closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inconsiderate parking

I pretty OK with taking 2 parking spaces if you are precious about your car but do it at the far away end of the car park where there is space to burn.

Taking 2 spaces near the shop or taking a mother and child space is lazy and selfish.

Is it ok to park in a child space after the watershed without risk of having ones eyes gouged out by a parent who should have put their nipper to bed?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Had someone swing their door into what was at the time my company car whilst they were removing their slob-self from their car, with such force it rocked my car (5 series, so not a light weight!). Got out and approached him about the ding & his response was 'they happen mate, get over it'. Red mist descended & the dent left in his door as I opened mine as hard as possible would be described as 'sizeable'. He stared in disbelief & I just uttered back to him 'they happen'. He ran off looking good at me like I was slightly mental. The inner child in me took over that day, and not proud, but the look on his face still makes me smile.

Worst parking I ever saw was in centre parks after a friend took us there for a long weekend. Unbelievable on another level, it would appear that on unloading / loading cars up, the rules are to park as close to your villa as possible with no regard for the ability to pass your car & family, undoes all of the car free relaxing trying to leave. Although the last time we were there, 2 muppets parked so close to me in the car park I had to get into my car via the boot & clamber over the seats. Valve keys are a very underestimated retaliation tool!

Inconsiderate parking is just selfish & one of the few things that winds me up. I never park over 2 spaces, but will actively seek out the wider space, out of the way & hope the magnet effect doesn't happen. An old sales director used to park his lambo in the middle of 4 spaces for safety & his sales team used to take turns in seeing who could park as close as possible to frustrate him. That game stopped after someone allegedly sneezed while getting close & their foot slipped off the clutch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I pretty OK with taking 2 parking spaces if you are precious about your car but do it at the far away end of the car park where there is space to burn.

Taking 2 spaces near the shop or taking a mother and child space is lazy and selfish.
    Agree, so long as those spaces won't be required. If it's a busy day, it doesn't matter where you PLAC ...reference to the website.

I park in hospital car parks every day and at certain times it's a nightmare to find a spot, I sometimes stalk people that are returning to their car, one nice chap, when asked, said yes, he was leaving and I could have his space and I followed him as he walked to it, when he got there I declined his space as it was a disabled space in which he had his 15 year old lowered, bespoilered, rusty BMW 320 , he seemed incredulous that I didn't want to and ended up laughing at me, he of course wasn't in the slightest bit disabled ( not physically anyway)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Simple rules.

1) get there early and try to park at the end of a Row, in such a way you can open your door fully.

2) if option 1) is not available, park you passenger side as close to the other cars passenger side - chances are they will not hav passenger or if they do will drive out before the passenger attempts to get in. The upside is that it also gives you more room.

3) never park next to the driver side of a 2 door - their doors are much longer than a standard 4 door door, but remember 4 door might be occupied by kids.

4) never park next to a PoS, especially one that hasn't been cleaned recently - this also goes for trade vehicles.

5) if all else fails try to park next to a car worth more than yours

6) if you know parking is going to be a struggle take the wife's car

Finally remember that patience is a Virtue to be cherished.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Simple rules.

1) get there early and try to park at the end of a Row, in such a way you can open your door fully.

2) if option 1) is not available, park you passenger side as close to the other cars passenger side - chances are they will not hav passenger or if they do will drive out before the passenger attempts to get in. The upside is that it also gives you more room.

3) never park next to the driver side of a 2 door - their doors are much longer than a standard 4 door door, but remember 4 door might be occupied by kids.

4) never park next to a PoS, especially one that hasn't been cleaned recently - this also goes for trade vehicles.

Amen! Weirdly find returning to Wilts that parking becomes less of a skill, as do roundabouts! No offence, 18 formative years in Bradford & Trowbridge!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Sorry, but I do that. Stops the fuckwits which are abundance in the U.K. parking too close. Problem? Spend £50k on a car, and then some twat parks too close and puts a ding in the door. Sorry, but no. A real bugbear of mine. Perhaps our spaces could be bigger. The average family car now is akin to 150% bigger than it was ten years ago. The French are not much better btw.
    50k isn't exactly a lot these days, low mi range. Have you seen some of the motors folk have around here. Oh well we can keep dreaming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always laugh at myself when I park in the vast wastelands of USA parking spaces. I end up right at the front and close to left of the space.

When I get out I see about three foot of empty space on the right of the car and about 5 foot of white lines extending beyond the rear of the car.

Either I need a bigger rental car, or it's the ingrained habit of parking in the tight UK parking spaces.

Craftsman
    It bothers me when I get new dings and scratches on my car, but I still wouldn't park covering 2 spaces or in disabled or parent and child spaces (without a child or a disabled person). We generally use the Avensis estate when we go to the supermarket etc, as the Mrs isn't as precious about her car as I am with mine.

My youngest daughter can't walk very far because she is recovering from a chemotherapy drug that affected her nerve endings. For much of last year she was in a mobility pushchair. We don't qualify for a Blue Badge because we are not permanently residing in the UK, so we rely on being able to use a parent and child spot at supermarkets. It's very frustrating if they are taken up by those who don't need them (and in general I think that it is laziness rather than protecting their vehicle from a ding).
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 17th July 2017 at 22:51.

I search out lone cars in car parks and park right next to them....

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Car stalker.

Blog Entries
    Are you the clown that blocked me in in Birmingham last week ?

z

I think you're doing public service. I watched a youtube video the other day showing some chap going ballistic because somebody has parked beside him.

These people really need to relax a little, I can't imaging how they'd cope faced with a major catastrophe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Simple rules.

The easiest option is to retire and drive about when it is quiet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    At what purchase price does the car getting a ding become acceptable? £40k? £35k? How about £25K? I paid £7k for mine and it was immaculate and I get pi55ed off with inconsiderate slobs as much as the more well-heeled next man, but I still accept that other people have a right to not be inconvenienced by selfish "considerably richer than thou" types.

Anyway, surely if you can afford a £50k car you can afford to repair the odd ding – it goes with the territory of driving in broken Britain

EDIT: Just realised this was G&D so edited the swearing in quote
    I always look for spaces which are either wider or on the end so giving more space. Saves the idiots having to park their £200 bangers close and denting my car. (and in the past I drove a lot of sub £200 bangers so I'm not a snob just don't like idiots)

Even so still came back the other day to find a van literally 12 inches from my car with loads of room the other side. Must have given him such pleasure to inconvenience me. And yes I can afford to repair the odd ding, but does that mean it's ok to scratch my car? Had scratches along passenger and rear doors on the nearside about hand height (strange that) within 2 weeks of picking the car up last year. Hope they enjoyed doing it probably the only fun in their sad lives that week.

A lot of it is just jealousy. People are jealous of other people having something they can't afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    50k isn't exactly a lot these days, low mi range. Have you seen some of the motors folk have around here. Oh well we can keep dreaming!
    Indeed, I'm not even certain which admission there is more embarrassing: becoming emotional about a commodity-grade car, or lacking a driver. :P

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Are you the clown that blocked me in in Birmingham last week ?

z
    No, Zelig. It was me, I think. Apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Now there is an idea.
    Here's another idea: edit your first post in this thread before you get a ban.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Whenever I go into a big Carpark I always park at the far end where there's loads of spaces ,rows and rows empty,but you can guarantee 80% of the time I'll come back and someone has parked next to me,are they dicks or doing it on purpose

I was in the traps yesterday and there were six others empty and some pervert picked the one next to me.

What normal person does that?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I always look for spaces which are either wider or on the end so giving more space. Saves the idiots having to park their £200 bangers close and denting my car. (and in the past I drove a lot of sub £200 bangers so I'm not a snob just don't like idiots)

Even so still came back the other day to find a van literally 12 inches from my car with loads of room the other side. Must have given him such pleasure to inconvenience me. And yes I can afford to repair the odd ding, but does that mean it's ok to scratch my car? Had scratches along passenger and rear doors on the nearside about hand height (strange that) within 2 weeks of picking the car up last year. Hope they enjoyed doing it probably the only fun in their sad lives that week.

A lot of it is just jealousy. People are jealous of other people having something they can't afford.
    I don't think it's always jealousy. I think some people just don't think full stop, and some have a low value/poor condition car and therefore regard everyone else's vehicle as the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I was in the traps yesterday and there were six others empty and some pervert picked the one next to me.

They know you're anal careful with your car so will also be careful with theirs.

It winds me up as well. Being someone who looks after his car I also park away from others if I can and actively seek out end of row spaces or wider spaces etc.

Parking in parent and toddler spaces and disabled spaces is something on a whole different level of annoyance:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Victor-Meldrew

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

50k is his insurance premium.:-)

Master
    Some pretty twisted logic being applied in this thread:

Surprised no one's talked about the "politics of envy" yet. Or is that jus the cause we're in G&D

Craftsman
    I'm sure you seen this but it made me laugh....

Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    makes my blood boil

I would squeeze my battered old jeep into that gap to the left of the van...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Out of respect I have never, ever parked in a disabled space, despite the fact that there are at least 10 times too many (been coming for best part of 20 years at just about every open hour).
    However I have no qualms in parking in a family space, and once had a 'serious' talk with a manager (I asked him to take me to the store manager and vented about the size of a normal space compared to the size of my car and told them that if they had a problem with me doing what I did they had the choice of making normal parking spaces wider (there are far too many parking spaces anyway, once again based on 20 years experience) or let me know and I'd take my business elsewhere. He apologised, and said I would never have a comment from a staff member again.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Now that makes my blood boil. When I see them do it I always say "Excuse me, you've left your child in the car / shop".
    I always used to joke to my dad that we should park in the Parent and Child parking space when he was in his 80s!

Heh, we met the criteria!

I noticed this and thought of the stupid people round here who park their cars on the pavement, rather than the road, making it impossible for people with pushchairs (many) or wheelchairs (not spotted any recently, to be fair) to get by without going in the road.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I always used to joke to my dad that we should park in the Parent and Child parking space when he was in his 80s!
    You were still a Child when your dad was in his 80's? Fair play to him and your mother for still going at it at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You were still a Child when your dad was in his 80's? Fair play to him and your mother for still going at it at that age.
    child

noun
    a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.
    "she'd been playing tennis since she was a child"
    synonyms: youngster, young one, little one, boy, girl; More
    a son or daughter of any age.
    "when children leave home, parents can feel somewhat redundant"

Hope that helps

M

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We have one of the large cars that irritate some people. In fact I was in a friends Bentayga the other day and someone actually stopped him simply to say "RIDICULOUS CAR!"

The standard supermarket spaces are very tight, but doable. But if the neighbouring car is not straight, it does become a squeeze. A particularly rude and cowardly man had a massive go at my wife in the supermarket car park. He swung his door in to our car, she went out to inspect the damage, and he gave her a mouthful of abuse. Annoyingly I was in the shop or might have had a red mist moment myself.

Also saw a very badly parked Bentley at our local Waitrose on Sunday, parked askew on 2 spaces (and overhanging the back of the space!). He was quite far from the door and it certainly appeared to be a message!

I always park away from everyone else, especially during trips to the supermarket. I only use the parent and child bay when I am with my two small children and on one trip I decided to stay in my car whilst my wife went to do a quick shop with my son. A young 'lady' parked in a normal space and was somewhat annoyed and gave a disapproving look at my choice of parking as she was taking her small children out of her car.

I got out of my car and approached her saying I noticed your disapproving look - would you like to meet my wife and little boy who are shopping. Oh no no, I wasn't looking at you. Yes of course.

I once saw a trolley taken by strong winds straight into a new 4x4 as the user just left it abandoned in a parking spot. The trolley bays are aplenty and people are just too lazy to return them - especially when they do not require a £1.

I am always surprised however when I see expensive posh cars parked in a normal space. As for people who take up two spaces, please stop - catch a taxi, buy a bus pass or get a friend to give you a lift.

How did we all survive to adulthood and beyond without parent & child parking? Totally unnecessary on all levels.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    How did we all survive to adulthood and beyond without parent & child parking? Totally unnecessary on all levels.
    Cars were a lot fewer, much smaller and supermarkets as they are now didn't exist.

