timefactors watches
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: WF&Co Leeds armed robbery

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    315

    WF&Co Leeds armed robbery

    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...shop-1-8653539

    Here's hoping the staff are ok, I was heading in today to drop off two Rolex before I got a voicemail saying they have cancelled my appointment with apologies due to an incident at the shop, im amazed they called me with that going on, I thought they would have been too busy with other priorities so fair play!
    Last edited by trainspanner; 17th July 2017 at 12:26.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,282
    Wow, these scummy individuals are so brazen, or should that be stupid? I've been in that shop and it's right in the middle of the arcade, so they must have passed loads of people (and cameras) to get in and out.
    With a bit of luck, they'll be identified and brought to justice quickly!

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,541
    Not exactly accessible for a quick exit. Guessing the car was on Vicar Lane. Imagine lots.of cameras have this although it's probably a stolen car etc.

    What a great city I live in!!

  4. #4
    Journeyman Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nantwich England
    Posts
    108
    I hope the robbers are as stupid as the ones who robbed us last summer. Arrested within 40 minutes. Locked away from up to 13 years - 2 with no early release as already out on license.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    1

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,541
    Jesus. That's a few quid!

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,541
    One of the later editions of local paper are saying 350k

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Wow, that is some haul.

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    62
    They'll probably have a jeweller ready to grind off the serial numbers. The WIS community should keep an eye out for the goods

  10. #10
    Master -Ally-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,178
    I wonder if they got the stickers and warranty cards ?

  11. #11
    That is one hell of a list of watches. lets hope the scumbags are caught and brought to justice quickly.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,282
    Is that the full list, or did they really only target Rolex and Omega?
    The list of Rolexes is like a veritable wish list for most collectors.

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I wonder if they got the stickers and warranty cards ?
    haha!! funny

  14. #14
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...shop-1-8653539

    Here's hoping the staff are ok, I was heading in today to drop off two Rolex before I got a voicemail saying they have cancelled my appointment with apologies due to an incident at the shop, im amazed they called me with that going on, I thought they would have been too busy with other priorities so fair play!
    Unbelievable!

    (That you had an "appointment" to drop off two watches)

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,541
    Will they just be "fixed" by a dodgy jeweller so the numbers can't be read or will they make up fake papers etc for them? I know Mick P had mentioned the ease that fake papers can be made

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    424
    Makes you wonder why there is not a central database of stolen watches that the public can check. It's not that technically hard to do or indeed / maintain.

    Police, Insurance companies, traders etc can log and users can simply enter the make and a serial number, think DVLA Mot / Tax lookup.

    What a database wouldn't be able to show is false serial #'s

  17. #17
    Craftsman Diesel76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Colsterworth
    Posts
    338

    Oh dear

    I was in there last Thursday and always find the team helpful. Hope there not to mentally scarred by this and the scum get caught? Nightmare

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Makes you wonder why there is not a central database of stolen watches that the public can check. It's not that technically hard to do or indeed / maintain.

    Police, Insurance companies, traders etc can log and users can simply enter the make and a serial number, think DVLA Mot / Tax lookup.

    What a database wouldn't be able to show is false serial #'s
    Think there is, isn't there ? Sure Haywood set something up for Rolex


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  19. #19
    Master kaiserphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London-Islington
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Think there is, isn't there ? Sure Haywood set something up for Rolex


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    No there isnt. Rolex has their own internal checks which they will not share, Haywood has his internal one as well. But there is not "public" list.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    260
    Scumbags - glad the staff weren't harmed (physically anyway)


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,541
    A friend works in a high end clothes store just about opposite and watched it happen. I never appreciated the mental stress just witnessing something like this caused. They first thought it may be a terrorist attack and locked all the customers in!

  22. #22
    Craftsman Frakius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Dorchester UK
    Posts
    383
    Pretty sick, It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them end up been sold overseas to help avoid them been traced. I guess though even selling on ebay uk could work as nobody shows serial numbers in sales, and a buyer who wasn't on the lookout for it been stolen wouldn't know until service time when they would be in for a unpleasant shock. I wonder what Rolex does when it receives a stolen watch for service?

  23. #23
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    1,318
    I am sure that Rolex would not return the watch, and would pass on the details to the police.

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I wonder what Rolex does when it receives a stolen watch for service?
    They retain it. Lots of discussion on this in the past.

  25. #25
    Craftsman Frakius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Dorchester UK
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    They retain it. Lots of discussion on this in the past.
    OK thanks, I thought that would probably be the case. I would assume they would have to give it to the relevant authorities if it was stolen from a customer, as otherwise they would be holding stolen goods themselves.

