closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Inconsiderate parking

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    and can we apply this same policy to air travel? Why does the airline want to charge me something ridiculous like twenty quid for an extra kilo of luggage but the 200Kg biffa squeezed into the seat next to me paid exactly the same price for their ticket?
    Can I get a price reduction on my shoes as I am only a size 8 where big footed oafs pay the same price for their size 10 or 11 shoes.

Perhaps I could get a price reduction on my trousers as I'm only a 30" inside leg thus saving a fe inches of fabric.

I am, of course, happy to pay the same price for my cravats as they only come in one size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Can I get a price reduction on my shoes as I am only a size 8 where big footed oafs pay the same price for their size 10 or 11 shoes.

Perhaps I could get a price reduction on my trousers as I'm only a 30" inside leg thus saving a fe inches of fabric.

I am, of course, happy to pay the same price for my cravats as they only come in one size.
    Well you can always ask ;-) tbh it's probably only as matter of time before the airlines start to consider this. In fact they probably have considered it but then held back by the PC furore that would result.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I do - and since I don't own a car - I drive my neighbours wide with passive-aggressive angst because while they are trying to cram multiple cars on the drive, mine is empty. For a while, one used to post his suggestions of what car I should drive via the letter-box.
    I am confused.
    I thought letterboxes were for turds?

When I come across cars straddling parking spaces I park as close to the driver door as possible.

I hope they enjoy clambering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    You already have won the lottery of life with those tiny midget feet - SC is like christmas every day for you!
    Actually I bet the cost difference in making a pair of size 10 shoes vs size 8 is negligible. The materials cost is a couple of cents and labour is probably, again, a couple of cents (if that). Shipping is the same because it's done on volume and they use the same size box for both shoe sizes. So maybe there's not much justification in making size 8 shoes cheaper than size 10.

and can we apply this same policy to air travel? Why does the airline want to charge me something ridiculous like twenty quid for an extra kilo of luggage but the 200Kg biffa squeezed into the seat next to me paid exactly the same price for their ticket?
    I've flown on flights whereby each passenger was weighed along with their luggage.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've flown on flights whereby each passenger was weighed along with their luggage.

R
    Which operator was that please? Just so I can make a conscious decision of choosing them next time ;-)

Having a google it looks like Uzbekistan Airways and Samoa Air.

a bit limited on routes to majorca then :-(
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 20th July 2017 at 12:58. Reason: google research

There is limited space outside my office - 10 spots but a big supermarket car park immediately adjacent- the other side of a wall and at a slightly lower level so you have to walk about 5yrds up a concrete ramp.
    The issue is once the 10 spots are full people park end on behind the parked cars - generally to go to the pharmacy- this happens all day long. It is such a hassle that I don't park outside my office as I don't want to get trapped while someone gets their prescription.
    This happens every day and for most of the hours the pharmacy is open - the " Don't park here " sign does nothing.
    I had a dispute with a guy who had parked over 2 spaces - I parked my passenger side very tight up against his driver side then sat back in my office to watch. He went apeshit- there was a police car in the car park so he went up to complain that I had hit his car. The police officer looked and could see light between the cars- I then pointed out that he had no road tax sticker, no number plate and when asked no insurance and had not registered the car ! Oops - he said he had only recently imported the car and hadn't had the time - you are supposed to at least provide insurance docs when you collect the car from customs and not drive until you have registered the car.

Which operator was that please? Just so I can make a conscious decision of choosing them next time ;-)

There's a number of flight operators who do it, though usually the island-hoppers out in the Pacific region. The most likely you'll come across would be some of the twin Otter operators in the Maldives.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Wouldn't be a problem if we were all driving real Mini's and Hillman Imps.
    Exactly
    But this is my daily driver, the amount of F@&%ing T£@ts that park right up close to me, the do get dings in their cars because the doors on it just fly open to the check strap. Especially when it's windy

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Exactly
    But this is my daily driver, the amount of F@&%ing T£@ts that park right up close to me, the do get dings in their cars because the doors on it just fly open to the check strap. Especially when it's windy
    And very nice it is too.

At one time I ran both a Mk1 Discovery and a new Jaguar. The Disco could politely have been described as rough as a badger's bum, had bent bull bars, mangled side steps and a NATO tow hitch.

Guess which car always seemed to be given a wide berth, both in car parks and in the Devon lanes? ;-)

R

Who was it who decided rub strips down the sides of cars weren't pretty, thus creating a whole load of work for their own bodyshops and a new dent removal industry? Ah yes, the manufacturers.

Gordon Murray designs lovely cars that weigh very little, so consequently are much more efficient, use smaller (cheaper) tyres and brakes, are incredibly strong, can be made locally using a lot less energy, are more fun to drive but I repeat, are incredibly strong. What we as the UK public want is something to stick on our drive that impresses the neighbours (see public perception of Golf vs Astra in Germany, for example). Interestingly the Evoque was designed to quench the thirst of mainly women (oh yes, 'tis true) who want something big and strong but without the negative connotations of the large 4x4. Car manufacturers do listen, and we as car buyers apparently want bigger and better cars, and have done for some time. There's probably a reason why every new Wimpy or Barratt estate is full of houses that look like replicas of Victorian, Georgian and sometimes even Tudor houses, but mostly the former, and with rooms 10% smaller than they were 20 years ago and so on. It's because we buy them. Autocar just ran a story on how cars are starting to become lighter, and as engine emissions are tightened and engines hopefully get smaller, I wonder if the increase in interior space will lead to smaller cars? Let's hope so.

Back on topic, as a public service and when possible I used to park my really tatty MX-5 next to nice cars in car parks. It probably scared the crap out of the owners but what I was actually doing was preventing one side of their car being attacked by a ten-year-old opening their door into the side of their car. I also knew it was unlikely I'd come back to find a new dent down one side of my car...
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    And very nice it is too.
    Nice parking sensor!
    :)

I've had it on Druk Air and FIGAS. As a bit of a lightweight I wouldn't be too happy about being charged excess baggage if I were a tad over the allowance, but it hasn't happened yet.

And very nice it is too.

At one time I ran both a Mk1 Discovery and a new Jaguar. The Disco could politely have been described as rough as a badger's bum, had bent bull bars, mangled side steps and a NATO tow hitch.

Guess which car always seemed to be given a wide berth, both in car parks and in the Devon lanes? ;-)

R
    My NATO says high to his fellow Landy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    Spot on! Actually If they can afford a really expensive car, shouldn't they really have their shopping home delivered :D Seems the only safe way and you don't hog two car slots and the paltry charge for home delivery must be a pittance for them if they can afford a £50k plus car :-) Surprised that these people actually slum it in the supermarkets at all!
    Used to go to lidl in my 911. Parked normally. Never got a ding. Parked my prior Nissan primera in a Sainsbury's and had a trolley ridden into it. No planning for idiots, just got to live life and get on with it, I guess.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    In terms of parking spaces, Costco definitely lead the way.
    Second that - finally A genuinely useful American import!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I am confused.
    I thought letterboxes were for turds?
    Strange thought, must live in a funny neighbourhood