-to car park.

Presumably so that the parents don't have to carry those too young to walk too far to the trolleys or leave them alone in the car (no doubt incurring the wrath of those with nothing better to do) while they go and get one?

It makes sense, it's those, with no impediments, too f***ing lazy to walk a little further who cause the problems...

M.

PS I have no disabilities (recognized anyway!) or babies/toddlers, but I can see that it's a lot easier for me to get from 100 yards away in a car park than it is a young woman with a 2 year old and a baby. Clearly those fat women with a Mitsubishi Showgirl or some Mercedes P-Wagen consider their idleness a 'registered disability' (who knows, maybe it is?)
    Last edited by snowman; 19th July 2017 at 10:30.

Grand Master
    Cars are too fat, people are too fat, everythings just getting fatter thesedays including watches.........yet parking spaces don`t get fatter and neither do integral garages on modern houses. That's another thing that needs to be changed, then people could fit their cars in instead of cluttering up the access roads on estates.

Cars should be taxed on fatness, tax the wider ones more and tax the boxy tall things that everyone seems to find so appealing.

Yes, that's the answer.........now what was the question?

Master
    Cars are too fat, people are too fat, everythings just getting fatter thesedays including watches.........yet parking spaces don`t get fatter and neither do integral garages on modern houses. That's another thing that needs to be changed, then people could fit their cars in instead of cluttering up the access roads on estates.

Cars should be taxed on fatness, tax the wider ones more and tax the boxy tall things that everyone seems to find so appealing.

Yes, that's the answer.........now what was the question?
    You may have unwittingly come up with a solution to obesity as well. The bigger the person the more they should pay, for everything.
    Why should a tiny person pay the same as a 300lb monster.

R
    I love it, completely sensible.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Caravelle, 7 years old, 41,000 miles.

R
    lol

If you've got a large vehicle I see no problem with using some sense and taking two spaces...... it's OK for the mothers and kids to do it so where's the difference?

12 months ago, prior to a knee operation, I was struggling to get in and out of my car and I needed more space.........what was I supposed to do?

Paul
    The difference is mothers with children need the space for prams buggies or just to ensure their children can be safely put in the car, it's just a simple curtesy. Being fat or too stupid to park properly or buy a car suitable for a city is not an excuse to park like an idiot.

If you have a disability that makes it difficult to get in or out of the car use the disabled bays, that's what they are there for not for the fat or the too stupid to park properly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Simple rules.

1) get there early and try to park at the end of a Row, in such a way you can open your door fully.

2) if option 1) is not available, park you passenger side as close to the other cars passenger side - chances are they will not hav passenger or if they do will drive out before the passenger attempts to get in. The upside is that it also gives you more room.

3) never park next to the driver side of a 2 door - their doors are much longer than a standard 4 door door, but remember 4 door might be occupied by kids.

4) never park next to a PoS, especially one that hasn't been cleaned recently - this also goes for trade vehicles.

5) if all else fails try to park next to a car worth more than yours

6) if you know parking is going to be a struggle take the wife's car

Finally remember that patience is a Virtue to be cherished.
    Can I add no 7 don't park next to a people carrier. This suggests young persons are being transported. I've seen the standard method of children opening car doors that are too heavy for them...... stage 1 lift handle and slide across the seat slightly away from the door. Stage 2 lift both feet with legs bent and place feet against door. Stage three straighten legs as quickly as possible until door hits the car parked next to you and exit the vehicle

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Can I add no 7 don't park next to a people carrier. This suggests young persons are being transported. I've seen the standard method of children opening car doors that are too heavy for them...... stage 1 lift handle and slide across the seat slightly away from the door. Stage 2 lift both feet with legs bent and place feet against door. Stage three straighten legs as quickly as possible until door hits the car parked next to you and exit the vehicle

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Don't most MPV's have sliding rear doors?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    You may have unwittingly come up with a solution to obesity as well. The bigger the person the more they should pay, for everything.
    Why should a tiny person pay the same as a 300lb monster.
    and can we apply this same policy to air travel? Why does the airline want to charge me something ridiculous like twenty quid for an extra kilo of luggage but the 200Kg biffa squeezed into the seat next to me paid exactly the same price for their ticket?