I agree car parking spaces are probably too small for a lot of cars these days, even Hatchback style cars have beefed up and are fatter than they used to be. However it does irk me when I see people parking across two spaces like this, the van will fit in one space, the lines are there for a reason, unless this person was disabled and needed the space there was no need to park across two parking places.
    The British govt/councils seem to not want to cater to cars, new developments often have just as small roads as the old days, In NZ where I am from you can park cars on both sides of the road and still get two cars down most roads no problem at all, but here in the UK no sorry we are going to make it impossible to do that even on new roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Cars were a lot fewer, much smaller and supermarkets as they are now didn't exist.
    You must we way older then me then!!

BTW - ever compared size-wise a Silver Cross pram to a modern buggy?..........

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    You must we way older then me then!!

BTW - ever compared size-wise a Silver Cross pram to a modern buggy?..........
    I don't think so and yes, a pram is much larger than a buggy but that's the point, people walked to the shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I don't think so and yes, a pram is much larger than a buggy but that's the point, people walked to the shops.
    Mmmm - 40 years ago my family shopped in a supermarket. My dad always stopped on the way home from work, in his car, to buy food, so it's a long time since people did that (Sure more people shopped for fewer items locally, but it wasn't unusual to drive to the supermarket to shop, even then).

Cars definitely ARE bigger now, even compared to a relatively small time ago.

My new Golf Estate is a medium sized car by modern standards, but it seems to pretty fill the bays in our local cinema/supermarket car park (built 5 years ago or so) and the bays in the local station car park.

M

Master
    If there are no other available spaces i will use the parent and child spaces, i have no kids. The Blue badge spaces are off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    If there are no other available spaces i will use the parent and child spaces, i have no kids. The Blue badge spaces are off limits.
    How noble. If a parent has a new born in a baby seat , in normal spaces you literally cannot get the baby and seat in as you cannot open the door wide enough without putting the baby down on the floor, reversing the car halfway out . Then getting back out to put the baby in, try that alone and then in the rain and see how stressful that could be.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    This x1000!

What is it with some people? No matter where you park in a car park some idiot has to park next to you. I have parked on the far side of car parks near nobody and sure enough, some tool is parked next to me usually leaving little room for me to open my car door.
    THIS^^....i get rattled when salad dodgers park in the kiddie spaces or disabled spaces and saunter into the shop large as life , its just plain selfish and not because of X or Y

Thank goodness I never have to park in those sort of places, it sounds awful.

Of course my wife visits supermarkets and shops every day but I never hear her banging on about how terrible parking is. She does like the chaps who clean her car whilst she is in the stores though.

I think most of the problem lies when people's expensive status symbols have to be in close proximity to ordinary folks cars, I could see how nerve wracking that would be.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Clearly there are only two viable solutions:
    1) Use Ocado, or
    2) Only frequent Fortnums, and use the valet parking service.

Actually there is a third:
    3) Have the maid do the shopping

Although obviously all this would be avoided if the chauffeur weren't given the day orf, then he could stand alongside the car for the duration of one's trip to Budgens, thus deterring any inquisitive troglodytes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    How noble. If a parent has a new born in a baby seat , in normal spaces you literally cannot get the baby and seat in as you cannot open the door wide enough without putting the baby down on the floor, reversing the car halfway out . Then getting back out to put the baby in, try that alone and then in the rain and see how stressful that could be.
    I could wait for an available space,or shop someplace else, these options are available to all. As i said only if there are no other spaces.
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 18th July 2017 at 14:16.

Master
    I don't think I've ever seen a time when all the spaces in a car park have been taken up but parent and child spaces still available, and I'm in and out of supermarket car parks numerous times a day being a taxi driver.

I could wait for an available space,or shop someplace else, these options are available to all. As i said only if there are no other spaces.
    Nice edit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a time when all the spaces in a car park have been taken up but parent and child spaces still available, and I'm in and out of supermarket car parks numerous times a day being a taxi driver.
    only happens at the continental as they have much smaller carparks than asda,tesco etc,