  26. #26
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mayfair & Surrey
    Posts
    14,793
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    No there isnt. Rolex has their own internal checks which they will not share, Haywood has his internal one as well. But there is not "public" list.
    In the trade we all have every serial number sold or purchased on database and can search at anytime to ascertain where it has come from or to whom it sold
    Follow Me on: Instagram Twitter



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  27. #27
    Master kaiserphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London-Islington
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    In the trade we all have every serial number sold or purchased on database and can search at anytime to ascertain where it has come from or to whom it sold
    Really? so if a watch was stolen in Japan and i try to sell it in the U.K. you guys would know? I don't think there is a central database, tho i'm sure u guys have a trade database of the serial numbers reported to the police etc in the U.K.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mayfair & Surrey
    Posts
    14,793
    Just a call away if we have any doubts.

    Hence why purchasing from a reputable dealer who will insure against such an event comes at a slight cost.


    Instagram @blowersmayfair
    Follow Me on: Instagram Twitter



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    In the trade we all have every serial number sold or purchased on database and can search at anytime to ascertain where it has come from or to whom it sold
    What , the whole of the trade ? You know every watch bought and sold , since when ?!

  30. #30
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mayfair & Surrey
    Posts
    14,793
    Yes I have the details of every watch that I have bought or sold for a considerable amount of years since we have been computerised


    Instagram @blowersmayfair
    Follow Me on: Instagram Twitter



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Yes I have the details of every watch that I have bought or sold for a considerable amount of years since we have been computerised


    Instagram @blowersmayfair
    Ditto - it is just good practice, but amazing how many in the trade do NOT do this. Many don't even have a record of the numbers of watches they currently have in stock! This becomes clear when they have a robbery but don't know the numbers of the watches taken.

    Haywood.

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    This becomes clear when they have a robbery but don't know the numbers of the watches taken.

    Haywood.
    Maybe that is deliberate ... oh yes sir, we had 5 milsubs in the safe ...

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    424
    So the answer is basically Joe Public cannot enter a stolen watch, or indeed search a list.....

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by In the trade we all have every serial number sold or purchased on database and can search at anytime to ascertain where it has come from or to whom it sold[/QUOTE


    [QUOTE=100thmonkey;4424290
    Yes I have the details of every watch that I have bought or sold for a considerable amount of years since we have been computerised


    Instagram @blowersmayfair
    Yes I appreciate this but you stated that you would know where a watch came from , so I naturally assumed you were involved in a Trade only database . I guess most in the trade would have records of sales if nothing else for VAT records?
    So If a chap came in to sell you a watch and it hadnt been through the shop previously you work at then you wouldnt know if it had been stolen or anything else in reality?
    Last edited by Tomaitch; 19th July 2017 at 11:41.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post

    Yes I appreciate this but you stated that you would know where a watch came from , so I naturally assumed you were involved in a Trade only database . I guess most in the trade would have records of sales if nothing else for VAT records?
    So If a chap came in to sell you a watch and it hadnt been through the shop previously you work at then you wouldnt know if it had been stolen or anything else in reality?
    There are other databases that can be used, such as CheckMend. That uses police lost & stolen records, and has certainly worked well for my company in the past

    Chris

  36. #36
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mayfair & Surrey
    Posts
    14,793
    [QUOTE=Tomaitch;4425406][QUOTE=In the trade we all have every serial number sold or purchased on database and can search at anytime to ascertain where it has come from or to whom it sold[/QUOTE




    Yes I appreciate this but you stated that you would know where a watch came from , so I naturally assumed you were involved in a Trade only database . I guess most in the trade would have records of sales if nothing else for VAT records?
    So If a chap came in to sell you a watch and it hadnt been through the shop previously you work at then you wouldnt know if it had been stolen or anything else in reality?[/QUOTE]

    Very true. However as a business we insure against this and if sold then you are insured against it also should it ever transpire that it was lost or stolen.


    Instagram @blowersmayfair
    Follow Me on: Instagram Twitter



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  37. #37
    Master speedish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,606
    I walked through Victoria Quarter yesterday, the shop was closed and the windows were blanked out. It just looked like that the store has closed down.

  38. #38
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    255
    Crikey, I was in there on that day! They have some decent stock and are always friendly.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
    Crikey, I was in there on that day! They used to have some decent stock and are always friendly.
    Edited. Too soon?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •