closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Omega X-33 Regatta

New Omega X-33 Regatta

In an attempt to broaden the appeal of the X-33 from Astronaut wannabes (self included) and round the world pilots, Omega have introduced a sailing version of the X-33. Swapping the 999 day mission timer for a regatta function dedicated to the 4th pusher which will count down a chosen interval before the start, and which will then count up for a total elapsed time for the race. In addition the LGB (logbook) function allows the recording of time between up to 10 buoys in up to 2 races total.

It's still the same classic X-33 case with it's limited 30m water resistance - which should be plenty if you keep your yacht sail side up - it's main appeal remains the extremely loud alarm and complex countdown timer features.

New Omega X-33 Regatta

Actually looks nice but for peace of mind (however absurd) 30m seems wrong for its target audience.

The Oris Carl Brashear got a bit of a bashing for being a dive watch with "only" 100m wr. Granted this isn't a diver but still, 30m isn't much these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Actually looks nice but for peace of mind (however absurd) 30m seems wrong for its target audience.
    I suspect the point they are trying to make is that 30m is actually ok if you're not diving. Hence having a competitor in the America's cup wear one as proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I suspect the point they are trying to make is that 30m is actually ok if you're not diving. Hence having a competitor in the America's cup wear one as proof.
    I understand that of course and it's a lovely watch. Just saying wouldn't be surprised to see the WR getting a bit of flak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I have read the X-33 is good to 100m except the echo chamber won't take the pressure, hence the textbook 30m wrt. I may have to look at one of these as I have a soft spot for X-33s and ani-digitals generally.

Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

The Oris Carl Brashear got a bit of a bashing for being a dive watch with "only" 100m wr. Granted this isn't a diver but still, 30m isn't much these days.
    I've done a number of dives with my 2nd Gen X-33.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I like the look of this.

Master
    Is there an AA version or just the RAC one pictured?

I swim, snorkel, hot tub and sauna all the time in my X33 Skywalker and shower with it on every day. After two years I've had no problems. It has exactly the same kind and quality of seals as any other Omega. As previously stated the echo chamber for the alarm is flexible and so if you want to go and do extra deep scuba dives then it will probably damage the alarm. There is no reason to believe that it would leak with normal watersports.

The obsession with overengineered depth ratings is a creation of marketing departments. A watch with good seals will keep out water for all normal use. The difference between for example a 100M rated dive watch and a 1500M rated dive watch is that the later will have a much thicker crystal and case back and consequently be bulkier, heavier and probably less comfortable but the seals will be much the same. Either would be perfectly adequete for all recreational diving. If you exceed the limit of the 100M model by a considerable amount the case back will bend in first and may contact and damage the movement but it will probably not leak yet. By this time the wearer will have died! Then eventually with increasing pressure the crystal will break.

I would think the deepest most of these will go is in the sink when you wash your hands.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 15th July 2017 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I would think the deepest most of these will go is in the sink when you wash your hands.
    Reading some comments on the forum the kitchen sink would be considered ''risky'' by some with watches rated to a thousand feet or more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    They have history of this, the original x33 was issued to an Americas cup team in modified form with no hands for some reason. It had a whole separate movement variant letter so was an in house mod.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've done a number of dives with my 2nd Gen X-33.

R
    To what sort of depth Ralph?

I think that it looks good.

If the alarm function was omitted then the case could be significantly slimmer which I think would be a good thing - albeit taking away a function that is integral to the design, so that's not going to happen.

For me the blue details cheapen the look of the watch, and I dislike the small blue ring, perhaps the the RAC lcds could have been coloured instead? Do digital watches appeal to the sailing set?

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    For me the blue details cheapen the look of the watch, and I dislike the small blue ring, perhaps the the RAC lcds could have been coloured instead? Do digital watches appeal to the sailing set?

A quick scout around various sites suggests that cheap digitals are the most popular.

Master
    As a yachtsman I prefer an analogue, centre minute chronograph, to Digital. On a crowded start-line, it's easier to glance at the dial and see that it's around 40 secs or so to the start, than to have to read the numbers off a digital display. For that purpose the ETA251.252/ ETA 251.232 movement, as in the Breitling M1, is about the best out there. Which is why I bought a Fortis 644.27.11 with then Lemania 5100, then added a similar looking watch in an M1.

The M1's movement means that you can set the chromo to count down from a certain time to zero, before then start, after which it starts counting up. The split lap timer is also useful for checking times and intervals to other boats at marks, etc. And the quickset hour hand makes in good for travel.

Having said which, it is very similar to the Fortis and I could be tempted to trade it for an X-33 that has the same feature as this X-33 ENTZ LE version, , since it would also make a great travel watch, but I'd much rather have it in the more subdued standard case, with the standard dial and hands - I'm not so keen on the colour scheme of this LE

Master
    I think the blue on the strap is too much personally, I think it'd look a different watch on a bracelet.

30m, to be fair there is not much water in space.